It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why don't people believe in extraterrestrial life?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by wartooth420

Here watch this expose and find out the truth about UFOs

www.youtube.com...#

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

im mainly talking about the people who hear the terms "alien", "UFO", etc etc. and then automaticly start calling people fake, hoaxers, nut jobs. etc. before they even attempt to view the possible facts.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   

So you got some facts to show?

Meanwhile there's tons of evidence about military disinformation promoting alien propaganda

read Project Beta or Body Snatchers in the Desert or Messengers of Deception or the Stargate Conspiracy -- 4 great books on it.

Meanwhile watch this

www.youtube.com...#

UFOs are military craft.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
And in relation to Viper2 's post above, the Drake equation claims no such thing. I'm not even going to waste my time debating with you when you are so ill-informed, but try doing your research.

John

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by toreishi

hmmm i honestly never thought about that xD
that is a possibility.
now comes the questions, who exactly pays these people? nwo? illuminati? the extraterrestrials themselves? lol

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by uptheirons!

haha welcome to ats

and i see exactly what your saying. i thought about that distinction when i posted this thread. but i was in a hurry, so i left it out cuz i figured most people would get what i was pointing at(intelligent life)

although there is no proof for this, there is also no proof against it.

this is one thing i cannot stress enough to disbelievers.
we cant prove theyre there. but you cant prove theyre not there.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by wartooth420
reply to post by ignorant_ape

im mainly talking about the people who hear the terms "alien", "UFO", etc etc. and then automaticly start calling people fake, hoaxers, nut jobs. etc. before they even attempt to view the possible facts.
C'mon, pseudoskeptic Phillip Klass was pretty bad, trying to explain every UFO even if he had to make a force fit explanation that didn't really fit. But even he didn't start calling people hoaxer, nut jobs, etc out of the gate.

As MUFON says, most UFOs are just misidentified natural phenomena or manmade objects, which doesn't involve nutjobs, hoaxing, etc. And most people recognize this whether they are believers or skeptics, don't you agree?

The only difference I see is for the good unexplained cases, the skeptics can just admit they are unexplained, while some believers (and some pseudoskeptics too like Phillip Klass) feel they must be explained.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   

There is infinite probability of life out there in the Universe, perhaps even within our own solar system.

This argument grows more realistic everyday, science shows life can survive anywhere and everywhere. Even the most inhospitable places.

I often wonder, if we had been around for 45 million years -as the dinosaurs were- ...how advanced would our technology be by now? Im sure we'd be the ones visiting other galaxies, seeing how the little ants are doing today

Airease

[edit on 31-3-2010 by Airease]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

i wasnt adressing mainly disbelievers. i was adressing the ones who refer to believers as crazy and retarded.

and "we have no evidence"?
mkay.
so through out the years of human kind. through out nearly every ancient text, all the little signs that point to what could of been extraterrestrial life, doesnt matter?
what about before the world got into its ufo craze? were those every day average joes who claimed to experiance abductions imagining it all based on what their subconcious mind didnt(yes, DIDNT) see on tv?
becuase the main skeptics way of debunking abduction cases: "you had a nightmare based on that documentary you watched the other night discovery channel"

how about this. you find me facts and files that give logical proof that extraterrestrials dont exist. NOT little things signed by the whitehouse or cia saying "aliens and ufos dont exist. so faggettaboutit!"

in the meantime. i give you, the internet. filled with multiple accounts, files, photos, documents etc etc. that explains that alien life exists.
while some of the will be, and are hoaxes. most of them prolly arent.

[edit on 31-3-2010 by wartooth420]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
The scenario has been covered up by world gov'ts. But the "Aliens" are totally in control. They are really demons. They are the Ascended Masters/GFL. They steal souls.
The govts make the public believe others are 'crazy' when they speak of aliens. Satan's way of keeping the wrap on things until the great unveiling. The delusion is created for time for them to get their plans in order.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Millions

I share your sentiments. Given that there are billions of solar systems out there, the probability is very high that there is intelligent extraterrestrial life. I have a hard time believing extraterrestrial life has visited us because there is a lack of credible information.

For starters, even the staunchest believers must admit that there are many frauds, hoaxes, and crackpots in the believer tent. There is also little, if any, evidence of intelligent extraterrestrial life making contact with the US that is highly credible.

For example, you will not find peer reviewed academic journals written by scholars at reputable universities discussing contact with intelligent extraterrestrial life. You will not find official government documents of unquestionable authenticity discussing the topic. You will also not find reports from highly credible news organizations that have not been recanted discussing the topic.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Millions
And in relation to Viper2 's post above, the Drake equation claims no such thing. I'm not even going to waste my time debating with you when you are so ill-informed, but try doing your research.

John

Sorry, but you are very wrong. Read this link: www.setileague.org...

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Saint Exupery

I have seen no compelling evidence that intelligent aliens are now or ever have been visiting Earth. Blurry pictures and shaky videos of blobs & lights don't cut it. Even if the images are clear, the probability that they are either mistakenly identified or outright hoaxes is far greater than them being alien spacecraft. I know that UFOs exist - I simply do not see any reason to think they are extraterrestrial in origin.

Trust me, as someone who has seen 9 orbs from a distance of about 100 ft, we ARE being observed...

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
i've believed in them since i was about 6, before i even heard about UFO's, i just told myself there is more out there.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by sv_gravity 800
i've believed in them since i was about 6, before i even heard about UFO's, i just told myself there is more out there.

Of course there is more out there. To think otherwise is really just absurd. To question whether they have visited earth is somewhat reasonable, however there are just too many reported cases of UFOs and alien abductions to so easily dismiss it like many skeptics do.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Viper2

John

I have to go with millions on this one, but I can see where you got the number 10,000 from. The number 10,000 comes from one person guessing at the parameters for the drake equation, but the Drake equation does not predict 10,000. It will predict any number you want based on whatever guesses you plug in. But since the inputs are mostly if not all guesses, so also is the output a guess. So the number 10,000 doesn't really mean much.

Here are some more current estimates:

Current estimates of the parameters

N = 7 × 0.5 × 0.005 × 0.33 × 0.01 × 0.01 × 10000 = 0.006.

0.006 is a lot lower than 10,000, but both are just guesses.

The problem, of course, is that none of the terms can be known, and most cannot even be estimated. The only way to work the equation is to fill in with guesses. [...] As a result, the Drake equation can have any value from "billions and billions" to zero. An expression that can mean anything means nothing. Speaking precisely, the Drake equation is literally meaningless...

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by wartooth420

how about this. you find me facts and files that give logical proof that extraterrestrials dont exist.

How about, no, it doesn't work that way. You provide evidence to support your claim. Scientists have been, are, and will continue searching for extraterrestrial life in a multitude of ways. To date, no evidence has been discovered of life existing anywhere other than on this planet. It doesn't mean there isn't life elsewhere. It means there is no evidence of it whatsoever.

What you consider evidence is not evidence. Eyewitness accounts, ancient texts, files, photos and documents are subject to one's interpretation. Show me a lifeform. Show me a verifiable, undeniable spacecraft. Show me something that can be tested, held, touched, confirmed by scientific method. Until then, your claims and beliefs remain unsupported and namecalling others who fail to share your beliefs reveals an attitude typical of any zealot.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by the.lights

Originally posted by Saint Exupery

I have seen no compelling evidence that intelligent aliens are now or ever have been visiting Earth. Blurry pictures and shaky videos of blobs & lights don't cut it. Even if the images are clear, the probability that they are either mistakenly identified or outright hoaxes is far greater than them being alien spacecraft. I know that UFOs exist - I simply do not see any reason to think they are extraterrestrial in origin.

Trust me, as someone who has seen 9 orbs from a distance of about 100 ft, we ARE being observed...

Maybe you have seen compelling evidence. It's too bad that nothing of the sort has been shared with the rest of us via pictures or videos even though everyone has cameras everywhere nowadays, even in their cell phones.

So hopefully you can understand why the rest of us prefer to reserve judgment until we also see the evidence. And if you don't understand why we don't trust you, just look at how many UFOs are posted here by people who are convinced they have seen something from another world, only to be identified as mundane objects like airplanes, etc. Don't take it personally, there are just too many misidentifications by too many people to take one person's word with no pictures and no videos. And even if a sighting isn't misidentified, how do you know it's not something from Area 51? What convinces you it's ET?

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

Originally posted by Viper2

John

I have to go with millions on this one, but I can see where you got the number 10,000 from. The number 10,000 comes from one person guessing at the parameters for the drake equation, but the Drake equation does not predict 10,000. It will predict any number you want based on whatever guesses you plug in. But since the inputs are mostly if not all guesses, so also is the output a guess. So the number 10,000 doesn't really mean much.

Here are some more current estimates:

Current estimates of the parameters

N = 7 × 0.5 × 0.005 × 0.33 × 0.01 × 0.01 × 10000 = 0.006.

0.006 is a lot lower than 10,000, but both are just guesses.

The problem, of course, is that none of the terms can be known, and most cannot even be estimated. The only way to work the equation is to fill in with guesses. [...] As a result, the Drake equation can have any value from "billions and billions" to zero. An expression that can mean anything means nothing. Speaking precisely, the Drake equation is literally meaningless...

Somehow I think Dr. Drake's conclusion of 10,000 is far far far more legitimate than the conclusion you posted of .006 from some anonymous source.

Of course skeptics can plug in any nonsensical numbers into the equation in an attempt to support their bias.

[edit on 31-3-2010 by Viper2]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
The more I hear skeptics' "arguments", the more I think many of them are probably just antagonists.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join