It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Somali Pirates Hijack Eight Ships In Three Days

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Somali Pirates Hijack Eight Ships In Three Days

www.csmonitor.com

Pirates captured a Panama-flagged cargo ship just 10 miles from its port on Monday. The ship was last reported being sailed through the Gulf of Aden toward Somalia.

The attack comes after seven ships were hijacked in the Indian ocean this weekend and underscores the persistence of pirates even in the face of increased international patrolling and private security measures undertaken by cargo ships.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Thats a lot! How long this new golden age of piratism will continue? ... Looks like international efforts havent helped much eliminating this threat to international shipping.

Why is it so difficult?

There was just on the news that Mogadishu is now under heavy fighting and also USA is involved there - I assume dealing with pirates is one of the great causes. Taking harbors and ground is maybe only way to tackle these criminals which are great pain in the bankers asses.

But after all, I have to raise my hat to pirates, even I dont support those criminals - they really fight against the whole other world, and still are succeeding in their missions.

www.csmonitor.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by JanusFIN

Damn pirates....

Looks like somebody's been eating their wheaties!

I wish I had their motivation and determination. Not that I would ever want to rape and pillage, but you gotta admit these guys have some balls.

On a serious note, I dont understand why it takes one incident of people hijacking planes and now we have EXTREME safety and security measures. Boats get hijacked and nothing changes? Personally if I was working on a ship worth jacking, cruise liner, cargo vessel etc... You can be damn sure I would be brushing up on my sniper training, as well as purchasing night vision goggles, thermal scopes for my rifles, smoke bombs, and the like.

I dont understand why ships dont have some type of radar/sonar sensor that causes an alarm to go off if a ship (or ships) are heading its way.

I know it would be a hassle, but in these troubled times, can you really be too careful?

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
So this is actually escalating into a low intensity conflict.

The rag tag Somali's are actually fighting back against the world's governments.

In my opinion, this only shows how inept our governments are at solving problems.

They used violence to solve the problem, then what happened? The problem GOT WORSE! And even more Somalis are coming out to hijack in droves now!

Maybe our governments WANTED this? And they provoked it??

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   

So, half the worlds navy is there to prevent pirate attacks are they!

Either that's complete bunk, or the worlds navies are a bunch of big girls blouses, who couldn't find their own shoes, wearing them!

The former is the truth.

If the greedy, i mean tanker owners, and shipping magnates really wanted to protect their ships and cargo from pirates, it would be a simple and relatively cheap option to pay the local Somali warlords an annual 'retainer' for their...ahem...security services.

This masquerade with virtually all of our Navies in the area, supposedly to protect against pirates, has cost us probably something like a decades worth of 'security'.

Lying gits.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by WhiteDevil013

I have think about the same.

In old days of Soviet Union they had always armed guards (from government) in their ships, and I have talked with finnish sailors, who have said that they always tried to anchor near Soviet ships, or move with them because of their readiness to tackle pirates. Usually Soviet ships was left alone because of their effective countermeasures, and finnish ships was aloud use their cover given by them.

But waging war is very expensive, and I think bankers rely on just navies in this, and just dont want to arm their ships because of huge expenses. This have to be political decision, because in eye of regular sailor, there is no sense at all. But I think we are not far from "Blackwatering" ships soon.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Im really worried about what the Gulf of Aden signifies
There is no pirates i dont think, or if there is they are few and far between.

The next holy war and end of days is upon earth as it once was for the egyptions, atlanteans, sumerians.
This is it peoples

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by spikey

Either that's complete bunk, or the worlds navies are a bunch of big girls blouses, who couldn't find their own shoes, wearing them!

The former is the truth.

If the greedy, i mean tanker owners, and shipping magnates really wanted to protect their ships and cargo from pirates, it would be a simple and relatively cheap option to pay the local Somali warlords an annual 'retainer' for their...ahem...security services.

This masquerade with virtually all of our Navies in the area, supposedly to protect against pirates, has cost us probably something like a decades worth of 'security'.

Lying gits.

Great post

Desperate people do desperate things & you dont get more desperate than trying to raise your family in lawless Somalia. Long Abdul Silver king of the waves I tells ya

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Here we go, are you up for a REAL adventure? Go pirate shooting!

barenakedislam.wordpress.com...

top topics

join