Ten Signs You Are An Unquestioning Christian

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by impaired

1. No, its more of a sadness in that I believe they are basically doing idolatry because though there may be plenty of "gods"(angels/demons) there is only one God, yes

2. Somewhat, yes, but don't you realize evolution says we evolved from a rock? The only string it has tied to that puppy is over "billions and billions of years", where as there actually IS a side of evidence that does prove creation - but unfortunately towards each side (evolution vs creation) has some bias in it whether its wanted to be accounted for or not. Ever heard of radio polonium halos? Why is the oldest desert or coral reef only about 4300 years old? If coal takes "millions and millions of years" to form, why have they found solid bronze objects in the middle of a coal mine in the midst of coal? (the great flood which in my estimate timeline happened around 4400 years ago)

3. I don't laugh, I listen to their side of the arguement and I point mine. I have to admit I don't completely understand the Trinity, but in gist of what I figure is they are each different - but still one in the same. They all have the same knowledge, are the same deity, but the aspects of how they work is on different levels that complement eachother. Say in terms of man vs. woman. We all have the same traits, just per each one different said traits are heightened to complement the other.

4. No I am filled with sadness. Yes those were unfortunate times but have you ever actually looked into the information at hand there? Do you know why those towns were destroyed such as Sodom and Gomorrah? They were insanely wicked! Abraham negotiated with God, basically saying "If I find 10 good men, this town will be saved?" God agreed. Abraham went out to find 10 good men and couldn't even do it. Rather when God sent angels to protect them, the townspeople just talked smack and tried getting them to let the people have sex or "gain carnal knowledge" of the angels. I may have a narrow viewpoint, but I trust God with all my heart and I know ultimately he wants the best for people so if he destroyed a good town, based on the other bits of evidence I've seen - I can trust he probably had a darn good reason.

5. I don't necessarily laugh at this either, but just as behind some folk tales there lies a bit of truth. In the bible in mentions how angels came down and had sex with women to make Giants (such as Goliath? you heard of him?) as well as tought them astronomy and other things, which by the way they turned the world so wicked that it had to be destroyed with a flood in which only Noah's (pure) blood line was saved (because there had to be a pure blood line from Adam for Jesus to be born). So perhaps the greek/hindu gods are actually bad angels sent to corrupt man and take him away from his path with God, the Almighty?

6. Scientifically established? Sorry bub, but it is still a THEORY. Yes they have some proof within the guidelines of their THEORY, but hey, so does Creationism/Christianity! Have you ever looked for the evidence PROVING it rather than DISPROVING it? Probably not because all you really know is what you heard up til age 10 when you decided to become defiant and independant rather than trying to have a relationship with God.

7. Yes and no. I'm not completely sure what will happen to all of the other religions. I believe if the person is unable to comprehend (mentally challenged, child, etc.) then they will goto Heaven because they lacked the capacity to grasp the magnitude, and those who haven't heard His name may be judged on what they know pertaining to God. Just saying every religion has Nth # of laws that you must obey to get into Heaven/Paradise and if you do GOOD ENOUGH, then you'll be lucky enough to go. Christianity isn't about that though I believe in institutions it had been used as a source of power, but why does that automatically

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by octotom

1: You vigorously deny the existence of thousands of gods claimed by other religions, but feel outraged when someone denies the existence of YOUR god.

Is a Christian not allowed to get upset when someone says their God doesn't exist? Don't people of other faiths get upset when their god is denied?
but its okay to deny someon elses god right?

2: You feel insulted and "dehumanized" when scientists say that people evolved from lesser life forms, but you have no problem with the Biblical claim that we were created from dirt.

I know plenty of Christians that don't believe in evolution and none of them feel dehumanized or insulted when evolutionists say that humans evolved from lesser forms of life. They just feel that the evolution theory is silly.

Also, being Christian doesn't not necessarily imply not believing in evolution. Many Christians believe that evolution may have played some role in creation.
but the magic creation of human beings isnt silly? it sounds fairytale-esque to me

3: You laugh at polytheists, but you have no problem with believing in a Trinity god.

I've yet to meet a Christian that's laughed at polytheists.

To equate the Trinity to polytheism though shows not even the simplest understanding of what the Trinity is.

why bother with the trinity there is either 3 gods or 1 not both. or none at all simple logic

4: Your face turns purple when you hear of the atrocities attributed to Allah, but you don't even flinch when hearing about how God/Jehova slaughtered all of the babies of Egypt in 'Exodus' and ordered the elimination of ENTIRE ETHNIC GROUPS in 'Joshua' - including women, children, and animals.

I know that I'm going to catch flak for this, as the Nephilim were already mentioned, but the "ethnic groups" that were "wiped out", when you take the Bible at face value weren't exactly human.
then what were they? please elaborate

5: You laugh at Hindu beliefs that defy humans, and Greek claims about gods sleeping with women, but you have no problem in believing that the Holy Spirit impregnated Mary, who then gave birth to a man-god who got killed, came back to life and then ascended into the sky.

Christians wouldn't think the Hindu and Greek stories are true because they don't necessarily believe those gods necessarily exist. (There are some Christians, like myself, that believe that such stories may actually hold such truth, due to the Nephilim having come and impregnated women.)

Now, the Holy Spirit allowing Mary to conceive has nothing to do with God actually having relations with Mary.

If you have a problem with the idea of Jesus' death, burial, resurrection, and ascension, that's something between you and God. If it didn't happen, all those that were against Jesus and his teachings had to do was bring forth his bones after three days.
maybe there are no bones because either the tomb is lost or he never existed

6: You are willing to spend your life looking for little loopholes in the scientifically established age of Earth (4.55 billion years), but you find nothing wrong with believing dates recorded by pre-historic tribesmen sitting in their tents and guessing that the Earth is a couple of generations old.

Not all Christians are Young Earth Creationists. I'm not for example. Many others aren't either. I believe that the Universe is 13 billion years old and the Earth is 4.55 billion years old.

The Pentateuch says that it was more or less dictated by God to Moses. Yes, Genesis says that everything was created in six days. According to whose time though? Science has discovered that time is affected by where you're at. It's entirely possible that the days that are mentioned are from God's point of view. (This in fact, is what the ancient Jewish rabbinc sages believed.)

"The Hebrew word for ‘day’ is ‘yom’ and this word can occasionally be used to mean an indefinite period of time, if the content warrants. In the overwhelming preponderance of its occurrences in the O.T., however, it means a literal day… Still further, the plural form of the word (Hebrew 'yamim') is used over 700 times in the O.T. and always, without exception, refers to literal ‘days.’"

7: You believe that the entire population of this planet, with the exception of those who share your beliefs - though excluding those in all rival sects - will spend eternity in an infinite hell of suffering. Yet you consider your religion the most tolerant and loving.

Well, it's not our choice as to who goes to hell and who doesn't. God has said that the only way to him is through Christ. Christians are called to preach that message and love our neighbors as ourselves in order to show Christ's love. Yes, some aren't as good at this than others. None the less, in the end, it is your choice as to what you're going to do with the Gospel Message. God has warned you, and Christians continue to warn you today. At the Final Judgement, you'll have no excuse. You were warned.
there are a lot of christians out there who will tell you that that is bunk

8: While modern science, history, geology, biology, and physics have failed to convince you otherwise, some person rolling around on the floor 'speaking in tongues' may be all the evidence you need.

Not all Christians are Pentecostal/Charismatic. As the trend has been so far through this post, I'm not. Not all Christians are, only a very small group. Many Christians, like myself, do believe that the sign gifts have a purpose for today. I'll go on to say to that the "speaking in tongues" that we all know is not what is shown in the Bible and the Charismatic Movement isn't even remotely practicing the gift as it should.

9: You define 0.01% as a "high success rate" when it comes to answered prayers. You consider that to be the evidence that prayer works, and you think that the remaining 99.99 % failure was simply the will of God.

[quoteTo quote Mark Driscoll, "Every prayer is answered; the answer is either yes, no, or wait.

Where does this .01% success rate come from? Left field?
maybe its not god saying no maybe its nothing at all and your ocasional yes is coincidence

10: You actually know a lot less than many Atheists and Agnostics do about the Bible, Christianity, and church history, but still call yourself a "Christian".

Wouldn't that actually be a sign that someone may not actually be Christian?

You wouldn't call someone a Buddhist that thought Buddha meditated under a palm tree, would you?

What I love are the non-Christians that think they know more about Christianity than the Christian, but refuse to listen to what a Christian may say about something because it contradicts what the person already believes (i.e., that the First Council of Nicea had anything to do with the canon of the New Testament.)
EVERYTHING. jk i dont know anything about that

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by zaiger

Originally posted by ashanu90
reply to post by zaiger

so do you suffer from the ten points or not?

No i do not suffer from the "ten points" im not even christian. But i do not have to be christian to see that those 10 points are every bit as retarded as the 10 points i laid out.

i have the impression that you are a pissed of zealot

So i disagree with that crap so i am a "pissed zealot"? I believe that is probably the most ignorant thing i have heard all day.

[edit on 31-3-2010 by zaiger]

Well said.

The problem here with these points is that just like some Christians, it asserts a dogmatic perspective that attacks anyone who does not accept them.

It's childish rhetorical questioning that while certainly brings up some valid criticism chooses to dress the criticism not from an objective point of view but from a non-religious point of view.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ashanu90

The question of what is evil and what is sin runs much more deeply than what most Christians and others would like to think. The problem is that we tend to look at the world through our perspective rather than God's. You might think that your life is going great, but are you a perfect person. I do not think so. I sure know that I am not perfect. The point is that even though you are doing ok, have you commited no sins. I don't think so. Well the basic Christian belief is that we all sinned. God requires a penalty for sin (no if ands of buts). The penalty for sin is internal separation from God (or Hell). The penalty for sin was applied to Jesus when He died on the cross. That atonement is available for the asking as a gift from God. All we need to do is ask. Believe what you want to believe, but basically it comes down to the question "In eternity do we want to be with God or not".

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by GorehoundLarry

ive been an athies for about half my life
sorry to contradict you
i hate being contradicted myself as you will probably see i get contradicted alot

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
This laundry list can, with modifications, be attributed to any and all religions. Not religious myself, but aiming this list specifically at Christians makes little sense and is simply another example of Christian bashing. Islam, as an example, is just as nonsensical as Christianity, yet posters who lambaste people who go to church on Sunday rarely have an unkind word to say about the extreme elements of Islam. Irrational, biased, immature, and *obviously* political.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by SpectreDC

The problem here with these points is that just like some Christians, it asserts a dogmatic perspective that attacks anyone who does not accept them.

It's childish rhetorical questioning that while certainly brings up some valid criticism chooses to dress the criticism not from an objective point of view but from a non-religious point of view.

Its a common fallacy of False Dilemma. They draw some made up line in the sand and then use it to start in the ad hominem.

like you don't agree with me? That must mean you are a x.

What my beliefs are really are not revalant at all to the topic at hand. And he really did not adress anything i said only what he thinks i am.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   

(continued)
7. thats what God wanted? God wants a relationship with us, thats why Christ comes in because he lived the law NONE of us could so that way we didn't have to focus on our mess-ups in the law but rather learned in a relationship through Him! He will refine us like gold and silver!

8. False. There's two sides of "proof/evidence" you can look up, and guess what theres a decent amount of evidence backing up creation claims too ya know, so science hasn't failed me in that aspect. In terms of speaking in tongues, yes I believe it is possible, but I also believe that many people who claim to do as such or claim to have gifts of the Holy Spirit are just boasting false claims to make them feel better. If you are truly with God, miracles and gifts will just follow, you don't push them out to try impressing anyone.

9. I do believe prayers work, but at the same time can be ineffective in a sort other than just giving us hope, but at the same time God I believe does listen and he can incorporate our will into His will. God gives us what we need, rather than what we want, because sometimes if we get what we want, it may be the opposite of what we need. Say in poker the other night, I had two 6's, and in the pile there was a 4, 5, 7, 8 - so I was somewhat lightheartedly praying "God c'mon now gimme a six so i can win this hand with a triple!". Well, he gave me what I wanted being a 6, but it wasn't what I needed to win the hand, because come to find out someone else had a 5 and 7 that got a royal flush. Comprende?

10. I disagree with that. I do believe that I don't know anything and that I am a fool, but I am in constant progression of learning through the lessons that He teaches me through my own and His will, and I yearn for wisdom. I actually believe that believers have an edge over the average athiest though. Because most TRUE believers have started out as athiests, but no athiest has truly started out as a believer because otherwise you would've had an honest relationship with God in which he would have proven himself to you and which you would never have been able to deny or turn from him in the first place. We can understand your point of view, but you have trouble understanding ours. The most important thing of the bible is it is a picture of Jesus and we are set free! God wants us to love Him with all our might in our mind/body/soul/spirit and second next to that love our neighbors as we love ourselves, and do so in a relationship with Him through Christ because Christ made it completely possible by taking all the punishment that we all deserve so we don't have to but rather can focus on a relationship with Him rather than seeing constantly how we mess up with the law.

/rant

EDIT: first portion is at top of this page.

[edit on 31-3-2010 by SlapBassist531]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by jagdflieger

so we have to atone for sins that arent even our fault because some ignorant fools ate a fruit they werent supposed to?

and why did god send some guy to pain and suffering when he simply could have said "ok i see your sorry for what you did, i forgive you"
sounds over dramatic to me.

and what loving god would send his beloved creations to hell? such an awful place ive read about

here is something i would like to hear your input on

"Is [God] willing to prevent evil, but not able? then is he impotent. Is he able, but not willing? then is he malevolent. Is he both able and willing? whence then is evil?"-Epicurus.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   

I doubt any truly Born Again, will want to kind of go point by point. Nothing the world will ever say will change a true Christian.
Some points yes, Christians will not accept other gods and yes they get enraged cos of the ignorance around and they really do not want any1 to perish.
Other point about creation God created Adam and Eve and set them in the garden of eden. But this garden was in another dimension. When eve sinned and adam followed, He cast them into outer darkness where indeed there were people who evolved from primates or whatever and alas rest iis history.
Remember Jesus Saves. Amen.

Cheers

link   

you said mark driscoll, hahaha

the same guy who condemns homosexuality and states its ok to sodomize your wife

oh they joy of confused churchies

link   
OP - Excellent post, this should keep the fundies entertained and tied in knots for a while.

At the end of the day, this comes down to rights.

Should the right of people to religiously proselytize outweigh the rights of people who don't want to be proselytized to at any point during their life?

Of course not.

Religiously aggressive people don't like this because this fact negates their so called 'divine mandate'. This alleged divine mandate is an unwritten rule in the heads of certain individuals that states that we must all be forced to listen to or put up with their prattlings about something irrelevant and completely fantastical with regards to REALITY.

I'm quite happy to fight for and protect someones right to be religious - but their alleged right to proselytize is something I don't believe in. To me, it's a form of bullying and racism after a fashion. Religion is inherently bigoted if professed in a proselytic way to others. If it is a private matter for the individual concerned, in their sphere of being, KUDOS to them.

Christians are the worst of the lot in terms of unwarranted and abusive proselytization. The evangelical movement specifically. But it cannot be said that they are alone in doing this - all of the pseudo-Christian cults do it, as well as most of the other major religions.

Religions are a set of convictions, with no evidence to provide a sound conviction on. Logically, and empirically, Religion (especially Christianity) is a dangerous, spiteful and shameful set of private members clubs.

Loving the fundies attempts at logical discussion on here - keep trying folks, you might get somewhere if you keep questioning your faith by listening to Atheists and Agnostics.

Parallex.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Don't worry you have commited your own sins as I have done (my favorite is lust). As far as doing things of eternal consequences, do you have children? If you do, then you have done something of eternal consequence. We do things every day which may have eternal consequences for our children and their children and not give it a second thought. I am an American because one of my ancestors got on a ship in 1768 and came here rather than stay in Germany.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   

I liked the thread and agree with the 10 things.
I am a spiritual person. I believe in 80% of the teachings of the Christ, I do not believe in the magic Jesus dude walking on water and healing the blind. I don't believe in the resurrection. I do not believe in hell, nor a devil (other than ego) nor do I believe in a Zeus like god sitting in a throne judging and spanking his naughty kids.

I do believe in the cosmos, I believe that we are all part of god. I believe that "heaven" is returning to source. I have a lot of other beliefs but that's another thing all together.

My problem is I WANT TO SCREAM at the ignorant fools who pretend to be Christians and act like arseholes. I see things on TV and hear what they say and watch how they act and I want to yell HAVE YOU PEOPLE EVEN READ YOUR OWN DAMN TEACHINGS (that goes for the Muslims too).

I will say the scariest movie I have seen in years is called Jesus Camp.
By the time it was over I was frightened. I do not understand how anyone can have such conflicting views. Killing for Christ!!!!!!!!! WTF I mean WTF for real... Ugh....

But, in my beliefs I accept people with the understanding that we are all flawed by ego. I forgive people and the universe for the hardships in our life. I love as purely as I can knowing that only LOVE is real. God = Love.
Yes it can be hard and yes I fault, but I forgive myself and evolve and remember not to do/say that thing again.

WAIT!!!!! My beliefs are what CHRISTIANS are supposed to believe!?!?!
But.. But... I'm not a Christian... And my relationship with "god" is my own and perfect. How can this be????? If you take the ego out of religion it becomes a BEAUTIFUL spirituality. My relationship with "god' is knowing that life is the only known thing in the verse that says "HEY I AM PART OF THE UNIVERSE!" That is a miracle to me, that is amazing enough for me.

Oh and as for worrying about god and hell and all that crap... I was taught a long time ago by my great grandmother GeeJee who was 84ish (no one knew for sure when her birthday way) "Son don't you worry yourself with who or what god is, it's not for us to know, if it were we would know. Don't sacrifice today for a tomorrow you are not guaranteed, now turn of that TV and go outside." This same woman taught me that the Great Spirit loved us no matter what we did, that we were to love and protect each other and the gift's Great Spirit has given us (the earth and each other).

Oh and when dealing with in your face Christians remember to remind them the last commandment
"Love each other as I have loved you." they forget this one a lot and "Judge not lest ye be judged".

Namaste

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Interesting post, probably a little harsh but there are valid points in it that back me up when I claim to not be a Christian. Did Jesus Christ die on the cross....well at least in one time line. Does God answer prayers...no doubt in my mind that God communicates with us in many different ways...just have to look for them and be more aware.

Actually #10 may be the most valid. I have quite often felt that I am more Christian than most Christians I know.

Jason

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Absurd. All 10 points are based on opinion and out of context. Did you post that to try to convince Christians they are wrong or inferior? Sounds like you're miserable to me. Maybe you need Christ. ?

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   

An other point, we as far as God preventing evil. If He did then that would be a violation of free will. God will not be a "convenience store style God". That is we cannot expect Him to fix our problems after we muck them up going our own way. As far as Hell, the question is: do you want to spend eternity with God under His rule, or do you want to go your own way.

As for sending some guy for pain and suffering. The penalty for sin is the wrath of God. Jesus took that wrath upon himself. The path back to God is simple. Ask God to grant His grace upon you based upon the death of Jesus on the cross.

By the way, you all might want to read my post in BelowTopSecret concerning the prophecy of Daniel (you might find it interesting).

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   

I could'nt agree with you more..

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Puscifer- Sour Grapes lyrics SAYS ENOUGH FOR ME>
"And she spoke again, saying 'know, my child, that there is no devil seeking to cause guilt nor harm to men.
No evil, save blind faith, ignorance, and the desire for the unprepared to blame others for the devastation
left in the wake of change. Change, my child. Change is in the heavens. Change is on this earth.
Change is all around us, and we are reflections of the divine, we must roll with these changes, for we are these changes.
Eyes wide open, we must look upon the heavens as a mirror. Wide awake, aware, deeply breathing
And when the # comes down, my child, you will be there, a true and holy survivor to inherit the kingdom of god.
You will rise above the grumbles of the unprepared to greet the new day, to drink from the sweet fruit of the vine,
the water of life, the blood of the risen Christ, my child.'

'Go now, child, tell them all. The ignorant, the blinded by dogma, blinded by faith, the doubters, the nay sayers.
Tell them all, child, they cannot see the kingdom of god, they cannot see paradise unfold before them,
they cannot drink from the chalice which holds the blood of Christ, the water of life, until they get right with Jesus.
Until they get right with Jesus.
It's always gonna be sour grapes with you, boy, until you get right with Jesus."

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
HOW DARE YOU!!! how dare you knock our religion just because you dont believe!!! going on and on how it is wrong to rape little boys and commit genocide..... I dont understand this has been done since god finish this little project that took him 7 DAYS......

sorry can't do it ne more... now i think i am christian esque if that makes since.... but i just cant get down with the current rendition of the good book... there are too many discrepancies in it and mistranslations. i think that it makes a good guide book on how to be a generic okay person (aside from murder rape and pillage) but is too far removed from the orginal author's to make ne real connection with the original religion.

shoot there was a group of people PEOPLE who got to pick and choose what went into the bible. what about the other books that didn't make the cut? that didn't reinforce that particular groups dogma? just because the church at that time decided that those books were wrong meant they were wrong? the church is run by humans = flawed species.

for me there are just too many discrepancies to believe and trust in the institution that we call church. just a few are listed in my rant in the previous paragraphs.

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join