It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama to Open Offshore Areas to Oil Drilling for First Time

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Obama to Open Offshore Areas to Oil Drilling for First Time

www.nytimes.com

"The proposal — a compromise that will please oil companies and domestic drilling advocates but anger some residents of affected states and many environmental organizations — would end a longstanding moratorium on oil exploration along the East Coast from the northern tip of Delaware to the central coast of Florida, covering 167 million acres of ocean."
"The proposal is intended to reduce dependence on oil imports, generate revenue from the sale of offshore leases and help win political support for comprehensive energy and climate legislation.

But while Mr. Obama has staked out mi
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Do you think this will fly? Or is it a pre-emptive manuver, so that two years from now he can use it to get re-elected when our fuel prices are soaring - www.abovetopsecret.com... -and he can say he was trying to make this happen since the begining of his presidency for the future of our economy?
I can't imagine the dem's would allow such a thing to happen, offshore drilling! Never...not until the house and congress are back under reb's control.
I think, I may have this backwards...but we'll see.

Or will it completely backfire as we continue to see how the ideals of the country are put to the wayside as the wants of the corporations continue to be met?

Either way, I'm all for haveing the infrastructure to retreive our own resources, but I would prefer to kinda just keep em neatly tucked away for when we really need em.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
It's a good idea. Until something better comes along, we need the oil. My only problem with this is he said no to drilling in Alaska.

As to the reasons behind it? To my mind, it's a good idea, regardless of what the reasoning behind it may have been... I'm not voting for him anyway...didn't the first time, not going to the second time, either.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
"There's a reason for every season", ever heard that saying?
Well, you can bet there's a reason behind this headline...
First off, they will do a study which will take 2-3 years or more..then the enviromentalists will come out of the woodwork, which would prolong any kind of drilling for many, many years to come..
More important of all..Aways look thru the smoke-N-Mirrors of Obama's agenda, and NEVER take your eyes off the hand you DONT see..
Here's why Obama has announced this...

www.americanthinker.com...

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by MissysWorld

I got this out of your link...
www.americanthinker.com...
"President Obama's announcement of today is a round about way for Obama to enact some of what is in a climate bill which passed the House last year, but which is still sitting in the Senate."

Which I did read in the NYt article where it said "help win political support for comprehensive energy and climate legislation."...and that didn't make sense to me...so thanks!
www.nytimes.com...

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Liar, liar....pants on fire!

"What I will not do, and this has always been my position, is to support a plan that suggests this drilling is the answer to our energy problems," Obama added.

"If we've got a plan on the table that I think meets the goals that America has to set and there are some things in there that I don't like, then obviously that's something that I would consider because that's the nature of how we govern in a democracy."

The senator from Illinois has spoken out against offshore drilling since Sen. John McCain in June proposed striking down the federal moratorium banning offshore oil and gas drilling to help alleviate high gas prices.

Link: www.cnn.com...

Edit to add date from article.

[edit on 31-3-2010 by lpowell0627]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I think it's a great idea for more oil drilling right after deciding that breathing is considered carbon emissions!

Originally posted by seagull
It's a good idea. Until something better comes along, we need the oil.

No you don't, you have plenty of oil!

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

There's no shortage, that's true enough. But I've always felt that we're much too dependent upon imported oil. Which makes no sense, since there's enough and to spare, in North America, both off shore, and inland.

How much is hotly debated, and I've seen figures that run the gamut from a mini Prudoe Bay, to dwarfing the Saudi fields. Which is true, I've no idea.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Oil is an outdated means of power.

There is so much more in other areas that would have a much greater impact, like electric cars.

I could have the USA off of oil (for power) in 10 years.

Oil is still used for plastics, rubber, gum, and a lot of other things. Oil still has its uses, but not for powering cars.

One of my greatest ideas, which I will share with everyone.

There are 6 desert states. Put a solar grid in each state and the amount of energy created in one day of operation will pay for the building of each station in a week.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I am totally down with ALL new cars being electric, as long as the battery fuel cell can be produced in a less envirionmentally destructive way than producing oil, and all of them get recycled. I am totally down with hydrogen cars and fuel cell cars. My work truck runs on propane...in case you were interested.
However, I do want us to have the infrastructure in place that negates our being dependant upon forieng oil. I don't mind buying it, and as long as its cheap I completely prefer to use up other countries oil...I have a real nice ol '67 Cougar that I really enjoy cruisin in, and I want to be able to hear the pipes on that classic metal roar for decades to come...so...stop using my oil...I claim it here and now for classic cars only!!!

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcouncil=wisdom
I am totally down with ALL new cars being electric, as long as the battery fuel cell can be produced in a less envirionmentally destructive way than producing oil, and all of them get recycled. I am totally down with hydrogen cars and fuel cell cars. My work truck runs on propane...in case you were interested.
However, I do want us to have the infrastructure in place that negates our being dependant upon forieng oil. I don't mind buying it, and as long as its cheap I completely prefer to use up other countries oil...I have a real nice ol '67 Cougar that I really enjoy cruisin in, and I want to be able to hear the pipes on that classic metal roar for decades to come...so...stop using my oil...I claim it here and now for classic cars only!!!

The question of battery disposal and manufacturing aside, what will you have that recharges all of those electric cars? Coal plants? Clean coal plants? Nuclear facilites?

There certainly aren't enough wind farms or solar farms in existence to power an entire nation of electric cars, let alone an entire state.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

There are currently not enough, yes that is true, but more could be made.

That's where American's come to work, creating solar grid's, building hydrogen-solar electric cars, and other green technology.

There is more then 1 field of creating massive amounts of energy.

Magnetic, hydrogen, and solar alternative energy technologies are enough to be completely off oil as fuel.

And recently the discovery of a gold atom capable of powering the USA for years.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I think they are looking at this to help take some of the stress off for when we blow the crap out of Iran.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I think this is a sign that we are about to go to War!
Oil demands are the lowest they have been for years because of this depression we are starting out in.
If we went to War with Iran oil would skyrocket in price because all middle eastern states would stop production??????

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I'll throw in my 2 cents:

Get used to oil, it's gonna be around for a while. We need it. Now, we sent men to the moon, we can certainly get our oil with minimal impact to the environment. I wish, oh how i wish, we could cut our dependence from the middle east, no matter what it is, it should be 0%. Damn whole middle east would be nothing but a bunch of roaming sand nomads if it wasn't for their oil. And yes we should be finding new technologies as alternatives for oil, but get used to the fact of life, oil is needed now and most likely for the foreseeable future. LOL... that should be the new slogan for the oil industry... "OIL... get used to it!"

EDIT: as for King Barry, i think he figures he had better throw this in there even though i think deep down he doesn't really want us to drill anymore. It's just politics.

[edit on 31-3-2010 by elcapitano75]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I thought Obama said he was not going to Drill for oil and he was going try develop "clean renewable energy"?

Was'nt this McCains idea?

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

He did, but the U.S. is an oil burning corporation. All the vehicles, tanks, jets, ships, submarines, and etc. use oil of some form.

Obama said he wanted to try alternative energies and clean coal burning technology.

When energy becomes free, the people of the world will be free to do anything. - Me

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I have no idea why Obama has made this flip flop. I find I agree with several people in this thread on different sides of the matter.

We don't need more oil. We need to learn how to conserve that which we have.
Solar power should be the next thing we concentrate on.
Obama is probably doing this for SOMEBODY'S election prospects.
I don't trust this. I don't trust that he's telling the truth. He's flip-flopped without an explanation (except for some mumbo jumbo)

I really don't know what to think. For once.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
harness all the bs from washington and make cars run on it- problem solved.

obama was agianst this -videos are everywhere
now hes for it..........mr flip flop.

and treehuggers would be whining bout the batteries as well which has been said.

wind and solar they have come along way but the wind doesnt blow everyday and the sun doesnt shine everyday so they are not the answer.

nuclear? you want one put it right beside your house-then you wont be for it.

even with this new drilling nothing will change and if you think it will you are fooling yourselves.l

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I live the idea of drilling, but something doesn't sit well with me on this one. There smells like an agenda we're not being told about.

I know the guy flip flops a lot, but he usually has a somewhat rational BS excuse. Nothing at all this time to even try to justify his differing stance.

I don't know what this means, but I'm 90% sure it can't be good.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join