It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RNC Spends Thousands on Jets, Limos and Clubs, Report Shows

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
nytimes.com

The Republican National Committee opened an investigation on Monday into why money from donors was paid to reimburse a $2,000 tab at a risqué California nightclub earlier this year, party officials said.

“It was obviously improper – for more than one reason,” said Doug Heye, a spokesman for the party. “It was not a sanctioned R.N.C. activity. It was improper because of the venue.”

As Republicans attempt to win back control of the House and Senate in this midterm election year, several party officials and contributors have raised questions about the financial disparities between the Democratic and the Republican parties. Republican officials opened a review of their spending after the nightclub expense was discovered by reporters for The Daily Caller, an online publication in Washington.

The Republican National Committee spent about $30,000 in February on private airplanes and limousines. But those charges were overshadowed by the $1,946.25 charge at Voyeur West Hollywood, which was described by The Los Angeles Times last year as a “high-end nightclub” with an interior “reminiscent of the masked orgy scene” from the movie “Eyes Wide Shut.”

Mr. Heye, the party spokesman, said that the Republican chairman, Michael S. Steele, was not responsible for the charges. He said the reimbursement was made to a “non-committee staffer,” whom he identified as Erik Brown of Orange, Calif., a political consultant. Mr. Heye said the money would be paid back to the Republican National Committee.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is the sort of misconduct that could get the Republican National Committee in hot water, especially when mid-term elections are coming up in November.

Though I'm not a big fan of the RNC, I think they are handling the scandal in an aboveboard and forthright way by being open with the press and the American people.

It might be more shocking if the person responsible was Michael Steele, but it looks like he's not involved in the lavish excesses.

So much for the Republicans as the party of fiscal responsibility, but kudos on their handling of the scandal.

[edit on 29-3-2010 by Sestias]

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   

But those charges were overshadowed by the $1,946.25 charge at Voyeur West Hollywood, which was described by The Los Angeles Times last year as a “high-end nightclub” with an interior “reminiscent of the masked orgy scene” from the movie “Eyes Wide Shut.”

And to think I've been avoiding political poll threads. (pole as in dancers, get it?)

But not seriously I am happy to see the party of faith and values is living up to their high standards. Seems appropriate it was a voyeurs club since all they can do is watch and moan.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 02:24 AM
link   
At least they don't turn around and lecture us about how jets and cars cause global warming. Well maybe Arnold does but........

Never mind.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

I see absolutely nothing wrong with people attending the sleezests, raunchy, clubs, massage parlors, poll dance, lap dance festivals, wet Tshirt contest ,etc.
as long as they spend their own money. But when funds are used that come form donations that were suppose to support the platform of the GOP that is wrong. If you are going to claim to be the Party of "Family values" then perhaps don't hang your dirty laundry out for all to see.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
The Democrats waste billions of our money daily. I'm Sorry I said this on another post, on another thread of the same topic. this is not a big deal, not now.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
And they call themselves "Conservatives?" Please!!! These people do nothing but preach about how moral and wholesome they are and how they are the ones who will do "the right thing" for our country. Well, sometimes the truth hurts. The GOP is a dying party because in reality it is the party of hypocrisy. It used to be quite easy to conceal this type of behavior but that is no longer the case. This is the age of information, i.e. the internet, and everyone has a cell phone with a camera. All I can say to the GOP is welcome to the age of accountability.

Republican, So Easy A Cave Man Can Do It.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Like whaaa, I am not bothered by the man's visit to the nightclub on his own dime. What bothers me is the idea that he thought either, one, it was an appropriate charge to the RNC, or, two, he believed he was getting away with something.

Since conservative morality is based on the idea that there is only black and white, how did this man rationalize asking the RNC for payment? Was it a case of "it's only wrong if you get caught"?

What else do these people think is wrong only if you get caught?

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I'm confused......did this cost as much as Pelosi et al going to the global warming conference, did it cost as much as the failed Olympic trip, did it cost as much as Obamas date night? Was it right, no.....does it compare to democrats spending on trivial stuff nope?

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by adifferentbreed

The president's expenditures are part of his job. We Americans want our chief executive to live in style, and ALL presidents have. ALL of them. In addition, the expenditures made while on government business are perfectly valid.

We are talking about the Republican National Committee, which exists on the contributions of its donors. Some of them don't like writing a hefty check to the RNC so it could be used at a strip club.

I agree with you in that it's really between the RNC and its contributors, and what's ok with them should raise no eyebrows.

It's because the Republicans have set themselves up as morally superior to the rest of us that we point a finger and laugh when they are caught with their hand in the cookie jar.

More important, the next time you get an urgent request from the GOP to send money to help them in their campaigns, you might think twice about where the money is going.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

Oh what's the difference? This is how politics operate. Sometimes you have to cajole and persuade your constituents to get them to see things your way...sometimes you need a whip and a dominatrix to do it.

Didn't the Dems try to cajole reluctant members with that Cornhusker clause and keeping those FL Advantage Medicare provisions? Same thing. Shady back room deals.

Whatever it takes to sway your team.

Sometimes you need to bribe the unsure with extra health care provisions and another time it might require you place a woman's breasts in their face.
Everybody is different.

There's even times when it behooves a political party to be a little more forceful in wrangling your allegiance. Leather and chains and near naked bodies simulating sex acts on a dance floor. Hey, You got me.

Naturally people are complaining....I am an Independent/Democrat but I might turn Republican just for the parties.
Just like other States demanded their own Cornhusker clause across the board - The rest of us want Michael Steele and the Republicans to try and sway our vote too!

Where's the Party?!!

[edit on 31-3-2010 by rusethorcain]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious

But those charges were overshadowed by the $1,946.25 charge at Voyeur West Hollywood, which was described by The Los Angeles Times last year as a “high-end nightclub” with an interior “reminiscent of the masked orgy scene” from the movie “Eyes Wide Shut.”

And to think I've been avoiding political poll threads. (pole as in dancers, get it?)

But not seriously I am happy to see the party of faith and values is living up to their high standards. Seems appropriate it was a voyeurs club since all they can do is watch and moan.

I knew you would be on here making false generalizations and lumping all of the Republicans into the same category for the actions of a few.

I guess then because John Edwards cheated on his wife that all Democrats are adulterers?

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

It needs to be handled swiftly and harshly. Any staffer and direct head of those staffers that had anything to do with this needs to be fired immediately and black-balled. Steele may not be involved in the abhorrent behavior but as the head of the RNC it's his job to be in the know of what's going on with his staffers.

I don't know that calling for his resignation is in order but I think there should be some sort of disciplinary action against him.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37

Originally posted by kinda kurious

I knew you would be on here making false generalizations and lumping all of the Republicans into the same category for the actions of a few.

I guess then because John Edwards cheated on his wife that all Democrats are adulterers?

Amen! This is a seriously excellent post and it was exactly the point that I was going to make. Very well said.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

So Pelosi et al's trip for the "Global Warming" thing was legit, and cost how much? I'm not saying they were right, but damn, it happens on both sides, and this looks alot less wastefull than some things this administration has done in the last year.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by desert

I have no problem with a guy going to a strip club or a brothel. I don't care whether a guy looks a naked women, has sex with women, or fools around with men for that matter. I, however, am not a member of a political party that preaches "family values." It's hypocritical that the Republicans are doing these things. They are worse than Clinton and John Edwards....at least Clinton bought his cigar with his own money.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by adifferentbreed

Pelosi's trip to the Global Warming conference was government business.

You may not think global warming is a legitimate issue and so oppose the expenditure. I see your point. But the fact remains that enough people think it is a concern to warrant high-ranking American lawmakers' attendance.

Just as you may not agree with President Obama's foreign policy, you may object to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's considerable expenditures in the process of representing the United States abroad. Most Americans would see it as justified, though, because America has an image to maintain in the world community.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by rusethorcain

A star for you. True and hilarious.

top topics

join