It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Science tells us reality doesn't exist

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
The main obstacle of science today is materialism.

Science tells us that the universe doesn't have an objective existence outside of our perception of it. The Mind creates reality.

Sadly, many scientist are materialist so they will always search for a materialist explanation even though the evidence tells us there isn't one.

Those who study things like the Unified Field of Consciousness or Idealism realize this is what we should find because Mind creates reality.

For instance, you don't taste food. Your mind perceives what Spaghetti should taste like or French Fries. This is why when you have a cold and your nose is stuffy, everything basically taste the same. This is because the smell of the food determines how it will taste. This smell signals the brain and your minds perceives how Fish or Apple pie will taste.

Have you ever wondered why food loses its flavor when you have a cold? It’s not your taste buds’ fault. Blame your stuffed-up nose. Seventy to seventy-five percent of what we perceive as taste actually comes from our sense of smell. Taste buds allow us to perceive only bitter, salty, sweet, and sour flavors. It’s the odor molecules from food that give us most of our taste sensation.

When you put food in your mouth, odor molecules from that food travel through the passage between your nose and mouth to olfactory receptor cells at the top of your nasal cavity, just beneath the brain and behind the bridge of the nose. If mucus in your nasal passages becomes too thick, air and odor molecules can’t reach your olfactory receptor cells. Thus, your brain receives no signal identifying the odor, and everything you eat tastes much the same. You can feel the texture and temperature of the food, but no messengers can tell your brain, “This cool, milky substance is chocolate ice cream.” The odor molecules remain trapped in your mouth. The pathway has been blocked off to those powerful perceivers of smell--the olfactory bulbs.

www.reachoutmichigan.org...

Nobody has ever touched matter. When you touch a hard table or a soft pillow the electrons from your hand repel against the electrons from the pillow or table and your mind perceives things like hardness and softness.

The Mind constructs reality.

This may be an obstacle that's hard to overcome because many scientist are materialist

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I view the mind and brain as 2 separate things.
The brain controls what you think is real and tells us what is and what isn't.
For instance using a candy.
If I put a candy in my mouth my brain isn't going to tell me its chocolate or its a car unless my brain is damaged.

The mind is another story.
So I will disagree with your statement that the mind creates reality.
I don't find it sad that scientists are materialists in this matter.
If the mind created reality then I could create a million dollars which I can't just by using my mind.

I do disagree tho because I see the mind and the brain as 2 different things.
One is a physical object and the other...well I have yet to see a physical piece or object that is a mind.
Therefore the mind does not create reality.
If it did I would have my million dollars.

The brain however does tell you what physical thing you are touching,tasting, smelling etc but it doesn't create what you are touching,tasting,smelling etc.

The whole field of consciousness thing I find as hokey as religion.
I am thankful scientists are materialists.
If the mind created reality then I would see something physical like what my eyes tell my brain to tell me.
Theres a reason I don't see that million dollars my mind just tried to create.

[edit on 31-3-2010 by DrumsRfun]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

This one line supports what I'm saying. You said:

The brain however does tell you what physical thing you are touching,tasting, smelling etc but it doesn't create what you are touching,tasting,smelling etc.

Yes, the Mind creates these things.

For instance, the mind tells you how a Subway sandwich will taste based on the smell of the food. So what's reality? The Subway sandwich or the minds perception on how the sandwich taste?

Perception creates reality. Why is a million dollars worth a million dollars? It's because our perception of reality gives money value. If everyone in the world said Reese Cups were worth a dollar each, then everyone would be spending Reese Cups instead of dollars.

Why do I like a Jaguar over a BMW? This perception created the reality of me owning a Jaguar.

The mind's perception is reality.

Even though you don't have a million dollars, your perception of what a million dollars is worth gives it value.

If everyone in the world started spending Pesos instead of Dollars then the perception will create a world where Pesos have more value than dollars.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
www.ted.com...

Ramachandran neuroscientist details the Ghandi Neuron -- how the mirror neurons get decoupled from our cortex inhibitors so that we experience phantom limb or also experience other people's physical sensations as our own. The pure electromagnetic sensations are not limited to the individual which is an illusion.

He says the mirror neuron works on a virtual reality.

[edit on 31-3-2010 by drew hempel]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
i think that the idea of biocentrism fits in here. biocentrism is the theory that life creates the universe, not the other way around. its really quite interesting, heres an article about it that i found to be a good read

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
Therefore the mind does not create reality.
If it did I would have my million dollars.

I bet there are far less intelligent people than you that have 1000000 dollars...

Actually if you have the mind to create 1 million, then it’s down to action really isn't it??

One thing I've learned thus far in my 36 years... You can have anything you want in this world... and I mean anything... You just can't have everything...

So choose what you want and then go for it, live it, breath it, go for it!!

The reason most people don't get what they want is because the things they say they want aren't actually what they want, or they haven't a clue what it is that they really want.

An example...

You say you want a million dollars... why do you want this money? What will you do with it? have you an exact plan for it?

See what I mean??

Ohhh and one last thing, don't believe the secret crowd.... you can sit on your behind all day wishing or asking the universe to present you with gift of what you want... it won't come unless you get off your backside and make it happen...

So go out there and make it happen for you!!!

Peace Out,

Korg.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by devilishlyangelic23

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31393080/

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Matrix Rising

The mind does not create these things...it just shapes our perception of the object.
An apple wasn't created by anything we had to do...it was already there for us to have our brains touch it to tell us what it feels like,taste like,mass etc.
The mind gives you your perception of the apple.

It doesn't mean that you created it...it means you identified it and have an opinion about the object based on the way you percieve it.
To think you can create an object with your mind is a far stretch in my opinion.
You can have yours and I will respect you nonetheless but for me to think we are creating our objects with our minds is a little out there for me.

I am still waiting for my physical object to be created right before my eyes.
See my point.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Korg Trinity

I would want that money to prove you cannot manifest an object into reality by using your mind.
Still waiting tho.

Edit to add...I don't live for money,I live for happiness.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by devilishlyangelic23

I just heard a scientist, who was compared to Einstein, discussing biocentrism on Coast to Coast last week. It was quite interesting, and well worth the listen if you are interested in the topic!

Hour 1 .mp3
Hour 2 .mp3
Hour 3 .mp3

-E-

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
If our minds "create" our reality, then why can a group of people, each describe the taste of an apple or the feel of a certain material, the same? Maybe because it really does taste and feel that way. If our minds perceived reality differently, which it does to an extent ie. beliefs and what not, but I would see orange when you see red. I would taste bitter when you taste sweet..etc.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
But....what I call sweet might be bitter to you and you would call it sweet too not realizing that it tastes different because its all you know. I mean how do you know my sweet is not your bitter? No one can really describe what a color looks like. My blue could be your red but I would always agree it was blue since I has seen red as blue my whole life. Hehe Just pondering.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Our senses allow us to perceive reality in the way that we do, so in a sense we do create the items that make up this reality. We collectively understand that fire is generally hot, apples usually taste the same, crying babies hurt our ears, and lemons are sour. Don't think that we all believe this simply because this is the reality in which we live, though. It's entirely possible that the things we have in common are a result of our collective consciousness.

Consider the Global Consciousness Project which has shown that subjects have the ability to manipulate the physical world around them with their minds, even if only on a quantum, statistically significant scale.

Interesting things to say the least.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Nobody has ever touched matter. When you touch a hard table or a soft pillow the electrons from your hand repel against the electrons from the pillow or table and your mind perceives things like hardness and softness.

Because I'm 18, and already constructed this theory in my own head, does that make me a genius?
I guess not, what a crock...money, status, and governmental acknowledgment get to decide what theories are credible, and which aren't.

Give me a million dollars, and I will sit down and put down a universal scientific theory together that rivals the Bible, but delivers the exact same message. Except with a world like this guy states...about electromagnetism.

But to debunk this guys story...he says the mind perceives the electron charge as a repellent. The last time I checked, a magnet doesn't perceive something to be hard or soft like a brain does....It does what we tell it to.

Does the guy not even know that protons, electrons, and neutrons are all metaphorical terms? That the atom has never been seen by a human eye for a reason? Maybe because it's so small, it's just the metaphorical substance that creates the much larger substance of the universe. You label it as having the least mass possible...and suddenly the idea is credible. Although it goes against the stipulations of sensory recognition and proof, because we can't see,smell,hear,taste, or touch any individual atom.

Thus, the atom is metaphorical. And so is this guys theory. You can't prove it, you can't disprove it. Much like the Bible...all these theories have something in common.:

1. They answer every question you can ask it, you can choose to believe it or not.
2. Everything adds up together perfectly
3. And like a Matrix, if you add up every pattern that the Bible's words create, past and future events will all come to the surface in different recognitional patterns...see Bible Code Conspiracies.

So it's safe to say that we can guess for ever, and the species as a whole can never be completely satisfied. So why not just live by what the Bible teaches us?

Do I abstain from sex? No.
Do I believe in a man-like God sits atop the clouds? No.
Do I believe in an after life with fire? No.

But do I believe that faith and belief are the strongest words and emotions in the human language? Yes

Can prayer stipulate a change in fortune? Yes, saying a prayer gives you hope...and hope gives you reason to believe.

Do I believe in judging somebody? I'm not nice or mean to anyone anymore, I don't judge anything to the point where I would say, "This person looks too weird to talk to".

If you read the Bible from a different perspective, and instead of trying to add up the fictionally perceived story that the world makes it out to be...then you will know. You will know that a God and Satan exist within all of us...and the more power we have, the more that status is amplified.

Jesus existed, he held amazing belief in righteousness, and because of it he could do amazing things. He was the product of the human race, or God....Jesus never told a "lie".

So either people realize this, or someone gives me millions of dollars to sit down and decode the Bible and existence in a way that most people can agree on

I'm not that smart...I just understand the interpretation of language.

[edit on 31-3-2010 by Nostradumbass]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Nostradumbass

Watch this man -- and you can change your brain so that it shoots lasers!

www.youtube.com...

To train how study this

springforestqigong.com...

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by drew hempel
reply to post by Nostradumbass

Watch this man -- and you can change your brain so that it shoots lasers!

www.youtube.com...

To train how study this

springforestqigong.com...

Why do you always send me those links man? haha

Just too much, that is like the 3rd time.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   
This is classical idealistic position developed mainly by I. Kant. Troubles arose from weak definition of term "reality". If reality is what ordinary folks mean by this word (Cartesian space/time and objects in it) then claim "mind is creating reality" is true. If we "look" at things per se then they are reality - but we can't look on things per se. We are every time looking from some perspective (eyes view point, scientifical view point, artistic view point, ...) and every time we change perspective we see something slightly different. Hence "thing per se" is mind construct rather then "objective reality". Modern science (quantum mechanics specifically) confirm this notion. Cartesian space/time continuum is somehow privileged in human world but many things are better depicted in 9 or 11 dimensions systems or even in systems with irrational number of dimensions (look on deterministic chaos theory). For further study look on phenomenology movement. Lot of fat books were written about how objects are constructed from sensation data.
Aside "physical" world there are domains somehow intertwined with it but clearly constructed - social domain, art domain, practical religion domain - and one special domain which have nothing to do with physical world at all - mathematics and logic domain. This domain is purely ideal. It is interesting to note that inter-subjectivity rise up in direction to purely ideal domain. Mathematics is only fully inter-subjective - or objective - (and exact) domain.
Oh - philosophy is my passion

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
reply to post by Korg Trinity

I would want that money to prove you cannot manifest an object into reality by using your mind.
Still waiting tho.

Edit to add...I don't live for money,I live for happiness.

Hmmmm Well I think your edit answers why you don't have your 1 million.

I have known people that are millionaires and often come across them in my proffessional life... Are they happy?? I think most are not....

My wife's family live in the provinces of the Philippines, these people have so little in terms of economic wealth, yet I consider them among the richest people in the world.

They have so little yet share what they have, they wake at sun rise and sleep at sun set, they live each day as a gift and don't have to think about tax or the bills at the end of the month.

They are free. truely free.

I'm not saying that all life in the Philippines is this way, it is a 3rd world country and there are problems in the cities, poverty and crime are rife.

What I am saying is that money does not = happiness. If it is happiness you seek then what more could you ask for other than total freedom to live in harmony with nature and not to have any outside pressure to do anything other than to enrich your lives and the lives of those around you??

O.k. Getting a little off topic here sorry...

To relate all this to the OP post. IT is absolutely true that the reality you perceive is not the entire truth. But stating that what clearly is our experience does not exist is the highest form of ignorance.

Science is all about understanding why we experience in the way we do, but it most defiantly does not invalidate our experience.

I can reach out and touch a table and know it is hard, whether or not at the nano scale I am not actually touching it. I know its hard so the effect of bashing my head on the table will hurt. This is our experience of the reality.

I hope this pulls my post back on topic

All the best,

Korg.

[edit on 1-4-2010 by Korg Trinity]

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 05:10 AM
link   
we live in a virtual game

I want to change my avatar!! lol

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join