It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What If Christians Were More Like Christ?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth

Originally posted by Wang Tang
If all Christians were Christ-like, there would be another war against Islam and possibly other world religions because of a clash in ideals.

Dude!! That's already happening!! What do you think this "war on terrorism" crappolla is really all about? It's strictly centered around religion. Come on!! Certainly you realize that much.

[edit on 30-3-2010 by SpeakerofTruth]

It certainly is not strictly centered around religion, it is mostly about imperialism and getting oil to fuel the U.S. Economy and spreading democracy; there is not much evidence to support that the War on Terrorism is a religious war. It is a country against an extremist sect of a religion.

With that said, there may be Christian motives behind the War on Terror, but I have yet to see convincing evidence to support this.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Wang Tang

LOL.... Wow.... Just Wow....

The Islamic and Christian Attempt

As made clear by the experience of September 11 and its aftermath, the United States is operating at a distinct disadvantage when it comes to dealing with conflict that involves a significant religious component. Indeed, the principal reason religious terrorism poses such a difficult challenge is because we as a nation-state have virtually no capability to understand this phenomenon, let alone deal with it. For most of our country’s existence, religion has effectively been off the policymaker’s screen—a victim of enlightenment prejudice and its accompanying assumption that religion would have a declining influence in the affairs of state. Tied closely to this has been our ongoing commitment to the rational-actor model of decision-making, which effectively excludes religion as an irrational factor. As a result and as made abundantly clear by our experience in Iraq, the United States has little, if any, ability to deal with religious differences in a hostile setting. Nor does it have any ability to counter demagogues like Bin Laden or Milosovic, who manipulate religion for their own purposes.

Yes, it is

How can you say it's not a religious war with a straight face? How?

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

I am saying it with a straight face, so clearly you don't understand me.

As you said, our country is not a religious country. Our government is not a religious government. So how does our country fight in a religious war?

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Hmmm...modern day 'Christians' trying to emulate the Good Rebbe, the supposed founder of their so-called religion....hmmm

Well for one thing they would have to learn galilean Aramaic, which is a trick and a half for most English Speaking (ahem) 'Christians' who can barely master Koine Greek or even simple Latin.

Then they'd have to become circumcised Jews, and be very sure not to cut their fore-locks, and not wear linen and cotten together, and start obeying the laws of Moses ('even more scrupulously than the Sofrim !') , then start giving ALL their money away to the poor (and I DO mean ALL), then be sure to always be eating Kashrut, and then they'd have to offer 3-times a year sacrifices in a Jerusalem Temple (oh wait a minute, the gentiles destroyed that part, scratch that one) all of course while waiting for the Day of Vengeance of their desert clan god for the End of Days Judgement and the Great War Against all the 'sons of darkness' (i.e. the goyim = gentiles, non jews) - oh wait a minute, that already happened (AD 70) and, well look how THAT turned out...never mind !

Well, I suppose they could go around instead living with a bunch of men in a commune with a common purse begging from other sons of light waiting for the 'acceptable day of YHWH' so they can one day take them all up a hill and arm them with swords and start cutting off some serious ears of anyone who tried to arrest them, all the while screaming at their deluded followers : Fear not he who can kill your body ! fear only HE who can destroy BOTH your body and your soul in the eternal fires of Hinnom !

Like some kind of suicide bomber on a mission...oh martyrdom, it's so sweet - gets you right into heaven !!

But ruliing bodies of governments like the US for example look askance at persons who arm their disciples with real weapons on Invasion Anniversaries (as they did on the hill that night, celebrating the 100 years of foreign 'ritually-unclean-idolatrous' Gentile Occupation since the day Pompey marched on Jerusalem in BC 63 --- and they had the nerve to STAY as occupiers -- all the way to Passover in AD 36 and beyond--but then again, looked how THAT turned out.

And how many (ahem) persons to-day who style themselves 'Christians' ()whatever the heck THAT means) would volunteer to be stripped, whipped 60 times with a cat o 9-tails, then spread-eagled on a post with an anal plug and having your ankles and wrists nailed right through the bone to a piece of upright wood, stark-naked --only to be castrated then de-bowlled on a gibbet with a sign of your crimes printed in 3 languages over your head?

[edit on 30-3-2010 by Sigismundus]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by freetree64

Well if it makes you feel any better, the Bible decrees that we all fail as Christians. We are all helpless sinners. God knows that. He EXPECTS us to disappoint him. Even at times when it counts the most. Recognizing and accepting this is one of the first steps to finding your path because only then can you act with not fear but with love and understanding. And, almost as importantly, without judging others. You will be far better equipped to do the Lord's work having realized that you are no better than the worst of His flock, being that you are all equal in his eyes. So it can be a very good thing that you realize this, it is something that most people cannot get past. They have to believe that THEY are special... That THEY have so much to teach others and yet nothing they can learn from others. The truth is any one of us could learn a lot about life and the structure of our society and limitless other things just from spending some time talking to a homeless person. You can learn something from EVERYONE, if you are listening that is...
Once you realize these things, you are equipped to make your way through life learning, teaching, and growing and developing as a person in ways you never anticipated. Growing older isn't all that bad as long as you have spent your time wisely growing and developing mentally physically and spiritually. I'm only 29 but I can appreciate the differences in myself since I was 25, 20, 15... and it's been a good journey. Yes, I've experienced horrible things too. But I truly believe these experiences can be turned around into a good thing to build character and help you grow wiser and such as well... if ONLY you can let go of the FEAR!
Moving on, yes I think we have to face the fact that Satan has infiltrated most of the whole movement. Our brothers and sisters in church are showing a blatant disdain for Christ's teachings in enormous numbers. Embracing violence, whether it be against abortionists, gays, Muslims, etc., And it seems like I always see people who, even if they just started going to church a few months ago, always seem to look down on people who either don't go to church or people who have some problem with sin that they don't currently have, rather than remembering "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." Because we ALL have problems with sinning! Maybe you like to gamble away your kids college fund, and I like to sell my food stamps for crack coc aine, and that guy over there spies on his neighbor while furiously... reading the Bible, and his neighbor works at McDonald's and steals out of the register once in a while to help feed his family, and his manager beats his wife. And of course it gets extreme on both ends of the spectrum. The fact is, we all sin. And it's been proven on the movie "Trading Places" with Dan Akroyd and Eddy Murphy that the sins we commit are all based on circumstance. Just kidding, but that's a good movie and I believe it's a true theory. Maybe there's a study somewhere. But I think you can take a rich guy who has no reason to steal or commit a crime and if you take away everything he has, he will become a criminal. And the homeless person who used to steal hubcaps could be rehabilitated and take the rich guys place. We're not all exactly the same, but we are a lot alike, that's for sure. Most of us would steal to eat if our situation changed, and probably do more in order to pay bills and pay for other wants and needs...I've SEEN it happen.
Another thing that really bothers me are those Christians who are all for throwing a few bucks into the collection plate and call it good as far as "doing God's work" because they figure that money may go to a soup kitchen. Let someone ELSE actually serve some poor person the soup. And then they shrink away in horror when they actually come face to face with some poor person on the streets who needs their help. It especially bothers me that people think that by putting an obscenely large amount into the plate, that they are now in a better status in God's eyes. Everybody is so disconnected from each other nowadays. People are afraid that every person is out there to kill them or worse. So much so that people are refusing to help each other. I'm not saying don't be smart, because there ARE sickos out there who pretend to have their car broke down. But there are a lot of ways to help people without putting yourself in danger. Use the old noggin, that's what God expects you to do. He doesn't expect you to run away to your car and lock the door every time someone approaches you just because you heard a scary story on the news. Besides, remember the story of Jesus and his desciples on that boat in the storm? If you truly do believe that you have Jesus in your heart then you aren't supposed to be afraid of anything. I've gone extreme lengths to prove I am being protected, even though I know you aren't supposed to do stuff like that, but it's an interesting story... Anyway, if someone strange walks toward you and it makes you feel uncomfortable, hold your hand out flat (in the "halt" position) and say "That's close enough, what do you need? Sorry but I don't know you. And I can hear you from here." And if they don't stop right away, obviously don't finish the whole spiel if they are obviously coming for you with ill intent, just use your best judgment The Devil uses fear to divide us... Now it's "fear of each other". Divide and conquer, that's what's happening to all the churches today. It's going to get worse. The Bible says so, so we can count on it. Just got to hang on to the true teachings and not fall into that trap of judgmental, intolerant, unkind, fear-based crud that's going around. The Bible also said that their would be a small percentage of believers who are doing it "the right way" and these are the ones who will be raptured. So spread the message and save as many souls as possible, and the Christians church may need the saving the most... save them from themselves...if they wanna be saved. Kinda funny, thinking of mounting a mission to the Christian church to convert them BACK to real Christianity...LOL! Yes, the LORD has a sense of humor! He knew we would need to have one as well in order to make it in "these times". Well God Bless and just know that it's not all gloom n doom for us all. But we have work to do!

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by doctor j and inmate c5779

Okay, doc,

I will tell you why I am really pissed off.

God said we were going to fail, full stop?

I am really angry about that.

How dare He say we were going to fail?

And, since we are going to fail, what the hell?

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:38 AM
link   
The greatest simple truth is Salvation lies within each being.
Christ told us ,or are we deaf?
Buddhism lays out the blueprint, but oh yes busy lives screwing our fellow man buying the faster car the bigger house the most beautiful family....we are all lost yet we think the losers are the poor and unpopular.
Want to know wisdom?
Its the opposite of he who thinks he is a winner,and closes his door to the night of suffering losers.

He is the grinner who knows nothing.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:54 AM
link   
And yet again I see we have the unthinking, uncritical nonsense that Jesus was ultimately some kind of moral teacher (when his morality would not have been a surprise to Plato). And that the Christian idea of God and Jesus is all-accepting. It's plainly not so. The idea is of an all-forgiving God, but not an all-accepting one. Repenting for sins leads to forgiveness. Refusal to do so, and pursuit of evil does not lead to acceptance, just because of God's own submissive love.

Jesus was not prepared to put up with sin. And his idea of what was sin included "spiritual" sin, not merely "practical" sin (which it seems is all the world cares about now). Cf. the traders in the temple; and his injunction to the prostitute to "go away and sin no more".

If we were more like Christ, we would not be all abuot forgiveness at all costs. We would be all about eliminating sin and evil. If it can't be eliminated by repentance and turning away from it, then it must be eliminated by force. There is no other way if you are God/Christ.

Cheers.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by d60944
And yet again I see we have the unthinking, uncritical nonsense that Jesus was ultimately some kind of moral teacher (when his morality would not have been a surprise to Plato). And that the Christian idea of God and Jesus is all-accepting. It's plainly not so. The idea is of an all-forgiving God, but not an all-accepting one. Repenting for sins leads to forgiveness. Refusal to do so, and pursuit of evil does not lead to acceptance, just because of God's own submissive love.

Jesus was not prepared to put up with sin. And his idea of what was sin included "spiritual" sin, not merely "practical" sin (which it seems is all the world cares about now). Cf. the traders in the temple; and his injunction to the prostitute to "go away and sin no more".

If we were more like Christ, we would not be all abuot forgiveness at all costs. We would be all about eliminating sin and evil. If it can't be eliminated by repentance and turning away from it, then it must be eliminated by force. There is no other way if you are God/Christ.

Cheers.

Your post is spot on , in reality this is what so called societys and nations do in the name of their God.
They fail however to acknowledge they are themselves transparently sinful ...but alas do not advocate their own destruction.
Hypocrisy is almost laughable yet we are all afflicted with it.
If sin is to be conquered by force then no on ewill be left standing and sin will have killed the last and every one of us?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join