It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama staffer wanting infiltration of conspiracy theorists!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   

In a 2008 academic paper, President Barack Obama's appointee to head the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs advocated "cognitive infiltration" of groups that advocate "conspiracy theories" like the ones surrounding 9/11.

Cass Sunstein, a Harvard law professor, co-wrote an academic article entitled "Conspiracy Theories: Causes and Cures," in which he argued that the government should stealthily infiltrate groups that pose alternative theories on historical events via "chat rooms, online social networks, or even real-space groups and attempt to undermine" those groups.

Rest is here: rawstory.com...

This really raises some important issues...

1) Could lead to increased censorship

2) Could lead to the development of laws, fines, punishments for simply exercising free speech

3) The whole legal slippery slope this would cause....

[edit on 30-3-2010 by Gazrok]

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Have you read my thread? It ties into this thread perfectly could you please post a link on it so people can also see your thread it is important and I think we see it for every big decision. Thank you for this post it validates mine.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
You doubt that governments (or at least certain agencies) do not use/create/steer conspiracy theories? It happened throughout the history. So this professor is a little late in his "incredible" discovery.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Subjective Truth

I haven't read it, please post the link...
(as now I'm curious)...

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
They've probably been doing this very thing all along. It would only seem to make sense to me. I wouldn't be surprised if someone once posted a theory of a conspiracy, and they took it and ran with it just for further deflection.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Sunstein "wants to hold blogs and web hosting services accountable for the remarks of commenters on websites while altering libel laws to make it easier to sue for spreading 'rumors,'" wrote Ed Lasky at American Thinker.

Okay, that's the most asinine thing I've read today. It just goes to show you that the stupid people have deeply infiltrated the government.

Here, let me start a rumor: Cass Sunstein is a little cry baby that runs to his mommy when others call him a buffoon.
"Make them stop with the rumors, mommy, make them shut their mouths before everyone finds out what an idiot I am. Whaaa, make them stop, mommy, lets sue them all."

Hey, lets sue all the politicians that said the economy would be back on track next year 3 years ago. I'm sure that rumor cost a lot of people who fell for that lie, that rumor, that b.s.

Politicians are the ones that should be sued for all the rumors and lies they tell. They should all be tossed into prison for starting a war based upon their own rumors and lies.

Gawd, I tell you, them ass holes in D.C. are out of control with too much power. Now they want to regulate our mouths?

Oh man, I predict unprecedented voter turnout next November! Scary too that such morons are in charge of the hen house.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Another link to this Story

I think this is definitely a relevant topic to consider. The use of the term "crippled epistimology" is completely fallacious as a relative application to media propagation of the past (newspaper/evening network news/non-interactive)...and suggests to me that there is an agenda instead of a genuine look at the status of communication in today's society.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
My thread is titled----Am I seeing things and it is the American political section I have not figured out how to insert links from inside ATS yet but I am going to read up on it today.

Your thread ties into it perfect and show intent. Mine was based on personal opinion. Facts speak much louder than personal truth because personal truth is subjective the facts are not.

If you could read my post and if you feel it is OK to provide a link I would appreciate it thank you.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   

I think the thread you are referencing is perhaps a query into the application of what Sunstein was talking about...Am I just seeing things?

(Click quote on my post to look at the coding of a link.)

While I think that there is indeed going to be efforts along these lines, there is alot to be said about political affiliations doing the same thing. Most efforts may not be government in origin (though it is arguable that some movements may have originated from sources), rather once a political entity/movement is established, it takes little coercion/provacation for like minded individuals to perpetuate the "propaganda". Encouraging an empassioned populace takes little effort and really goes a long way into obsfucating accountability...

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Hello,
Is this the one?
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Glad to help, if I did...

ETA; slow me-me slow

[edit on (3/30/1010 by loveguy]

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Divinorumus

And the American government strikes another blow in the name of liberty, freedom and right of free speech of the American people! Yaayyy!

Oops..

Couldn't be a Zionist, worried about the greater awareness and the waking up of us little people could he?

Just wondering.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
This could backfire on them.

The outsider views conspiracy websites and such as little more than lunatic mindsets that have little grasp on reality. Getting more and more involvement from government and simple curiousity seekers may end up bringing more to the discussions than intended.

It might create a whole new wave of whistleblowers as they start investigating some of the stuff they read on places like this.

I personally dont think the feds give a rats arse about places like ATS however, as this is not a place where people are coming to plan out overthrowing governments or whatnot...and...if a fed was anonymously monitering the discussions...they might also be tasked with putting real information in here verses allow false and misleading information to seed for long. If they are making stuff up, we will tear their arguments apart, but if they are contributing verifiable proof of the governments side, then great.

Finally, I dont think they will do this...they may hint of it, and discuss it, and then let the fringe people assume its done and every other person on a conspiracy website is a internet cop...and no more conspiracy to overthrow senarios considering you cant trust the person your yacking to isn't a fed.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Subjective Truth
Have you read my thread? It ties into this thread perfectly could you please post a link on it so people can also see your thread it is important and I think we see it for every big decision. Thank you for this post it validates mine.

I have posted this link onto your thread for you.

Maybe Cass wants Obama charged with spreading rumours of transparency among other things.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by loveguy

Yes thank you and I do agree both sides use it. That is why we need to get rid of sides. TPTB dont have sides why should we?

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cytokine_Strom

Originally posted by Subjective Truth

I have posted this link onto your thread for you.

Maybe Cass wants Obama charged with spreading rumours of transparency among other things.

Thank you!!! This thread this OP has posted is very important and show intent. We need to see the lies for what they are.

And thank you again to the OP for finding this story.
If I had more than one flag to give it would be yours.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Thanks, but I was here long before flags, points, stars, etc. I'm happy just to spread the info.

I wonder just how much this administration is looking to police the web?

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   
There are several threads on this:

I have noticed, though, that since the health care bill passed, a hearty resurgence of anti-Obama subjects are sprinkling the MSM and Internet discussion boards. Not anything NEW, but the old ones are coming in pretty strong and they are being discussed all over again. Strange, huh?

And your story is dated Jan 13.

[edit on 3/31/2010 by Benevolent Heretic]

top topics

join