It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sell-off in US Treasuries Raises Sovereign Debt Fears

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by David9176
WE NEED TARIFFS ON OUR IMPORTS. You can put the taxes down to nothing and it will still not stop the outsourcing of jobs because our freakin tariffs are too low.

If we don't change our trade laws...we are as good as cooked.

The government won't impose tariffs anytime soon.

The government is owned by the same class that also owns the corporations that have moved overseas.

Businesses and corporations with a sense of patriotism and a willingness to not only profit for themselves but improve American society are screwed both ways from burdensome government and foreign (profiting investor class) competition.

We have boon cooking a long time, it is just now that the water has started to boil.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Subjective Truth
reply to post by HunkaHunka

I am sorry but you always make such a easy target. Lets see I am fine but everything else around me is falling. Hmm and also I cant leave the country with my money and assets because of new laws.

Seriously do you need me to draw you a picture or what? It will not matter what you have or if you are debt free it will matter how much survival skills you have. Money means nothing when it is worth nothing.

You still haven't explained what the OP meant when he/she said "Get out of debt now... if you remember the late 70's early 80's you'll know what I mean" is referring to. That's what I asked him.

Once again you have proven to be a troll by deflecting away from my question. Unless you have an answer to it, I suggest you refrain from replying... as that is the true definition of troll.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Call me crazy, call me stupid, call me whatever you want.

I believe the governments are trying to keep the economy as stable as possible for as long as possible. They are trying to stop it from crashing for as long as they can. Why? Because I honestly believe that something major is going to happen to earth in 2012, and they know it. This is why they are spending so much money. They are preparing themselves and a select few to survive, while not telling the rest of the public. Their only favor to us, is not letting the system crash until it absolutely has to. Then the world will be thrown into chaos, while they go and hide in their underground shelters and hope to survive whatever is coming. Just look at denver airport. Just look at the georgia guidestones. Just look at the seed vault. And most importantly, just look at how the government seems to have made no plans whatsoever for a future beyond 2012. Every major economy in the world has a foreseen crash in 2012. All national debts are due, which can't be paid back. We're talking war. When one can't pay the other, they do what drug dealers do to each other. Shoot first. Enjoy what is left the economy. And hope I am wrong.

[edit on 30-3-2010 by xxshadowfaxx]

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 02:27 AM
link   
If it gets worse ........it gets worse. Many are jobless, especially in the state Jacksonville, FL. Bridgeport, Connecticut where I was traveling had jobless.

Everyone talks about the failing economy of America. It's getting worldWIDE.

The 1999 movie Titanic is starting to show us how it is now in 2010 (two thousand and ten), with the Rich places and the Poor places. Then will America spiral to even old worse times with HUNDREDS standing in line at LABOR POOLS? The American Dream should be ALIVE.

I mean back in 1930's science fiction they were seeing the future as REALLY GREAT. COOL STUFF, not THIS.

I hope not and that America will show an abundant economy again. America doesn't need wars as that is a result to show its country's power over others when in competition. Especially with war technology in these times. We have to think positive.

[edit on 30-3-2010 by FungShuiMyLife]

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

I also was around in the 70's and 80's, I remember in Australia getting 15% for deposit funds, and on my first home mortgage the interest rate I was paying reached 16%.

Luckily I only had a $50k mortgage, but it was all relative as I only earnt $350 per week, man it was tough even with two of us on wages, we held off having our kids after we got married becoz we were to stressed out paying the bank interest.

We were lucky we lived in a mining town and managed to hold bot jobs down... kids today may see it get even tougher

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by xxshadowfaxx

My friend, I belive that you are 100 percent on the money....... all indicators point to this just as you have stated..... they are trying to go about as if everything is going to be fine, but we all know different..

No hard decisions are being made to reduce debt, all that is being done is to quiten the masses down by offering a few carrots... all of which are bought on debt, whoch can never be repaid....

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Whats to reply to? By your own statement you are not in real debt..You are one of the lucky ones.
BTW I lived throught the 80's and was paying 18% on my house loan. How would that affect your repayments?? Most would fold is what the OP is saying and I agree..

There is more bad news to come...

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by virgom129

Whats to reply to? By your own statement you are not in real debt..You are one of the lucky ones.

Ok... so that's what I thought... thank you for clearing that up.

It's not luck... it's allergy to debt :-) I had a failed marriage in 2002 and was "awarded" all the debt in the settlement. I put myself in the right places at the right times, and had a few windfalls. I paid off all that debt over the course of 3-4 years so that I could be able to buy a house some day again, which is what I did.

I get shivers just thinking about debt outside of my mortgage.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by xxshadowfaxx

I believe the governments are trying to keep the economy as stable as possible for as long as possible. They are trying to stop it from crashing for as long as they can. Why? Because I honestly believe that something major is going to happen to earth in 2012, and they know it. This is why they are spending so much money. They are preparing themselves and a select few to survive, while not telling the rest of the public. Their only favor to us, is not letting the system crash until it absolutely has to. Then the world will be thrown into chaos, while they go and hide in their underground shelters and hope to survive whatever is coming. Just look at denver airport. Just look at the georgia guidestones. Just look at the seed vault. And most importantly, just look at how the government seems to have made no plans whatsoever for a future beyond 2012. Every major economy in the world has a foreseen crash in 2012. All national debts are due, which can't be paid back. We're talking war. When one can't pay the other, they do what drug dealers do to each other. Shoot first. Enjoy what is left the economy. And hope I am wrong.

Read my mind....

Seems logical to me.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gools

...Those who remember the late 70's and early 80's know what I'm talking about. This time there is no second wage earner to go out and get work.

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

I do remember the late 70's, early 80's. It was Jimmy Carter's "Hyper-Stagflation". The rapid rise in both interest rates and consumer goods with a stagnant growth in productivity and higher unemployment. Back then, if you had cash, you could lock-in high, long term interest on your CD's. My mom had one that paid 11% interest per year for 9 years!

IMO, this time it will be much worse. This time, we have depression era unemployment and a worthless currency in addition to everything else. So, locking-in high interest rate, long term CD's may not be wise, since the currency itsself will be worthless. It will be much like Germany in the early 20's. It took wheel-barrow loads of cash to buy a loaf of bread. Inflation was so bad that workers were paid a daily salery for work done and immediately rushed out to spend it all that day, because the next day the money would be worth less.

Best way to prepare for this, IMO, is buy silver coins and stash away somewhere safe, other than a bank to be used as barter to acquire needed goods when currency is a joke. Bank Saf-T-Boxes will be sealed during an "economic emergency" and valuable contents could be confiscated by TPTB.

Hang on and good luck!!!

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by xxshadowfaxx

Well at least someone is paying attention. Good post.

Money does not disappear until the Fed. Res. raises interest and takes it back. So the wealth only get transferred to someone else.
Where the hell did 10's of Trillions go missing to over the last decade????

Anyone? Anyone?

Bueller?? Bueller??

The biggest problem with the next couple of years and what is happing now is, there are too many unanswered questions. If there are serious questions left by several different peoples of the past that have a common point, would it not be smart to try and answer them?
I think they have the answer already.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Brilliant, pertinent, as per usual Gools. S&F

Originally posted by bobs_uruncle
reply to post by Zosynspiracy

They have screwed us both north and south of the US/Canada border and you're right, it's all about jobs. ....Between the machine shop losses due to lost manufacturing and call centers alone, I would figure that is a loss of about a million to 2 million jobs between the US and Canada.

This is what the government has done to appease the banks and the multinationals. We have all been sacrificed on the alter of greed.

Cheers - Dave

All true. But don't forget: a lot of manufacturing and call center jobs have moved into private US prisons. And the US prison population jumped from about 175,000 back in the 1970's to what? about 3 million today?

2,304,115 were incarcerated in U.S. prisons and jails in 2008.

...There are many ways to feed greed and build a global corporatocracy. All of this just barely scratches the surface.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jazz87

Originally posted by xxshadowfaxx

Read my mind....

Seems logical to me.

I’m with the two of you on this. Do you remember what Obama looked like after coming out of the meeting with the previous Presidents right after being elected? He was white as a ghost! I’m not trying to be funny. Go back and look at the video. He got told something life changing.

No one seems to question all the missing money and the money currently being spent that can’t be paid back. I would say to people around me, what the hell are they doing spending that much? They will never be able to pay this off. It will take generations. Have they lost their minds? Then I realized the obvious reality. They don’t plan on having to pay it back! When Bush was questioned about what many considered as bad decisions he said “I will be vindicated in the future”.

I thought if 911 were perpetrated by our government why would they do it? For control and power? To take our guns? Maybe, but I don’t think the military and top brass old timers would ever go along with it. Too many of them have given their lives for this country. I know they wouldn’t throw us under the bus unless they thought they were doing it for the right reason. I think they think they are doing something noble and for the overall good of our nation.

Something is coming and the know it. They are lying and hiding the massive spending necessary to prepare for it. Their job is to preserve our government at all costs. I’m guessing they are doing their job!

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Yeah, I've got to agree with Shadow and others, the debt does not matter, they are keeping us as stable as possible until something big comes. (At least that's what it feels like is happening) Another example of collecting all our money and using for their secret purposes...the healthcare bill...are we not supposed to be taxed on this in the near future, but will see no benefits until 2014? Convenient if you ask me, just more funds for their underground bunkers...

Being an avid ATS reader, it is easy to get caught up in all the cr#p that is happening around the world, but whenever I think about this concept, of world catastophy, it kind of puts everything else in perspective for a while. Meaning, don't sweat the small (or even big) stuff. Live life, prepare for the worst and stay as far away from the trouble makers as possible.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I with you guys, something is definetly up and they know and pray we won't find out until it's too late.

www.youtube.com...

Maybe this was after the meeting someone mentioned where he was white as a ghost. Not his typical body language or fanfare.

A thought on the mortgage fiasco and the re-writing of mortgages forced by the gov't......Couldn't they then use that as precedent to re-write those who have low fixed rates to higher rates when the spiral starts?

It could get VERY interesting over the next year, GOD HELP US ALL.

1st post btw - long time lurker

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I think this might be it.

www.youtube.com...

Why would Obama request a meeting with Bush and the other Presidents before he had officially taken office? Its one thing to invite them all to the White House after becoming President but he requested that Bush set up the meeting? Odd don’t you think. The economy was the word of the day. I think Obama found out more than we where close to economic collapse. Everyone knew we where in trouble. Why would he need to meet with the other Presidents on the economy? Something doesn’t sit right with me on this meeting.

This is an article from that day.
White House spokeswoman Dana Perino said the last time all of the living presidents got together at the White House was in 1981, and she called Wednesday's meeting a "historic moment."
She said the president was "delighted" to host the luncheon.
"Each of them expressed their desire for President-elect Obama to have a very successful presidency. During the lunch, they had a wide-ranging discussion on many different issues facing the United States, and they all look forward to remaining in contact in the future," Perino said.
The meeting marked the second time Bush has hosted Obama since the election. Obama suggested the meeting with all of the former presidents when he and Bush first met in November.
Perino said earlier she didn't know what they would talk about, but she said she'd love to be able to hear it.
"I'm sure all of us would love to be flies on the wall and listening to that conversation," Perino said during Tuesday's daily news briefing.
www.cnn.com...

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   

I remember the late 70's.
A stagnating economy, high interest rates and high unemployment.
Oops, I forgot inflation.

I remember driving 4 hours one way to work heavy construction as a laborer for $2.00/hr under the table. This was just after graduating high school.

It sucked.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Alright, everyone is coming to the same conclusion. I have seen probably 100 people so far on ATS, that have postulated that "something" is going to happen and that the government does not seem to care about running the currency over a cliff.

Think about this. People that do not have their heads up their ass, have been saying for about 10 years that what we are doing is unsustainable. That over the long run, will only destroy the fiat currency system

With the last couple years dumping the kind of fiat currency levels into the world economy at the initial end would cause a flattening effect but only being a band aid for a heart attack.

I have come to one of two conclusions. Something catastrophic or they plan on eliminating the current fiat systems. If the latter, maybe to install a new fiat system, whereby all past debts are forgiven, or to actually go back to a true commodity based currency and all past debts are forgiven.

Everyones guess is as good as mine. Whatever it is, think back to Reagan, he initiated the debt storm and also the final looting of all the social funds.

So to me, this would have been around the time that whatever it was, was discovered or seen to be coming to a head. So was the economy or the social systems seen then to be unsustainable?

Well damn Conspiracy Theorists, come up with some theories!

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I think alot of people have been saying it's unsustainable, just recently the MSM is having to admit it. That to me is a major indicator.

I listen to a financial show that has always said stocks, mutual funds, invest for the future, inflation is low, interest is low, blah blah blah. last weekend they were providing tips to work around the upcoming hyper-inflation.

Social Security for the first time this year will spend more than it takes in. That my friends is a MAJOR PROBLEM; so another BIG MINUS on the books that has previously been a plus to the general fund.
(Perhaps this is why they HAD to have 'Health Care' as the taxes are immediate and the payouts are 2013-2014 implementation.)

Quick Math:
Deficit: $14,000,000,000,000 (Fourteen Trillion Dollars)
From first post interest rate: 3.9%
increase of 30 basis points = 0.3% = 0.003
Interest ONLY per year of $14T = $546,000,000,000 (Five Hundred-Forty-Six Billion Dollars)
Increase from the 30 basis points - $42,000,000,000 (Forty-Two Billion Dollars)
That is an over 7.5% increase in INTEREST ONLY.

At that rate it won't take very long to erradicate the dollar.

Conspiracy theories as to WHY ???????

1) They know the boat is sinking and they want to stay above water for as long as possible.
2) 2012 isn't just a date, it's the end (at least as we know it) and they the bills won't matter soon, just survival will.
3) NWO, one world government is coming and all financial transactions and accounts payable/receivable will be frozen, reamortized, and reissued under some new currency.

#1 - 40% #2 - 30% #3 - 20% Something else - 10%

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gools

Those who remember the late 70's and early 80's know what I'm talking about. This time there is no second wage earner to go out and get work.

Yes, I still remember the pain of the interest rate on my mortgage. I remember the pain of going from a $80,000 a year job with full benefits to $7 an hour in a tire shop and having to move a thousand miles to get that. Oil billionaires were dropping like flies.

Lets hope we don't see the price fixing fiasco rear its ugly head again. This Administration has the same mindset that lead to all of that. Mortgage rates went as high as 21%.

Two Jimmy Carters in one lifetime is two too many. Ignore history and never look back is a bad game plan, but it is the Progressive way of doing things. History, what history
Just erase it from the history books, put on a Che T-Shirt and turn on the printing press. Buy those votes! Buy those votes! Give em free government cheese and they will vote for anything!

"Some Girls" was great though. Still one of my favorite Stones albums.

I've been patiently awaiting the inflation bogeyman to crawl from under the bed. New Entitlements do tend to wake him up; especially ones the size of Mount Everest. Who ya gonna call? Ghostbusters won't do much good.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join