It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain predicted hottest summer for years

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Deja vu

I remember a thread almost identical to this one last March...

10,000 BRITS COULD DIE IN SUMMER HEATWAVE

Normally I wouldn't mind if certain groups can't reliably predict something that far in the future but in this case millions of pounds/dollars/euros are spent on weather stations and satelites etc.

Even the short range forecasts for my area are usually wrong.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_

Originally posted by Merriman Weir
I hate hot weather but, given the track record for any long term forecast for these islands, I'll sleep easy tonight knowing it's going to be unlikely.

I'd actually settle for some definable seasons though, to be honest. Whenever I open my curtains of a morning, it could be any month of the year where I live.

Come on, clear blue skies, hot half naked women, ice cream, ice cold drinks, summer music, going out and enjoying the sun.

What are these things you speak of?

Your saying that ain't better than every day depressing grey skies, making us look like pale grey people, walking around looking half dead from depression and work, people all looking at you all pissed off, and you trying to enjoy your day.

I live between Manchester and the Pennines. I don't really know anything else!

I'd take a hot day any day, because when it's hot you know the people of the UK take every chance they get to enjoy it. Which is better than the usual depressing atmosphere

[edit on 31-3-2010 by _Phoenix_]

Seriously, all hot weather means to me is pasty white men walking around with no top on, drinking too much lager after being out in the sun too long with confused, aggressive looks on their faces. People opening the windows for the first time in months wanting to share their #ty taste in music with people on the other side of the town. People suddenly remembering where the green spaces are and suddenly acting as if they own it despite not having been to that park for 12 months.

Nah, I'll stick to the rain and the snow, thanks.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by DCDAVECLARKE

Aye, I remember '76

Oddly enough, it was globally a very cold year.

Personally I've no probs with a few days in the low 80f range - but a long hot spell for me is just depressing. What's the point in dry, sunny days when it's too hot to go outside and you're in a bad mood all the time due to lack of sleep ..... ?

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essan
reply to post by DCDAVECLARKE

Aye, I remember '76

Oddly enough, it was globally a very cold year.

Personally I've no probs with a few days in the low 80f range - but a long hot spell for me is just depressing. What's the point in dry, sunny days when it's too hot to go outside and you're in a bad mood all the time due to lack of sleep ..... ?

A man after my own heart. People seem to have a weird view of sunshine in this country, that it suddenly makes everything a jolly, happy place. Personally, all I ever see is people irritable or acting stupid because they think they can handle spending 12 hours straight in the hot sun and think that extra 6 cans of super-strength lager will stop them getting dehydrated.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Excellent. We are going camping this year. Last time we had gale force winds and rain all week.

Its about time we had some nicer weather, so far it has rained and rained.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Okay, i can sum this up in two words...

1. Utter Rubbish

Weather forecasting cannot be predicted past a window of about 2 months and even then, the chances of pulling off that forecast are about 10% confidence. It is almost if not totally impossible to make the prediction that the weather will be a BUMPER summer since all the long range forecasting models at that input are highly inaccuate.

It seems like a perfect opportunity to divert peoples attention from the ferocious weather we have had and are currently having, lets sum that part up too...

Recent Weather

1. Worst winter in Scotland since 1961
2. Worst winter in England since 1981
3. Temp min of -22oC (scotland)
4. Some areas in scotland have had snow on the ground since 17th December

Current Weather

1. Over 100,000 homes and businesses without power
2. Death of a girl in Scotland
3. Caravan site partially washed away
4. People trapped in cars overnight

No what better way to get people to have a bit more faith in the Met Office or weather in general and to take their mind off of the fact that we are 1 1/2 hours away from April and its a blizzard outside (last time since 1998 i believe)...

Honestly, i'll put my house on it that its a summer of flooding, severe thunderstoms, tornados and about 2 weeks of sunshine...

Just what usually happen when they say SUMMER WILL BE A SCORCHER!

(remember, we do live in a temperate climate driven by the sea, not an arid continental climate, no part f the UK is more than 100 miles from the sea so it has a very big influence on our little island)

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Ah ha, thing is, even if we have some Sun for like.. Two weeks, that would feel like its the hottest ever because I cant really remmember the last time I actually seen the Sun. Come to think of it.., what is the Sun?
Thats all I know about is rain clouds, rain, more rain and flooding..

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrmcleod
Okay, i can sum this up in two words...

1. Utter Rubbish

Are you a Scottish ATS member? if so, don't forget, unless you live in london or the South East of England, you don't really count anyway.

I was genuinely angry this morning when, the BBC, kept mentioning the mind-boggling amount of people still without electricity in Scotland almost as an aside.

The Londoncentricism and the disregard the BBC has for the North of England, Scotland and Wales is farcical.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Sun for Beautiful Days please....apart from then, well, not really bothered apart from a business point of view.
Sun brings people into my beer garden in their droves!

And I must admit I do like the occassional barbecue myself and I have discussed having a mini-festival for local bands in my large car park, both rely on sunshine!

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Merriman Weir

Seriously, all hot weather means to me is pasty white men walking around with no top on, drinking too much lager after being out in the sun too long with confused, aggressive looks on their faces. People opening the windows for the first time in months wanting to share their #ty taste in music with people on the other side of the town. People suddenly remembering where the green spaces are and suddenly acting as if they own it despite not having been to that park for 12 months.

Nah, I'll stick to the rain and the snow, thanks.

LOL thanks for that image, now I'm a bit less excited...

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

Not buying this prediction - Have been told this for the last 2-3 years had nothing but rain, rain, rain........ (Okay so its not MET Office saying it - The MET Office should make themselves redundant).

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
38.7 degrees or whatever it was in Kent is not hard to achieve when the weather station is poorly sited.

I think the weather station that recorded that crazy high temperature must have been surrounded by concrete, elevating the ambient temperature. I can't see how it could possibly get that warm.

I wll tell you in December what the summer was like. The real reason the Met Office predicted a hot summer last year was to fit in with the rest of their global warming crapola. The weather couldn't have turned out more different!

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
well, squabble as to long range accuracy all you like...

the only forecaster i 90% trust is the creator of the Electric Universe theory
and his accurate weather forecasts because he uses the electrical-discharge component in creating his forecasts...

no-body is allowed to snip~or~quote from his website, so all i can do is list his site: www.jmccanneyscience.com...

and read through his long range forecasts, which may include the Isles & North Sea areas for 2010... i don't know... nor can i legally tell...
its J McCanneys wish.

having his info is a lot like getting a handicap sheet, you will have at least a 10% edge over the uninformed players

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join