It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pay Attention Now Internet User!!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by rexusdiablos

That's the way!

Great job explaining that to Blaine. Everyone needs to read your post.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by zatara

Contracting to big labels is so yesterday in the music industry.
Even big names are becoming independent as soon as their contracts are up.
What needs to be done is for all the independent artists to release their music free of charge (all at once for a few months ,or for infinity ) while requesting donations if the listener likes what they hear.By doing this,and there are millions of indies with billions of tracks,they will change the paradigm of expectation (paying for music at a set price),and the big corps will be left out in the cold as most people will stop buying and switch to the new method of merchandising .The same will happen as what happened when music first started going on line;mp3's etc for download.The big labels were caught with their pants down not taking the internet seriously and thus the popular indie music alternative was born, which they hate very much.
A bit of a downer it might be for anyone still tied to a contract,but they can go indie when it runs out and there is also a chance if this act does bring down the big labels then they will have breeched their agreements with the artists and they'll still get paid out anyway.
Most money is made from merchandising rather than music sales anyway in the industry,caps T shirts ,tours,etc etc rather than from direct music sales ,
same as the movie industry.
If you go to a park and there is a mc donalds on the corner selling burgers, and right across the roand is a street vendor giving his away for free or by donation,where would you eat?
Chances are you'd go to the vendor and drop a coin in his box while there (or even barter something would be good!).
I don't think the macattack would hang around that area for long going bankrupt.
Just thinkin' on the trot here.

Sometimes the simplest of methods can undermine the massive conniving of corporate thinktanks especially when it comes to good old honesty and human co-relations.

On straight lines vs weaving webs ;
copyrightasIam 2010 , but these words are yours to use for free.

One thing though, Googles copyright breeches through scanning are downright criminal and disgusting.I am refering to public usage.

regarding OP
I believe creative commons licenses are the positive way of the future as developed by the people for the people with regard to copyright.
Big Brother censorship driven by corporate lobbying is most certainly not what we the people want.
Thanks for the post,s+F, I wasn't aware of this at all,going to examine it deeper now.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by magnetix
Do you want your online chats monitored?
Flagged

Are you kidding me? Do you honestly think there not being monitored now?

There's no such thing as a 'private message'. Someone will always have access to the back-end database to query your correspondence. YouTube, Hotmail and Facebook are mining and sharing data under our noses.

Can you imagine how easy it would be to psychologically profile you based on your browser history, usage, online transactions and every single word you've typed since the day you first began using the internet?

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Encryption and the illusions of promised safety is a fools paradise. Be it "tor" or any other form of protocol encryption, you are seriously misinformed if you honestly believe it will protect you. You can be tracked, you can be stopped.

Example....a vendor recently released a device for law enforcement to basically perform mitm or man in the middle attacks for SSL. This technology has already been around for a while, its just been dumbed down for law enforcement knuckle draggers. This is what we know, now imagine otherwise.

Fact is big business is losing a lot of money and jobs, regardless of peoples stance of right or wrong in terms of intellectual property rights. They won't stand for it and we are seeing what strong arm tactics and lobbying can do.

brill

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
If thats the way the net is going I will go the other way and get rid of it then. It isnt a big deal to me because I can take or leave the internet. To get this worked up over it sounds like addiction and shackles.

I could not agree more with this statement. hotbakedtater, if I could, I's give you an applaud.

Oh no, what will I do without facebook and IM? How can I exist without my internet? Do what a lot of us have done, for generations... go to the library, CALL your friends, utilize the postal service, copy songs off the radio (or borrow them from your friends.

Go outside, socialize face-to-face (gasp!)

Besides, anyone who has downloaded a file sharing program have already given the authorities to scan their computers... a file share allows public access.

Now to finish reading this thread...

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by rexusdiablos
reply to post by Blaine91555

You're so ridiculously off the mark it's hurting me. Folks that download illegally don't do so for the sake of thievery alone nor are they 'getting off' on a cheap anti-social thrill of file-sharing. That's some the weakest insight I've encountered in a while. They do so not to incur the monetary cost.

I wouldn't completely agree with this. There are people/groups that do benefit differently. For some its being the "first" to release a product (well actually someone else's) essentially bragging rights. There is no question that the software at this level is usually unique or very expensive hence your comment about monetary costs, won't argue there. For the average pirate though yes its a free ride, no question.

brill

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Now December Rain this is a good thread; Sources, links, lively debate.

S+F for you - nice work.

-m0r

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by warpcrafter
Well, every time that I've had anything to do with a .torrent file, I ended up with a virus or malware on my computer, so as far as I'm concerned, they can all go in the great recycle bin in the sky.
that's a fine response for people like you who can't protect yourself. You probably need the govt to protect you from yourself.

The rest of us should not be penalized for your shortcomings and fear. Its like the motorcycle helmet laws only worse. Nobody ever died from a computer crash but let's invade your privacy just in case.

I got no problem with you wearing a helmet in the grocery store. Leave me alone and I promise not to feel sorry for you. Correction; I will do my best not to...

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
The internet provides a vast increase in knowledge to the individual user, it also represents freedom, this alone goes against the ideology of TPTB.
In thier eyes educated people are dangerous people.
Stand up for what little freedom we have left.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I don't think Google will allow the internet to be ruined by the evil doers

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   

reply to post by optimus primal

If thats the way the net is going I will go the other way and get rid of it then. It isnt a big deal to me because I can take or leave the internet. To get this worked up over it sounds like addiction and shackles.

Yeah love, but some people make their lively hood from the internet.
And for some people, it's their only form of media.
This is more than being about if you can take or leave the internet, this is about protecting our rights to anonymity and to distribute freely things that we've already paid for.
If I buy a cd, I have purchased the right to give copies of that cd to whomever I want, as long as I'm not making any money off of it.
Even if I hadn't bought it, but received it from someone online, as long as none of us are charging for it, we should have the right to give it to whomever we want.
Net neutrality is important.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   
ALL HAIL CAESAR!!!

Laws and acts like this really makes me sick.

The fact is that TPTB fears the free flow of information. This isn't about copyright infringement, this is about CONTROL of information.

If we loose NET NEUTRALITY, the people's current most powerfull weapon against the stablishment will be undermined, why don't people get this? Isn't it clear enough already where TPTB want to lead the world we live in? A major labor camp? CONTROL CONTROL CONTROL.

The internet is our last resource to fight TIRANY, the only way we can fight to stablish TRUE DEMOCRACY in the future. People should be fighting against this.

To those sheoples that embrace this, all I have to say is "ALL HAIL CAESAR!"

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
as long as the internet takes steps forward also...a sort of net neutrality isn't too much of a concern for me.

and when this all comes to pass, i'll have enough money to not worry about it... it does suck i'm going to have to start buying things again. lol

it is a serious thing though. i wonder when cyber-police and all that will start up.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   

1 - ISPS will now watch what you download, and tattle on you if you download a music track/ any data / rapidshares / torrents etc.

2 - ISPS will tattle on you, when you do anything which goes against "Governments policy".

3 - ISPS will be able to document and store EVERYTHING you do online. nothing will ever be private again

1. I've already had something like this happen as I was shut off for downloading too much. I don't even know what or if I did but they shut me off.

2. Wasn't this already becoming the norm?

3. Isn't everything documented already?

Not to say this isn't a big(ger) deal but it's not shocking nor is it anything new, as far as I have seen and known. But hey, what do I know.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by tektek2012
it is a serious thing though. i wonder when cyber-police and all that will start up.

A kind of cyber-police already exists. They just don't have real power... Yet.

I believe, correct me if I'm mistaken, that ThePirateBay.org was banned in Denmark in 2008. This was due to a massive media attention regarding filesharing, copyright infrigiments and so on. ThePirateBay have recieved massive amounts of threats from lawyers (what I refer to as the cyber police without real power) and they tried to close down the site, by referring to American laws of copyright.
Now as some, or most, of you know ThePirateBay was actually located in Sweden were the rules of copyright are a lot more different, and more liberal, than in America.

The lawyers still tried to close down the site, yet were unable to do so because of the different set of laws. Well people, there we go! Cyber police in the hellish form of media lawyers. That's scary.

For those of you who live outside of Denmark, or any other country where the site might be banned, I strongly advice you to go and read their emails from lawyers as well as the replies. Most of them are VERY entertaining!

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 02:52 AM
link   
reply to post by warpcrafter

Really, how strange, i've been using torrent sites for years, and hardly EVER had an infected file.

Curious, that you say every torrent you have downloaded is infected isn't it?

Maybe you're using the wrong torrent site(s), i suggest you try the more mainstream sites, which check the torrent files for infections just before you initiate download.

Also, if you are into downloading illegal content, such as blockbuster films, copyrighted music and so on, as opposed to the millions of legitimate torrents available on the net, the MPAA has been waging a digital war for the last year or two, where they actually seed virus and trojan laden copies of fake files passing themselves off as the latest films etc.

So, many of the viruses you may be encountering come from the 'authorities'.

Secure your system, visit reputable torrent hosting sites, and avoid illegal content.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 03:09 AM
link   

I support acts like this. It will encourage people to create their own music to listen to, and create their own art and movies and lives to live.

I guess the government thinks they can control people by taking this away. The ability to illegally file share is not one I am going to cry over leaving me.

Don't you mean that the ability to FILE SHARE is not the one you are going to cry over leaving you?
Nobody can really tell at what kind of legal status the files that are being shared by a file sharing program are in. Nobody can 100% claim they can identify this remotely while the files are being shared. So effectively all they have to do to combat this is to disable file sharing in bulk for the Internet users and especially P2P, which is absolutely free from user to user to share anything they like.

So we are talking about not being able to share the recent news of a false flag nuke attack on Israel, or an bloody uprising in China, or a coop that ended up being a mess in Russia, or the next inside job of another 9/11 on America.
Are you sure you are not going to cry over this?
If you answer yes, then you shouldn't have any reasons to be visiting ATS anyway.

[edit on 31-3-2010 by spacebot]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Welcome Home!

www.ektoplazm.com

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 03:30 AM
link   
people will never give up file sharing.
i can see it right now. social spots and coffee joints turning into file sharing hubs. all you need is a bluetooth or wifi enabled device and a program.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by asIam

Everything in your post is true and great until you get to the peoples good old honesty. And you talk about the massive corruption of corporations. There is still no getting around the fact that millions and millions of people have stolen property for years and are still stealing it. That is also massive corruption.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join