It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA’s Jim Kasting "We are surrounded by dozens of habitable planets".

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Jim Kasting is the chair of NASA’s Exoplanet Exploration Program Analysis Group.
According to Kasting we are surrounded by dozens of habitable planets but we just can’t see them yet .
If Earth-like planets are as common as Kasting believes and almost any star in our neighborhood could house at-least one Earth-like planet , the chances of other civilizations in reasonably close proximity to our own Solar System must be greatly improved .
And the chances that one or more of those civilizations has or is visiting our home must also be increased .

“I’m very optimistic. I think Earths are common,” Kasting said. “If you take any given type of solar star, the chances of finding an Earth-like planet are reasonably good … the odds (of any star being orbited by a habitable planet) might be somewhere between a tenth and a half.”

“What we really need … are telescopes called Terrestrial Planet Finders,” said Kasting. TPF’s can work in the visible or infrared spectrum. A visible spectrum TPF probably requires an aperture of 8 m, which is more than three times bigger than the Hubble telescope.
The technology to build such devices exists. But the money does not.

If we as a Species could get our act together and stop wasting Billions on bigger and better ways to kill each other we could finally answer the the question mankind has asked itself for Milenia .
www.thestar.com...

Edit to add

[edit on 31-3-2010 by gortex]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
This is amazing. Why dont we use some of the "Bailout" money Bama is handing out or use some of the money we are saving from the space missions. If this was priority the world could find a way.

God forbid nations come together.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by righteousxcore

If the US decided to fund the Terrestrial Planet Finder telescopes they could find the money by cutting a couple of hundred million from the Black Project budget , I doubt given the size of that budget they would even miss it .

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
My guess is that the Black Budget Projects already know where these planets are and have probably even visited them already. They could even be waging war on peaceful worlds for resources and we don't even know about it. Its very sad that we are kept in the dark as to what is going on.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Of course they (NASA/Secret Government) already know about it, I mean, we had a visitor from Venus way back in 1952! They are keeping this new for themselves, just like the Rich Elite have always done. what I wonder is when Americans are going to do something about it?

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

I think the people of the World need to come together and demand their respective Governments to pursue the planet hunter technology .
Of course this wont happen as most people are more concerned with which Celebrity is doing what to who or whatever .
As has been shown on many occasions the will of the people matters not one bit to TPTB , all we are good for is paying taxes and doing what we are told .

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
One end of humanity is trying to get us out of our hole.

The other end is trying to stomp us all so flat we never have a chance to get out.

I know where MY loyalties lie.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Like they say,for life to exist else where, it needs an Earthlike planet, so , if you have 100 more Earth like planets, you have 100 more planets with Monkeys and humes, That is how Evolution Works, THEY say !so , life is out there...

Now, are they ahead of us or behind us on the tech-level ?

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by gortex
According to Kasting we are surrounded by dozens of habitable planets but we just can’t see them yet .

...the chances of other civilizations in reasonably close proximity to our own Solar System must be greatly improved...

If the Mediocrity Principle is accurate, this is what we should expect to find.

However, if Kasting is right, there are some very disturbing implications.

[edit on 31-3-2010 by DoomsdayRex]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

I also tend to think that a few ultra-top secret projects know of other planets. Seriously, imagine you are the richest man in the world...you have everything and trade derivatives on whole groups of PEOPLE. I think getting off this earth island would be the next "purchase".

[edit on 31-3-2010 by SmokeandShadow]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChemBreather
Like they say,for life to exist else where, it needs an Earthlike planet, so , if you have 100 more Earth like planets, you have 100 more planets with Monkeys and humes, That is how Evolution Works, THEY say !so , life is out there...

Hey, something just occurred to me...if there ARE other earths and IF evolution works as described, there is a chance that an earth like planet may not have been "reset" by the extinction events like our earth and would have evolved unabated!!!

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   

ChemBreather

I guess the chances are both , the question is how far ahead are the advanced civilizations .

DoomsdayRex
However, if Kasting is right, there are some very disturbing implications.

Please elaborate on the disturbing implications .

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
"According to Kasting we are surrounded by dozens of habitable planets but we just can’t see them yet."

LOL. Sure buddy. I'm surrounded by beautiful women holding sacks of money. You just can't see them yet. While I think there are other life containing worlds out there, I do not think they are as common as this guy thinks.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
"According to Kasting we are surrounded by dozens of habitable planets but we just can’t see them yet."

LOL. Sure buddy. I'm surrounded by beautiful women holding sacks of money. You just can't see them yet. While I think there are other life containing worlds out there, I do not think they are as common as this guy thinks.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench
Of course they (NASA/Secret Government) already know about it, I mean, we had a visitor from Venus way back in 1952! They are keeping this new for themselves, just like the Rich Elite have always done. what I wonder is when Americans are going to do something about it?

wait what? A vistor from Venus? How? Where? When? What? I need details!

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Longtimegone

Longtimegone
I do not think they are as common as this guy thinks.

"This guy" is the chair of NASA’s Exoplanet Exploration Program Analysis Group , so I guess he is basing his opinion on his experience working in the Exoplanetary field , on what do you base your opinion ?.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I dont think we have to worry about beings that are lower than us;
if they were then how would they have developed the technology to come to our planet?

we should also have gigantic stop signs orbiting our planet;
and if any vehichle enters our airspace there should be highly focused lazers that will blast them out of the sky;
that is only if we are visiting other planets tho;
right now; we burn fossils for energy

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Longtimegone

I can't prove you're not surrounded by beautiful women, and I can't prove Kasting is wrong either.

I also do not think they are as common as this guy thinks. 10% to 50% sounds like a ridiculously high estimate to me.

We can all guess and since nobody can prove their guesses right or wrong, does it matter? We need to find the planets and use facts not guesses to answer this.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by gortex
reply to post by Longtimegone

Longtimegone
I do not think they are as common as this guy thinks.

"This guy" is the chair of NASA’s Exoplanet Exploration Program Analysis Group , so I guess he is basing his opinion on his experience working in the Exoplanetary field , on what do you base your opinion ?.

First of all, it's his claim so he should be the one to bear the burden of proving his claim of 10% to 50%, and if he has any, it's certainly not in the article, and I'm not buying his book to find out since I'm already familiar with a lot of the data. That may be his field, but he's still guessing, and there is some data to question his guesswork:

Drake Equation

the discovery of numerous gas giants in close orbit with their stars has introduced doubt that life-supporting planets commonly survive the creation of their stellar systems. In addition, most stars in our galaxy are red dwarfs, which flare violently, mostly in X-rays—a property not conducive to life as we know it

One of his criteria is that it has to be a rocky planet and not a gaseous planet like Jupiter, so our discovery of so many gaseous planets in close orbits to their stars shows we can't extrapolate that our solar system is necessarily "typical".

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join