It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marine's dad ordered to pay protesters' court fees !

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Fred Phelps screws Vet's Father!

BALTIMORE - The father of a Marine killed in Iraq and whose funeral was picketed by anti-gay protesters from Kansas was ordered to pay the protesters' appeal costs, his lawyers said Monday.

On Friday, Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit ordered Snyder to pay $16,510 to Fred Phelps. Phelps is the leader of Topeka's Westboro Baptist Church, which conducted protests at Marine Lance Cpl. Matthew Snyder's funeral in 2006.

The two-page decision supplied by attorneys for Albert Snyder of York, Pa., offered no details on how the court came to its decision.

[edit on Tue Mar 30 2010 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Phelps and his "Church" are nothing but professional extortionists who help to pervert our laws and peoples sensabilities on a daily basis. Wonder whos gonna protest/celebrate when this old POS dies? The judge in this case needs to be drug tested, checked for mental commpetency, then run out of town on a rail.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
This decision is un-freekin'-believable! This so-called Reverend and his sick twisted family should be forced to pay for their own expenses till the Supreme court case is over. This is an open ended way to bankrupt this poor family already suffering. These people have no concept of what they do and believe everybody else should bow down to them or else.

Zindo

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
this is a crock of sh!t
no wonder this country
has gone to hell

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Another senile judge needs to retire. The old brain just ain't working like it used to.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
Phelps and his "Church" are nothing but professional extortionists who help to pervert our laws and peoples sensabilities on a daily basis. Wonder whos gonna protest/celebrate when this old POS dies? The judge in this case needs to be drug tested, checked for mental commpetency, then run out of town on a rail.

It would appear the "black robed" bunch are no different than before 1776.......absoulte power in the hands of corrupt men.........although I do agree with Phelps viewpoint.....

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Oh, that's rough. I feel bad for the father.

Question- the article doesn't mention what Phelps was appealing. Was his group forcefully removed from protesting the funeral? Then he filed a grievance that his free speech was violated?

What was he in court about in the first place? What exactly is the father of the Marine paying for?

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
This simple makes me want to vomit, these people have no soul let alone a freaking heart!! As said above this stupid judge needs to retire. I'm going to stop before I revert to my caveman form, and begin grunting and throwing things.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I think that sometimes the better course of valor is discretion, however, I do have a few ideas. One would be to have overlapping costumes that go up about 8 feet that people can wear and then have them stand about 2 feet infront of the Rev. Phelps group surrounding them where their point of view is blocked. If they start to use bull horns, then break out the loudspeakers and set up for say the funeral dirge of choice as to drown them out, thus making it not worth their while to be there as their message would not be heard or seen. I think I have seen this happen twice, once at the Alan Shepard funeral where the counter protestors put on angel costumes, large things that blocked the view of the Phelps group and surrounded them, and said nothing. The other was where a motorcyle group went through and reved their engins up to drown out the phelps group. I don't think that the marines father is going to get anywhere with the Supreme court, so it falls to actions like this to stop the protestors, making them throw the first punch and action, then having it on display for all to see.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
If I had a terminal illness; say end stage
cancer of some sort or heart failure I
would go "out with style."

Phelps would just go.

When that does happen
everyone needs to find out where his
funeral is and return to his family all
of the things they did to others. The
only problem I see is that a sign
reading "God hates asshats" does not
have any flair.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I'm a Christian and I apologize this is happening. These people are a bunch of crooks who should never have won this case.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Ashley,
Here's a bit more on the case and what sparked this ruling. Seem Snyder won a 5 mil. law suit against phelps and now he is appealing that ruling and this judge is acting like he's Phelps butt buddy and twisting the crap out of the case!

More

More Info

Zindo

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Ain't that a bitch? I seem to remember Americans hammering on Canadian not-so-free speech laws regarding that whole Ann Coulture thing in Ontario.

Up here, you can say anything any reasonable person would want to say, but you can't incite violence or attack any visible group or individual with hate speech. The Westboro Baptist Church was threatened with fines and deportation last time they tried to enter Canada, and rightfully so.

It seems things look a little different when someone is directing hate at something you personally hold dear, ie: your military men and women, maybe even a family member that died overseas.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ZombieOctopus

I'm wiling to bet you'd get the same reaction in Canada if you tried what this nutjob did! This funeral was a private affair. Free Speech should never be used as an issue to allow one to show such disrespect ever in any way in any country!
Zindo

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

Yeah... that's what I said. Americans want to have their cake and eat it too and it doesn't work that way. If you want to have unrestricted free speech, this is it, you have to take the good with the bad.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join