It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats your favorite Stephen King book?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I'd have to agree with most that were mentioned here already, but yes, I also enjoyed the Cell, and it's probably one of the more recent ones I've read by him (Duma Key was ok, and took place in my neck of the woods..but eh....)...

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   
(except for number one) In no paticular order:

1- The Dark Tower series

The Stand

The Long Walk

Salem's Lot

Needful Things

Faithful: Two Diehard Boston Red Sox Fans Chronicle the Historic 2004 Season*

-----------------

* I grew up in Mass., grew up loving King,... couldn't not love that book.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I'm getting close to finishing 'Under the Dome' and the storytelling is superb. That's the thing with King is you just never know how he's going to wrap it all up.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I don't read King's books myself, but not two days ago my 22 yr old son bummed some $$$ off of me so that he could purchase the final book in the Dark Tower series. He raves about it. He said the series contains every element that he finds enjoyable in a recreational read.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
The Dark Tower series was epic, I don't think there could have been a better ending to it either, I laughed when I finished it. Stephen couldn't have ended any better.

My fave's, and there is so many. The Gunslinger, probably my favorite. "The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed." Best opening line to a book ever.
Eyes of the Dragon: Very mystical for a King book.
The Talisman and Black House: Both painted such a vivid picture to the story.
Lisey's Story: For some reason this book touched a soft spot in me.
The Stand: Just an epic story that never gets old.
Hearts in Atlantis: Such a good story that was completely ruined by the movie.

Absolutely love how he puts the Dark Tower into so many of his books. The man in black shows up all the time, and causes you to stop half the time, and relive another King book.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
My all time favorite Stephen King book is The Stand. The best line was when mother Abigail was telling Nick that God wanted him to do something. He wrote her a note saying he didn't believe in God.
She was laughing and told him it was okay if he didn't believe in God because God believed in him. That had such an impact on me because of my own search for what/who God is. Anyway, that one part really reasonated with me.

My other favorites would be The Shining, Pet Cemetary and Salems Lot.
Under the Dome was pretty good as well.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I must say I like all Stephen King novels - I think my all over favorite was "It" and then "Cujoe" (that dog scared me to death).

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
The Stand is a classic, but no one has mentioned the Shawshank Redemption.

"Andy Dufresne: You know what the Mexicans say about the Pacific?
Red: No.
Andy Dufresne: They say it has no memory. That's where I want to live the rest of my life. A warm place with no memory. "

King is a one of the best story tellers of all time!

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I loved The Long Walk, not one of his more famous titles, but really an amazing short story. I highly recommend it.

The Eyes of the Dragon was like no other King book, more of a fantasy but very good.

Tommyknockers and It were great as well as the Stand, all classics.

There was another book that I cant remember the name of, it was the one where the man and woman are in the cabin and she gets tied up, and the man has a heart attack during sex and dies, and she is forced to lay there for days with nobody around to help. Was a very intense book.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackOps719

There was another book that I cant remember the name of, it was the one where the man and woman are in the cabin and she gets tied up, and the man has a heart attack during sex and dies, and she is forced to lay there for days with nobody around to help. Was a very intense book.

Was that "Geralds Game"????

Favourites of mine...The Stand, Gunslinger Series, The Long Walk, The Tommyknockers, Rage

But really....I love them all!!

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   
The long walk
the running man
the stand
geralds game
insomnia
Dolores claybourne
rose madder
bag of bones
Desperation

no particular order

maybe I should have said 'all'

MM

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by eternal_vigilance

Favourites of mine...The Stand, Gunslinger Series, The Long Walk, The Tommyknockers, Rage

Bingo...thats the one. Gerald's Game.

The part with the shadowy figure who kept creeping in the room, and the wild dogs.

Terrifying.

Hearts In Atlantis was also suprisingly good book, way better than the film. I really liked Needful Things as well.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by eternal_vigilance

If you still own Rage make sure you hold onto it!! King refused to ever put it into print again because of the content, and it will be worth quite abit.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
My Fav King books:

The Stand
The Talisman
It
The Shining
Hearts In Atlantis

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by strangefires

Probably because it was a short story and not a novel. Not to say it's not a good one, because it definitely is my favorite King short story, ever; I just wish he had expended on it and turned it into a novella at the least.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by lightseeker

When Rage was first released it was a single novel. King took it out of print because after its release there were numerous school shootings that resembled the novels plot. There is more info here: Info

The first edition novel is worth around a hundred dollars depending on condition. I wish I had kept mine from years ago. Oh well..

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Hands down the Dark Tower Series

I have worked my way through 4 of them and I am really looking forward to when I have the time to finish the series...

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by strangefires

Thasnks for the info but I was referring to The Shawshank Redemption which was originally published as a short story, "Rita Hayworth and The Shawshank Redemption".

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I love King but I've moved on to Koontz

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I love both! Have you read From the Corner of His Eye? My all-time Koontz favorite!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join