It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange Rock Carving

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by kadyr80
I live in northeast alabama in the foothills of the appalachian mountains. It is a very little known fact that columbus was NOT the first european group to discover the americas, much less explore them.

Well, there were the Vikings in Newfoundland, ca AD 998...which is no secret.

In the 1300s prince madoc of wales landed in mobile bay and began an expedition northward through alabama....At that time there were set stone walls and ramparts, the remnants of six bodies wearing bronze welsh armor, and it was determined that the caves were additionally carved out by tools.

Could you cite your sources, please?

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

heres a "little" tidbit:
books.google.com... &ei=eS2yS_7CBIL48AbSnKjHAQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=10&ved=0CD8Q6AEwCTge#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Just some random digging...

"Near the head of Canoe Run there is a stone bearing a "turkeys claw" which when looked at in a certain waypoints to the spur jutting out from the ridge opposite the mouth of the run"
A legend in the community says that the marker indicates buried treasure..."

????? hmmmmmm!

page 29 in link above

[edit on 30-3-2010 by paratus]

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Oops, you stumbled upon a masonic sacrifice rock. The grooves collect the blood, and it drains into the river.

That's why so many stars for the guy wanting the map.

Also, it's 22 inches. Keep in mind Obama used 22 pens to sign the HCB.

[edit on 30-3-2010 by 911stinks]

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

this is a great site I use it often, I am not posting it for anyones rebutle...just so, maybe you can book mark it, I ma very avid in finding and chasing, Spanish convoys that came into the Americas, up rivers and such and this article has the best, and most, of the known expiditions I've found.....
www.enchantedlearning.com...

I like your aproach, and way you post.....warning...
I friended ya

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Give coordinates so that we can check the area out on Google Earth

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Holiday

this is a great site I use it often, I am not posting it for anyones rebutle...just so, maybe you can book mark it, I ma very avid in finding and chasing, Spanish convoys that came into the Americas, up rivers and such and this article has the best, and most, of the known expiditions I've found.....
www.enchantedlearning.com...

I like your aproach, and way you post.....warning...
I friended ya

Right back at'cha, Doc.

I eat this stuff up...I can cite more darn anomalies than most of the breathless posters on this site. But...the squelch on my Bravo Sierra detector is set way high.

The subject interests me, so I studied archaeology as a mature student. I've traveled to Newfoundland and Labrador looking at fer sure and possible pre-columbian sites, I have firsthand knowledge of many of these debates...Oak Island, the 'castle' at New Ross, etc. I have access to academic journals and the ear of professionals. But demand a higher grade of evidence, and suddenly one is part of the 'conspiracy of suppression'.

The Spaniards? I'll just bet...and I'd love to follow that trail. I'll check out that site you passed along. As to the Welsh...maybe...I simply ask the poster to prove it.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Here are several sources on the Welsh explorers in America.
Also I should add that I was mistaken in my memory of the date, it was 1170 when Madoc landed in Mobile Bay.

en.wikipedia.org...

www.mentonealabama.org...

www.annistonstar.com...

A little searching can yield many more if you would like further info.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Very interesting find,OP. I am also of the opinion to leave it be. It just seems that it should be left alone. My first impression was that of a sacrificial rock, you know with the grooves to let the blood flow off the rock.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
something tells me that this will end up with a "hoax" tag soon

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by kadyr80

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Here are several sources on the Welsh explorers in America.
Also I should add that I was mistaken in my memory of the date, it was 1170 when Madoc landed in Mobile Bay.

en.wikipedia.org...

From that site:

The Madoc story has been the subject of much speculation in the context of possible pre-Columbian trans-oceanic contact. However, no historical or archaeological proof of such a man or his voyages has been found in the New or Old World. Still, it has provided fertile inspiration for generations of poets and novelists, and cultural historians.
...and...

www.mentonealabama.org...

Many authorities vigorously agree that Madoc landed in Alabama and came on up into Tennessee and Georgia and that there are three forts which are of pre-Columbian origin. The forts were built in defense of a people, apparently in deadly fear of their lives.

...however, no sources...who are these authorities?

www.annistonstar.com...

...a link takes us to Alabama Welsh, whee we find the following quote:

Some Welsh scholars have long been skeptical, especially since the Madoc story was promoted in the 19th century by the bar Iolo Morganwg, someone not renowned for his devotion to accuracy in the sphere of history.
...and...

On 3rd of October, 1580, Dr. John Dee made an oral presentation to the English Council at Court where he summarized the Welsh Monks records: "The Lord Madoc, son of Owen Gwynedd, Prince of North Wales lead a colony and uninhabited in Terra Florida or thereabouts." The story was first published in A True Reporte of the late Discoveries of the Newfound Landes, written by Sir George Peckham in 1583. This document supported the first Queen Elizabeth's claim to the New World. www.alabamawelsh.com...
...emaphasis added by me.

The point being that none of this is proof of such. But...we digress.

I return to the easiest task...email the photo to a pro...see what develops.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
If I were you. I would take a metal detector up there and run it around that rock or close by it. Also look for other markings around if you can find anything. If it is indeed a Norse carving they use to mark spots where they have been and also been known to leave things were they have been. If you have access to a metal detector it might be a good Idea to sweep the area. Here is a post in a old ATS thread. Goodluck www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread299149/pg1

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by buckeyes38
If I were you. I would take a metal detector up there and run it around that rock or close by it. Also look for other markings around if you can find anything. If it is indeed a Norse carving they use to mark spots where they have been and also been known to leave things were they have been. If you have access to a metal detector it might be a good Idea to sweep the area. Here is a post in a old ATS thread. Goodluck www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread299149/pg1

Now...you have a metal detector and find an old Norse sword. You take it to the University, and show them what you found. They'll tell you what a pity it is you had to remove it from it's context, because a disturbed site is not going to change the paradigm. It's not as much fun as looting...but much more productive to leave it to the pros.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
reply to post by wylekat

Yes, I was thinking an ancient Spanish map. Or more recently the KGC, who buried treasure all over the place.

Why would the Kent Girls Choir be burying treasure in West Virginia?

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Interesting post...personally I have no real idea as to actual origin. If I had to guess, it looks old-Druid to my untrained eye.

BTW, this months issue of Alabama Heritage Magazine will have an interesting article on Welsh Prince Madoc for anyone interested.

alabamaheritage.com...

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Well I hate to admit it Michael Palin, erm, Johnny, but I agree with you. I kinda hate to agree with anyone on ATS fully--it's nothing personal

If this is indeed a find of something that is older than I suspect, it should be preserved and studied by qualified experts. Not conspiracy theorist layman.
Still I am interested to see how this plays out.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Knights of the Golden Circle used turkey foot inscriptions as treasure indicators.

I'd check the immediate surroundings and reference them in respect to the stone.
Eve if it is not lining up to be true with the creek bed, settling/shifting may have occurred.

The center of the circle would correlate with a possible "site" as would the rectangle on the outer ring.

are there any other similar markings on the outcrop?
could this all be weathering or erosion?
I've seen geode like embedded bubbles in rock that were reminiscent of this...

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Two questions I have -

1. Have you checked the local property descriptions at the county courthouse to see if it is a property marker?

2. Is there a possible grave nearby? A grave in our family dated 1805 has a similiar caprock.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   

The ancient symbol of eternity was a serpent in the form of a circle, the tail being placed in the mouth.

The simple circle, the figure which has neither beginning nor end, but returns continuously into itself, was also a symbol of eternity.

Could the anomoly on the right be a head of a serpent eating it's own tail?

See images mid way down on this page..

antinewworldorder.blogspot.com...

See bottom of page here for a serpent/circle around a tree.
www.piney.com...

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I've been wearing that same symbol around my neck since about 1990. It's silver on a silver chain, and it's (I was told) the Wiccan Tree of Life. Mine has more branches, though. My guess would be that a bunch of pagans (Wiccans et al) were out in the woods celebrating something like the Coming Of Spring, though they don't usually celebrate Beltane until the beginning of May, and that carving is just one of their doodles. I'm not Wiccan myself, though. It's just a necklace to me... and healthy, because it's pure silver. No religious significance. Probably has a lot to them, but sacrifices? I doubt it.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by xuenssy
something tells me that this will end up with a "hoax" tag soon

And what would the hoax be? That the carving isn't a carving? C'mon, now. It's a thread full of postulations and the OP isn't claiming it's a giant stone carving discarded from the deep loins of a prehistoric new age wildebeest from the planet 451-BYOB. The OP is wondering about the origins of a carving on a rock.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join