It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coyote/ Wolf Hybrid Making It's Presence Known

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Hello,
I know Coyotes are not exactly mythical beasts, but it is interesting that the north eastern coyote has been found to have timber wolf DNA in its make up and they are proliferating and becoming more bold and less frightened by people. These clever guys are starting to extend their boundaries and encroach on human habitat including my own. More on that further below.

Bigger than coyotes but smaller than wolves, their howl is high-pitched and their diet includes deer and small rodents. They are "coywolves" (pronounced "coy," as in playful, "wolves"), and they are flourishing in the northeastern U.S., according to a study published today in Biology Letters.To get a sense of the pedigree of coyotes in the area, Kays and his colleagues examined the genetic material from samples—mostly tissue, hides and skulls—that museums had archived. The source of these samples was itself a sign of the coywolves' success. As Kays points out, specimens came from hunters who killed the dogs in an effort to stem the growing population. Based on the genetic analyses, the team concluded that mating between female coyotes and male wolves was abundant. The researchers also noted that the coywolves have larger, stronger jaws and bigger skulls overall than the so-called straight western coyotes.

www.scientificamerican.com...

Bancroft had his own run-in with a coyote several years ago when he was alone in the woods.

"A coyote came straight at me. It happened very, very quickly. It stopped and I just stood my ground, I didn't act," he said. "It actually regrouped and charged again. And I think the fact that I didn't act like a prey item convinced it to leave me alone."

www.cbc.ca...

A New Brunswick woman who wrestled with a coyote Wednesday was still shaken hours afterwards but managed to walk away needing only a tetanus shot and a bandage.... "It started trying to bite at me ...All I could see was teeth. I just covered my head with both my hands like that and swinging off punches when I could," she said in an interview, with clumps of her hair still visible in the snow.The ordeal with the coyote lasted about 10 minutes.

"Finally, it went to go at my neck and my jaw, " she said. "And I just seen it there and I just got my left and went right at its mouth, and I connected with the mouth and the coyote yelped."

www.cbc.ca...

These are images of coyote/wolf hybrids that my wife and I have captured that are coming around our place and not running away when confronted. We have two larger dogs but feel (know) that coyote/wolves would handle them quite easily. My wife and I are both in the works of getting our firearms license and getting a vermin rifle. I wish no harm on these beautiful animals however the choice would be an easy one if it came down to them or my dogs.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a0e87d9d55ca.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c20d53e41637.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cc431f08e3e9.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/48025966c259.jpg[/atsimg]

You can notice how these animals are beefier than your average coyote, and the coloration is much more wolf like. My wife works at the Vet College here where we live. Her colleague who works in post mortem reported having heard of coyotes that weigh as much as 100 -120 pounds albeit rare. Very beautiful animals that are starting to fight back and carve out a place for themselves in this competitive world amongst humans. Seems as if we are the ones who are having to adapt.
Good on them I love their persistence and will to survive.

[edit on 29-3-2010 by sparrowstail]

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Wolves are such beautiful monsters. We have a pure white one in my area. I believe it is from a domesticated litter that escapes now and then...the thing is freaking huge.

I bring my dogs (two pitbulls) for a walk down to this big area where they can run around and the damn wolf scared the crap out of me..was watching my dogs playing and running around to the north...looked behind me and seen this giant white wolf just looking at me about 30 yards from me...

I inched towards my dogs a bit and the wolf almost lock stepped with me..moving a few inches when I moved a few inches...then sit down and just watch when I stopped.

Luckily my dogs didn't see it when they came back to me...I leashed them real quick before they caught a glimpse..and just stood there.

Eventually the dogs noticed the wolf and went into alert mode...bit of a staredown. I know they are pitbulls, but they are the wimpy version of pitbulls that will end up getting pwned.

I grabbed a metal pipe that was close, expecting this all to go downhill quick...and for a couple minutes I tried yelling at the wolf to go home..it just stood there (there is only one path to where I was...canal makes a complete loop and the wolf was directly in the center).

Eventually my roommate came walking the 3rd dog. A chiuaua...
The little dog seen the wolf and man...you never seen a dog so determined to attack...the little teacup sized animal was in full charge as much as the leash would allow...barking and growling and all sorts.

The wolf seen the little guy coming at him...and promptly ran away.

So...goes to show you...Dogs have no concept of size, only attitude. The chiuaua is a 20 foot monster that bullies all the dogs in the neighborhood, and I guess now bullys the wolves.

(incidently, I see the wolf almost everyday...just follows me around...I have concluded its a very timid but curious domesticated animal...but I wont test my theory anytime soon.)

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Wow that is quite a story. I agree with you that I wouldn't want to test your theory about small dog big dog syndrome
I know these coywolves are predators. They have attacked livestock in neighboring fields and have confronted the farmer and even surrounded him and watched him. He is elderly and has a hard time walking through the deep snow. I know the coyotes are waiting for a weak moment. They have even entered my immediate back mowed lawn area adjacent to a pasture with cattle and calves. This has freaked my wife out and now she is super paranoid and hyper sensitive to the whole issue and her babies (dogs)

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Saturn, I would looooove to see a pic if you ever get the opportunity my U2U is always open. To the OP, very nice pics. Thanks for the thread!

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
We have these here too. I take my daughter to the bus in the morning and they are out and about at dawn. Bold as brass. One came loping across my back pasture one morning... Tongue lolling out, and got within about 30 feet of us before veering left across the highway. He made eye contact and everything. I swear he was laughing. They are bigger than coyote's. Not just more solid, but taller as well.

I remember a friend of mine in Texas saying that they were seeing more and more big, bold coyote's. He thought it was simply evolution filling a niche. That was about 12 years ago though. I wonder if they have taken any DNA samples from there?

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by redhorse

These canines are really smart and it seems are quite happy filling any niche that is presented to them.

Here's a link to a photo of a big western coyote taken in Corvallis Oregon. They do seem bigger than usua.l

www.suite101.com...

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
This is a great thread. First time I've looked through the cryptozoology section and this caught my eye. As said before me, the pictures are great. We have a lot of coyotes around here (Missouri). They are clever but for the most part stay away from people. Seeing coywolves kind of feels to me like we are seeing evolution happen.
Thanks for the thread!

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by redhorse
We have these here too. I take my daughter to the bus in the morning and they are out and about at dawn. Bold as brass. One came loping across my back pasture one morning... Tongue lolling out, and got within about 30 feet of us before veering left across the highway. He made eye contact and everything. I swear he was laughing. They are bigger than coyote's. Not just more solid, but taller as well.

I remember a friend of mine in Texas saying that they were seeing more and more big, bold coyote's. He thought it was simply evolution filling a niche. That was about 12 years ago though. I wonder if they have taken any DNA samples from there?

This is so strange. I just saw one run over on the interstate. I was trying to determine if it was a wolf or coyote. It wasn't as big as a wolf but had the coloring and was bigger than a coyote. Also a friend of mine told me two nights ago that he just saw "the biggest coyote" he's ever seen and it was not afraid of him at all. I'm in SE Texas.

I may see if Texas A&M has any info on the Texas animals. If I find anything I'll post it here.

ETA 3-29-10 - Didn't easily find contact info at A&M but did find a website on wolves that has youtube videos for the education on wolves (www.wolf.org). I've sent them an e-mail regarding research on Texas animals. I will post the answer I receive.

[edit on 3/29/2010 by TXTriker]

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Two dudes, two pitbulls and one chihuahua... The wolf just thought "Naaaah... another time when you weren't with your gang..."

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by zamo1993
They are clever but for the most part stay away from people. Seeing coywolves kind of feels to me like we are seeing evolution happen.

You're right it is evolution in motion. And I am sure that this hybridization has probably made them a heck of a lot smarter. Now they have more diversity in their gene pool. I have heard some stories around here from hunters that say coyotes know how to just stay out of rifle range. And how inexperienced hunters can "educate" the coyotes to stay away from or interpret predator calls that hunters use.

Remember Jurassic Park? "Tricky bast@rds!!"

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I live in Ohio 12 miles west of Wheeling, WV. We have coyotes everywhere, have a group on my land with pups right now. I also have two European bred Sable German Shepherds out, and the coyotes still come within 100 yards of our home when the dogs are tied off at times in the day, and at night. The other night down by our pond all Hades broke lose, yips, howls, and puppy-type sounds. I video'd one two weeks ago from my bathroom window in the field, and in about five minutes it pounced on four rodents, playing with one on the snow before swallowing it. Back in the 80's, the country north of us they estimated had 2,000 coyotes. And yes, they are getting bigger and bigger. Some old DNA from the migration from out West years ago, some from what I think are Wolf-hybrids people buy thinking they can handle, end up not being able, and turning them loose. We also have "Coy-dogs", which are VERY dangerous. When I was a teenager, 4-5 of them circled my friends and I in ever-smaller circles until we shot our guns- we didn't have the heart to shoot them being dog- lovers, but would have if they didn't run. People need to be very careful with their pets, and especially their children. We live on 40-plus acreas, way off the road. We WILL NOT let my kids walk our drive from the bus even though they are old enough. Also, you don't want to eliminate "good" coyotes that eat rodents, as they keep out competitors that may be "bad" ie eat livestock, pets, etc. Those heavy weights are not typical either. The ave. coyote is 30-35, and to date the biggest one shot locally was 65 lbs.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Found this link just tonight- 120-140 pound WOLF shot in NW Ohio this month!
toledoblade.com...

Includes a picture with the article. Suspected of being a hybrid- that is a big animal in relation to the guy who shot him. It says a PACK has been spotted in that vicinity, which would negate the pet hybrid theory before official tests can be done. The closest wolf population is 350 miles away in MI Upper Penn. I read a collared pack has been documented going as far as 470 miles before, which is also unlikely as they would be "top dog" in most of MI just south of the UP, finding plenty of prey closer to the home range. Amazing. This guy is almost as heavy as my two German Shepherds COMBINED. So, they would have their hands full with this guy.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Ronbo111

Wow that guy is one mean looking wolf even with X's for eyes and his tongue hanging out. Strange coloration too. I agree with what you said about them being very dangerous especially around children. I remember years ago in New Brunswick they talked about coy-dogs. Much lore and speculation on the part of hunters, farmers and such. Many biologists doubted it because of the whole interbreeding species thing that they thought was not possible. Seems now that its more more possible than previously thought.

I know we are just going to be hearing more and more stories coming out about these animals interfering with humans. Kinda scary because when you think of the intelligence of these breeds when combined with mixes of dogs and wolves, we are seeing the development of a super predator that is extremely opportunistic, and off the chart smart.

My wish is that we can gain a very good understanding of these animals instead of the typical or ignorant response of crying bounty bounty whenever something runs amuck, however this does not dismiss these animals as a legitimate threat. I hope for a balance to be struck.

Good luck coy-wolves, coy-dogs, and all your brothers and sisters in arms, you'll have your hands full with the animal called Man.

[edit on 30-3-2010 by sparrowstail]

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Holy cow check this huge animal out that was shot in NYS. It is massive.

www.stripersonline.com...

That is scary

top topics

join