It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange Rock Carving

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

I’ve called in the troops (My Kin) I’m in the process of contacting a friend of the family with ties to the Archeological Society. My mother ( after regaling a short history of Celtic settlers and the Cherokee inhabitants of Blennerhasset Island) has proposed a feasible hypothesis which I’ve decided to research ( Leave it to mom, ever able to stifle my fantasies by dishing out a dose of common sense)

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

Are you familiar wih the Foxfire books?

There's a lot of articles that may be pertinent to your search. In addition to the crafts and Native folklore, there may even be one concerning your bursitis experience.

I attempted to search, but came up empty-handed.

I lack the tenacity of msamen, who I'm sure would enjoy those books as well.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by MsAmen

Sorry.

Meant to capitalize those letters in your nom de plume, but I'm really bad at this.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu
reply to post by okbmd

I've tinkered with pecking and grinding (mostly limestone and diorite), and don't think this was made by that method. Pecking usually leaves a "U" shaped channel, and in this carving, in the outer circle in particular, the bottom corners, while somewhat rounded, have a sharper angle than I would expect if it had been pecked out.

as a side note, just imagine how frustrating it is to peck out a little celt, maybe 3 or 4 inches long, and be mighty nigh finished after 4 or 5 days of meticulous pecking, only to have one of the final finishing blows turn it into a handful of gravel right before your eyes.

AARRGGHH!

All of the stone work here was done by stone on stone pecking.

Stone Work

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
OMG! GIDEONL-IM

Respect: Give credit where credit is due. U are way out of line. I am along with others are very interested in what the op had to say. Anyone else that can stick to the subject at hand also has interesting input and by the way who in the h3ll is GIA? or omg I should not ask of course this is an whole other subject.

[edit on 2-4-2010 by 1191julie]

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I just want to thank you...

NEONTHTU and MSAMEN so much for all your research and most of all for the post. It has been very interesting and great reading. I do get the feeling though that there may be something under this carving. Can you dig under it for I have not read this whole entire thread. Because this may be a clue?

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by 1191julie

I have been following this post too. Gia is the name you give Earth if you think of Earth as a living entity. If that poster shows up here again, I will push the "Ignore" button and he will just to away. There is a lot of information here on the history of the area and the race of red headed giants if very interesting. Supposedly, there were giants all over the earth at one time.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by zachi
reply to post by 1191julie

I have been following this post too. Gia is the name you give Earth if you think of Earth as a living entity. If that poster shows up here again, I will push the "Ignore" button and he will just to away. There is a lot of information here on the history of the area and the race of red headed giants if very interesting. Supposedly, there were giants all over the earth at one time.

Thanks for the heads up on "Gia is the name you give Earth" Not trying to disrespect. Yes that is a good idea on the ignore button. You say giants I will have to read more on that, very interesting thanks Zachi

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by spikey
reply to post by kadyr80

Nice one Kadyr80,

It's also little known, that 'America' was named after a Welshman, who funded John Cabot, a 15th century sailor on an expedition to the mainland. He was called Richard Amerike.

Maybe there's a connection to the Celts with this stone?

Must correct you no disrespect but a italian named
Amerigo Vespucci = America

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1191julie

Originally posted by spikey
reply to post by kadyr80

Nice one Kadyr80,

It's also little known, that 'America' was named after a Welshman, who funded John Cabot, a 15th century sailor on an expedition to the mainland. He was called Richard Amerike.

Maybe there's a connection to the Celts with this stone?

Must correct you no disrespect but a italian named
Amerigo Vespucci = America

Also suggested by Farley Mowat in The Alban Quest, that it was named after a tribe of European Celts known as Amoricans.

And out of the tons of hooey out there written about pre-Columbian visits to North America, this one actually seems worth paying attention to. A very well made case.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   
What if a small branch fell from a tree onto the rock and being in a stream mineral deposits formed covering the small branch forming what looks to be this Strange Rock Carving. Then the question is how was the circle formed around the branch? Lets assume at a later date after this branch was discovered inlaid in the rock someone came along and poured mortar in the shape of a circle highlighting the branch in the rock. ^Y^

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by amari

Sorry, the circle is below the surface of the rock, indicating that it is carved 'into' the rock. Mortar would, by necessity, be 'above' the surface of the rock.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Im still on the job. Ive dug up quite a bit of interesting material in regards to the Adena but Id like to wait for the response of this gentleman before I go Springer and post my final thouht.

Hi ....its ...., daughter. My mother is consistantly accusing me of of being a conspiracy nut. Im not. Im simply a scientist at heart. I always question everything.

Im a member of the topics forum Abovetopsecret.com.( I stick to the science, philosophy, and ancient civilization threads) Recently, I came across a pic posted by a gentlemen depicting a carving of sorts (a circled tree) there in WV.

Ive ben racking my brain researching, first to indentify the rock, ( I think its Phyllite) then igneous tribes( Adena, Conoy, Shawnee, and finally Welsh heritage) in an attempt to identify the carver and the carvers intentions.

Another poster had suggested this was a shield form for cold forging copper. Mom added that water erosion would've caused a fossilized imprint of the object had it sat there long enough.Others have suggested perhaps it was a map. I had thought maybe a stamp of territory due to the gentlmens revelation that the branches resemble the topography of surrounding hollows.

After further scrutinizing the photos and turning up no cooberating tribal artwork ( though tribes do record thier maps in the surrounding enviroment ) I tend to agree with mom and think the copper forging may be a good hypothosis.

I ve studied the erosion pattern and patina, it appears to be at least 100 yrs of age. Mom said your brother .... was an archeologist and may be able to shed some light. Similar figures have ben found throughout the lower part of the state. Here is the link I hope you can help.

Thanks

I will send the link to my brother to see what he thinks.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by 23refugee

Thanks for the suggestion! Ill have to add that to my list. I find archeological artifacts fascinating. To touch history is to bring the past to life. We may never walk in the shoes of our ancestors , but by sifting through the sand of legends and grasping whats true, we harness hindsight.

[edit on 3-4-2010 by MsAmen]

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Just want to thank the poster for sharing this with us.

I like the shield idea...that would be interesting.

But I also like the idea that this seems to be pointing towards the sun at certain times of a year. A place of reverence, with mother Earth, the cycles of life, the orders of the sun.

I agree with the other posters about not stepping on it. Just a vibe...

I also agree OP...about not giving away where the stone is and again, just appreciate you sharing what you have. The pics are great! Its just peaceful to look at it.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by 1191julie
I just want to thank you...

NEONTHTU and MSAMEN so much for all your research and most of all for the post. It has been very interesting and great reading. I do get the feeling though that there may be something under this carving. Can you dig under it for I have not read this whole entire thread. Because this may be a clue?

It's pretty well embedded in a stream, in a place that I have a hard time even standing up in to take the pictures, so digging underneath it on my own is pretty much out of the question. I think examining the surrounding area may be more productive, but si far I've not fould anything beyone what you would expect to see if mankind had never existed, other than the rock itself.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by amari
What if a small branch fell from a tree onto the rock and being in a stream mineral deposits formed covering the small branch forming what looks to be this Strange Rock Carving. Then the question is how was the circle formed around the branch? Lets assume at a later date after this branch was discovered inlaid in the rock someone came along and poured mortar in the shape of a circle highlighting the branch in the rock. ^Y^

The carvings are inletted into the rock, not standing in relief out of it. In that case, the tree branch would have had to indent the rock, and everything BUT the circle would have had to have been poured from mortar.

The carving of the 'tree' is fairly crude and angular in places, and doesn't really conform to any real branch. I've thought a couple of times in the past couple of days that it looks sort of like veins and stem in a round leaf, rather than a tree, but it could really go either way, I suppose.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Holiday

Just purusing for futher insight.

Doc Holiday?

Ah, yes. Well, this happens to be a nocturne...Tombstone

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Does the rock have some blue in it, or am I seeing things? Are those splotches of blue or something else? Thanks....

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu
reply to post by prof-rabbit

Prof, I e-mailed the full res pictures of the carving to you, per your request, but got a server timeout error message. The server said it was going to try a couple more times before giving up, and I haven't heard any more form it. Did you get them?

No, they didn't come through, I'll PM my address again in case I did a typo.

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join