It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Signs You Are an Unquestioning Atheist

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
reply to post by Romans 10:9

Good stuff. I have always pondered how atheists seem to discuss God more than actual believers.

They are on " MISSION."

A mission from our Lord Dawkins and our God Darwin (both start with a D, must be something in that),

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maddogkull
This is really sad. Atheists don’t know anything. People who are religious do not know anything. There are so many arguments on both sides, to think one side is right, without us truly knowing what this universe really is....is just ignorance at its best.

This is why I was suggesting the value of a sense of humour. Knowing the limitations of our own certainty, even while we feel the need to adopt a position, we can perhaps laugh at ourselves and not just at others.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by eNumbra

Originally posted by hthjason
I think that's a stretch suggesting that defending a position is a sign of insecurity. That isn't logical at all.

How so?

It's an opinion, people disagree on opinions and this particular set of opinions is based off of observation based assumptions.

Some look at a tree and see evolution and natural occurrence and some see a grand intelligent design at work. There is no real proof to one end or the other they are both subjective assumptions based on an observation. Why should one feel beholden to the minds of others?

ALSO I didn't say defending it was a sign of insecurity, but feeling a need to was.

My mistake. I apologize....oops. I agree with your postion completely.

For me, it is a simple matter of faith that has been catalyzed by experience. I sure do see you point though.

Jason

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
UH OH was someone offended from the similiar thread regarding christians? I think sooooooooooOOOO.

I see both views, and to be honest i think the other thread had better points.

This is the thread im referring to...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
to say you dispise faith is a bit strong. faith involves most every day life. faith that the bus will come on time, faith my kids will do the right thing if im not there, faith in my partners ability to burn ervery bloody dinner she cooks, and faith that ill have enough money to have a good old jolly up at the weekend. none of this involves god or religon. keep the faith brothers in yourselfs and the pepole close to you.

link   

Originally posted by Zeta Reticuli
UH OH was someone offended from the similiar thread regarding christians? I think sooooooooooOOOO.

I see both views, and to be honest i think the other thread had better points.

This is the thread im referring to...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Not so much offended as thought, hey that argument goes both ways. And to be fair I did just think of these on the fly. True and relevant none the less I think

link   
i dont know but when i'm riding my bike and that 4x4 wheeler knocked out all the other bikers off theirs they went flying and and missed me, i believed in god or at least some other powerful force that makes everything happen for a reason... extraordinary things happen to each and everyone of us, it cant just be coincidence...

believing in god is a personal thing. i dont force it upon anyone and i dont like it when people try to disprove it

also gotta give you a star and a flag there, very funny and true !

[edit on 31-3-2010 by RizeorDie]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by trueperspective

Thank you Bro! Blessings be to you.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by trueperspective

Yea i figured you came up with these on the spot however the other thread was a copy and paste work. So i definitely have to hand it to you on your speedy response. Good points!

Sadly, i still do not know where i stand. I was always on the christian side of things, but sometimes things are so questionable that you MUST look at both sides respectively. Therefore i stand in the middle, unless someone waves a magnet behind my right ear then maybe i will feel differently hahahaha.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by trueperspective
1 You think the statement “My linage derives from evolved lizards” is more logical then “A higher intelligence created intelligent life on earth, according to their kind.”

2 You don’t accept the idea of God, but you talk about him more then most religious zealots

3 You despise the idea of faith, but you have a hyper-abundant amount of trust in “time and chance”

4 You despise organized religion by being a part of an organized religion against organized religion.

5 You claim that religious people are brainwashed, but you spout off quotes from renowned atheists to defend your beliefs.

6 Your best defense to the idea that religious people cram their beliefs down people’s throats is to cram your beliefs down people’s throats (Richard Dawkins)

7 You say the Bible is utterly made up non-sense, then use stories from it to condemn God…who you claim doesn’t exist.

8 One of your favorite arguments against believing the Bible is that it was written by men, but you unquestioningly believe science text books…written by men

9 You get stark raving mad when someone says God (who doesn’t exist) will send you to Hell (a place that doesn’t exist), and use that as “evidence” that God doesn’t exist.

10 You deny the testimony of countless millions of believers, but trust the research of a few hundred atheist...and call that being "open-minded"

[edit on 31-3-2010 by trueperspective]

I believe that I come from fish and still I am a creationist.

2. That's because those religious zealots keep tormenting me with that nonsense and I feel obligated to proof them wrong.

3. Faith is a beautiful thing.

4. Atheism is nor organised it's more about like minded people seek out each other in life.

5. Maybe an example ?

6.It't not a belief that drives us but the lack of it.

7. That's because you people only believe what has been written in the bible. Anything else won't work.

8. That's because science can be proofed or is based on proof.

9. Why should I get mad ?
Hell does not exist.

10.That's because proven fact out wages the imagination of the masses.

[edit on 31-3-2010 by Sinter Klaas]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by gandhi
Lol, BURN!

I'm starting to like the new ATS battleground.

Hey Gandhi...check out the post about China and India. THAT'S a battleground.

Jason

My apologies if this should be an U2U

[edit on 31-3-2010 by hthjason]

No, I'm glad you published. I think it is good that Christian/Atheist ATS battleground Threads do not loose sight of the real problems that we all face in the world today. Thank you for sharing your referral to Gandhi with the rest of us.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
I'm an atheist and I refuse to get involved in debates with religious believers anymore. Our world views are miles apart so we will never agree. So stick that one on yer list

All right. Would you discuss views that aren't religious but are spiritual? God does not equal religion.

Jason

I have never felt the need to have any spirituality in my life. I'm happy questioning the wonders of the universe, this is enough for me. I am satisfied. Do you believe i need spirituality in my life? How would it improve my life. I'm interested to know

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   

1 You think the statement “My linage derives from evolved lizards” is more logical then “A higher intelligence created intelligent life on earth, according to their kind.”
Well ya... but not in seven days of course. To get where we are today it took 4.5 billion years.

I would just like to say most Christians believe that the animals we have now have existed from the beginning of Earth, which is clearly wrong, considering we have found fossils of dinosaurs (most of them are no longer here today) and sequenced there DNA.

3 You despise the idea of faith, but you have a hyper-abundant amount of trust in “time and chance”
I have a trust in things backed up with proof.

4 You despise organized religion by being a part of an organized religion against organized religion.
A religion requires you to believe in a supernatural force that controls everything. It may be an organized philosophy, but it's no religion.

7 You say the Bible is utterly made up non-sense, then use stories from it to condemn God…who you claim doesn’t exist.
Atheists just point out the non-sense of the bible. You know the story of Cain and Able? The one who lived was marked so that no one could kill him... or something like that... he then found a wife, and had a child. One, where did he get a wife he was born from Adam and Eve, and Cain and Able where there first born, and they hadn't had a daughter yet. Two... who would kill them? Adam or Eve? Those where the only people left. There's an example of what an argument would be.

8 One of your favorite arguments against believing the Bible is that it was written by men, but you unquestioningly believe science text books…written by men
Well ya... who else would write a science text book, squirrels?

9 You get stark raving mad when someone says God (who doesn’t exist) will send you to Hell (a place that doesn’t exist), and use that as “evidence” that God doesn’t exist.
The reason I get mad is because people say I will burn for infinity, do to my opinion.

10 You deny the testimony of countless millions of believers, but trust the research of a few hundred atheist...and call that being "open-minded"

A few hundred? Let me just ell you there are probably millions of Atheists, and more Agnostics than Atheists. (Which I am Agnostic) There are millions of scientists who believe in things like evolution, the big bang (which I would like to study farther before I draw any opinions(and I actually study things to draw my opinions, instead as just putting it off as a lie because my book says it is)), and millions more people who aren't even scientists who believe the earth is greater than the 6,000 year old Earth Christians believe in.

link   
thank you for all the replies so far, I am at work and I am trying to control my laughter. Goodness, I love my religion. LOL

link   
Sorry, double post. My internet disconnected and when I hit refresh I hit resend, making it hit twice.

[edit on 31-3-2010 by Phlynx]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   

I'm an atheist and I refuse to get involved in debates with religious believers anymore. Our world views are miles apart so we will never agree. So stick that one on yer list

All right. Would you discuss views that aren't religious but are spiritual? God does not equal religion.

Jason

I have never felt the need to have any spirituality in my life. I'm happy questioning the wonders of the universe, this is enough for me. I am satisfied. Do you believe i need spirituality in my life? How would it improve my life. I'm interested to know

No, that's up to you. I was just wondering based on "religious believers" and wanted to make a point about the difference between religion and spirituality. Spirituality has improved my life, with my faith in God; but I would never suggest someone needs it in their life. That's yours to discover...if at all.

Good on ya mate!

Jason

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I am not religious yet I can't claim atheism.

I believe there is an absolute truth out there but it's not what any organized religion has found.

This may be considered agnostic but I don't even consider it that.

I am a seeker of truth and if that is not up to your standards of "God" then so be it.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by trueperspective

1. I must say I fit this point somewhat, though I know that our lineage as a species has little to do with lizards and a lot more to do with apes. It makes far more sense for things to be interrelated and interconnected and both genetic evidence, physical traits and the fossil record support evolution. However no evidence supports MAGICAL creation (as found in the Bible) where a magical fairy God waves his hand over the dirt and it transforms into animals
The Bible does nothing to explain why we are physically, genetically and behaviorally more similar to apes that any other type of animal.

Also, this doesn't make me unquestioning, I spent my teen years as a Creationist defending it, until I grew up and actually looked at the evidence. I realized if there is a God he wants me to find the truth and all the evidence points to evolution. I have questioned evolution therefore I am not unquestioning.

2. I don't consider myself a staunch atheist, in that my mind is open enough to accept the possibility of a higher consciousness or transcendent being/God. I do spend an awful lot of time talking about the God of the Bible because at one time I was indoctrinated to believe in that flawed fairy tale at one time and now I do my part to help awaken others trapped by it.

3. I've looked at the actual evidence and it supports that through genetic variation, over time, organisms change. I don't know about you but I'd rather go along with the evidence than believe blindly in some invisible parental figure magically creating things.

4. Atheism is not a religion, it has none of the hallmarks of religion. For instance, Atheism never committed genocide (and don't bring up Hitler because he was a believer in the supernatural, Occult, and God).

5. I've never once quoted a renowned atheist, I don't even know of any (unless you count AronRa of Youtube fame and even if you do I've never quoted him). I don't follow the crowd, I look at the evidence.

6 I'm not a big fan of Dawkins but I'm even less of a fan of people cramming ignorance down peoples throats. At least the things he's trying to support are supported by evidence.

7. I'm partially guilty, but you make the mistake that every misguided Creationist whacko seems to make, you can't distinguish a book from your God. When I point out flaws about the God in the Bible it is not to destroy faith in A God but merely in the flawed human perceptions of God written down by the authors of the Bible. Clearly a good God doesn't do most of the things in the Bible, so obviously God did not do them, humans just wrote down that he did.

8. I don't unquestioningly believe science text books. When I come across a theory I look at the evidence as compiled by science and if the evidence supports the conclusion than SO DO I.

9. I don't get angry at this... though I find it funny that Christians lack cognitive dissonance in believing a good merciful and all-loving God could ever even contemplate sending something or someone he loves to a place of unending torment

10. Umm... no. The scientific community bases its conclusions on evidence, evidence that goes through a grueling peer review. What peer review do these testimonies have? Are they scientifically tested? NOPE, they are believed by every Christian who hears them because it affirms their preconceived bias.

In conclusion: Your post is a butchering of truth in favor of ignorance, ignorance we on ATS are meant to deny ... keep it up and they'll be more atheists for sure

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
wasn't there a thread called " 10 ways to know you're a catholic " or something other like this one?

haha amusing. (but nothing more than that)

[edit on 3/31/2010 by indigothefish]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Just wanted to stop in and tip my hat to Mr. True -

EXCELLENT - just EXCELLENT, my friend !!

I refreshed the thread list, scrolled, saw your thread
and almost lost my Coke.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join