It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Washington DC: All Police Radio Communication GONE

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Daylight with lots of customers is probably the safest bet.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
reply to post by dgtempe

I don't think ATS is a place to randomly "wonder"...with no facts to back up your theory.

If that is the case...I think the radio blackout was due to unicorns eating the generator...and they are just covering it up.

My "theory" has as much proof as yours...so let's run with it.

Not quite the same point as the OP made - don't get carried away...

Did I just say that?? Blimey... oO

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
Argh ... how stupid of them to inform the press, or even discuss it with the press.

All we need is all the criminals knowing that the cops can't communicate.

That is, unless they wanted to communicate exactly that - we are vulnerable.

ColoradoJens

Everybody is always vulnerable and everybody realizes it except (some) Americans. Life is not a completely safe ride for anybody. If I were you, I would just stop listening to your hysteric media that blows everything out of proportion, with threat level indicators and so on, and just live my life without the hysteria.

Originally posted by dragonsmusic
It's a test for folks on ATS. A psy-op just to see what we'll do

Yeah if they dont watch it, Im going to.... make another post on ATS! That will show them.

[edit on 30-3-2010 by Copernicus]

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
Oh wow! I knew there was something I forgot to do today!

1. Take out trash
2. Go to the store
3. Call mom
4. Go for a bike ride
5. Work on my tan
6. Take over the government

Hey I got the first 5 done does that count?

You got more than I did, forgot all 6...

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
The FBI is now reporting to TSA that at 1:55 today a non-specific bomb threat concerning the DC Metro. Metro has stepped up their law enforcement and K9 presence. Coincidence?

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ISO_TRUTH

I was at Union Station about an hour ago and there was a larger presence of K9s there.. I figured it was just a drill. Hmm.

Thanks for posting this OP. I had no idea, and I work here..

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Yes I work in DC as well and received an email warning us. I am walking to Union Station today!

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
This is weird stuff guys. What bothers me about it is the claim that generators are the issue. I work for a telcomm in Alaska, and our network is pretty much 3x backed up, as far as power is concerned.

Our power is generaly recieved from the electric company, but if they experience outages we have back up batteries that HAVE to be able to run for at least 8 hours. If the outage is extended we have generators.

Whatever the issue is, I would bet that's its more software than hardware. networks are desined nowadays to basically be a ring, if somebody cuts a a fiber-optic cable the information simply reroutes. At the speed of light.

I find it hard to believe all of DC's emergency communications rely on one input. The only conclusion I can come to then is that the issue is not with the pipe line, but with the programs controling it.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
LETS READ A LITTLE ABOUT THE DC POLICE DEPT SHALL WE.

For years the District of Columbia has provided public access to city operational data through the Internet. Now the District provides citizens with the access to 428 datasets from multiple agencies, a catalyst ensuring agencies operate as more responsive, better performing organizations. Use the data catalog below to subscribe to a live data feed in Atom format and access data in XML, Text/CSV, KML or ESRI Shapefile formats. Please note that by accessing the data catalog and feeds, you agree to our Terms of Use.

data.octo.dc.gov...

About the MPDC
One of the ten largest local police agencies in the United States, the MPDC is the primary law enforcement agency for the District of Columbia. Founded in 1861, the MPDC of today is on the forefront of technological crime fighting advances, from highly developed advances in evidence analysis to state-of the-art-information technology. These modern techniques are combined with a contemporary community policing philosophy, referred to as Customized Community Policing. Community policing bonds the police and residents in a working partnership designed to organize and mobilize residents, merchants and professionals to improve the quality of life for all who live, work, and visit the Nation's Capital.

Chief of Police Cathy L. Lanier serves as the Chief Executive Officer of the department. The Chief is responsible and accountable for all activities involving the Metropolitan Police Department and establishes professional standards that maintain a higher level of integrity and ethical conduct than is generally accepted of others.

mpdc.dc.gov...|31417|

About OUC

The mission of the Office of Unified Communications (OUC) is to provide a fast, professional, and cost-effective response to emergency and non-emergency calls in the District. The OUC was created in fiscal year 2005 and consolidates the emergency 911, non-emergency and 311 call activities from the Metropolitan Police Department (MPDC), Fire and Emergency Medical Services (FEMS), and customer service operations.

The OUC provides centralized, District-wide coordination and management of public safety voice radio technology and other public safety wireless communication systems and resources. The OUC performs the following:
Develops and enforces policy directives and standards regarding: public safety and non-public safety communications; operations and maintenance of public safety and non-public safety voice radio technology; management of the building facilities supporting public safety voice radio technology and call center technology; and
Reviews and approves all agency proposals, purchase orders, and contracts for the acquisition of public safety voice radio technology and call center technology systems, resources and services.
As an organization that is tasked with handling all 1.8 million 911 calls that occur in the District of Columbia each year, the OUC carries tremendous responsibility. In addition to fielding these life-dependent calls, the OUC also oversees all land and mobile radio systems tied to the response network. Select the links below to learn more about OUC systems, facilities and improvements.

AND MY PERSONAL FAVORITE, TAKE NOTE OF THE DATE AND THE FUNCTION THAT THIS OFFICE PROVIDES.!

March 29, 2010
The District of Columbia Office of Unified Communications Receives National Honor for 9-1-1 Program
(Washington, DC) The E9-1-1 Institute, in conjunction with National Emergency Number Association (NENA), the Association of Public-Safety Communications Officials (APCO), the National Association of State 9-1-1 Administrators (NASNA), the 9-1-1 Industry Alliance ("9IA") and the Congressional E9-1-1 Caucus, will present the Office of Unified Communications of Washington, DC, with the Outstanding 9-1-1 Program Award as part of the 7th annual “9-1-1 Honors Gala” Union Station.

The Outstanding 9-1-1 Program Award recognizes an innovative and forward looking plan to enhance the future viability of public emergency communications systems. The Office of Unified Communications in Washington, DC demonstrated a record for innovation and high-level performance, including most recently successfully processing a record setting 10,000 calls on the Inauguration Day of President Barack Obama.

The OUC received 1.3 million 911 calls in FY09, with an average speed of answer of one second. In addition, the OUC’s performance remains well above the industry standard that 90% of 911 calls be answered in ten seconds. In fact, in FY09 the OUC answered 96.4% of the District’s 911 calls within 5 seconds and YTD in FY10, the center is trending 98%.

The Office of Unified Communications is responsible for dispatch of the Metropolitan Police Department, as well as Fire and Emergency Medical Services and the public services within Washington, DC. During the inaugural events, the OUC dispatched from both their new state-of-the-art facility and the back-up facility, allowing the city to manage the large volume of incoming calls and handle what is perhaps the most high-profile event anywhere.

“The Office of Unified Communications for the District is a model of advanced technology, highly-trained professionals, and equipped to handle emergency communications for one of the most high-profile communities in the world,” said Gregory L. Rohde, Executive Director of the E9-1-1 Institute. “The City and OUC have truly done a remarkable job to build and operate a 9-1-1 call center ready to respond to all emergencies, big and small.”

Oh No you dint, oh yes I Did!

[edit on 30-3-2010 by HappilyEverAfter]

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Here are some interesting links (download before they get pulled!):

They spent $36.6 MILLION to "upgrade" this radio system in 2003:
www.henney.com...

Map of DC Emergency Radio towers:
www.henney.com...

PHOTOS! of every tower location (are they insane for putting this info on the internet?):
www.henney.com...

Note page 3 and 4 of the PHOTOS document, supposedly that's where the electrical outage occurred, but I see not information about power outages anywhere in DC last night. Which is fishy.

I doubt it was a power outage.

Note in this article, that the police union spokes person hints that the system went down earlier this month (WTF!?). Which is strange because no one else mentioned anything about it.

[edit on 30-3-2010 by harrytuttle]

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ManWithGrace89

Starting to sound more like a cyber attack. And with all the K-9 activity makes one raise an eyebrow.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Sounds like "something" more than a hiccup.
The award for the communications office on the very day of the frequency fart is a little slap in the face isnt it?
State of the art system?
Me smells a whale astern, laddy!

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Copernicus

Everybody is always vulnerable and everybody realizes it except (some) Americans. Life is not a completely safe ride for anybody.

Yes. Americans are quite literally expecting the world to be made safe for them. Here in Florida, we had a family sue a municipality over a shark bite? They claimed the Atlantic Ocean should have been made safer, or that the municipality should have had better warnings?

But, this was indeed an important breaking story, a clear case of piss-poor preparation and technology, and it reminds me of NOLA and Katrina. Similar problems, but at least they had a major catastrophe to blame. DC will probably end up blaming this on a random squirrell that happened to chew through layers and layers of backups and just happened to hit all major components for massive failure of all systems?

Either it is not a conspiracy, and therefore it is extremely disturbing that our system is that antiquated and vulnerable. OR It is a conspiracy, and therefore it is extremely disturbing that our system is that corrupt and blatantly manipulated.

Either way . . . .

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Ok ... I'm going to share something with you guys.

Keep in mind, I cannot verify it, prove it, or anything of that nature ...

About an hour ago I spoke with a good friend of mine who is an officer in the DC Metro Police.

He is a friend that I have known for about 22 years and who almost always shares information with me. This time he was very hesitant to even discuss this topic, but this is what he said in general terms ...

Basically he told me that DC Metro Police have been upgrading their digital radio software for the last month or so and that the whole thing is a mess. Last night was apparently the switchover and the whole thing went to hell with the software. He would not give me further details and I have no way of confirming if what he said is true or if is a further obfuscation. Truth is we're friends but not to the degree that he would put his career on the line to disclose something more secretive with me, nor for that matter would I ask him to.

I asked what they were thinking talking to the press and he said they had to. The press listen to the police frequencies and they started asking questions when the whole thing went silent. Apparently they didn't want to discuss the software issues so they went with a "maybe a generator, to be determined" angle.

That is all I got from him and not wanting to push him too much we moved on to other things.

Now ... I pondered sharing this because I'm really not interested in defending my word. Plus I'm in no way saying that he's telling me the truth. So I'm going to go look for any information relating to the implementation of a new communications system to see myself if the story holds water.

Any help will be appreciated.

Edit to add:

This is one of the comments from the WP article:

An entire radio tower could go down in flames and analog systems using fifty year old technology could still function.

DC's new quarter-billion dollar system failed entirely probably because of a software upgrade made earlier in the day. A far more reliable system could be had surplus off eBay for less than $1,000. Considering what happened last night, DC would have been better off with two cups and a string.

Every government agency in the area has been sold a bill of goods with these computer controlled trunking radios. After drinking the Motorola Kool-Aid, DC took things a step further by simply mothballing their existing analog system entirely. They have ZERO redundancy for all public safety communications for the Nation's Capital.

Last night, DC Fire found itself having to use Montgomery and Arlington County's system and the police had to take calls handed out from a parking lot.

Slick salesmen, unscrupulous politicians and clueless administrators have added up to a quarter billion dollar boondoggle which puts public safety and national security at serious risk. voices.washingtonpost.com...

So it seems that what he's telling me isn't really that secret and is pretty much common knowledge.

[edit on 30 Mar 2010 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Sound's like even the police union rep. is upset about this, good video, and article....

www.myfoxdc.com...

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Thanks for the extra info./insight SD - always a bonus to hear from someone who has personal knowledge/perspective and is on site... (i.e. your friend)

[edit on 30-3-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Good job man! I kinda suspected that's what was going on. It's the software that holds everything together, and god forbid you add a couple extra zero's. The only real conspiracy here is, why throw all of their eggs into one basket like that? Very foolish.

But then again, not as foolish as the idea that their entire network depends on one generator.

[edit on 30-3-2010 by ManWithGrace89]

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Wow, thank you all, and you
Schro, for that information! I had a feeling we would find out a bit more today.

Well, supposedly all is fine now, and thats good.

Thank you.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I don't think Washington is under attack, or defenseless, because the government wouldn't tell the public that they have any problems with their security.
On the contrary, that would be amazing if Washington is under attack. But that would suck if the US got nuked and destroyed by Iran, and Iraq.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grayelf2009

Starting to sound more like a cyber attack.

That's called spin. Fear-mongering to justify controlling the Free Web. Most likely, the GPS got hacked. ...Or maybe SD's info is good - bad hardware.

...Thanks SD for the inside scoop.

oops x2

[edit on 30-3-2010 by soficrow]

[edit on 30-3-2010 by soficrow]

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join