It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange Rock Carving

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
perhaps the vikings cared iiv heard that they came over to america long long before columbus hell they even went to iraq!
theyve been just about everywhere

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Just an FYI -- there are those making a case for Celts in West Virginia pre-columbus.

Ancient European Skeleton Recovered In West Virginia Cave
farshores.org...

LIGHT DAWNS ON WEST VIRGINIA HISTORY
West Virginia Petroglyphs
www.cwva.org...

Celt Explorers in West Virginia’s Coalfields?
www.appvoices.org.../site/voice_stories/celt_explorers_in_west_virginias_coalfields/issue/543

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
One thing I have failed to see in this thread is...
What kind of rock is it? And to me it looks weathered down as the engraving seems smooth. Could just be a random event of mother nature. But still an awesome find reguardless what it is or isn't!!

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I would scope the area out at night (somehow if you can get your hands on NV goggles).

But don't waste your time, only go out there on dates that are specifically important to people who with Wiccan/Pagan beliefs. I'll bet you'll see some activity, probably just some people in the buff doing chants and ritualistic dancing.

As far as what dates to go out there...you'd have to look them up as I'm not a Wiccan or a Pagan. But I'd imagine night's like Winter Solstice maybe are important to these people?

But I wouldn't get the local Uni's involved in this. I HIGHLY doubt there is anything valuable there from an archeological standpoint.

I think it's just a marker for a "place of gathering" and thats all. No treasure, no reason for the local Uni/Museum to do a "dig".

But if your curious, look up impotant Pagan dates, and maybe go out there BUT STAY FAR ENOUGH AWAY so you arent seen. I bet you'll see some activity down there.

Hopefully no sacrificies

But I doubt that. Again probably just rituals that are harmless to outsiders but VERY important to these people who carved that image.

So don't disturb it, and don't call the authorities. At least I wouldn't.

Thats my 2 coppers.

But doesas you see fit, but be careful about anything you do choose to do.

Be safe!

S+F

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Woah be crazy fun if you stumbled across a lost secret or an entrance into the inner earth. Or it could be a treasur emap and when you find a tree like that nearby you get another clue..

or it could be potheads.

Really interesting though be keeping an eye on this thread

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

Every so often a good find is put on ATS. Thank you for posting the pictures and I am one who awaits what Byrd has to say on it.

One thing I did notice was there was not too much signs of erosion on the carving, even though it is near running water. I do not think it is very old, and hope the OP finds an archeologist from a nearby university to take a look at it. As some here have indicated, the Knights of the Golden Circle would rob trains and banks and bury the gold coins. Please do not reveal the location, unless you want many strangers digging up around the area and lawsuits if they get hurt.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Looks like a footprint of some pre historic or hyperdimensional reptilian crocodile like creature. Its not a carving at all. A fossilised sample if you will. But a very intriguing find. Could may well be a projection of and image carved by laser from some extraterrestrial craft in the pre historic times.Try and contact a non destructive test laboratory to analyseit and maybe you may find some hints of a laser or unknown elements. Most important notify the authorities so it can be protected.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Very cool rock. Do you feel any energy coming off it when you touch it?
Check out this link of the plumber who now has healing powers after discovering a rock under his house.

'Mystical' stone puts plumber on new path

www.ananova.com...

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by savvys84

Looks like a footprint of some pre historic or hyperdimensional reptilian crocodile like creature. Its not a carving at all. A fossilised sample if you will. But a very intriguing find. Could may well be a projection of and image carved by laser from some extraterrestrial craft in the pre historic times.

Surely this is just a wind-up. But just to state: It is not made by aliens.
Why would aliens put something like that in middle of a creek bed? To what end? And if you know of prehistoric footprints found that look like that please post a link or pictures.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by kadyr80

Nice one Kadyr80,

It's also little known, that 'America' was named after a Welshman, who funded John Cabot, a 15th century sailor on an expedition to the mainland. He was called Richard Amerike.

Maybe there's a connection to the Celts with this stone?

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by kidflash2008

Lawsuits if they get hurt?! Are you joking?

How the hell could they claim it was the OP's fault they got hurt?

There is still such a thing as personal responsibility isn't there?

If i told you there was a tree half a mile from where you lived, and you decided to go and see it, but tripped over on the way..are you saying you could bring a lawsuit against me for telling you there's a tree half a mile from you?

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu
I have to admit, I'm perplexed.

A few days ago, a gentleman was walking in the woods, in an undisclosed location in WV, when he happened upon a curiously carved rock. This particular gent has been all over this ground, for years, and had never noticed this rock carving before.

He came back and reported the find, and so far no one else has ever noticed it before either. Keep in mind these gents have been all over this territory hunting and such, and are keen observers due to that pursuit. No much gets by them, but no one has noticed this rock before.

I went out this morning in the company of one of them to see this rock for myself, as I was not a little dubious.

This is a photo I took of it a little after noon today:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1fabd6a7039e.jpg[/atsimg]

The rock itself is embedded in the bed of a small mountain stream, around 200 meters or so away from the nearest road, up a small hollow. The stream I think is mostly dry, but has had some water running in it lately due to heavy rains. The area it's in is little frequented, and mostly uninhabited.

The circle is 22 inches wide at the inside edge of the circle, and 21 1/2 inches tall at the inside edge of the circle. The depth that the circle is cut to is between 5/8 and 3/4 of an inch. The orientation of the stem of the central "tree" is east by north-east.

I did a cursory search of Google images (just the first 20 pages) and found similar,but not identical, figures. They were the Norse "World tree" (Yggdrasil), the Celtic "Tree of Life", and a Buddhist figure somewhat resembling the carving. None of these explains how THIS carving would be found in the middle of nowhere in West Virginia, with this obvious patina of age.

The "branches" of the central "tree" vaguely resemble the layout of the surrounding hollows. There has been some lively discussion today of whether or not this could be some sort of "map" of the surrounding one or two square miles. Some say it most likely IS, others are equally certain that it ISN'T. So far, no theory has been advanced as to why anyone would take the time to rock-cut a map of such a small area.

An idea has been advanced that it is some sort of Indian carving, but no purpose for it has been suggested.

Why the "tree"? Why the circle? Why in the middle of nowhere, off the beaten path, in an uninhabited area? Why in the middle of a stream bed? Who would take the time to carve it, and for what purpose?

Any ideas? Explanations? suggestions for further research? I have to admit my perplexity in the matter once again.

It must have been done fairly recently, because you don't see any algae in the rock cut, but you see it on the parts that aren't cut on the rock.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
My guess is that it's some kind of thing used to smash or cut something and then gather the blood or juice at the bottom. Now, you could imagine that it could be for some kind of ritual sacrifice, possibly.

Or it could be used for collecting something like honey.

That's my ignorant guess.

P.S. -- I could have also been a map of the local river area, possibly pointing out the good fishing holes or delineating territories. The two squarish features on the right and left sides of the circle could have been used to indicate sun up, sun down. Or north and south. Maybe a map.

[edit on 30-3-2010 by Blue Shift]

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by spikey

Interesting facts, I haven't researched much on this, but would the tree design bear significance to the welsh/celts?

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Is it dry right now? I'm curious if any other images might show up if you did an etching over it with a piece of paper and a pencil. I'm also curious about what it would look like at night if you shined a fluorscent light on it. Have you tried either of those things?

[edit on 30-3-2010 by gazerstar]

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by hoghead cheese

If you are saying it has to be recent because of the algae/moss on the rest of the rock (including right against the carving) but no algae on the carving...
How do you propose it was carved then without disturbing the growth on the rock? I don't have any idea how old this thing is but I know that the moss/algae argument would be more proof of age than recent carving.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Very interesting glyph. Both times I noticed something to the right of the circle. The first time it looked like a leaf. It seems to be the same color as the carving - perhaps a second one? Next time you trek out there, snap a photo of it too.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Good eye. Good pic. Good point! However, a rocks patina (as is the patina of any aged object) is comprised of elements within the rock (or object) that are reactive to consistent exposure of contiguous elements. For instance if you were to partially bury a slab of Phyllite, then return years later to retrieve the slab, you would find a demarcation of the patina indicating the interment depth.
Phyllite is an igneous rock of Appalachia similar in appearance to the posted pic. Iron is an element commonly found within Phyllite. The concentration of iron and subsequent oxidization will affect its coloring (blue, black, red) and capability to reflect light. Compressed chlorite crystals create drift formations and unique contours. These contours support the adherence of moss or fungi. Notice the distinctive difference between the surface area of the carving and the surrounding rock. The surface area is relatively free of debris by comparison suggesting a recent adjustment of the contiguous elements. This adjustment has also affected the oxidization of the elements within the rock and subsequently the rocks pigmentation. It’s obvious the rock has been “cleaned “to showcase the carving. Pigmentation suggests this isn’t the first time. This in no way detracts from the significance of your discovery.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by kadyr80
Interesting facts, I haven't researched much on this, but would the tree design bear significance to the welsh/celts?

Well, the Celts have a symbolic "Tree of Life," but in that symbol the branches of the tree curve back down and link into the roots coming up out of the ground. The Vikings had tree symbols, but they were generally of full trees, not just branches.

But maybe it was carved by some wandering Buddhists, and it's really a Bodhi tree mandala.

I'd still like to know if it aligns north-south/east-west in any way. Maybe at a Solstice?

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
It could be a kind of portal, like others found in different parts or the world. Maybe you should try to go there and practice a meditation, then you could share with us any experience you had there.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join