It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Toy Rockets now require ATF background checks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2003 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Toy Rockets Now Require ATF Permits and Background Checks Under Homeland Security

www.washtimes.com...

posted on Mar, 3 2003 @ 11:11 PM
link   
"Because these records are kept primarily in the permit holder's home, it subjects the home to ATF visits, said Sen. Michael B. Enzi, Wyoming Republican, who is working to change the law."

You have got to be kidding!!! But seriously, thanks for the post for those of us who need to be further enlightened about the threat to our civil liberties.

posted on Mar, 3 2003 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Civil Liberties???

Oh yeah, I think I remember those, something we used to have.....

posted on Mar, 4 2003 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Speaking as an amateur rocketeer, it's niether surprising nor unexpected -- NOR unusual.

Rocket engines are explosives. Some of them are high powered explosives. We can't transport them via airplane (which means if you're going to a meet, you either drive or arrange to buy at the location) and you have to be careful about how you handle and store them (which reminds me, I need to go out and finish off firing a set of motors I have.)

They're dangerous. The serious hobbyists know this. If the legislators haven't been around the hobby lately, they may not know that we need to get FAA clearance for launches (this is a safety precaution and we all follow it. It's not some sort of bureaucratic boondoggle.)

That said, the smaller stuff should probably be exempted but I wouldn't be surprised/disappointed/upset if they tracked the motors that were higher than Class D.

(you can do a fair amount of damage with a Class D motor, but some of those bigger ones are VERY dangerous!)

posted on Mar, 5 2003 @ 12:15 PM
link   
with Class D and less being exempt...

I'm certainly not planning to call up the FAA every time I want to launch a rocket with my little cousin at a local field. Nor am I planning on filling out paperwork in triplicate to do so....

posted on Mar, 5 2003 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I can't launch anything bigger than D-engine in my area.
You have too go to certain areas to launch bigger rockets.These area's do not allow small aircraft to fly overhead.(so i've been told)
I can't imagine the government trying to track the smaller engines.I think it would be way too much work,with no results.

posted on Mar, 5 2003 @ 12:54 PM
link   
These are just the hobby rockets we're talking about? The ones with the small engines of a couple inches. the D engine, perhaps the dimensions of a roll of quarters?

Or are they talking about something else.

I've used rockets with D (and isn't there a slightly larger E). Me and my son love this stuff, though we're not really 'into it'. If there are larger rockets I can make, someone tell about that!!!

And, if they are going to restrict D and below - I think it's poppycock.

posted on Mar, 5 2003 @ 01:02 PM
link   
There are much bigger engines Bob88.I think they are called G and H,maybe some bigger ones too.You should some of these rockets,there huge,go thousands of feet up.I was looking at one a few months ago,the parachute had to be at least 4ft in diameter.

new topics

top topics

join