It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Government Can Force Us to Buy General Motors Products?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

Explain something to me: How can anyone force anyone to BUY anything?

Excuse me. Isn't that what they just did? We not only didn't want to buy it, we told Congress that we didn't want to buy it, but Congress got told by the ptb to shut up and pass the bill. We no longer have a government by the people. We are tied in to this system where we have to do what we are told and that can be anything from buy some stupid car to walk in to a fema camp or a gas chamber. We have no rights anymore. The government has pushed us into totalitarianism by stealth. They have been stealing your money for almost a hundred years. The FED is an abomination and not even legal. The income tax is based on an amendment that was never ratified. The banks can multiply the money they say they have by a factor of ten. You are so ripped off and you don't even want to know it.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Thirty_Foot_Smurf

And if they can make us buy health insurance they might also be able to make us buy Ice cream and Ponies!!!!!

I am sooooo on board for this!!!

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Helmkat

And if they can make us buy health insurance they might also be able to make us buy Ice cream and Ponies!!!!!

I am sooooo on board for this!!!

Dont be too quick to write it off. I understand that most peoples knee jerk reaction to this is going to be " OOOOH THATS HORSH!^ " But think about it for a second. The market, and consumers are like water and are going to take the path of least resistance. Stick to the low points, etc. Consider one of my earlier posts:

Hypothetically they could also nudge you into what they want you to do by making it fiscally inhibiting through taxes to make the choices you want to make. They wouldnt HAVE to flat out make it illegal and quite the contrary by adding to the 80 some thousand pages of current tax code.

Consider the article about GM just a jumping off point for discussion.

If the government has a vested interest in a company such as GM and owns a large portion of the stock. Wouldn't it want more Americans to invest their money in that company? Wouldn't the government want Americans to buy its products? If Americans don't then how far wold they go to get American consumers to do what they want them to do? From what I see they will use the power of persuasion at first and then they will turn to the persuasion of power.

Just look at the luxury and sin taxes currently in place. They already do these things.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Was I writing it off?

Nope.

I was just extending the logic.

If the goverment can force you to buy anything, the product or service in question becomes a madlib and the possibilities are endless.

(CNSNews.com) – Representative Michael Burgess (R-Texas) told CNSNews.com that if the mandate in the health care law requiring individuals to purchase health insurance or be penalized is upheld by the courts, the federal government could mandate anything, such as requiring all Americans to purchase a Slip and Slide.

(CNSNews.com) – Representative Michael Burgess (R-Texas) told CNSNews.com that if the mandate in the health care law requiring individuals to purchase health insurance or be penalized is upheld by the courts, the federal government could mandate anything, such as requiring all Americans to purchase a trip for two to Disneyland!

(CNSNews.com) – Representative Michael Burgess (R-Texas) told CNSNews.com that if the mandate in the health care law requiring individuals to purchase health insurance or be penalized is upheld by the courts, the federal government could mandate anything, such as requiring all Americans to purchase a Box of Fruit Loops.

Each is speculation of course and just as valid in its own way as a GM car.

Oh and I do own a GM car and I love my Uglymobile (A Ponitac Aztec). However in the realm of potential choices (which are endless) to fill in the product or service for their madlib, the choice was a bit "inflammitory".

[edit on 30-3-2010 by Helmkat]

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Oh and I do own a GM car and I love my Uglymobile (A Ponitac Aztec).
Agreed, they are one of the ugliest cars that ever I have ever seen.

But, there's a tent that pops outta the back.

On topic: Not that it matters anymore, but they have been limiting what we can legally own for years.

I can drive a 1968 VW Beetle on the road, but couldn't buy the same vehicle as it was produced in 1980 in Mexico, because it didn't pass the safety standards
at the time.

If they were so dangerous, why not take them all off the road?

Because there isn't a soul in Washington DC that gives a fiddlers damn about any of us, our well-being included.

It is all about POWER and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Was I writing it off?

Nope.

I was just extending the logic.

If the goverment can force you to buy anything, the product or service in question becomes a madlib and the possibilities are endless.

(CNSNews.com) – Representative Michael Burgess (R-Texas) told CNSNews.com that if the mandate in the health care law requiring individuals to purchase health insurance or be penalized is upheld by the courts, the federal government could mandate anything, such as requiring all Americans to purchase a Slip and Slide.

(CNSNews.com) – Representative Michael Burgess (R-Texas) told CNSNews.com that if the mandate in the health care law requiring individuals to purchase health insurance or be penalized is upheld by the courts, the federal government could mandate anything, such as requiring all Americans to purchase a trip for two to Disneyland!

(CNSNews.com) – Representative Michael Burgess (R-Texas) told CNSNews.com that if the mandate in the health care law requiring individuals to purchase health insurance or be penalized is upheld by the courts, the federal government could mandate anything, such as requiring all Americans to purchase a Box of Fruit Loops.

Each is speculation of course and just as valid in its own way as a GM car.

Oh and I do own a GM car and I love my Uglymobile (A Ponitac Aztec). However in the realm of potential choices (which are endless) to fill in the product or service for their madlib, the choice was a bit "inflammitory".

[edit on 30-3-2010 by Helmkat]

Exactly. You have to steel that logic however with their understanding of maximum and minimum goals. The maximum goal will be the hail mary so to speak. They get everything they ask for. The minimum goal it what they are willing to accept in a compromise. They will take a baby step toward their maximum goal if they have to. It is still a step in the right direction. An quite honestly in some circumstances a baby step is all they want so as to not gain attention and remain stealthy.

So what may seem as an absurd thing at the time and cause most people to shrug their shoulders and say " no biggie " may be a piece of the puzzle you're not seeing. So yes mandating fruit-loops and trips to Disneyland may seem ludicrous at the time but may be part of an over all scheme. The boa constrictor might feel like a comfy hug until it becomes too late to escape its death grip.

You may very well see these tactics or the framework for the use of these tactics being employed right now in the push for the new " Green Economy "...Just Sayin...

[edit on 30-3-2010 by Thirty_Foot_Smurf]

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by lilwolf

Originally posted by Light of Night

Thanks, you could have put the hammer down a few pages back.

reply to post by lilwolf

Has obama violated the seperation of powers.??

I'll answer your question for you.

Yes he has, by him and his administration being explicitly involved in the process of writing and passing the bill. The most he can do is outline what he wants and hope Congress delivers a bill that resembles his outline.

If this was somebody from the right in office right now the MSM would be howling about process in which this bill has been written and passed. Of course because it is who it is they say things like "who cares about process" etc.

exactly correct... He was not going to answer that so simple of a question... but you said it well enough and i appreciate it...

oh and i am not going to get bogged down as someone suggested...

Yeah, sorry I couldnt be on here all night playing this game with you.

To answer your question, sure he has.

A question for you: Is this relevent to the topic?

And I still notice you dodging my previous questions.

Again, though, its okay. You all have made it obvious that this thread is not actually about the topic, it is just another backhanded hate fest.

Carry on.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
[edit on 30-3-2010 by Thirty_Foot_Smurf]

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   

I find this to be a probable hypothetical ^_^. Someone asked how mandating something such as cars from GM would help people. How about the money saved by getting rid of your old piece of junk for something more fuel efficient or more eco friendly? How about better safety features on many new models. And I can't remember who said it but it would really help us get back all that bail out $$ and make sure people get to keep their jobs. Very good thread ^_^!

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by angrymomma

Yes, it would be a brand specific 'Cash for Clunkers' program, only mandatory.
Now that they have set a precedent by mandating that we buy insurance, that's not that big of a reach.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37
reply to post by VintageEnvy

Don't say no one warned you when it happens. Don't come back here and post something like "I CANNOT BELIEVE my government is doing this!!!" - because here you stand, making fun of someone who is trying to warn you that if the government tells you what you will and will not have to buy, simply for being ALIVE, there is a good chance they can require you to do anything that they want.

Okay, I am going to go about this from a different angle, since the fact that this is a complete and utter fear-mongering hypothetical, that you all are buying.

Explain something to me: How can anyone force anyone to BUY anything?

Creative marketing ploy #1 - Make them scared
Creative marketing ploy #2 - Lie to them that you know their pain
Creative marketing ploy #3 - tell them "If you (vote for me, vote for this bill, don't vote, blah blah) then I will be able to help you make it better
Creative marketing ploy #4 - get it thru Congress so it is a law
Creative marketing ploy #5 - tell you all is well and you have nothing to worry about.
Creative marketing ploy #6 - wait until tax time for the next big lie.

1933 - William Randolph Hearst and paper pulp - now you can not get the same paper that the US Constitution was written on - look it up!
1986 brought you the catalytic converter www.catalyticconverter.org...
and today you'll have more taxes to pay because of global warming because the catalytic converter which was suppose to clean emissions is doing its job so darn well!
Oh and lets not forget our children!
www.google.com...=en&q=cervical+cancer+vaccine&aq=8&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=cervical+can&gs_rfai=&fp=bcdf8cbbf06dc4f
Remember the cervical cancer vaccine? Our taxes pay for it, they mandated it for our (female) children only to have this happen...
www.google.com...=en&q=gardasil+deaths&aq=4&aqi=g-e1g9&aql=&oq=gardasil&gs_rfai=&fp=bcdf8cbbf06dc4f
www.wnd.com...
So you go tell the parents of those who suffered/died if they weren't forced to do this. They didn't have guns to their heads - no, much worse; They had a government tell them that only the government knows whats best for them. Their choice was to believe their government and not those who said this was not a good idea.
The people that need to wake up? Mirror Check!

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I give you the new Chevy Trabant Touring edition. Formerly known as the "Vette" Good designs never go away for Govt. Motors.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/abcfdf752fb6.jpeg[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thirty_Foot_Smurf
Come on Guys...Its a conspiracy website. Lets have some fun with it. Why wouldn't we want to deny ignorance and have a lively debate about where we feel things are going?

The ignorance here is in thinking this could actually happen.

So yes, let's deny ignorance.

Not too many years ago I was reading crazy fear mongering articles and posts spouting off about the government...

... monitoring the phone calls of US citizen

... Abandoning Posse Commutates

... abandoning Habeas Corpus

.... Full body scanners

... Torture

... corporations running for public office

and of course this is a very abbreviated example of topics that drew responses of impossible, never happen, my government would never do that, and so on.

Nothing is impossible and everything is possible.

As far as forcing someone to purchase a product, I would say that when faced with very undesirable consequences brought about by deciding not to conform, will at the very least carry some weight in any rational humans decision making process.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by lilwolf

Originally posted by Light of Night

Thanks, you could have put the hammer down a few pages back.

reply to post by lilwolf

Has obama violated the seperation of powers.??

I'll answer your question for you.

Yes he has, by him and his administration being explicitly involved in the process of writing and passing the bill. The most he can do is outline what he wants and hope Congress delivers a bill that resembles his outline.

If this was somebody from the right in office right now the MSM would be howling about process in which this bill has been written and passed. Of course because it is who it is they say things like "who cares about process" etc.

exactly correct... He was not going to answer that so simple of a question... but you said it well enough and i appreciate it...

oh and i am not going to get bogged down as someone suggested...

Yeah, sorry I couldnt be on here all night playing this game with you.

To answer your question, sure he has.

A question for you: Is this relevent to the topic?

And I still notice you dodging my previous questions.

Again, though, its okay. You all have made it obvious that this thread is not actually about the topic, it is just another backhanded hate fest.

Carry on.

well you said yes, and that was the only thing you answered correctly...and his actions are directly relevent to this topic... he has violated the constitution and therefore this particualr action is a slap in the face of constitutioal law...

actually i do not recall you actually asking anything in the way of questions...all you did for the most part was falsely accuse and throw a fit... so if you "actually" have a question... ask it and stop with the BS spit talk...

Hate fest???? There you go again.... it is indeed nothing of the sort, only you are convinced that every single person that speaks out against this clown is a hater or is racist.... you are so very wrong

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
We already know they are actively perusing legislation to control the people. Straight from representative Dingell's mouth.

So what exactly does he mean by control? Will this type of control extend to consumer goods soon?

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thirty_Foot_Smurf

So what exactly does he mean by control? Will this type of control extend to consumer goods soon?
It will extend to whatever we will allow them to do to us.

In 1932, if you asked the typical German citizen if they believed that they would have a leader with limitless power, sending them to gas chambers, making bookcovers and lampshades from their skins, they most likely would have thought you were insane.

We should not think that it can't happen here, to us.

[edit on 31-3-2010 by butcherguy]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Just saw a little story on Ford this morning. Their numbers are up 43% from this time last year. 43%!!! and they did it all by themselves. Meanwhile, GM and Chrysler are bogged down by their soggy and saggy govt. issued diapers.

When will they ever be potty trained?

Ford also announced that they are selling Volvo to a Chinese company. Not sure how I feel about a Chinese Volvo. VOLVO! now available at your local Wal Mart.

[edit on 31-3-2010 by jibeho]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

I don't know Jib,
That Chebby Trabant wit a BBC 502 and blower sticking out of the hood would make a rad woody man!!
Might be a bit nasty to drive but would still be kool!

Zindo

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZindoDoone
reply to post by jibeho

I don't know Jib,
That Chebby Trabant wit a BBC 502 and blower sticking out of the hood would make a rad woody man!!
Might be a bit nasty to drive but would still be kool!

Zindo

Sweet pic eh? I never saw a woody version like that. Amazing what Chevy could do with contact paper back in those days. It kept the body together when the rust took over.

My brother got stuck with a white Vette in High School. Wheels are wheels in HS I suppose and it was free. That thing had no power. 4 guys all over 6 feet and 180 lbs each...good luck getting on the highway. It gave flooring it a whole new meaning.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

My brother had a 70's chevette too. We used to do monster burnouts with it by having 2 guys lift up on the back bumper. Wouldnt do it otherwise. No where near enough power. After we'd get the tires spinning pretty good we'd throw a library book or two under it. Pretty good idea if you need a smoky confetti cannon in a pinch.

<< 3  4  5   >>

join