It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS members need confirmation of credidation.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Board Owner, CEO & all Mods...

Not sure if the above subject spells out what I want to say but here it goes.

Since I've been a member, as we all know, there have been countless people which claim to have 'credentials' of working at so-and-so or having a degree in XYZ; IMO, this is wreaking havoc with the members since there's no way to actually confirm they are who they say they are.

There are/have been topics on ATS which deal with extreme issues in the USA even at this very moment. As you well may know, this brings up the ol' "where's the proof, where are their creditals, why won't they just come out with them..there's gotta be something to hide.. ".. grrrrrrr

This really infruiates me to no end since 90% of those that post for so called 'proof' without even a hint giving them any face value and completely go off on trying to derail the thread or inadvertently, because of a persons credentials; therefore, turning some very important issues to dust to be push back to never-never land of threads.

I'm woundering, just woundering, how many member that have left ATS because members trash them because they won't divulge their creditals online, as they shouldn't IMO, for safety of the family and friends.

I'm NOT talking about people that are connected with Goodchild either. I'm talking about members that come on here with some serious info, which might lead credibility to subjects long though of as 'hoaxs'...such as ... Apollo/NASA program and the entire conspiracies that surround that whole ball of wax. (just using this Why I left NASA as an example)

So, in trying to never bring a problem without out a solution here's the only thing I can come up with is,

assign a person(s) on the staff which can vouch for a members creaditials and then list those people on a thread with the staff members name next to it as a quick way to check if this person is legit..

It may look like this for example...

Thread name: ATS member list of credentials.

ATS Member: Komodo, Phd Computer Science
Springer, Moderator, Moderator-ATS STAFF confirmed
------------------------------------------------------

That would be it, nothing fancy, but definately might quell the amount of skepicisimz (sp) that is running rampant and perhaps keep a few more members that want to divulge info but can't, due to family and friend that might be harmed because of the the sentivity of the threads, not to mentioned get raked over the coals in a matter of minutes because of it.

I'm not sure what would constitute the criteria for the credentials besides a degree. I'll leave that up to you guys..

IMO, if ATS REALLY REALLY wants to make it's image become more than just another blog, this might just put us on the map of the 1 stop for issues under 1 roof. Not to mention the obvious.

How would the ATS staff aquire the credentials? I'm...not really sure.
but maybe we can all put our thoughts here and come up with some..

Hopefully to hear from you all soon.

~Komodo

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 06:07 AM
link   
I love the ones that have "I used to work at a highly top secret..." or "I have a friend who works over at -----, a highly top secret..." or "I'm in contact with dimensional aliens, and they want me to tell you..."

Credentials would be nice, or at least, something to back up and support the claims. It's amazing, how many people "in the know" are on ATS, all the while we see the same three people making the waves on History and Discovery Channels.

But, it all boils down to "ATS should be a place where we can openly discuss things in a totally anonymous fashion, without the worry of prosecution." (even though if people really were whistle-blowing from top secret levels within the government, you'd think their home computers would be tapped)

OH! Mustn't forget the people that claim "I have inside information that says ----------. I know this to be true, because my source works for..." or even "The government is going to strike, and I, as a high level -------, know when and where, but I cannot divulge that information."

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Just a suggestion: Pay more attention to WHAT is being said and less to WHO is saying it.

There's no university degree that prevents someone from lying, and no high-school dropout that can't offer a bit of truth that might do us all some good.

Content is what's important. Who is offering it is not... unless you decide which letters to open depending on what your mail carrier looks like

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 06:34 AM
link   
I agree with redoubt. The person who says it shouldn't be as important as what is being said. It really doesn't matter whether someone has a Ph.D. or just as matric, this should never me in regard to the information presented. Credentials never affect the quality, validation or the meaning of the message.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Nah, Komodo's got a valid point. It really DOES matter who is saying it, and to believe otherwise is just unrealistic. If it didn't matter, then the words of Obama would mean no more than the words of an adolescent, unschooled refugee.

And for high profile figures, such as Jim Marrs, or John Lear, I believe ATS did this to a degree already. They just didn't post it in a dedicated thread to the issue. And btw, that's Springer, OWNER, Komodo...

I for one agree this may be a good suggestion. Not for everyone, but certain threads could benefit from an internal validation by ATS of the person's credentials. And actually, I think Springer would be an excellent choice to head up that initiative- with all info collected only available to him. It doesn't mean that he would reveal it- just validate it and post his validation in a special thread.

Flag from me Komodo, I like it.

[edit on Tue Mar 30th 2010 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt

Content is what's important. Who is offering it is not... unless you decide which letters to open depending on what your mail carrier looks like

That's a nice idea but that's not going to happen on ATS for various reasons. This place is as clique-driven as any other on the internet and the star-rating system only serves to perpetuate this. It's an elephant in the room but it's fairly evident to anyone that's objective about this place that some posters and moderators could type in a random stream of characters and they'd still get half a dozen stars atop of their post.

Combine that with the fact that this forum is a magnet for not only some of the flakiest thinking on the internet but is also a magnet for people that are looking for confirmation bias for ideas that they can't get elsewhere, means that being critical of content means little and the like-minded just flock together.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt
Just a suggestion: Pay more attention to WHAT is being said and less to WHO is saying it.

There's no university degree that prevents someone from lying, and no high-school dropout that can't offer a bit of truth that might do us all some good.

And herein lies the answer. It's all we know, and all we need to know.
If I had a string of degrees, and the opportunity to include them here, confirmed, beside my username, I wouldn't do it, and I doubt that many others would either. For lots and lots of reasons.

[edit on 3/30/2010 by ladyinwaiting]

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
But at the end of the day you have to remember what ATS actually is, an internet message board. Its that simple. I felt kind of disgusted to be part of this site when I saw all the people assuming the NASA guy is full of crap and devoting their entire day to bickering back and forth about the validity of software on the rover that NO ONE has detailed information on. (also; I wouldn't be surprised if some of the one calling "witch" actually worked at NASA themselves.)

See, if you think someone is full of garbage, you DONT post on their thread. Its that simple. Its the stupid back and forth that makes these threads grow and drown out the small threads that ACTUALLY MATTER.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Why not just post your home address and SSN while we are at it? Credentials mean nothing to me as the body of work some one posts is much more important. For the most part you can be certain posters know what they are talking about just by how they present it. Most posters provide links to information so we can verify what they are presenting. Just because someone has a PH.D does not make them more believable especially with the types of topics being covered here on ATS.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
You have a very valid point.

The only problem I can see is that people will hold off on a discussion until the "accredited" member comes in and gives his/her opinion. I see this now with "wait until Phage gets here and straightens out what's what". It's not necessarily a bad thing, Phage's opinion is very important and he obviously knows his stuff, however, it does get frustrating reading post after post of: "I'm not commenting until Phage...."

However, it would be nice if the author of the thread, when claiming to have xyz credentials in order to add validity to the thread, had to muster up some sort of "proof" to someone on ATS.

Lastly, above all, I would hate to eliminate anyone's opinion since sometimes the most interesting information comes from a most unlikely source.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I see your point but I believe it is not worth the try. The best thing you can do is read/learn/research THEN make the best determination for yourself. Like Redoubt stated: Pay more attention to WHAT is being said and less to WHO is saying it.

I do a lot of back ground checks on people and I can tell you-the determined ones can make it look like they are accredited out the ying-yang but, upon some digging, questioning and research-the truth comes out.

Remember, no matter what or how much this site means to you-it may not be the same for the Poser-putting something down they shouldn't-which may cause someone a bad time etc. Althought there are some pretty amazing and intelligent people on here, you can not close your eyes to potential frauds-even if they have some creditials. JMO.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

ouch .. my total bad on ownership.. i'm so sorry Springer! thx for the catch TA!,

and yes.. thanks for putting some more 'teeth' into what was trying to get across; I was at work and did my best to post in 30 mins LOL

I would totally agree with you on the cred's TA, and that's what I'm saying as well.. I read the things that are posted and to mean some of it seems so real that the only thing we really can do here to deny ignorance is point to the person that are making the claims and their 'creds' you know?

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by anon72
I see your point but I believe it is not worth the try. The best thing you can do is read/learn/research THEN make the best determination for yourself. Like Redoubt stated: Pay more attention to WHAT is being said and less to WHO is saying it.

I do a lot of back ground checks on people and I can tell you-the determined ones can make it look like they are accredited out the ying-yang but, upon some digging, questioning and research-the truth comes out.

Remember, no matter what or how much this site means to you-it may not be the same for the Poser-putting something down they shouldn't-which may cause someone a bad time etc. Although there are some pretty amazing and intelligent people on here, you can not close your eyes to potential frauds-even if they have some credentials. JMO.

here in lies the issue(s), some people just don't have the time to research the volume the others have that are making such claims...do you?

yes I totally understand that people on the net want just one thing, attention. Example, look a the lady that headed up the survivors for 9/11~!! A total Sham!

I'm saying there HAS to be a balance btwn the two; character and cred's.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by habfan1968
Why not just post your home address and SSN while we are at it? Credentials mean nothing to me as the body of work some one posts is much more important. For the most part you can be certain posters know what they are talking about just by how they present it. Most posters provide links to information so we can verify what they are presenting. Just because someone has a PH.D does not make them more believable especially with the types of topics being covered here on ATS.

ok .. you totally missed my example. I'm NOT saying post they SSN or even a scanned copy of their degree/credentials !! go back and re-read my OP..

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by drsmooth23
But at the end of the day you have to remember what ATS actually is, an internet message board. Its that simple. I felt kind of disgusted to be part of this site when I saw all the people assuming the NASA guy is full of crap and devoting their entire day to bickering back and forth about the validity of software on the rover that NO ONE has detailed information on. (also; I wouldn't be surprised if some of the one calling "witch" actually worked at NASA themselves.)

See, if you think someone is full of garbage, you DONT post on their thread. Its that simple. Its the stupid back and forth that makes these threads grow and drown out the small threads that ACTUALLY MATTER.

ok.. so if ATS is 'just' another website/message board then why the moto Deny Ignorance ?????

It's in my understanding that this site was to expose (or bring to light) top government secrets and to deny Ignorance... if this is true, then what really are we as members really doing?? What really is the goal?? What are we accomplishing or trying to accomplish actually?

that really is a question that needs to be answered; because, if the moto is true... we need something with teeth .. just another 'fun' message board.. the fun board is BTS .. NOT ATS!!!

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
If it didn't matter, then the words of Obama would mean no more than the words of an adolescent, unschooled refugee.

"Obama, show us your education transcripts, credentials, where are they?"

If someone is proclaiming to have such or such a credential, can't you just ask them to prove it, and until they do, do question their credibility? Frankly, I like to hear what anyone has to say, even the liar liars. Anyhow, I think it cute and funny when people show up proclaiming ridiculous unbelievable credentials.

You know, one day a REAL alien life form from another world could post here and readily admit who he/she was, and what would be funny is those that thinking the aliens are visiting Earth would not believe such an admission because their expectations of what a space alien MUST BE did not match reality, ha.

Heck, you never know, I might be a real space alien, but of course you wouldn't believe that if I not match your assumed expectations of a space visitor.

Let people proclaim whatever they want, that's part of the fun here.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by lpowell0627
You have a very valid point.

The only problem I can see is that people will hold off on a discussion until the "accredited" member comes in and gives his/her opinion. I see this now with "wait until Phage gets here and straightens out what's what". It's not necessarily a bad thing, However, it would be nice if the author of the thread, when claiming to have xyz credentials in order to add validity to the thread, had to muster up some sort of "proof" to someone on ATS.

Lastly, above all, I would hate to eliminate anyone's opinion since sometimes the most interesting information comes from a most unlikely source.

understandable.. however, reading up on some threads that would catch the attention of Phage's eye, and then NOT seeing him post even makes me even more questioning! LOL.. yes, i've agreed to disagree with him on a few threads, but, his technical analysis is excellent to say the least.

Phage's opinion is very important and he obviously knows his stuff, however, it does get frustrating reading post after post of: "I'm not commenting until Phage...."
agreed but, IMO, it acts like a filter for those who don't have the know how to extrapolate the data and are waiting for those members which do to make a better post, I know I do that ALOT, so I don't either repeat what someone just said or look like an ass LOL..

and to tell you the truth, if Phage left because of the bickering back and forth .. ATS TOTALLY fails it's mission.. not to mention the others that have left to aqquire more data or share it with those who will listen ..

I'm saying that because of the credentials people might stop before openign their mouths and consider both .. the person threads/posts AND their creds.. then they can argue all they want to with the knowledge presented till they are blue in the face, but they'll have to get around both of those first..

as Phage moto is.. "get your facts first, THEN you can distort them as you please" LOL..

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   
There is also one other thing you are not even considering, personal privacy.

I for one, if this site wants me to send in or scan in any of my personally identifiable documents will leave. I have had my safety put in jeopardy once or twice already and will not submit to that a third time just because you want me to prove something to you, no offense but what you're asking is a big breach of privacy laws, and cannot be tolerated or even considered, lest ATS becomes the police state we all fear from our government.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

No we don't.

This is the internet.

The beauty is that we don't need to provide proof of anything.

If are frustrated with what you read, or gullible enough to believe any of it without a grain of salt, then well..that's on you friend.

~Keeper

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by vkey08
There is also one other thing you are not even considering, personal privacy.

I for one, if this site wants me to send in or scan in any of my personally identifiable documents will leave. I have had my safety put in jeopardy once or twice already and will not submit to that a third time just because you want me to prove something to you, no offense but what you're asking is a big breach of privacy laws, and cannot be tolerated or even considered, lest ATS becomes the police state we all fear from our government.

A very good point very close to one I was about to make. So just to expand on your comment a bit, if ATS is put into the position of verifying credentials and someone with valid information that needs to get out wants to post it, this could possibly stifle any information in being released i.e. they may not post their information here. Further, then ATS is in the middle and could be subpoenaed when TPTB come looking for any information they may have on file for the person(s). Which you mentioned can be very dangerous.

So I think we need to keep the conversation as it is. They have enough information on all of us as it is.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join