It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some Whale species rebounding, commission weighs loosening of hunting ban!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
article:

"Save the Whales!" One of the earliest slogans of the environmental movement, it galvanized a generation of conservationists. Awe-inspiring behemoths that breached the ocean's waves and could communicate with one another underwater, whales inspired public support in a way endangered snail darters and obscure plants never could. And to a significant extent, the campaign worked: A quarter-century after the first anti-hunting regulations were approved, several whale populations have stabilized and a few seem to be rebounding. Now, in light of that comeback, delegates from around the world will decide in the coming weeks if they should condone commercial hunts once more. The International Whaling Commission will consider a controversial plan seeking a truce in the battle that has raged since a global whaling ban took effect in 1986.

Source: www.washingtonpost.com...

Watch out now. The Enviros will be on the war path yet again. The one Seinfeld episode comes to mind-when the executive from NBC quits his job, joins Green Peace after Elaine jolts him, and he goes off to save the whales.

I'm not saying lets hunt them all down again but we have to be able to look at it realistically. I don't know what to think-honestly, help me out. educate me on the aspects of this story-good or bad.

For the record, i am going whale watching at the Bay of Fundy Canada in August for the 2nd time. I like them. I can't think of any good reasons to kill them off again. Anyone?

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

So... What will they be hunted for exactly? Their meat isn't good - the Japanese use it for pet food, and the polar people use it because it's about the only protein they get at the time. Corsets are out of style so we don't need whalebone. With electricity, whale oil is similarly useless.

It would seem that most people who would want to hunt whales wants to do it just to say they did it. Which is ridiculous. The critters have no commercial value these days.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Funny, I live about 20 min from a B of F whale watching business. Where about are you going. As for whale hunting, it's a thin line. They maybe on the rebound now but with all the polution and shipping lanes, I dont think it will last very long.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Grossac

Campobello Island. I just sent you a U2U. Get back to me when you get a chance.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Just as I read this post, went on infowars and found a massive die off of baby whales. Check it out here

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Grossac

Dam. well there you go. The perfect arguement not to do whale hunting again. Still too unstable out there.

Great find.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

Pet food? Really? I seem to recall seeing that there is a decent sized market for human consumption. Not nearly as large of a market since the public outcry around the world of eating whale however. There are still people that do consume it however, the sushi shop in CA that got in trouble recently springs to mind. As far as taste, have you ever eaten it? Tastes gamey from what I understand. Heck reading an article from this month shows that the japanese are still a decent sized market for human consumption.

Japanese schools are currently trying to figure out a way to get children to eat the meat for lunch, possibly turning to whale burgers or fish stick-style preparations. But some Japanese traditionalists still enjoy gamey, unadorned strips of whale meat sashimi.

More info here

top topics

join