It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interception attacks by the Government against SSL

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
So you think your surfing habits are secure? Did you suspect Big Bro is all up in your internet biz...Then your were correct! This confirms what many had already suspected but had no real proof that persuasion by feds can be influential and down right dishonest when comes to getting your private info like email, browser habits and other identifying information. The internet, what was once a good source of information has now become nothing more than a partner with the feds along with help from Microsoft, Google and others to find out about you, whatever and whenever they want.

I had always suspected that the internet was no more than a tool presented to the world under the disguise of being something other than what it really is, amounts to nothing more than a fraud to allow access into the homes of ordinary people by Big Bro. Using spy methodologys and surveillance mindsets your computer is no more than a collection or an extension of your very being, all in one place that can be tapped whenever "they" want to know something about you.

This paper introduces a new attack, the compelled certificate creation attack, in which government agencies compel a certificate authority to issue false SSL certificates that are then used by intelligence agencies to covertly intercept and hijack individuals' secure Web- based communications. We reveal alarming evidence that suggests that this attack is in active use. Finally, we introduce a lightweight browser add-on that detects and thwarts such attacks.

Certified Lies: Detecting and Defeating Government Interception Attacks Against SSL

Telephone carriers and Internet service providers are frequently required to violate their customers' privacy | providing the government with email communications, telephone calls, search engine records, financial transactions and geo-location information. In the United States, the legal statutes defining the range of entities that can be compelled to assist in electronic surveillance by law enforcement and foreign intelligence investigators are remarkably broad

punctuation

[edit on 3/31/2010 by mikelee]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by mikelee

Alright, I read through the majority of the pdf.

Now, my paranoia meter was about half way up.

So, found a spot in the pdf that sourced this site for some protection-

Certificate Patrol.

A paranoid Firefox/Mozilla add-on.

See, they even call it a paranoid Firefox/Mozilla add-on.

So, I have installed it.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

I did the same thing too! Gotta have my Fox.

new topics

join