It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grandmother fined, tagged and on curfew for selling goldfish to minor

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Grandmother fined, tagged and on curfew for selling goldfish to minor

www.couriermail.com.au

A BRITISH grandmother has been heavily fined and electronically tagged for selling a goldfish to a child, triggering criticism of over-zealous use of animal protection laws.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
"A BRITISH grandmother has been heavily fined and electronically tagged for selling a goldfish to a child, triggering criticism of over-zealous use of animal protection laws."
good on you guys you caught a really hardcore criminal,nice way to spend tax payers dollars.What has the world come to when the police set up a sting operation to catch a grandma seeling a goldfish come on catch the real criminals.

www.couriermail.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by CYRAX

About time too!!!

I'm sick of these goldfish peddlers man.... undercutting the honest and hard-working pet shop owners, not to mention the fairground folk.
I think this country is truly screwed when people go around selling goldfish.... I mean has she got a Goldfish licence?

A fish sellers permit...

I mean what would happen if everyone went around just selling fish to kids... the world would fall apart, that's what!!!

I mean how dare this old woman sell goldfish?

What is this world coming too.

I say lock her up and throw away the key.
/sarc

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   
What's the big deal in selling a goldfish? Is there a specific reason someone "underage" can't buy a goldfish? I remember when I was a kid... goldfish were kind of the precursor to a dog. If you could take care of the fish then you could get something better, you know? If you failed then your parents had to take care of it or it got flushed

I think this is more about the electronic tagging. Maybe it's a test-run for a mass tagging, and they got the poor old lady to foot the bill by giving her that fine.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
i somewhat get it after reading this...

But Trafford Council in northern England defended the decision to prosecute, noting that the gerbil sold to the teenager with learning difficulties - who was also 14 - was put in a cup of coffee.

i guess the gerbil was sleepy and needed a pep up.

i guess this falls under animal cruelty on the pet shops place.

seriously out of this world law though.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Estharik
What's the big deal in selling a goldfish? Is there a specific reason someone "underage" can't buy a goldfish?

The first things that came to mind were that kids somehow figured out how to get high off of goldfish of that they figured out how to stab people with them.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   
OMG this is ridiculous, it was a "sting" operation.

The pair were prosecuted after the local council sent a 14-year-old boy to buy a goldfish in a "sting" operation following reports that their shop, Majors Pets, had sold a gerbil to a teenager with learning difficulties.

What a waste of time and money

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I find it comforting that the US is not the only country where public servants, officiates, and functionaries, are displaying the radical loss of intelligence and common sense... maybe the medical community will finally be driven to identify the root cause and cure the ailment.

The way things are going, absurdity is going to end up ruling the world..... or maybe that's the point of these clowns' actions. To show just how incapable individuals nations are of ruling themselves....

Or distraction?

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
maybe this is another conspiracy against children.

to make them not able to do more things, to keep them as sheltered as possible so they dont learn any kind of responsibility skills or life lessons.

children are so un-free it's ridiculous.

from rollercoasters to knives/slingshots/bbguns to driving to ... name it. kids arent allowed.

except for maybe those super sweet fortresses of tubes in front of fast food places.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
OH GEEZ !!!! I better run to the hills cuz
I accidentally stepped on an ant hill
killing hundreds of them.

I mean I did try to help them by giving them
something to drink from that 5 gal gas can.
But it seemed to only make it worse.

Then I tried to re-build their home by
dropping a couple tons of dirt on top
of them so their new house could be
doubly re-enforced. And not a single one
of them came out to say thanks.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

are you trying to be the mentally handicapped kid who gave his gerbil as much coffee as he wanted?

i dun get it

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Yet another reason not to visit Great Britain. What the hell is going on over there.? You guys and gals live in a damn near totalitarian police state.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
From source
Her offence was to unwittingly sell a goldfish to a 14-year-old boy taking part in a trading standards 'sting'.

What sort of narc/stool pidgeon or uptight prick this kid will grow to be. Probably another pig given authority who will abuse it to the max.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
I find it comforting that the US is not the only country where public servants, officiates, and functionaries, are displaying the radical loss of intelligence and common sense... maybe the medical community will finally be driven to identify the root cause and cure the ailment.

Unfortunately the good old days of locking these idiots in the asylum for life are gone.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by acrux

Originally posted by Maxmars

Unfortunately the good old days of locking these idiots in the asylum for life are gone.

i actually think there is no difference between now, or back then, just publicity has gotten better(?).

they should all be locked up for sure.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
okay i get her getting a fine even though i dont think its right but why is she been tagged for such a small so called crime i really dont get it why are not the criminals who shop lift or steal property getting tagged? or maybe thats next and any minor crime trespassing,speeding,parking fines etc we will all get a tag for it

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by mahtoosacks
maybe this is another conspiracy against children.

to make them not able to do more things, to keep them as sheltered as possible so they dont learn any kind of responsibility skills or life lessons.

children are so un-free it's ridiculous.

from rollercoasters to knives/slingshots/bbguns to driving to ... name it. kids arent allowed.

except for maybe those super sweet fortresses of tubes in front of fast food places.

TPTB cant be having children thinking they have some sense of security. prohibit everything and they will just assume they need permission for anything.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Did she lose her gerbil and goldfish lisence? I had a friend once who worked at a grocery store deli who ate a piece of cheese and the store had him arrested cause he didn't pay for it...strange times were living in

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Strange times we're living in indeed. This reminds me a bit about a case recently ocurred in Belgium. An old lady fell off her bike, face down on the concrete road. She was admitted to the hospital for about a week or so. But guess what? She was vined to pay a few hundred euro's because she made a blood stain on the concrete, which had to be removed.
Later, the vine was lifted by the govt because of the exaggeration of the vine.

Just illustrate why I sometimes hope that alien life will land in the Gobi dessert rather than the city.

[edit on 31-3-2010 by -Thom-]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Isn't anyone interested in the conspiracy aspect of this? The facts as reported by the Mail Online clearly show that the police and the council, both public corporations, conspired to entrap Joan Higgins and her son. As no actual harm was done to anyone (or animal) in this case, why was it brought to court? Because the corporations involved make money by processing cases such as this one. But some of you already knew that, you work for these parasites.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join