It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Signs You Are an Unquestioning Atheist

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

I'm not saying that it is completely illogical or ignorant to be atheist. All I am saying is that just as religious people are passionate about their beliefs, so are atheist. If you don't fall into that catagory I commend you.

Neither do all Christians fit into the catagory of the other thread.

We are all looking for truth. Sometimes that quest is messy, and we all feel somewhat responsible for each other, otherwise I wouldn't take the time to post.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Romans 10:9

I have always pondered how atheists seem to discuss God more than actual believers.

Maybe because they ARE questioning, and trying to grasp what millions of believers think is real..

Maybe cause they cant fathom how its possible to so blindly and stubbornly believe what YOU believe, since they havent "experienced" god as most believers claim.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
ew ew I wanna stab

Originally posted by trueperspective
1 You think the statement “My linage derives from evolved lizards” is more logical then “A higher intelligence created intelligent life on earth, according to their kind.”

Hmm...The logical choice would be to admit ignorance...We don't know squat.

2 You don’t accept the idea of God, but you talk about him more then most religious zealots

Not an atheist, but those I know are not fixated with god or followers.

3 You despise the idea of faith, but you have a hyper-abundant amount of trust in “time and chance”

I have common sense, and faith in that. Not sure what are you saying on this one?

4 You despise organized religion by being a part of an organized religion against organized religion.

Here is a problem, in that we have different opinions that we all feel the need to enlighten our fellow man...this goes both ways. However I think wars over gods outnumber atheist wars.

5 You claim that religious people are brainwashed, but you spout off quotes from renowned atheists to defend your beliefs.

People tend to follow their parents beliefs...Some just manage to break free

6 Your best defense to the idea that religious people cram their beliefs down people’s throats is to cram your beliefs down people’s throats (Richard Dawkins)

People are free to believe what they want. I could give a poo what the majority believe, nor do I care to open anyones mind

7 You say the Bible is utterly made up non-sense, then use stories from it to condemn God…who you claim doesn’t exist.

I'm with you on this one. Why would somone want to condem something they can't even prove exists

8 One of your favorite arguments against believing the Bible is that it was written by men, but you unquestioningly believe science text books…written by men

How about the fact that our intellect has evolved along with our understanding of our surroundings...compairing modern science to the bible would signify that you believe the earth to be flat

9 You get stark raving mad when someone says God (who doesn’t exist) will send you to Hell (a place that doesn’t exist), and use that as “evidence” that God doesn’t exist.

Uh....this is hell. Why would I get mad at someone who speaks without knowing? That would bring me down to their level.

10 You deny the testimony of countless millions of believers, but trust the research of a few hundred atheist...and call that being "open-minded"

What testimony?

[edit on 31-3-2010 by trueperspective]

Here is one for your "open-mind"

a) How can a believer be so arrogant to deny ALL other gods, in favor of their god?

Did that other thread bother you?
Heck with it man...think what you want.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
One thing that I notice every time a religious thread comes up is that the atheists really don't have a firm grasp on the beliefs of the majority of christians. I think that this is part of what makes the divide so large. Most christians that I know do not believe the Earth and life were created in 7 literal days, they do belief in some form of on-going evolution, they do not believe the earth is only 6,000 years old, and they also realize that the Bible is not perfect, is filled with stories which are meant as a guide for the soul, but is based on facts as those who wrote it understood them at the time they were written and with the understanding of the world from that time as well.

I imagine the atheist position is misconstrued by some as well. There are extremists in every discussion, but their views should not be mistaken for the beliefs of the moderate majority.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by bagari
One thing that I notice every time a religious thread comes up is that the atheists really don't have a firm grasp on the beliefs of the majority of christians. I think that this is part of what makes the divide so large. Most christians that I know do not believe the Earth and life were created in 7 literal days, they do belief in some form of on-going evolution, they do not believe the earth is only 6,000 years old, and they also realize that the Bible is not perfect, is filled with stories which are meant as a guide for the soul, but is based on facts as those who wrote it understood them at the time they were written and with the understanding of the world from that time as well.

I imagine the atheist position is misconstrued by some as well. There are extremists in every discussion, but their views should not be mistaken for the beliefs of the moderate majority.

A guide for your soul?! It tells you to stone people, and chop there head of if there gay! What is worse, being gay, or chopping someones head off?

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

I rest my case.

PS - you do realize that civilization was different back then than it is now don't you? Most christians do.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   

reply to post by Phlynx

I rest my case.

PS - you do realize that civilization was different back then than it is now don't you? Most christians do.

Well yes. I still don't get how with the bible being a guide for your soul, and a very moral book, in the eyes of believers, they are saying murder is justifiable if you are killing Gays. I bet you some people still follow that today.

I did a little psychological test on my post. Adding things like !! ?!, and wording it differently makes people have different thoughts about me.
Anyways, I'm not an Atheist.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Atheist or not, my point is that you think you know what modern christians believe and clearly do not. That is why "christians want to kill gay people because it's in the bible" is simply another ploy to drive anti-christian rhetoric while being oblivious to the reality of the moderates that make up the over-whelming majority of believers. As I stated, there are extremists who will put forth any number of radical ideas and beliefs. Those are the ones that atheists and agnostics tend to quote.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
But did you care to look any insight of the history and the times of it? Just because our ancestors in the beginning of America had slaves and they had laws pertaining to slaves, does that mean we have the right to them? NO, but rather it is the freedom through the sacrifice that Jesus made that allows us to truly grow in a relationship with Him/Father

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Atheist or not, my point is that you think you know what modern christians believe and clearly do not. That is why "christians want to kill gay people because it's in the bible" is simply another ploy to drive anti-christian rhetoric while being oblivious to the reality of the moderates that make up the over-whelming majority of believers. As I stated, there are extremists who will put forth any number of radical ideas and beliefs. Those are the ones that atheists and agnostics tend to quote.

I never stated anywhere that all Christians are like that... just the ones who take the bible in a literal sense. Which is a lot of them.

Also, I wasn't quoting from radical ideas and beliefs, I was quoting from the bible. You proved quite well that in parts of the bible it is radical.

Why is it that you can pick and choose from the Bible? What makes one part right, and the other wrong to Christians? Not one Christian has followed the Bible word for word, so some of it must be "wrong".

I'm just saying all of this for arguments sake. Honestly I don't care all that much, but these are just some questions I want to get answered.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by SlapBassist531
But did you care to look any insight of the history and the times of it? Just because our ancestors in the beginning of America had slaves and they had laws pertaining to slaves, does that mean we have the right to them? NO, but rather it is the freedom through the sacrifice that Jesus made that allows us to truly grow in a relationship with Him/Father
Are you saying slaves are justifiable?

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I wanna make a new thread, and name it "1 Reason why Atheists and Christians are the same"

And then I will list the reason.

#1) They are both idiots.

That thread will be so win'.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
I wanna make a new thread, and name it "1 Reason why Atheists and Christians are the same"

/hug

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

Which is why in AMERICA, a predominantly christian nation, Gay beheadings and stonings are common every day occurrences right? Hell when i was out job hunting today i saw at least 4 gay stonings in the town square. Right?

Great strawman argument, now talk about how we are all misogynists and republican.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

It isn't as overtly done as you suggest but I basically just did that.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Well, I got some small giggles from both threads. Thanks.

Now I think it only proper for everyone to have a good laugh at themselves, relax and take the load off for a while before rejoining the Fray.

Enjoy the peace.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
This thread is lame to the N'th degree.

It's like me as an atheist saying:

"God is Dead. Believers are stupid. We win! Yay!"

Seriously, grow up OP.

Where are the moderators when you need them? This needs a nice juicy 'thwack' with the 'close' stick, and hopefully an injection with the 'WARN' potion.

Parallex.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phlynx

I never stated anywhere that all Christians are like that... just the ones who take the bible in a literal sense. Which is a lot of them.

Which would suggest that majority of christians believe such silly things right? Therefore the overwhelming majority of christians believe in stoning gay people? Are you bloody kidding me? You could at least have the decency to cite a reference for this ludicrous claim. I have not met a SINGLE christian that believed in the things you accuse christians of believing. In fact there are christian churches that support gay marriage.

Why is it that you can pick and choose from the Bible? What makes one part right, and the other wrong to Christians? Not one Christian has followed the Bible word for word, so some of it must be "wrong".

Why is it if one part is wrong ( I.E. It conflicts with your views) it suddenly means the whole thing is wrong and that all of gods teachings are false and to be ignored? When reading the bible you have to understand it from a historical context as well as its spiritual and literary context. The bible itself is rife with symbolism and supposed contradiction and you have multiple accounts of the same exact event from multiple authors.

Think of it this way.

Franz Kafkas Metamorphosis was a book that was written in Prague in 1915. Since then there are over 2000 different interpretations of what his book could possibly mean or convey. Kafka himself Said that he just wanted to write a book about himself turning into a bug yet there are still people who insist that his book is an allegory for the crucifixion of christ.

It is an incredibly complex book that can't be relegated to simple black and white answers. Any biblical scholar be they atheist or christian will tell you this.

I'm just saying all of this for arguments sake. Honestly I don't care all that much, but these are just some questions I want to get answered.

Then you need to avoid blanket statements. Intentional or otherwise. Both sides have a nasty habit of Blanket clothed strawmen.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeathShield

Originally posted by Phlynx

Which would suggest that majority of christians believe such silly things right? Therefore the overwhelming majority of christians believe in stoning gay people? Are you bloody kidding me? You could at least have the decency to cite a reference for this ludicrous claim. I have not met a SINGLE christian that believed in the things you accuse christians of believing. In fact there are christian churches that support gay marriage.

Why is it if one part is wrong ( I.E. It conflicts with your views) it suddenly means the whole thing is wrong and that all of gods teachings are false and to be ignored? When reading the bible you have to understand it from a historical context as well as its spiritual and literary context. The bible itself is rife with symbolism and supposed contradiction and you have multiple accounts of the same exact event from multiple authors.

Think of it this way.

Franz Kafkas Metamorphosis was a book that was written in Prague in 1915. Since then there are over 2000 different interpretations of what his book could possibly mean or convey. Kafka himself Said that he just wanted to write a book about himself turning into a bug yet there are still people who insist that his book is an allegory for the crucifixion of christ.

It is an incredibly complex book that can't be relegated to simple black and white answers. Any biblical scholar be they atheist or christian will tell you this.

Then you need to avoid blanket statements. Intentional or otherwise. Both sides have a nasty habit of Blanket clothed strawmen.

I used an example. I never said the whole things is wrong. Much of the Bible can be used for historical purposes. You just have to go through a lot of digging to get to the right piece of history.

It is a fact that people pick and choose from the bible... otherwise there would be stonings and beheadings.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
While its true that some Atheist's are only so for ignorant reasons...the idea of atheism is questioning how a society can be so sure of an all knowing being.

atheist's are a much more existentialistic people.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join