It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do supernatural 'spirits' really exist?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I am an Agnostic, actually and Agnostic Atheist but one thing continues to haunt me(pun intended). It is the thought of ghosts, spirits, demons, etc... No matter how much of a non-believer I am I am still scared of these things. I have saw dozens if not over 100 ghost movies and obviously most are fake, but the ones that actually have live crews there inspecting paranormal studies and show it on tv I can't help but think they are real. Then add to that when people say "I repent you in the name of the father, the son and the holy ghost" if they are actually real like it appears, they are scared of that saying.

Can anyone help me out? Are ghosts/spirits/demons real? and if so then why would they respond to "I repent you in the name of the father, the son and the holy spirit"?

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Yes they are real, yes they exist, I can guarantee you that much. I have lots of personal experience with this type of things.

The phrase used is not the only phrase they respond to. They will respond to almost anything, including simply "get out". The reason is they are afraid of us.

The negative entities exist at a lower astral level (phase) than we humans do thus they have to heed our words. It is actually because that we do not know about them, that we fear them. There is no need to fear them.

Many so called haunting (of people) occur because they feed on the fear of the people they haunt. Anyone can send them on their way provided he does not fear them.

There are some haunting that cannot be easily dispelled or that is too strong, but these types of hauntings are not done by ghosts, not directly anyway. These are done by someone with estoric knowledge either creating a negative entity or giving more power to a ghost to go haunt someone. These are the only type worth being afraid of.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
The term 'holy ghost' is used by some fundamentalist Christian groups as a euphemism for the third entity in the Triune God concept. IE God the Father, Jesus the Son/Human, and the Holy Spirit or non-physical essence of the Trinity.

In my opinion the word 'ghost' was substituted in there sometime and the meaning has been corrupted like so many other religious terms.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
The Urantia Book does a pretty good job of explaining the "Holy Spirit"

Urantia

Basically it is an entity that bridges the gap between the spiritual world of God and the material world of mankind.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Well, you're getting into some pretty heavy material here by asking the questions that you do, so, I'll do my best to give you as in-depth of an answer as I can coming from my own experiences and studies.

A spirit, ghost, demon, angel, and elemental are all references to different beings inhabiting our world, and any number of parallel worlds above, below and beside our own. Here is how they work:

----------

A ghost is what remains of a human being and it's surroundings once it has died and passed on. There are several types of ghosts present in our world.

An orb is composed of weak left-over emotional energy.

A specter is a powerful emotional remnant that causes the ghost to take on some semblance of a human form. These are also sometimes called apparitions.

A portent is a sometimes physical, sometimes symbolical phenomenon foretelling the future. If a ghost comes as a portent it will usually include very symbolic things: blood, empty feeling, glittering gold, etc that relate to the omen or prophecy it is trying to deliver.

A phantom is a shapeless mass of shadow and emotion that results when some kind of malevolent activity has occurred on the premise. These types of ghosts can feed off of fear, cause bodily harm, and are sometimes referred to as shadow people in various places on these boards.

In other countries you have something called a hungry ghost which comes from the Orient. These ghosts are deceased ancestors who have been scorned or ex-communicated from the family name. They are angry, bitter beings who seek vengeance and harm.

In Rome there are Echo ghosts. These are apparitions caught in a repetitive action. They also permeate the Americas, such as Ladies in White, ghost hitchhikers and phantom axe murderers. All of them share one trait: they are forever caught in a loop, reliving their death over and over and over again.

----------

A Spirit is a different matter. Spirits are non-corporeal elements of the universe. They are electricity, radiation, fire, water, air, wood, wind and more. Spirits are beings present in nature that permeate all areas of worship and existence. They stretch from insignificant tricksters (like Faeries and Leprechauns, all the way up to deities like Enkidu from Babylon).

A common type of spirit is the elemental, these are formless shapes embodying metaphysical elements of the Universe. Fire, water, earth and air if you practice Western esoteric beliefs; fire, water, wood, metal, wind if you practice Oriental esoteric beliefs. They exist to serve any human being who had learned the method for commanding and calling upon them. These people are called by various titles: Magus, Witch, Shaman, Magician, and on.

Another type of spirit is the Totem, a type of animal guide that follows a human for their whole life. Traits and techniques of the animals represent the human's emotional and physical attributes. Totems can be a single animal like a Hawk, or diverse animals like a combination between a Gorilla and a Lion. The totem animal, or animal guide, is always friendly and beneficial to it's host though.

There are many other types of spirits, too many to fully list in this thread.

----------

A demon is a bit more tricky to classify. There are many, many kinds of demons which can be encountered by a spiritually open person, such as:

The Daimon which is the Greek equivalent of the spirit guide or animal totem above. The Daimon represented a persons shadow, always following them and possessing a solid, unwavering view of their traits, strengths and weaknesses. Daimons were friendly and very seldom struck out in a negative fashion against anyone.

The Fallen Angel class of demons come from monotheistic lore. They represent spiritual beings, usually Angels, who have disobeyed the Divine Creators will and now must suffer an eternity out of said Creator's presence. In their anger and frustration they torment us, the Creator's beloved creations. Lucifer, Beelzebub, Mamon, Satan, Leviathan and others fall into this category. Islam, Judaism, Christianity, Hinduism and even Babylon and Egypt possess demons like these, who have disobeyed the commands of the Creator, or Creators.

A Goetic Demon is a being representing a negative trait of the human archetype. They are found throughout Occult lore. Such books as the Goetia, Key of Solomon, book of Honorious and more all contain methods for finding, invoking and commanding these beings to do your bidding. They do not come from any particular scripture, instead they represent desires, lusts and angers or loves of a time period. The desire to be able to see the future, cause earthquakes, excite into love, bring wrath on your enemies, find riches and more were all embodied in these beings who represent the darker, seedier side of humanity.

Foreign demons come in many shapes and forms. Tricksters, Banshees, vampyres, shape-shifters, Rakshasa, serpents and more. They all represent dangerous and vile things that can hurt, corrupt, harm or destroy a human. A snake's venom is poisonous, so a culture fears that a giant serpent is going to swallow them whole. Fire burns us, so while a god commands and gives us fire, evil fire beings seek to cause the fire to harm us. So on and so forth. If it scares us, a demonic and beast-like being was once thought to be commanding it.

----------

Angels follow the exact opposite of demons. They obeyed the Creator, defend mankind, grant us gifts we need as opposed to desire. They don't mislead us, they heal us, protect us and teach us arts necessary for survival. Take the demon classifications, and reverse what is done in each and you have a type of angelic beings.

----------

I am running out of space, so I will explain the Christian exorcism and other various methods for battling and commanding these beings in a separate, second post.

Hope this one has been helpful!

~ Wandering Scribe

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by kaleshchand
Yes they are real, yes they exist, I can guarantee you that much. I have lots of personal experience with this type of things.

And we are supposed to believe you? With absolutely no proof? What exactly does "your guarantee" mean? Will you give me something (i.e dollars) If I go on a hunt and find absolutely no proof? And what kind of experience do you have? Do you have documented proof of your experience ? (besides movies and TV)?

Deny ignorance and speak with data!

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
The rite that you referenced in your original post is called the Rituale Romanum, and it is a Latin rite of Exorcism that can only be performed by a trained Exorcist. During the rite the Exorcist represents the authority of the Lord God, His son Christ Jesus, and their ethereal counterpart the Holy Ghost. This is the most common Western practice for curing someone of a demonic of spiritual being. However it is not the only one, nor is it the most effective.

The Rituale Romanum is powerful only against evil demons found in Christian scriptures (Old and New testament and various non-canonical scriptures). Lucifer, Satan, Astaroth, Asmodeus, Belial, Leviathan, Mamon and other names you've probably seen over and over again in movies will be effected by a Papal priest who has undergone exorcism training and can now perform the rite.

----------

The Theosophical, Gnostic and Hermetical occultists have a separate rite for cleansing, banishing and protecting their loved ones from malevolent beings. It is called the Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram. It's effectiveness includes fallen angels, Goetic demons, malignant spirits, Underworld deities, hungry and or mischievous ghosts and more.

The rite was created and practiced by fraternities who mixed Buddhism, Hinduism, paganism, Christianity, Judaism and other Mystery Cult rites together. Therefore the rite is effective against beings from all of those faiths and religions. Making it significantly more effective than a Rituale Romanum.

----------

Finally, all manner of superstitious methods exist for warding and getting rid of these beings. In the Caribbean the color blue wards negative energy; blue bottles are left on doorsteps to ward bad ghost and negative spirits. Running water, in many Eastern cultures, is an effective barrier against ghosts as they cannot cross it.

Natural elements, like Silver, Salt and Iron are effective against harming and even killing these beings. Iron because it comes from both the center of our planet and the deepest reaches of space is said to be able to destroy anything between it's two existence points.

Salt cleans wounds, kills nasty bugs and generally causes all kinds of pain that somehow heals humans. Therefore it is used to "heal" a ghost or spirit so that it no longer remains here among the living but can pass on to the next life.

Silver is diverse, you'll have to look up the myriad meanings behind silver's effectiveness on your own, sorry.

----------

Again, I haven't covered everything, there are so many practices done in so many countries that I couldn't possibly list them all in one place. Happy searching to you though, and I hope this has helped you along with my previous post.

~ Wandering Scribe

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ArcAngel

Let's not be so negative, ArcAngel. Kaleshchand might only have his or her own personal experience to go off of. However, not all personal testimony is automatically false. Anomalous events occur all the time to all kinds of people - and not every event has a scientific and rational explanation.

Keep an open mind, skepticism is not about debunking everything, it's about encouraging the most substantial evidence for anything to be brought to light. Saying it's all fake won't do that, it will only chase away people with legitimate evidence. Let the evidence be placed on the table before you start debunking everything.

Denying ignorance is all about investing in all the facts, however obscure or "out there" they may be.

~ Scribe

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Misoir, I can tell you this, the experiment that I conducted (link in my signature) sets my belief of the aforementioned in stone now. There is more to this and what comes after than just an astronomical fluke of elemental soup set back just perfectly from the sun as to harbor life. My view has changed significantly in such a short time frame after what I heard & felt for that matter.

I look at it like this now, where before I somewhat shared your belief. I ask anyone, what's it going to hurt if I allow myself to believe in something? If I were to be wrong about a hereafter when we die and there was nothing, as an Atheist or as a man of Faith, it wouldn't matter anyway. Reverse it, and assuming everything is true, well then what... I can just see a non-believers conversation now "well Jesus, you see, what had happened was....".

Just my view.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArcAngel

Originally posted by kaleshchand

And we are supposed to believe you? With absolutely no proof? What exactly does "your guarantee" mean? Will you give me something (i.e dollars) If I go on a hunt and find absolutely no proof? And what kind of experience do you have? Do you have documented proof of your experience ? (besides movies and TV)?

Deny ignorance and speak with data!

I have nothing expect my personal experience. My father is a priest and I often go with him when he goes to see some of the more interesting events. Believe me when you are sitting in someone's house and the furniture starts flying about, you don't need any more prove. All my life I have experienced many such things.

The place we are currently living used to be ancient graveyard, but was redeveloped. One person was making his house a few blocks away, he had put down the posts and nailed the timber for the floor. In the morning he came to find all the timber taken out and neatly stacked, thinking it had been someone's prank, he did it all over again and the next night same thing happened. so on the third day he decided to stay the night. Armed with a cane knife he sat on the floor he had just nailed, at about 11pm he heard noise of the timber being taken out, he got up ready to face whoever it was, he saw the timber bieng lifted into the air and put down where it had been staked the previous nights. However he could not see anything lifting said timber, it was as if it was levitating, he ran so fast from there. He did not even come back to get his timber. A few weeks later he met my dad in town and asked him to take the timber and posts and keep it if he wanted, my dad offered to bring the timber and stuff to him, but he flat out refused. The timber was all new and had cost over $2000.

There are unlimited events that I have seen personally with my own eyes. That said no I will not give you money or stuff, and yes you are supposed to believe me, as I have a lifetime of experience. That said do not expect me to provide videos or stuff of these, as video cameras /digital cameras cost insane amounts here.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
If I don't believe in you are you real? Reality is a perception. Sounds cheezy but if someone isn't open to the paranormal at all then spirits will not be real to them. If you are receptive and you can percieve them then they are quite real.

As far as the christian commands, I disagree with the verbage, but the message is correct. Most demons predate cristianity or any religion. So why would a catholic prayer do any better than the islaamic version or the jewish versions of excorcisms? It won't. It's the process. And the process is based on principals that predate modern religions. The repetition coupled with the possessed persons belief in the act are where the true power lies.

Someone says demons fear humanity. Balderdash. In the excorcisms(catholic) I've witnessed the demon fears the ritual not those performing it. And I don't even consider it fear as much as aggravation from being tossed out of a perfectly good body.

Just what is an agnostic atheist? I'm a recovering catholic who went agnostic. Agnostic in the vague sense that I believe in a creationary force which doesn't really assume a role in our day to day life.

Most of what you see on the tv shows is garbage. I wouldn't put much stock in it. You can open yourself up and see just how real they are, but sometimes when you open a door you can't close it.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrJay1975
If I don't believe in you are you real? Reality is a perception. Sounds cheezy but if someone isn't open to the paranormal at all then spirits will not be real to them. If you are receptive and you can percieve them then they are quite real.

whether you believe in me or not I am real. Whether you believe in spirits or not, they are real. Many non-believers quickly turned into believers after coming face to face with a spirit (ghost) or having briefcases and the like flying about infront of their eyes.

I am the one who said demons fear humanity, and I say it from experience. Yes there are demons who do not fear humanity (or much for that matter) but those ones have been given more than normal powers by some human either intentionally or otherwise. This can be done by someone practising black magic, wicca or other stuff like it. It can even be done unknowingly by the person possessed by opening themselves up in the wrong way that results in an invite.

Besides a spirit or ghost cannot posses someone without being given powers either by the person themselves or by another human. So yeah the excorcisms you witness would be excorsisms of this kind of spirits with extra power.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by kaleshchand

While I agree with your messages of "they exist with or without your belief" I have to disagree that black magic or Wicca can give these beings additional powers.

It is a sign of an inexperienced magician, or witch if the ideas of black-gray-white magic still hold sway over you. Magic has no color or polarity. The human performing the magic is where the polarity comes from. As it is with morality, magic is also subjective.

Wicca is a nature-friendly neo-pagan movement geared towards self-enlightenment and ultimate unity with an ever-moving spiritual whole that permeates the Universe. A member of Wicca by definition does not practice magic of any kind.

Someone who claims they are a witch - meaning someone who practices witchcraft, or a number of other magical beliefs - does not automatically make them a member of Wicca. Wicca is about moon rituals, sun-worship, human unity, and festivals revolving around the 8-spoke wheel of the year.

Now, there are some members of Wicca who do practice magic and are therefore a Wicca witch. However, not all witches are Wicca, and not all Wicca are witches.

Concerning magic empowering these beings, that's not how it works anywhere outside of Hollywood. In real spiritual magical practices the magic is always used to weaken the entities enough so that the practicing magician can control them. It never infuses the being with more power.

new topics

top topics

join