It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can a Scientist Believe in the Resurrection?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by highlyoriginal
reply to post by troubleshooter

I think the concept of resurrection is a joke (no offense to any religious people here). When the biological body dies - it decomposes - once it decomposes it will never be the same ever again.

The early Christians were not saying this resurrection thing was a common event...
...they actually said that it only happened once...
...but was the beginning of something that would happen to all who believed it at the end of the age (coming soon to a planet near you).

It did not take modern science to come up with the idea that dead people decay...
...it has always been known that it what happened...
...but despite this obvious fact...
...over 500 people witnessed the extraordinary event...
...that one man who was very thoroughly crucified was alive again...
...in a new physical form.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   

So, what exactly is the point of all your ellipses? Do you think it makes you seem mysterious?

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by troubleshooter
The early Christians were not saying this resurrection thing was a common event...
...they actually said that it only happened once...

Tsk, tsk Bible Bob I thought you knew your scripture better than that.

Remember that dude, what was his name...Albert the time travelling hipster...nope...Reptilian Overlord Starchild...nope...Bilbo Bagg,...nope wrong book...Lazarus!!!!

That's the one.

So there were at least 2 occasions mentioned in that rewritten piece of propagandist nonsense were a person came back to life, was resurrected, became reanimated.

On another note altogether:

Why do you use so many full stops amidst your posts?

Did you seriously expect people to listen to at least 20 mins of your fapping material without any prior knowledge about what it was about?

-m0r

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by m0r1arty

Here is shorter account for you...

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by m0r1arty
reply to post by YeHUaH ELaHaYNU

I'd say the fact that the bible has been translated poorly on 3 separate occasions so the Western world can read it is more indicative of dissolved transmission than anything else.

Wasn't the shroud proven to be fake already?

-m0r

New Testament has so0 many extant texts that have so0 few differences, and the Dead Sea Scrolls are the Venerable texts complete in triplicate,

and as for the Shroud it is TWO Photographic Negative Holographic Images, Matching Front and Back in Anatomically Correct Proportions, minus the Bio-plastic date accurate and complete with Oak wood and locale Pollens!
-Besides that it is detailed enough for a Medical Autopsy!

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by m0r1arty

This one is just 2.23 minites...for you and generation X and Y...

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   

I watched it.

I'd like to retort with this short piece of footage:

Google Video Link

You need only watch the first third of it mind - I know your bones will be aching if you have to sit still for too long old timer

Feel free to come back to me after you've watched that.

-m0r

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by oliveoil
reply to post by highlyoriginal

I think the concept of resurrection is a joke (no offense to any religious people here). When the biological body dies - it decomposes - once it decomposes it will never be the same ever again.
Why you no good for nothing son of a BLEEP....No offense taken..LOL..
Tell me something ...what happens to the soul...spirit, when the physical body dies?

I believe the consciousness within us all is connected to One consciousness "the all knowing" if you will - our consciousness keeps growing, once we die we will be reincarnated - not resurrected (although I can see how some people *may* get the two confused...).

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Thanks for everyone's reflections.

The resurrection accounts are notable for the absence of two things...
...the lack of reflection in the accounts to the Old Testament manuscripts...
...and the lack of discussion of meaning or consequences of the event.

Historically this lends weight to the validity of the circumstances described...
...that the writers are simply recording an event with no precedent...
...and yet too new for meaningful reflection.

Happy Passover/Easter.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Hey!
What about a digital resurrection?
"Such a procedure would, in effect, put the patient into a long dreamless sleep where they can wait out the decades or centuries necessary for the development of the more advanced technology required to revive them"
www.brainpreservation.org...
That is from Ken Heyworth, he wants to deconstruct the brain so it can be digitally stored.

And, as far as resurrection in the bible, I count 9
First the prophet Elijah raised a boy 1 Kings 17:17-24
Then Elisha performed this miracle 2 times 2 Kings 4:32-37 2 Kings 13:20-21
Of course Jesus performed three, a boy, a girl, and Lazarus Luke 7:11-15, Luke 8:49-56, John 11:38-44
Plus his resurection.
Paul performed one Acts 20:6-12
As did Peter Acts 9:36-43
Thats 9

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by highlyoriginal

Originally posted by oliveoil
reply to post by highlyoriginal

Why you no good for nothing son of a BLEEP....No offense taken..LOL..
Tell me something ...what happens to the soul...spirit, when the physical body dies?

I believe the consciousness within us all is connected to One consciousness "the all knowing" if you will - our consciousness keeps growing, once we die we will be reincarnated - not resurrected (although I can see how some people *may* get the two confused...).

I think maybe you may be a little confused with the terms consciousness and intelligence (all knowing). Ones intelligence has nothing to do with being in a state of existence. How can ones consciousness "grow". You either exist or you do not.No ifs ands or butts about it!

[edit on 31-3-2010 by oliveoil]

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcouncil=wisdom
And, as far as resurrection in the bible, I count 9
First the prophet Elijah raised a boy 1 Kings 17:17-24
Then Elisha performed this miracle 2 times 2 Kings 4:32-37 2 Kings 13:20-21
Of course Jesus performed three, a boy, a girl, and Lazarus Luke 7:11-15, Luke 8:49-56, John 11:38-44
Plus his resurection.
Paul performed one Acts 20:6-12
As did Peter Acts 9:36-43
Thats 9

Eight of these resurrections were a return to fleshly life...
...each would have died again...
...but Jesus died, went through death to become a transphysical being...
...a transphysical form all believers will receive at the end of the age.

"Jesus said...I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: 26 And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die." John 11:25-26

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   

So if I'm not mistaken, the Jews (well some of them, I know the pharisees did, but the saducees didn't-that is why they were sad u see) held fast to a hope of earthly ressurection and these first 8 resurections were a foreshadowing of the ressurection to paradise, albeit only as a shadow of the promise as they were not ressurections to perfection.

And that is still the hope of the 'other sheep', the 'great crowd', those that will be resurected to judgement. (my bible study has led me to believe this infers a resurection to the opportunity of knowing the truth, without satan's influence as he will be abyssed, and the world will no longer be in his control-then we will have a second chance, being made perfect, to chose to obey God or not, for that decision will be judged when Satan is released from the abyss to attempt to draw men away from God one last time, at the end of the thousand years)
Jesus, being the King, highest of the elders, will rule along with his 'little flock' aka spiritual isreal from above the earth. His resurection and subsequent ascension was as you said a completely new thing indeed, and made clear to his disciples what was in store for them.

But, this conversation has led off track indeed. So I'll put my other two cents into it, YES.
Many scientits are men with faith, the only people who deny that, either don't know any scientists, or have anti-faith blinders on.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join