It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange Rock Carving

page: 20
<< 17  18  19   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by okbmd

I have worked doing back-country archaeology at a few places. One of my jobs was to go around monitoring archaeological sites to check for vandalism, erosion, or any other signs of disturbance. There are two carvings that are almost identical to this WV example on a boulder in one of the places I worked (in Kentucky). Like this one, it was also directly adjacent to water although the slab of rock these were on was much larger (you have to climb onto the boulder to be able to see them). Unfortunately, I don't have any pics or else I would share.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Im only on page 5, But I saw there were 20 pages and had to comment.

OP, (forget the rest of ya) lol
Someone who knows already told you all what is for but thats ok, pay no mind. lol

anyhow~

Dear OP~
Please take what professor rabbit had to say on this, seriously.
He is not wrong.

I feel you will probably take the 'right' route anyway.
But i just had to say it.

ohh,
cool, and 'lucky' find.

*but it should be covered back up.
it is in everyones best interest.
(well most everyone.)

[edit on 27-5-2010 by Ahmose]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Got a reply from the email I sent to the Forest Service archaeologist, and he said he agreed, "it is most likely a tar kiln". He has forwarded to two other FS archaeologists who specialize in this sort of thing, so I'll wait on their opinions, but there is little doubt to me that this is exactly what it is.

Job well done to godspunchline!

[edit on 2010/5/27 by nenothtu]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Alright. I've heard from the other two archaeologists, and it's unanimous. This rock carving is a tar kiln.

Case closed. Thanks to everyone for their input, and especially to godspunchline for finally solving the mystery!

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by godspunchline

Da.da.da.daaaaaaaa.da Da.da.da.daaaaaaaa.da Da.da.da.daaaaaaa.da Da.dadadaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Not quite the same witout the musical composition but you get the idea.Im thouroughly impressed. Do you have exierience in this field of archeology?

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Nenothtu... Find any thing else of interest?

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Nah, not lately. I'm back in NC for a while, in a city, so I'm not able to thrash around the wilderness as I'd prefer to do at the moment. Found some things that appear to be stromatolite fossils in the mountains in Virginia, but I've turned those over to a biologist at a university near here,so they can do the science on them, between the biology department and the geology department. No telling how old those were, but I can say that the last time that area was near sea level was during the early Carboniferous era, around 300 million years ago, so it was likely sometime before that. Now the fossils are on a mountain side about 2400 feet above sea level.

Another fossil from the same site was a round circle, like a donut, that had tiny bumps arranged in a pattern on it. Don't know exactly what it was, but the biologist said it looked like a lamprey's mouth, so I reckon it was part of some sort of sea creature from long ago.

I have high hopes of heading to the hills again shortly for a little trip, so who knows what I might trip over?

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   
i have seen a rock in the same general area of west virginia in a very unpopulated area that was carved in the perfect form of a native american looking face. it had obviously taken quite some time to perfectly form this face. it also appeared to be very old, but there is no way to tell.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   

No problem, I wasn't offended.

My family has lived in that area for over 150 years, and it was an uncle that found it, just last week, when he was out looking for some wild greens. I'm genuinely perplexed by it, since it doesn't really look like any Indian art from this general area that I'm familiar with. The rock paintings on Paint Lick Mountain just south of here in Virginia where I was raised myself lean towards animal figures - thunderbirds, turtles, what looks like a beaver to me, sunrises, and stick figures in canoes, that sort of thing. Nothing like this. The house my dad was raised in is around 500 meters up the hill from this particular carving, yet no one has ever reported it.

No one has lived in that area for probably 50 years or slightly more.

These links may interest you. There are old Celtic Ogham hieroglyphs in WV which some are suggesting predate Columbus' arrival. Controversial of course but interesting. Really intriguing is the the fact that David H. Kelley (of Maya glyph fame) agrees that the WV glyphs are in fact likely Celtic Ogham.

en.wikipedia.org...

www.irishcultureandcustoms.com... ... anNav.html

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   

edit on 9-10-2010 by testudo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

Why not try and call a local scholar at the nearest university or museum? Nice find by the way.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

Hello Nenothtu. If you still monitor this thread, could you please email me at [email protected] regarding the kiln stone. Thanks!

top topics

<< 17  18  19   >>

join