It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Tote Machine Guns On NYC Subways

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Police Tote Machine Guns On NYC Subways

www.nypost.com

Stand clear of the submachine guns.

In an unusual move, a heavily armed NYPD security battalion with enough firepower to wipe out Downtown Brooklyn descended onto the city's subway trains yesterday in response to suicide bombings in Russia that killed dozens of passengers in Moscow's subway.

Bleary-eyed New Yorkers began their work weeks with a morning rush hour that featured city cops in full military gear, including helmets, goggles, body armor, sidearms and M16 assault rifles.

The underground arsenal startled sleepy straphangers, many of whom wondered whether the extra security w
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
The headline title is from drudge report, it seems more fitting then the title the actual article is given, sorry if that's off policy, please feel free to edit title mods.

How crazy is this? since when do crimes in other country's amp up police forces in the US? why didn't this happen after the London bombings back in 05 if its so necessary.

I have a feeling this wont stay in NYC, start preparing your psyche to see machine gun carrying cops everywhere.

www.nypost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Police state comes to mind.
Welcome to the new normal.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I was wondering about this too.

What does the bombing in Moscow have to do with New York security?

I agree it is conditioning, prepping for full time, nationwide police paramilitary presence.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
whenever there is an attack elsewhere, the NYPD, the Hercules and other such crews make a show of force. To deter copycats, to calm the frightened masses etc.

No big dieal. There's been machine gun toting dudes roaming the city since shortly after 9/11. not much has changed, other than they report about it so the rest of the country knows we are on alert

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

oh wow so its all ready common practice? i had no idea.

makes me glad i live in the middle of nowhere.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
As a security measure, imagine what would be said if increased security didn't happen in light of the moscow attacks? People are going to have an issue with it whether or not action is taken.

It can't come as a surprise that police has assualt rifles, because ever since the LA shootout, cops have had a need for such hardware.

Unless your a chechen involved in international terrorism, really is no worries.

Besides, would you rather have no one do any thing about nothing. Or at least have people care enough, to make an effort to show they are trying?

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Alaskan Man

yup. they roam the city. constantly. they just stepped up their presence in the subways due to yesterday's attack.

they're very visible, always holding drills in higher target risk areas, like across the street from my office.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Doesn't this make everyone feel so much safer?

Aren't we glad we have men with machine guns walking around the subway, randomly searching us?

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

Feel free to tell us how you would handle the situation.

It seems to be a damned if they do and damned if they don't situation.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Okay other than ADVISOR, everyone is saying machine-gun which is wrong. They are carrying assualt rife not machine guns. AND before anybody jumps on me for that correction just ask yourself what the term machine gun brings to mind. All your doing is letting ignorance cloud your thinking and falling for propaganda!
Now as for the increased visibility, well nothing happens in a vacuum. Maybe our "intelligence" agencies know something we don't? Even though on this site we argue about the agendas behind everything, if nothing was done and something happened... Especially after the raid earlier this week. Better safe then sorry.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

I wouldn't deploy men with machine guns to the subways/trains.

You'd never go through a body scanner, or be searched without a warrant (I mean a warrant circa 1999).

But I don't run the world, so you're stuck with the subway gunmen and unwarranted searches - and hey, maybe you'll feel safer this way.

Feel free to tell us how you would handle the situation.

[edit on 31-3-2010 by Exuberant1]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   
It is terribly obvious that assault rifles equals increased security. Everyone knows that. What suicide bomber in their right mind would blow themselves up with an assault rifle around?

Increased presence of security forces is part of any terrorist/guerilla agenda. They are giving in to fear.

[edit on 31-3-2010 by liquidself]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by hangedman13

technically your right, i guess it should say fully automatic assault rifle, which is just as deadly, only more accurate.

so they have to reload more often, still a bit different then they're typical 7 shot hand gun carried.

why is it that people love to throw around the world ignorant/ignorance when they dont agree with something?

i find it..... ignorant

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 02:39 AM
link   
This reminds me of the time we (in the UK) set our Armour around Heathrow Airport

Linky

More show for the public than an effective deterrent.

new topics

top topics

join