It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video of Portland Cop hitting protester with bicycle. Is that legal?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
I for one, am fed up with cops who think they are all that, and if you don't obey, they can do whatever they want to make you comply.

Hey cops, you work for us! We pay your wages! Think about that the next time someone organizes peaceful protest against you.

CNN showed a video where they are doing it more. Can't find that. This really angers me. Who TF does this cop think she is?

This war will come down to the citizens, against the government. Better think about who's side your on. If you work for the government, you work for us.

This is OUR country. People who work for the government are there to SERVE us. They are not BETTER than us.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by 911stinks

Think about that the next time someone organizes peaceful protest against you.

That'll teach em!

No, I don't think it is legal for a cop to hit a protester with his bike. Then again, in this day and age cops get away with a lot more than that.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
To add further insult to injury, 4 days ago

An Oregon man is in jail for allegedly hurling a bicycle at an officer during an anti-police protest.

www.wishtv.com...

Talk about Heretics.

On Sunday, public gatherings were held at six Portland locations where citizens died during or shortly after encounters with the Portland police over the last 14 years. A small memorial was left at each site as well as palm branches in observance of the Christian holiday Palm Sunday, which was held the same day.

All those remembered were unarmed when they were killed

www.dailyvanguard.com...

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   

I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out that it was the same guy that got arrested. It wouldn't be the first time that a cop attacks someone and then presses charges for assault.

I live in Portland and I had no idea that this even took place.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Is this site full of cops or what? Where's the anger?

Another video, this one showing many cops using their bicycles.

www.kptv.com...

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
The only part in the video I see where she hit him is from :05-:11. It appears she says something to him (Ill assume it was Back Up), and she did move the one side of her bike towards his left side, I can't say she hit him with malice or intent to harm but more of as a warning.

If you notice the guy behind him in the brown hoodie. He is saying something and moving toward the cops on the other side (the hit persons right). that is when a 3rd officer comes up from behind. Maybe he issued an order to have to people move back etc. I don't know for sure and we can really see what is taking place behind the front lines.

Anyway, seems to me like the guy in the brown hoodie is using the hit person as a shield etc. But to answer you question, she probably shouldn't have done that-was it criminal? Well, I can tell you here in Pa-during the World Summit that the courts were pretty favorable to the police. Which is normally the situation in a mass protest/riot situation.

Should she be charged with an offense. No. Some type of interanl repremand/training/ Yes.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by anon72
The only part in the video I see where she hit him is from :05-:11. It appears she says something to him (Ill assume it was Back Up), and she did move the one side of her bike towards his left side, I can't say she hit him with malice or intent to harm but more of as a warning.

Please watch this video. All the cops were doing it, to people who were walking away from this.

www.kptv.com...

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Hello, My brother was arrested over the weekend with some of his friends and when he got out he told me that there were these rookies in the detention center hitting people and what not, and he told me one of the rookie cops was walking and he fell to the floor and everyone started laughing and when he got up he started to beat the crap out of one of my brothers friend. Another thing that happened was that my brothers friend wanted to go to the bathroom and the cop told him no cause im scare of you and you might do something when i take off your handcuffs, so before getting to the bathroom the cop took off his cuffs and started to punch him in the face and told them that he was attacked.

Another thing that happened to my friend in st patrick's day was that we were at a club and the bathroom was crowded, so security was controlling who goes to the bathroom so my friend she was let in with her other friend to go pee, and they took about 5min so they called the cops, the officer came over kicked the door open and my friend she didnt have her pants up and the cop grabbed her by the hair and threw her on the floor so my friend which is her boyfriend went over and punched the cop in the face he was taken to jail of course, but they got a lawyer for what he did and the lawyer told her if you press any charges on the officer than he will press charges on your boyfriend....

Someone should do something about these cops....

[edit on 30-3-2010 by ^anubis^]

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by ^anubis^
Hello, My brother was arrested over the weekend with some of his friends and when he got out he told me that there were these rookies in the detention center hitting people and what not, and he told me one of the rookie cops was walking and he fell to the floor and everyone started laughing and when he got up he started to beat the crap out of one of my brothers friend. Another thing that happened was that my brothers friend wanted to go to the bathroom and the cop told him no cause im scare of you and you might do something when i take off your handcuffs, so before getting to the bathroom the cop took off his cuffs and started to punch him in the face and told them that he was attacked.

Thanks for bringing forth the truth my friend. Kudos to the courage your brother and yourself has.

The citizens of the United States have the RIGHT to abolish the government.

We hold that right given to us through the Declaration of Independence, you know, the thing we celebrate July 4th for.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

www.ushistory.org...

[edit on 30-3-2010 by 911stinks]

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Thank you for that video link. With that and the included info, I would say she, and the other officers, were well within their rights (as police). The video answers the question poised. I am not going to get into a long diatribe about permits, authorization to protest etc.-that is a whole another subject in itself.

So, to answer the OP's question, no, the female officer should not be arrested. She was doing what she was trained to do and was taking orders to keep people off the roadway/streets.

People have the right to protest but they must do it in accordance with the law. End of story. Don't like the law(s), vote the right person in to change them.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
And people just take it like a punk.

Don't waste your time protesting like this. It only encourages punk kids in uniforms to act like tyrants behind their badges, and it only gets good hearted people hurt by those tyrants.

Here is how we defeat the system. Listen closely.

Stop watching TV as much as possible.
Stop buying useless crap. Including electronics. Just for a year or two, please. The stuff in 2014 will be better anyway and worth the wait trust me.

Stop buying brand name products. Buy local goods if possible. Go on a diet, don't eat out at fast food chains anymore. Only eat out at locally owned small time places.

Don't drive around a lot and waste gas, just let your car sit long periods if possible. Carpool.

Hit them where it counts, their pocketbook. Change your economic outlook, as it will directly impart their economic outlook.

Their power lies within this, economics. By trumping them there, you will undermine their power mechanisms.

Good luck.

[edit on 30-3-2010 by muzzleflash]

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   

People have the right to protest but they must do it in accordance with the law. End of story. Don't like the law(s), vote the right person in to change them.

Cop was ordering the protesters to back up. Cops are trained to use their bikes in that manner. End of story.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Cop was ordering the protesters to back up. Cops are trained to use their bikes in that manner. End of story.

And the Roman Legions were trained to use their shields to slam you in your face if you didn't back up.

End of story. The Roman Empire was a legitimate authority huh? They sure did earn their right to govern all those countless nations.

How bout the Mongols trained to use their horses to slam protesters over? They sure were justified and righteous to do that huh?

Cuz Might is always Right? Right?

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I'm just wondering, when the people step forward and exercise their right to abolish the Government, and institute a new one, will the current government fight back.

You bet your ass they will. That's why exercising our right will cost blood. Not because we are wrong, but we are right.

It is the government, that has it wrong. Unfortunately, all will pay dearly.

The government woefully underestimates it's enemy, the people the government is designed to serve.

They have forgotten how to serve, and expect to be serviced.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Mr Canuck, I beg your pardon but, I am personally growing tired of the age old painful oppression meted out by Empire.

Empire needs funds to run and expand. So Empire forces us to pay, and if we do not pay up. Which happens?

Freedom, or Oppression?

I implore you to look inward, and ask yourself to consider your very own personal safety as well as the stability of the world's peoples as well.

Continued freedom, not oppression nor regulation. But this freedom is the only way we will avoid a complete melt down into violence everywhere. Please realize this.

The Empire is violent beyond any recognizable means. This is the only way it survives. Intimidation, and if necessary, brutal merciless violence.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
The Empire is violent beyond any recognizable means. This is the only way it survives. Intimidation, and if necessary, brutal merciless violence.

Personally, I can't equate listening to cops with encouraging "Empire". If I'm doing a protest and a cop asks me to move, I'm going to move.

And authority? It also keeps the chronic arses at bay.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Yet again, another image that is NOT what it seems. At first I was thinking "she is being stupid by going beyond setting up the barrier". Then I watched the video again more closely a couple times. She wasn't hitting the guy that it appeared to be. Watch the idiot who is being aggressive as the video starts in the brown jacket. There is a cop already pushing him back with his bike. Then the guy goes to the other side still being aggressive and the female cop pushes HIM back with the bike, not the guy that is standing there with his hands behind his back. Also, the cop that points the spray wasn't pointing at the guy that flinched (the one holding his hands behind his back) but at the idiot in the brown jacket trying to instigate things.

You see, it's all a matter of perspective. Something I have worked very hard on trying to see. You see a peaceful protestor getting hit with a bike and get outraged. Which is exactly what the person who posted this video wants. They set this up so that you have the good protestor/bad protestor situation. The good one just stands there while the bad one provokes to try and make it look like the police are going after the seemingly innocent good guy.

Yes, I know for a fact that the cops do the same thing when they want to disrupt large protests. They go in and rile the crowds up so they can have an excuse to use more force.

But in this case, for your argument, I think you are a bit off. If the video would show us what was taking place for the 5 minutes leading up and the 5 minutes following we may have a clearer idea of what actually took place.

Just my opinion, but no crime took place here.

link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Originally posted by muzzleflash

Personally, I can't equate listening to cops with encouraging "Empire". If I'm doing a protest and a cop asks me to move, I'm going to move.

What part of "they were protesting against the cops authority" do you not understand?

Cops are out of control. Time to reign em in.

link   

Originally posted by 911stinks

The government woefully underestimates it's enemy, the people the government is designed to serve.

Here is why you are correct. It is sort of like the movie fight club.

Even the janitor could just snap and go on a rampage tomorrow.

Or their own personal bodyguards could turn on them.

Their corruption degrades politics into a Byzantine level, which causes power to shift hands quickly as jealousy, greed, and crime increase broadly.

Every person will view themselves as more important than others, so they will splinter and vie vs each other for power, using all means of treachery and subterfuge available.

This will make our current world set up more akin to the Roman Empire, where treachery is the strongest trait of inner government. Where the peoples are treated like slaves and corralled or killed. Or sent off to wars in far off lands they never heard of.

What does Byzantine mean in terms of "Politics?"

dictionary.reference.com...

"6. characterized by elaborate scheming and intrigue, esp. for the gaining of political power or favor: Byzantine methods for holding on to his chairmanship."

en.wikipedia.org...
"This negative reputation stressed the confusing complexities organization of its ministries, the elaborateness of its court ceremonies, as well as for its supposed lack of backbone in martial affairs. Likewise, the "Byzantine system" also suggests a penchant for intrigue, plots and assassinations and an overall unstable political state of affairs"

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by dariousg

You obviously haven't read the thread. Come back when you watch the video that's in the link.

Then, tell me, why it's OK for cops to "corral" people with their weapons, sharp sprockets and painful pedals.

And you tell me, why, when a protester throws his bicycle at the cops, he is arrested for assault.

Again, I tell you, the citizen have the right to abolish the government.

Put yourselves on the side of the government, and you face abolishment.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join