It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you think HADES/HELL/etc is real? Or a made-up thing?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
"not a one of you has the courage to address what I have said. How interesting."

Are you referring to the possibility of us living inside a simulation?

I read the article you linked. I have a degree in Psychology, and have enjoyed reading/writing papers of my own.

The idea that we are existing in a simulation is non-falsifiable; it cannot be proven true or untrue.

In the case of the existence of a hell as described in the Bible:

If we make the assumption that the Bible is true, then hell exists.
If we make the assumption that the Bible is only a collection of stories, then hell does not exist.

All knowledge rests upon assumptions.

There are two paths to ponder the existence of hell, the recountings of NDE experiencers and Biblical/religious references.

Unfortunately there are no alternate routes to ponder hell given the "simulation hypothesis"--either we exist as real, biological entities, or we are merely programs...with no possible way of knowing what our true state is.

I find it more likely that there is a physical/spiritual existence as opposed to a physical/digital existence.

But again, I have no proof, only my belief.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by nomorecruelty

[edit on 30/3/2010 by Dark Ghost]

God allows satan to "exist" in order to "use" him to fulfill His plans for us on Earth. Satan knows he is a dead man walking, and he also knows that his time here is short, and it's all coming down to the wire. That is why you see all the talk now about the satanic influences within our music - satan knows the way to get the kids is through music. I.e. Lady Gaga, Madonna, Manson, Ozzy, JayZ, Beyonce, etc.

that is an idiotic statement. i bet you would blame marilyn manson for columbine as well

you make me laugh

here is a statement tfor you taht i doubt you can debunk with as much effort as you have

"Is [God] willing to prevent evil, but not able? then is he impotent. Is he able, but not willing? then is he malevolent. Is he both able and willing? whence then is evil?"-Epicurus.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Religion is such a scam in my opinion. It may be blunt of me to say, but why would there exist a hell or a heaven? To punish/reward humans after their life? For what purpose? It seems very "human" to me to see things in black and white. We want rewards for being good and we want others punished for being bad. Nobody else thinks like that.

So no, I dont believe anybody will judge us after this life except maybe ourselves if this existence is like a classroom. But remember this... good cant exist without evil. Evil cant exist without good. In order to learn, we need both pain and love. Hence we should be thankful that this world is filled with both - that is, IF this is a classroom. I hope it is. I hope there is a point to it. And I think there is.

[edit on 30-3-2010 by Copernicus]

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
There is no hell right now. But there will be a hell later on. Count on it.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Tormentations

watch chu talkin bout'?

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
" But remember this... good cant exist without evil. Evil cant exist without good. "

i disagree. thats like saying "darkness can't exist without light" when darkness is just the absense of light.

evil is the absense of good.

people corrupting religion is a scam, kind of like the pope (sorry catholics!) but christ is the head of the church, not some human.

i believe simply because the evidence points toward a god, and the bible makes sense and has supporting evidence in history and physics.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
These NDE are just natural '___' experiences that your brain causes when it thinks your dying. When you die your brain releases many chemicals including '___', which can cause you to believe your being abducted by aliens, meeting God, and even drifting in a abyss of nothingness...

It is just between psychological underlying and how your body accepts the chemical that causes a certain reaction to take place. Some people see the bright lights, some see the hellfire, some experience completely random things.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ClinTrojan
These NDE are just natural '___' experiences that your brain causes when it thinks your dying. When you die your brain releases many chemicals including '___', which can cause you to believe your being abducted by aliens, meeting God, and even drifting in a abyss of nothingness...

It is just between psychological underlying and how your body accepts the chemical that causes a certain reaction to take place. Some people see the bright lights, some see the hellfire, some experience completely random things.

thats what ive been trying to tell people!!!
bravo

but no one listens they just want to cling to their imaginary god

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker

You appear to like youtube docs Mr OT, here's a nice documentary discussing Satan and hell. Should you take the trouble to watch and do some reading on the subject matter the answer you seek to "Is hell real" will be spelled out to you ie it is an imaginary place.

Hell did not even exist in the old testament, so that would imply that if it were a real place then your god did not invent it until the new testament and even then rather vaguely.

Given that your primary source material is the the bibles and that these scriptures tend to be erroneous, and often times incorporating elements of other religions it would be fair to conclude that hell is merely a construct of the imagination of the superstitious mind.

Needless to say fearful imaginary constructs can be abused by those more educated people in order to control the weak minded, and a pretty good job has been done with the hell myth.

Enjoy and learn -

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by nomorecruelty

Satan is working very hard to deceive us into believing that there is no such place as hell -

Well he did a bloody good job with the Jews as they had no idea about the place, the nearest thing they had was a dump.

Here's another video that Mr OT may like, amazing a little education can banish most superstitious fears and lead to a happy life.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

Either the teachings have been corrupted from their original words or the deity we believe is God has a very evil/cruel side

If your god created everything then logically it created evil, if hell is real then your god created it to torment that which it created, indeed it would appear that your god and your satan are one and the same being.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Ah, scoffers, scoffers, scoffers - you all sound as if you even have your own selves convinced.

As time goes by, and more things happen related to the prophecies in the Bible, I think you'll be changing your views on God, the Bible, Heaven and hell. That is how it's meant to be - the end days grow progressively worse and worse with each day/week/month/year - to try to convince people that they need to repent and turn back, or turn TO, God.

Howevahhhh....... the Bible says that some of these same people will fight tooth and nail til the very end - against Jesus.

Satan has managed to create doubt in this generation's minds that hell is just a scare tactic to make people behave. When did this happen? My guess would be whichever Bible "translation" (all but the King James Bible) first first started replacing the word "hell" with "Hades", and "satan" with "the destroyer". Just fyi, the NIV removes or changes 65,000 words as compared to the King James Bible

It might be interesting to track that information down - but I can bet it was close to, if not the, New International Version. If not that one, then either the Amplified, New American Standard, New King James.....etc.

satan, via mankind, has watered down the true Gospel - making hell appear less "graphic" and less "real". And it seems to have worked - because this last generation especially, now thinks that 'hell' and 'satan' are just fictional characters. Think that was by accident? Nope, think again - .............

Did you know that Zondervan, who published The New International Version (NIV) is owned by Harper Collins - who also publish "The Satanic Bible" and "The Joy of Gay Sex"?

And you say you 'deny ignorance'..........?

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by piedsniper
reply to [url=http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread556505

Hell did not even exist in the old testament, so that would imply that if it were a real place then your god did not invent it until the new testament and even then rather vaguely.

Given that your primary source material is the the bibles and that these scriptures tend to be erroneous, and often times incorporating elements of other religions it would be fair to conclude that hell is merely a construct of the imagination of the superstitious mind.

Cats didn't "exist" either - in the Old Testament. Maybe they aren't "real" either?

And why is it that non believers will use the Bible for reference to try to make their point, at the same time they denounce it.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
Either the teachings have been corrupted from their original words or the deity we believe is God has a very evil/cruel side. Nobody knows for sure, but to demonstrate how ridiculous this idea of Hell is, I will give you an example.

Imagine I create video game where I am given Godlike powers. I can create anything and everything I want as quickly and accurately as I want. There is no limit to what I can create and there is no creation that does not come from me. (Every single character of code that is created in this game has derived from the code I have created. It is impossible for anything to be out of my control because everything in this game comes from me and my code).

Now imagine I start to create beings. Eventually I create a very complex and intricate world where the number of variables are astounding - not to me, but to the creations within my world. I eventually create Angels that are given extra power above all other creations in this world. I eventually find out that one of the Angels has created a place where he can tempt creations below him to enter. In this place creations are tortured and tormented for eternity. I can pretend the place does not exist, but that would mean I the creator am lying to myself. (In actuality I could make myself pretend I don't know, but what would this make me?)

Now, even if I did not have the foresight to see one of my Angels creating this place of perpetual suffering, I am aware that it exists. I am certain that many of my own creations are destined to a perpetual life of torture but I tell them that all they need to do is believe in me and follow my teachings to be spared from this place.

If Hell does exist as a physical location, then God KNOWS that the majority of his creations are destined to a life of perpetual suffering from which they cannot escape. That he allows this place to continue to exist, to continue to allow one of his fallen Angels to tempt people to this place knowing the consequences for their souls suggests that God is not a loving, righteous God.

Does it even phase you that you are comparing God, our Creator, to a human playing a video game?

You should ask yourself this pondering question............ how would *you* expect God to dole out punishment or accountability to humans?

Do you honestly think that He should just send us to our rooms without dinner?

What is it with humans, non believers and some believers as well - that feel they/we are so entitled to a God that allows us to do darned well what we please, to who we please, when we please and for any reason we please - without discipline or any sort of consequences?

God laid out His laws for us - we screwed those up, and continue to screw those up by blatantly breaking them every day.

He gave us the Bible as our instructions while here on Earth, He even went so far as to put the top ten in writing, yes in stone, for us.

It was, and is, OUR choice that causes us to break those laws - we have NO ONE to blame for that but US.

But now mankind is still whining about how He isn't a just or fair God? That He has an evil side to Him? ?

Don't continue to be deceived - any "evil" rests squarely on the shoulders of mankind - and satan.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Wasn't hell just a rubbish tip?

Actual Picture of Hell

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ashanu90

that is an idiotic statement. i bet you would blame marilyn manson for columbine as well

You should spend a few minutes researching - you might be surprised.

And "blame" is a far cry from "influencing". No one can make you commit a crime, but you can be "influenced" by music, in the same way as people are able to be hypnotized.

I don't "blame" Manson for Columbine - but according to the authorities, Manson was a huge influence in those two boy's lives - i.e. music, posters, concerts, etc.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Hiya OT,

Originally posted by OldThinker
If it is not, why did the Lord Jesus Christ “HAVE TO” die?

The Jews wanted him dead for Sedition. He broke their laws, he wanted to see or create change in his culture, and the then PTB must have seen him as a threat to their way of life... so they had him killed without getting blood on their own hands.

Was he mis-informed?
Considering everyone was in those times via the indoctrinations of the Hebrew Faith then Yes he would have been too since he was raised in a Hebrew household.

There are over 162 references in the New Testament which warn of Hell.
Pretty good scare tactic then huh. Say it then reinforce it over and over.

Was he delusional?
No. He was a modern thinker stuck in an old-world culture. Therefore he had to use the words and concepts of that culture to get his ideas across, which I think is responsible for our present misunderstandings on his "mission".

Is it all just a story written by men?
Yes, and many, many years after the supposed facts.

See: five personal stories of hell here: www.thelakeoffire.com...
Did they just have too much pizza, before bedtime? Or was what they experienced real?
Mmmmm, Pizza.

No. What they experienced was what they Believed about themselves and reality based solely on their belief-system and Indoctrinations from birth.

..... “to go to hell…. you MF!” …think he meant that?
Not really, at least he had some manners in as much as he didn't say "F... off you c..." or chase you and attack you with a length of pipe.

When people have NDE's they always see and experience what they believe they should. It comes as no wonder then that so many think they have seen Jesus.. the white-skinned, long-haired and bearded rendition of modern white cultures.. which interestingly enough is exactly how many "higher-selves" or representations of one's Soul appear. This is an Archetype used to instill the thoughts of being wise and advanced spirits.

As for Hell, it is a Control Drama used for far too long. What better way to have people convert and stay within the safe confines of that Belief-System than to tell them they will go to Eternal Damnation for any Sin... anything outside that religions limitations.

Have a look at a movie called "What Dreams May Come" with Robin Williams. It has some absolutely brilliant concepts based on my own experiences of the higher realms beyond the physical. It displays adequately the idea that we experience what we believe or think we should after death, and that most people create their own reality after the dropping-away of the physical body.

[edit on 30-3-2010 by Tayesin]

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Cats didn't "exist" either - in the Old Testament. Maybe they aren't "real" either?

Lions are mentioned several times and they happen to be cats

And why is it that non believers will use the Bible for reference to try to make their point, at the same time they denounce it.

Simply because the bibles are your only source of reference, there is nothing new you can bring too the table and your source reference is easily debunked.

The believers circular responses normally fall in this order -

I know is true the bible says so

Atheist asks for evidence

The bible is gods' word

Atheists asks for evidence

The bible was inspired by god

Atheist asks which parts

The bible was written by men inspired by god

Again the atheist asks which parts

You have to understand it in context

Atheist asks whose context the men who wrote it but not inspired by a god?

I just choose to believe it is true

Atheist points out that does not make it true just wishful thinking .

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   

It was, and is, OUR choice that causes us to break those laws - we have NO ONE to blame for that but US.

This is positively ridiculous idea, how is it possible to act in a way contrary to the way you were created to act if the alleged creator created everything that there is ?

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by piedsniper

wow great video id like to see christians try to debunk that

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join