It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What good is it to "star" someone?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Obviously flagging a topic means something, you're saying it's something important that should be at the top of the page. It also increases the flag contribution meter for the author of the topic. I'm currently not aware of any benefit a member gets for being "starred". There really should be something that makes a heavily starred user or post stand out from the rest.

Maybe a code could be added to make a post with lots of stars visually stand out from the rest, and members who have received lots of stars can get some sort of badge on their mini-profile?

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by MrAndy

i feel the current system is suitable.... giving too much acreditation to members will result in ego wars!
You star a post you agree with, you star a post that is informative and well presented.
You do not star the trolls, bickerers and the anally retentives.

Stars will award the recieving member with points. It is special form of group discipline where the majority will decide who adds value to the forum and who doesn't.

Some people only give stars for really special occassions and other throw them around willy nilly, though some people are just down right lazy or don't agree with any form of reward system on a forum of this nature.

[edit on 31/3/10 by spearhead]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by spearhead
reply to post by MrAndy

i feel the current system is suitable.... giving too much acreditation to members will result in ego wars!
You star a post you agree with, you star a post that is informative and well presented.
You do not star the trolls, bickerers and the anally retentives.

yeah but he/she is asking WHAT DO THE STARS DO?

Nobody actually knows do they? I sure don't...

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

sorry accidentally posted an incompleter.

it's like rewarding people... i think it adds like 10 or 100 points to your account which you can use to modify you profile or buy acces into the RATS!

look here! Sauron puts it in check,
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

They highlight a good post.

If I enter a thread late and there are several pages of replies it allows me to pick and choose the best replies (the most starred replies) so I don't have to trawl though them all.

Also, if I don't wish to actually reply to a thread I can star a post that I agree with instead.

Simples.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by MrAndy

What good is it to "star" someone?

What good is it for me to star someone else? Nothing really, except that I don't mind showing some appreciation for a good presentation. I don't have to agree with it, either. If it is well written and done without trying to tear down something else to legitimize its own existence, it can be worth a little recognition... via a star.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by MrAndy

I think they get ATS points for those

[edit on 31-3-2010 by reject]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 06:25 AM
link   
lol i dont even know how to give someone a star yet... or can only special ppl give others stars

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 06:43 AM
link   
I try to star/flag most threads that I like. Obviously sometimes i forget, but that's life. personally, i'd like to see some sort of anti flag system to balance things out. It'd be handy to de-flag threads that are blatently vicsious/not nice. It'd be handy to show a true representation of feelings that some threads can envoke.

Other than that, flags give your blue thing a little boost, and you get points, but at the end of the day, that's a little pointless if you've got all you need here on ATS. (accsess to rats/taglines ect)

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I'm somewhat astounded that I have 800 stars.

I mean, seriously, I'm starting to rival our goddamn solar system. That's just how mnay stars I've got. It's always nice to receive a star.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
In the cyber world, giving a star is like saying "atta boy" in the real world.

You can also type "atta boy" when referring to an especially good post or thread Or give em a couple of these....
but these cudos aren't recorded; still it's the thought that matters.

Everyone likes to be rewarded for a job well done.

[edit on 31-3-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
With the new ATS 2010 redesign... the reasons for starring a good post will become apparent.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by MrAndy

I'm currently not aware of any benefit a member gets for being "starred".

I don't think there is any real benefit other than getting a post noticed.

On my end, when I see that I got stars, it encourages me somewhat. Not that I post only to get stars, but it's nice from time to time to see that someone agrees with me/appreciates my input.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
With the new ATS 2010 redesign... the reasons for starring a good post will become apparent.

Oooh sounds good.

Atta boy !

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

You can also type "atta boy" when referring to an especially good post or thread Or give em a couple of these.... but these cudos aren't recorded; still it's the thought that matters.

Hey whaaa what about "atta girl" did you forget that there are girls, women on this wonderful forum..

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I star posts I agree with. If I am following a thread, I dont peter out on page twenty and quit starring like a lot of folks seem to do. I think stars are really nice because a lot of people dont start threads a lot (like me) but love to be able to contribute hopefully content to threads I like.

I like to star when someone adds something worthwhile to the thread (linkage or such, expanding upon op, etc. )

Sometimes I star my friends especially if I love what they say!

And sometimes I star noobies posts to make them feel good when they try their best to contribute (thats the mommy in me).

I love starring more than flagging.

Because I love the stars!!!!

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Bill,

I can't help but feel there's an April Fools joke coming tomorrow....

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I thought it was a cool feature to see a star once in a while.
For any reason as a goof or your thought sounded true.
Other forums do not have that.
Better than youtube with the thumbs down I get from anti Tesla agents.

[edit on 3/31/2010 by TeslaandLyne]

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Well, I was in the giving stars mood, but since you don't know what good they do, you're not getting one!

APRIL FOOL!!!

There you go, have a star, doesn't that make you feel better?

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

Sorry....

"atta girl"

new topics

top topics

join