It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking: Humans are "Entering a Stage of Self-Designed Evolution"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
www.dailygalaxy.com...

Quote from source:
In the past decade, we’ve examined our Solar System’s orbit through the Milky Way to ask whether there may be clues to periodic mass extinctions on our planet. We've launched missions seeking out habitable Alien Earths and the existence of dark energy and have migrated from wondering if there's life on Mars to searching out and studying myriads of exo planets in the Milky Way and infinite galaxies beyond. Our incredible advances have also underscored own, very human limitations — our eyes, notes astronomer James Kaler in his new book, Heaven’s Touch: From Killer Stars to the Seeds of Life, How We Are Connected to the Universe, see wavelengths between 0.00004 and 0.00008 of a centimeter. Kaler calls our visual spectrum “…but one octave on an imaginary electromagnetic piano with a keyboard hundreds of kilometers long.”

Physicist Stephen Hawking believes that we have entered a new phase of evolution. "At first, evolution proceeded by natural selection, from random mutations. This Darwinian phase, lasted about three and a half billion years, and produced us, beings who developed language, to exchange information."

But what distinguishes us from our cave man ancestors is the knowledge that we have accumulated over the last ten thousand years, and particularly, Hawking points out, over the last three hundred.

"I think it is legitimate to take a broader view, and include externally transmitted information, as well as DNA, in the evolution of the human race," Hawking said.

I wanted to post this because I really like this concept.

I like that we will be able to evolve evolution into something that we control. It will be a great thing when we can make ourselves adapt to certain aspects of what we want. We could evolve our eyes to what we want, our hearing to what we want. I could not see how this is a bad thing.

If we were not meant to have this knowledge we wouldn't. I do not see dogs out there trying to advance themselves. We have been given a great gift of knowledge and consciousness why would we not use it to the full potential?

Can't wait to see other opinions of this...

Any thoughts?

Pred...

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I have to agree, in principle with you that we have been given the gifts of discovery, learning, and imagination.

With these, we can literally shape the universe around us.

Sadly, there are still far too many people with wicked hearts, that do not see that life is special, unique and sacred. As a result, we often see our discoveries perverted into terrible and desctructive inventions.

Take the atom bomb, for example.

Instead of being used for peace, and exploration, the desire to split the atom was a military one, and one that cost tens of thousands of lives, and still does today in limited fashion.

It will be a wonderful world when we learn to put our selfish needs aside and work for one another instead of oneself.

It's a proven fact that when we work as a team, more is accomplished... unfortunately, most of us haven't worked this out yet, and we are all too concerned with how much junk we haven't yet acquired.

Thinking about it, when we do learn to put material desires aside, we can really begin to explore and learn about the universe around us. I rather hope I'm still alive when that happens - I'd like to get out and about in the solar system.

[edit on 29-3-2010 by dampnickers]

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by dampnickers

I see your point but I also think that people are wicked because they are products of our society.

I do not think there are 'bad' people out there. I think our society values power, money & sex, with those as our values there are bound to be people that go haywire.

Our society needs changing not our people. Couldn't this technology have some sort of impact on that?

Pred...

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

That's a good thought.

I have often wondered what impact technology has on the communities we live in.

If you truly think about it for a minute though, you'll see that the technology we use tends to reinforce this idea of materialism.

The games consoles we buy are geared to be replaced within a set period of time. The DVD players, and BluRay recorders all seem to "break down" just when the warranty expires. The neighbour has the latest 900000" HDTV, so you have to have one too, just to "compete". The end result is that we work ever harder to buy the latest gadgets.

I wonder how many of us DON'T take our latest mobile phone to work/the pub/etc. to show off to our friends. Very few I suspect.

Back to the crux of the topic though, I am rapidly warming to this idea that the "ether" of the universe around us, has a great influence on us, and that we are indeed seeing a change in the human race, and that our own intellectual development is accelerating that change, or having some sort of effect.

I'm rather excited about the possibilities that await us, and will certainly enjoy being a part of the show.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by dampnickers

See I get you. I personally love electronics, but not because someone else has them but because I just love them.

I have very little envy in me and I think to each his own, but many people see the world differently. They want to be the coolest, richest or most envied of people they know.

I love what I love and that's it. I try to keep up on electronics, but I do a lot of research on what I am going to buy, if it suites me, and at a good price range. I will not buy anything because someone else has something better.

I think people are tired of 'keeping up with the jones.'' I think they have had enough, and yes people can look perfect on the outside, but we all know everyone's family has certain quirks about them.

I, too, wish that something is happening and our species is changing away from the materialistic society we have. I would not thought blame technology for that. If we used technology for the proper things, ie. education, then it would be a different story.

If we only had educational channels or movies it would be different. There are a lot of educational things out there now but you have to pay attention to find/see them. I always have had an ipod, but very rarely is there music on them. I have a job where I am alone all day and I put audio books on them, or audio courses. I figure if I am going to spend that much time where I could be using my time for good things why not?

I don't know, it goes back down to I am an optimist, and like to see the world as getting better. I think that if we were all negative then we are only feeding the machine. But hey, maybe that's just me.

Pred...

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Glad to see that Hawkins is slooowly getting up to the speed of what Kurzweil has been saying for years upon years now.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   

I have to agree with you. I suppose it is just a case of seeing how it all turns out now.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   

How We Are Connected to the Universe, see wavelengths between 0.00004 and 0.00008 of a centimeter. Kaler calls our visual spectrum “…but one octave on an imaginary electromagnetic piano with a keyboard hundreds of kilometers long.”

Beautiful words, poetry. However I don't think that mankind has ANY control about the paths the life is going thru. I mean, we achieved an advanced technological stage, but we are still acting like wild primates or even worst. This current civilization doesn't respect nature, doesn't respect life itself. The superpower nations built weapons enough to destroy entire solar system. They spend zillions of resources to finance their wars, in the other hand entire continents suffer in poverty and epidemics created by laboratories of major corporations involved in military experiments. What evolution is Hawking talking about???
Something VERY wrong with these scientific geniuses, as Hawking, is that they disclose everything they know about our solar system. I really doubt he's unaware that there's a periodic cycle of re-colonization and re-building of ciivilizations, after each cataclysm that occurs on Earth. And this process is carried by very advanced extraterrestrial intelligences. Earth is a gold mine, a candy shop, a rare pearl in this galaxy. A planet capable to support a massive amount of life forms. Certainly this planet is priority in ANY extraterrestrial agenda. Everything that happens here, is monitored. Our "evolution" IS NOT in our hands. The several increase of human abductions suggests in few time, a new hybrid humanoid race may be installed here, we don't know much about what is gonna happen with us. I guess we failed, this civilization failed. I don't think we are in such stange of "self designed evolution". The destiny of these world is not in our hands.

[edit on 29-3-2010 by ucalien]

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I can't help but think that this evolution has already been going on.
Some people are starting to look beyond what we are told to. We are becoming peaceful by nature (the ones that are not, will wipe themselves out via unpeaceful means).

Some can meditate and see beyond this world, into solar systems possible beyond our own. Amazing stuff.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

I agree. Evolution never stops though. There was not one creature that gave birth to another species, but to us, to mark it into categories helps us. We are constantly evolving and will never stop, now we need to start controlling it.

Pred...

new topics

top topics

join