It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bombs kill 12 in Russia, days after metro attacks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Bombs kill 12 in Russia, days after metro attacks

au.news.yahoo.com

MAKHACHKALA, Russia (Reuters) - Suspected suicide bombers killed at least 12 people in Russia's North Caucasus on Wednesday, two days after deadly attacks in Moscow that authorities linked to insurgents from the region.

The coordinated attack in the town of Kizlyar in Dagestan, neighboring Chechnya, was the latest outbreak in a surge of violence in the Caucasus that is challenging the Kremlin a decade after a war against Chechen separatists.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Looks like the ball hasn't even started rolling yet.

Chechens may well have a guerilla force that has been underestimated in size and capabilites. The Russians will react accordingly and the war will start again after 10 years.

I don't understand whether the Northen Caucases are fighting for what has been done to them in the past or what is being done to them now.
Now Russia will be in full recoil and the spring back is gonna knock Chechnya off the map!

au.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 05:48 AM
link   
The Chechens are some tough SOB's!!! Russia will have a very vicious fight on their hands that's for sure.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Zosynspiracy

I would totally agree with that! And unfortunately for Russia their not just fighting an enemy, their fighting an ideology.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Judging by how suspicious the subway bombing was, being right under the FSB headquarters, and immediate linkage to Chechnya, and the FBI in D.C. having a terror campaign of their own, I think this is highly suspect. Putin says he wants to "drag them out from the sewers" kind of sounds like the same playbook that "hunt them down in caves" came from. This new attack they impersonated a police officer, I wonder if they got the uniform through the FSB. Putin once again proclaims it was Chechnya without giving us any evidence. Are the people not worthy of looking at the KGB intelligence oh great ones? Doesn't this all sound a lot like Catholic Priests hiding the bible from their people?

[edit on 31-3-2010 by filosophia]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by spearhead
Looks like the ball hasn't even started rolling yet.

The ball has been rolling for nearly two decades now. As tragic as it is, these events have shown that Russia is more or less used to terrorism by now. There have been far worse terrorist acts in the past in Russia.

Chechens may well have a guerilla force that has been underestimated in size and capabilites.

On the contrary, I think this is a move of desperation by Chechens. Suicide bombing does not take much in the way of manpower, preparation, and planning. A hostage taking is a much more complex and difficult task requiring many terrorist fighters - and the last major hostage taking situation was over 5 years ago in Beslan.

The Russians will react accordingly and the war will start again after 10 years.

A war with who? Chechnya is already under Russian control. The isolated groups of rebels are hiding in the unpopulated mountains, and are gradually being hunted down.

I don't understand whether the Northen Caucases are fighting for what has been done to them in the past or what is being done to them now.

Not North Caucases, but militants and insurgents from Chechenya and to smaller extent Dagestan. There are very many different ethnicities and groups in the Caucases, and they live peacefully.

And they are fighting largely for money. Most of the militants today are hired mercenaries. The funding largely comes from outside sources, many in the Middle East (ex. Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates). War is a business there.

[edit on 31-3-2010 by maloy]

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by maloy

I applaud your ability to dissect by what appears to be the incoherent ramblings of the uninformed!

What would be the ideal way to end the madness in the area? Do you think it will never end?
On the news here, in Australia, all we here is the Chechyans this, the North Caucasus that. From what you've posted it would appear that they are just the patsies in a secret agenda. Motives unknown?
What are your thoughts?

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   

What would be the ideal way to end the madness in the area? Do you think it will never end?

Well much of Chechnya has already stabilized, and the militants are pretty much hiding out in the mountains or roaming in the neighboring republics. As for combating the rebels - it is not going to end quickly, and will likely drag on in the form of a small-scale conflict for some time. The terrorists obviously have affluent sponsors who keep pumping money to them regardless of the fact that they already abandoned the original independence struggle.

As for the future, I think that as the standard of living in the region gradually improves and the scars of the wars slowly disappear, it should get better. When will that happen? That is anyone's guess.

And there is no clear solution here. The Russian government has to avoid alienating regular Chechen civilians, so there will not be a massive crackdown that some are predicting. The best solution will likely require more money spend, specifically on intelligence and security in the North Caucasus. The FSB and GRU agencies should focus on infiltrating the remaining terrorist cells, and should eliminate them without endangering the lives of regular civilians.

From what you've posted it would appear that they are just the patsies in a secret agenda. Motives unknown?
What are your thoughts?

Their motives are not unlike those of Al Quida and other Islamic terrorist cells. As the Chechen rebels get further and further away from the original separatism motives, they are becoming more and more like a regular insurgency composed of mercenaries and brain washed individuals. Not surprisingly there are more and more ties recently linking the Chechen militants with Al Quida.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by filosophia
Judging by how suspicious the subway bombing was, being right under the FSB headquarters.....

Why is that "suspicious"? I'd think that FSB HQ is a nice target for someone to take out, so it makes sense to bomb it.

top topics

join