It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fox Makes Up Breaking News In Order to Cut Away From Obama

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   

YouTube: "Bill O'Reily gloats over Fox News' ratings

Fox is all about ratings, this is just one of the many segments on O'Reily's show about how Fox is dominating every other news network on television. Since this is a news story, he needed someone else [Bernie Goldberg] to talk about it and agree.

If ratings can be used to gauge the accuracy or unbiased reporting on the behalf of Fox News, I suppose Spongebob Squarepants is an accurate depiction of the undersea cohabitation of different species.

I watch different shows on the network often, every now and then there is a guest they get who comes on and challenges the anchor about Fox's "Fair & balanced" reporting. The anchor will usually always state how they're winning in the ratings, they're the most watched news network on television. As if high ratings is a defense against spinning a news story to fit a political narrative.

News networks give the people what they want to know, not what they need to know. They pander to the audience.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
It is all about Market Share. Fox is getting the lion's share because viewers became frustrated with the bias in the other outlets during the campaigns and throughout Obama's first year of lies and dashed hopes in the WH.
[edit on 31-3-2010 by jibeho]

By and large Fox's ratings come from people that voted for Bush twice, and McCain once. Your premise is flawed. News is not supposed to be about market share. That's one of the reasons the MSM has fallen from grace.

News used to be considered a public service. The networks weren't trying to get rich off the nightly news broadcast. I know full well the premise of selling advertising/business side of television. Ironically, as David Frum said, Fox News' ratings and the GOP's political success are at odds. Fox gets better ratings the more outcast the GOP kool aid swallowers feel.

Originally posted by jibehoDo not play the race card either. unsubstantiated

Two words. Rush Limbaugh. Are you really trying to deny he is attempting to incite racial hatred when he labels the healthcare bill "reparations" ?

In the last few years since Obama announced and was elected president, I've noticed a big upswing in racist undertones coming out of the political rhetoric of the GOP/conservative side. Not to say they are all racists, but some elements of that "side of the aisle" have been using racism against Obama to appeal to a certain segment. If you haven't seen it, you must not be that observant.

I am against affirmative action. I'm far from a PC type but absolutely racism has been used in politics. What's your thoughts on the infamous negative attack ad against Harold Ford ?

GOP attack ad draws heat for racial overtones
articles.latimes.com...
Even Corker distanced himself from the ad.

Originally posted by jibehoDouble check your language next time you type. *SNIP* talk is usually frowned upon and the mods will generally nab it.

Whine some more. The censor is there for a reason.

Originally posted by jibehoPlease cite your numerous studies supporting your claim of uninformed Fox viewers. I wouldn't count on Media Matters and Huffington as reliable sources though.

"Misperceptions Vary Widely Depending On News Source Fox Viewers more likely to misperceive, PBS-NPR less likely"

www.pipa.org...

University of Maryland

Google "fox news viewers uninformed"

You'll be reading all day. There has been several academic studies showing people that rely on Fox for news are uninformed and know less basic facts about any current topic you wish to discuss. Sheeple in the worst sense.
"I don't want big govt to mess with my medicare benefits!"

Originally posted by jibehoWhy do I even bother with you people? This is nothing but a giant pissing match anyway. It is all a matter of opinion. Which is all the news networks are essentially nowadays. 24/7 gotta fill the airtime with something.

Fox News is a propaganda effort, a lock stock and barrel 24/7 political operation.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Why would I want to watch the POTUS sign into law and discuss a 60 year stalemate move that may remap the nations future forever when I can learn about flaps on the back of an airplane.

Priorities..nobody will remember the moment America changed in their lifetime...but people will always treasure the moment they learned about flaps.

Well done Fox, keep up the quality.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by MIMRblazin

Don't worry, Obama will be on again tomorrow, or sooner if he can think of something to say. If you are going into withdrawal, just hit "replay"

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
What the heck? Where are the mods on all this childish insulting going on here. This is a ridiculous thread. There's hardly a shred of useful information in the first 4 pages. Just childish arguements.

Getting on topic here, news agencies can report whatever they want. They don't have to cover the President. Fox is not the only news agency in the US. If you don't like them then watch something else. And I haven't seen anyone defend fox news. I have only seen people tell the OP that all the MSM is the same. And I agree with them. Its just that Fox leans to the right (with which you disagree) and the rest lean to the left (with which you agree) and therefore you do not like Fox. Your opinion is exactly the same as an evil Republican "Fox defender". Its just that you are a good Democrat "Fox hater". Democrats spit hateful opinions about Fox and Drudge all the live long day. Republicans spit hateful opinions about MSNBC and CNN all the live long day. You sound like a Democrat comparable to one of those politicians in DC right now. Anyone that defends Fox is going to sound like a "gun-weilding God-fearing redneck from the Mid-West". Open your eyes, they are the same people with the same goal, using this ridiculous bickering (that is not even supposed to be on ATS) to distract you as they slowly but surely take away rights from you and become more and more powerful. Better yet they make people like you (Democrats) hate people that are Republicans and split the US in half so we can't even unite and become one in order to control out own government. As soon as a Republican says they are Republican, Democrats ignore them. As soon as a Democrat says they are Democrat, Republicans ignore them. Good lord. Wake the heck up. YOU ARE DESTROYING AMERICA with this divisive ideology. The government is not destroying America. They are giving us smoke and mirrors so we can destroy ourselves and we are completely falling for it.
But I digress. Fox news is terrible. So are the rest of them. Thank you for listening.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbloch7986
Getting on topic here, news agencies can report whatever they want. They don't have to cover the President. Fox is not the only news agency in the US. If you don't like them then watch something else. And I haven't seen anyone defend fox news. I have only seen people tell the OP that all the MSM is the same. And I agree with them. Its just that Fox leans to the right (with which you disagree) and the rest lean to the left (with which you agree) and therefore you do not like Fox.

You're demonstrating the fallacy of false compromise. It's not as simple as Fox= right, everything else = left, and they are all equally bad. Fox is on another level entirely. What other "news" network is operated by a former GOP political operative ? Like someone said, this outfit sued and won in federal court, the right to not present the truth.

And no, technically, legally, they do not have to cover the President's speech. But I'll give you a cookie if you can give me one example in Bush's 8 years in office where Fox pulled the kind of crap they do with Obama ?

I noticed when he went to Afghanistan for the surprise trip, Fox cut away immediately after the speech and started the spin. CNN and MSNBC showed the service members lining up and beaming at the chance to shake the president's hand. That image wouldn't jive with their agenda.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   

You did not even watch the clip did you? You could not have or you would not have posted that rant.

The President was making the same thank you's verbatim he has nearly every day since the Sunday vote. They had a live camera on an airplane that was in danger at the same time. Not being psychic, they had to make a judgment call. A boring repeat of a speech being made over and over again in town after town, or a possible live shot of a plane accident involving many lives.

The only people acting more childish than the Republicans are the Democrats. Somehow though, sore winners are less understandable than sore losers.

Democrats: You won so shut the hell up.

Republicans: You lost so shut the hell up.

Both: STOP SPENDING MONEY YOU DON'T HAVE! Go home and do what you do best. Nothing!

OP: A Site specifically for this type of venom, exageration and high drama.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Reply to post by Schaden

The point is that the news is set up for this exact type of reaction to occur. We are supposed to bicker and say "Fox news is bad" and "MSNBC is bad" this way we're totally and completely distracted and consumed by our own arguements about what news is reliable. Now who are we supposed to give credibility to when it comes to News? No one? So no one has accurate information. This further drives this nation down into an apathetic ignorance of current affairs because we're all telling each other that News networks cannot be trusted and therefore we can never *really* know what's going on. So now there's no point to trying to do anything because none of the news you watch can be trusted, so you can't really know anything for sure.

To the OP: Yes. This is a conspiracy. Though much larger than you're thinking here. America is completely divided into sections that are completely unable to unite with each other because of their own divisive ideologies. Instead of being "Fox news haters" and "Fox news lovers" and "MSNBC lovers" and "MSNBC haters" we should just be Americans and demand that we receive accurate information from everyone. But we can't do that because "righties" and "lefties" can never agree on what accurate information is.

You get what I'm saying here?

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Schaden

Forgive me for asking, but why don't you just turn the channel? ABC, CBS, NBC, MSNBC and CNN are all Obama supporters. That gives you five to choose from. Just click the little buttons.

Or, is this a Free Press, Free Speech denial issue? As in those things only apply to those who agree with you? If that is the case, be honest and admit you want to deny these rights to anyone who does not march in lock step to your opinion and beliefs. Then at least you would have a conspiracy to discuss.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbloch7986
we should just be Americans and demand that we receive accurate information from everyone.

Exactly! Bravo on your post and your point.

I wonder if they make a headache pill for Independents? My Left temple is throbbing from the battering by the Democrats and my right temple is throbbing from the tirade from the Republicans. My left pocket is empty from entitlements and my right pocket is empty from wars. I'm out of temples and pockets.

[edit on 3/31/2010 by Blaine91555]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Reply to post by Blaine91555

Yes! A like-minded individual. Thank you. Its amazing how something as simple as a disagreement over news networks can show how divided this nation is.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I am confused why Fox is so controversial. If you want the right's take on things, watch Fox. If you want the left, watch MSNCB. Isn't that what the market place of ideas is all about? If you really want to be upset about news delivery, check out Venezuela.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sibilance
I am confused why Fox is so controversial. If you want the right's take on things, watch Fox. If you want the left, watch MSNCB. Isn't that what the market place of ideas is all about? If you really want to be upset about news delivery, check out Venezuela.

Your not confused at all. You are just being rational in an irrational world.

Me, I watch them all. I like having all sides of the issues before I make decisions. Perhaps we are both confused. Or, rational

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Did someone said Faux News

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
This has got to be one of the funniest fox bashing threads I have seen in a long time. Did media matters launch a new batch of interns today??

Keep on spewing while I watch Fox's ratings continue to skyrocket amongst its competitors. Yes. the people are growing tired of all of Obama's news channels. Even some of these networks are finally starting to run stories that don't favor him. I guess ratings do matter in the world of profit based network TV.

Turn off your TV's and turn on NPR. Save yourself the worries.

FOX News, We Report, You Decide! Uh, one problem, THEY decide WHAT to report.
Tough call, show the President enacting historical, landmark legislation or the chance to see a flaming plane crash with charred human passengers on LIVE TV.
Why not a split screen?

Regarding those touting their ratings, these statistics prove that they have yet to tap full ratings potential.

They are a few million shy:

Population Ages 25 and Older With Less than 9th Grade Education

BTW, MIMRblazin you have a new friend. Great thread and nice work single handedly pwning the neocons.

[edit on 31-3-2010 by kinda kurious]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

Dude you are too funny!! I actually saw my first pair of those truck balls dangling from a rather rough looking truck a couple of weeks ago. Yes, it was in the parking lot at a gun show.
I need to get a pair of those for my Subaru. Not sure the wife will approve though

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Fox News is a private news coporation and I believe it should be able to broadcast whatever it wants. I think it's kind of pathetic that they did this though.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 02:24 AM
link   
I can see FOX's decision: potential plane crash or potential nation crash. The plane would be faster and more exciting. Let us not forget that a plane once crashed due to a 19 cent lightbulb had burnt out.

[edit on 1-4-2010 by Ahabstar]

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Don't you think your being just a little bit over dramatic?

Personally I think Fox was making a very apt political point.

"Oh look, there's some minute story happening that, as far as national importance is concerned, trumps anything Obama says because everything he says is old news or just plain inconsequential".

I think that is pretty funny. lol

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by MIMRblazin
I think I will watch every network except fox. That's the best advice yet. Until fox inevitably gets bought out by Comedy Central. They don't need to do much work to make it hilarious.

It’s so sad that there people who actually take Fox seriously… I just don’t understand how people can be so easily duped.

Okey, first your saying Fox cut away from BO because of a possible breaking news story(their choice since the government doesn't control the networks . . . yet), now your saying you can't take Fox seriously. So why were you watching them then?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join