It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LHC makes first step towards discovering the "God-particle"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

Today, on March 30th, the first step towards discovering the Higgs Particle was made, often refered to as the God Particle no less, for today the LHC made it's first successful particle collision. Using as much as seven trillion electronvolts (TeV) of energy they smashed together protons at extreme speeds and energies, marking the first step towards understanding things like what mass and gravity really is, in effect closing in to explain the physics behind our mathmatical models explaining why for instance E=mc^2 really works.... Great work, Geneva!

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Since physicists have no explanation for why equal amounts of matter & anti-matter didn't arise & cancel each other out shortly after the posed big bang,

how do they know, with all their reckless atom smashing, that they won't uncover [break through to] that anti-matter and annihilate all our standard matter & Universe?

[edit on 4-4-2010 by slank]

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 05:18 AM
link   
What a big dangerous waste of money...So what else does it do?
or WHAT DOES IT REALLY DO?

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by slank

It's not antimatter they are researching at LHC, they try to create the elusive Higgs particle, a completely different concept. You watch too many movies.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
They should figure out a way to make it into a weapon! j/k

I hope this doesnt become the next E=MC2

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Even if the Higgs Boson is discovered it won't change much. It will then go to: "What is the Higgs Boson made of?" Then what's that made of, and so forth and so on.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xilvius
Even if the Higgs Boson is discovered it won't change much. It will then go to: "What is the Higgs Boson made of?" Then what's that made of, and so forth and so on.

Well, if they "find" the particle, they would already know what it would be made of, since they themselves would already have the formula, since they would be the ones who had made (read (re-)constructed) it.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Well... this hog machine has been eating electric for two weeks now. So, what's the discovered solution to producing anti-gravity dark energy?

[edit on 4/13/2010 by Larryman]

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Larryman
Well... this hog machine has been eating electric for two weeks now. So, what's the discovered solution to producing anti-gravity dark energy

You may want to check the stove in your kitchen, there might be something cooking there, consuming electricity, and yes, recipes often take time. Do you rush to taste the beef stew 30 seconds after you put all the ingredients in the pot?

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
so... Did we achieve the great 7 Tev yet?. It points to 3.5

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jordan River
so... Did we achieve the great 7 Tev yet?. It points to 3.5

3.5 TeV per beam = 7 TeV energy in center of mass

3.5*2=7

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Neo Christian Mystic

seven trillion electronvolts

Is that enough to power my Flux Capacitor?

For all the money we spent on the LHC and all the time it spent being repaired, we better find this thing and soon.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
So.. .how do you flush a God particle? Just turn the power off? What if it has a life of its own and feeds on surrounded energy

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

I personally think the "God particle" will be an anticlimax, and not be of much importance for our understanding of physics. But that's me...

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   

That's an interesting thought

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Neo Christian Mystic
reply to post by Jordan River

I personally think the "God particle" will be an anticlimax, and not be of much importance for our understanding of physics. But that's me...

Discovering that space is permeated with Higgs field seems like a pretty cool thing to me!

However, many people do agree that there can be even more exciting stuff to be discovered, such as the whole supersymmetry sector.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

I plee Guilty as charged and I'm gonna do a few of them doin you?
Third line %¤ehrvfsznbz

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Sorry, got back home dead drunk and for some reason I figured I'd write that silly, undisciferable remark. Please ignore.

join