It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Decriminalizing pot would devastate cartels

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Decriminalizing pot would devastate cartels

www.suntimes.com

One step forward: California voters will get a chance in November to decide if the state should legalize marijuana. Two steps backward: Secretary of State Hillary Clinton recently told authorities in Mexico that the United States was looking at anything that worked to fight the drug cartels killing Mexicans daily -- but responded "no" when asked if anything included legalizing or decriminalizing marijuana.

The California vote, however it turns out, constitutes a recognition that millions of Americans see lighting up a joint as no different than sipping a martini. Clinton's rejection of e
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Well kids, this is further evidence that the powers that be are making profit off of the drug war. If this is the solution to the Mexican cartels, spilling violence into the States, then we should think seriously about using that solution.

I really hope to see help legalized in America, and I see this as further proof that it would be good for our country.

www.suntimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   
No doubt it would help! It would also help me stay out of some shady areas lol. I'd really like to see Cali do this and hope other states are right in tow.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Not gonna happen as the CIA would have to find new ways of making an income.

Second line.

[edit on 31-3-2010 by yeebsy]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Well, when the number 1 cartel is the US government, and the CIA acts as their drug mules, I don't expect to see any support for decriminalization or legalization anytime soon. With marijuana being the #1 cash crop of many states, the tax implications of making this a legal, registered and controlled (like alcohol) activity are ASTOUNDING! BUT... all of that aside, it would return the revenue to the states as opposed to military black budgets, kickbacks, off-shore "retirement" accounts etc... Nope, watch the federal government begin howling like children when their favorite toy has been taken away over this. That alone should provide enough evidence for people to wake up and recognize theat the federal government is the biggest drug cartel in the world!

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I don't see the cartels going away anytime soon...
If you made pot legal the government is sure to step in and tax the hell out of it... The cartels will still bring it in and offer a better product at a cheaper price... add to that cartels are into way more then pot. they bring in the harder stuff from coke to ecstasy... big trade in girls too... bringing in Brown girls to cater to Americans and taking back white girls to cater to their other clientele.

Nope I don't see cartels going anywhere anytime soon, not as long as there's money to be made and power to grab.

[edit on 31-3-2010 by DaddyBare]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
yeaaaaaaaaaah, as if we did not have enough problems with our legalised western narcotic, alcohol, we have to add to our problems by legalising pot

These articles are written with a detached elitist/liberal mentallity, referring to it as sipping martinis, ie, how they perceive it in their safe minority circle- in the sink estates, the low life areas where kids are on the receiving end, martinis are not sipped, people take straight vodka, any dirty ould swish, and their behaviour is mirrored with other drugs, and families are destroyed.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by blueorder

How would legalising pot cause any problems? Alcohol and all other drugs are 100 times more harmful than pot is. I've never seen anyone on pot being violent or mean or whatever to other people. But I've seen it a lot from alcohol and things that are already legalised.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Legalization is a double edged sword.

It might help ease the strain in jails by not criminally prosecuting the users but,it also has a disadvantage if the government wants to get their hands in the till.
When talking about marijuana people have to keep in mind that any person can grow this plant which is why they don't have the control of it to profit and monopolize the industry.
This is a market that is controlled by the people growing it,not by the government.

To me any form of legalization is both welcome and scary.

I welcome it for the reason it doesn't make sense to me to hold people in jails for it.Its a waste of money prosecuting pot smokers.

I am against it because I see legalization as a way to try to maybe control or manipulate markets much like they do most other markets.

Lets just hope if it is legalized it is because they are trying to cut costs on jails and the justice system.
Can you guys imagine if they prosecuted everyone who had a beer??

I do fear government control on this issue because that seems to be what they do and I don't really trust the government with its decision making skills.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by jeasahtheseerHow would legalising pot cause any problems? Alcohol and all other drugs are 100 times more harmful than pot is. I've never seen anyone on pot being violent or mean or whatever to other people. But I've seen it a lot from alcohol and things that are already legalised.

I have seen loads of people violent on drugs- in my town, the people who you would know as violent "involved" people are more likely to take pot. A cursory look at the backgrounds to many murder cases would show how pot is not this mythical peace loving drug- it disturbs reality, some people are already disturbed enough without having further disturbance- I really feel sorry for the kids who suffer because of the views of a detached minority who talk about "martinis"

In the west we have a problem with our legal narcotic, alcohol- God knows that gives us enough problems, yet there is this notion that we should add to our legalised problems by legalising other drugs- sometimes the biggest pressure stopping kids from taking drugs and resisting peer pressure is the knowledge that it is illegal- now obviously many kids will take it anyway- but for a lot of people that illegality is clearly a barrier

As always it is those on the margins who will suffer, even more than they do now, all so some elitist martini sipping twat can feel better about his joint

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Well its a known fact that people with personality disorders and stuff like that shouldn't be smoking pot. But all I know is in the bay area where I live a lot of people smoke pot, always have and always will, its pretty much legal here already and in most parts (except some parts of oakland) its pretty peaceful here. Whenever you hear about gangbangers and violence and stuff like that its always involving crystal meth and crack and stuff.

And pot is already legal here for medical purposes, and it helps LOTS of terminally ill patients... etc with their pain. Pot is much better to take for pain than NARCOTICS (marijuana is not a narcotic) such as oxycontin and vicodin and stuff. Do you atleast agree that its a safer alternative for pain than the legal substances (such as oxycontin and other opiates) are?

[edit on 31-3-2010 by jeasahtheseer]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by jeasahtheseer
Well its a known fact that people with personality disorders and stuff like that shouldn't be smoking pot. But all I know is in the bay area where I live a lot of people smoke pot, always have and always will, its pretty much legal here already and in most parts (except some parts of oakland) its pretty peaceful here. Whenever you hear about gangbangers and violence and stuff like that its always involving crystal meth and crack and stuff.

for sure people can be "peaceful" and take pot, but criminal and violent acts are more likely to occur if people take pot compared with not taking pot- it affects your perception of reality, some to extreme levels. I would also say those gangbangers take pot along with whatever else they choose to add to their mind altering cocktail

And pot is already legal here for medical purposes, and it helps LOTS of terminally ill patients... etc with their pain. Pot is much better to take for pain than NARCOTICS such as oxycontin and vicodin and stuff. Do you atleast agree that its a safer alternative for pain than the legal substances (such as oxycontin and other opiates) are?

There are certainly arguments for its use in certain medical ailments

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Well you have your opionon and I have mine. All I know is in my experience I have never seen anyone smoke or eat pot and become violent. They become calm, relaxed, talkative and chill. They usually just want to hang out and do art or write or listen to music or eat chips and watch tv lol.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   

where did you get your information... the movie Reefer Madness??

pot isnt a narcotic. stop spreading misinformation.

pot is very helpful for people with cancer, just go ask someone who is taking it, and you will know.

it's quite obvious who benifits most from it being illegal. the police.
it's quite obvious where their budgets come from.

just because police make a lot of money with it, does that give anyone a right to make something illegal?

its just a plant, that doesnt harm anyone or anything. god created everything for us, right?

stop categorizing this in the same boat with coc aine, crack, meth, heroin. it just makes you look dumb.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
On the plus...less people in jail, more money for our big government.

On the negative, pot heads are usually lazy, and Americans are already getting a reputation as such.
Just what we need, all of California with the munchies, well, it would bring back the cosmetic surgions I guess.
This is a tough call, I used to as 'blueorder' would say 'take pot' I would take a lot of pot, everyday, all day. If what I smoked was taxed, there would be less pothole in our streets and more cops on every corner, that was a lot of pot. And I didn't do anything that couldn't include pot, I didn't spend time with anyone who didn't like pot. And we spent lots and lots of time daydreaming about what we would do. And we didn't do much besides play video games.
Pot is like alcohal, and coc aine and other mind altering substances.
But they are all different. Some people can use these drugs recreationaly, some can't.
So, maybe if pot was taxed, and it usage was tracked, our big brother could let us know when we use too much?
Would that be a good thing 'heads' ?

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Legalization isn't the way forward. Decriminalization is!

IRM

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcouncil=wisdom

the people performing their jobs as air traffic control, or police, or heavy equipment operators wouldnt be instantly allowed out of drug screening. they would still have to prove competency just the same.

to say that just because it's legal, everyone would now be stoners, is wrong.

most of the allure to people to do anything, is when they are told they can't do something. "OH YEAH ILL SHOW HIM..."

when its up everywhere, its usually not as big a thrill as before.

take alcohol and underage drinkers. when you are 18, you just want to get alcohol... "OMG OMGOMG i wanna get drunk.. its so cool"

then you turn 21, and it's not so much a problem (not including the first few days when you can now do it legally) but your consumption usually goes down after it becomes legal.

there are people today who will not drink, or smoke, or do heroin, with or without peer pressure.

Yet, people have a problem with abuse in all things: drugs, sex, power, even religion. yes i think some people are addicted to religion. if anything killed more people throughout time.... it's religion. i didnt say i was atheist, wackos (no offense)... chill out.

i dont think any regulation would be neccessary. it is self regulating. well any more regulations than say for alcohol.

alcohol has always been way worse of a substance than pot any day.

pot doesnt even limit your brain functions as bad as alcohol.

alcohol makes retarded, aggressive jerks MULTIPLIED as such. pot makes this same person creative and sleepy.

your call, america.

it would take the money away from cartels, and give it to our roads and schools. it would also get rid of the hood rats pushing it, the nice people getting caught up with these people, and whole lot more peaceful and prosperous nation as a whole.

if it didnt, then why did america REGULATE that a certain percentage of american crops be HEMP?

i guess americans were just lazy stoners back in the 17 and 1800's right?

www.naihc.org...

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Many states have decriminalized it to some degree, such as California and Colorado. The reason is for tax purposes and the Federal Government figures that if somebody is purchasing something they ought to be paying taxes to the Fed on it so they started decriminalizing it.

But lets just pretend that the state of Texas one day succeeds from the Federal Government and declares marijuana legal the very same day. What would happen then? It would be a full scale american revolution all over again.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by 12.21.12

i think i would be moving to texas that day as well

who wouldnt?

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by mahtoosacks

Personally I'm on the fence with this one.
As far as it devastating the cartels...I don't think so, when I smoked, me and my buddies had our own network of freindly home growers, and I think that is how most people that like the real dank do it. Now, when it comes to brick weed that's full of icky seeds and straight from mexico, sure, but that crap sucks anyways and needs to go. And there is the Ok B.C. stuff that we'd get from the bro's up north, but it always smelt like hay anyways, so who wants that. So, no, decriminalizing it IMO won't hurt the cartels, they have other more profitible means of staying in business. The little guy keeping his buddies high, yeah, he might have a problem, but he aint a cartel.

As regards alcohal vs pot. Hands down, no argument. Alcohal's effects when overused are devastating, socially and physically. Pot on the other hand, not so much. Lazyness is not a crime, and I have rarely met anyone that got violent when stoned, argumentative, sure. Nor have I met anyone with liver problems from pot usage, or ulcers...memory problems, uh...maybe, I can't remember.

But, please, please don't try to confuse the subject by trying to compare comercial uses of hemp with smokable pot. Those are two different weeds and you know it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join