It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More Evidence That Coffee is Good For You

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Oh my gosh!!
How do some of you have that much coffee each day and still function?

I've heard about people using coffee as a means to "clean out" the system, while others drink it as their only means to get through the day... but don't you eventually 'crash' at some point? Or do you just make sure you have more before you reach that point?

On the rare occasion I have any coffee, it's always decaf. If I were to have regular coffee I'd end up looking too much like this guy...

www.youtube.com...

(edit~ couldn't embed)

[edit on 30-3-2010 by misfitoy]

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by misfitoy

I've heard about people using coffee as a means to "clean out" the system

Yes, google the term "coffee enema".

Some in the natural therapy community use it to detoxify the intestines/bowel of toxins.

Like many others, the official word is: "Doesn't work. Dangerous."

I leave it at that.

[edit on 30-3-2010 by jjjtir]

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   

G'day misfitoy

Here you go.....

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by jjjtir

Yes, I've heard many people say they've had good results with coffee enemas before. Can't say I really care to try it. However, I have noticed that if I drank coffee before going on a brisk walk, my armpits would smell like coffee afterwards, lol.

Maybe...maybe not,
Thank you for your time. I tried that too, but see how it won't let you watch it? Don't know if there's a way around that.

(edit to fix sentences that I keep messing up.... maybe I need coffee)

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   

However, I have noticed that if I drank coffee before going on a brisk walk, my armpits would smell like coffee afterwards, lol.

The saying, "you are what you eat" sometimes holds true...

People who take excessive fish oil capsules for the omega 3 fatty acids, can start smelling like fish after the predominant fat profile in the blood is replaced...

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Maybe...maybe not

If coffee is good for you, I will live forever! I drink enough to make a normal persons eyes bleed.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by misfitoy
reply to post by jjjtir

Yes, I've heard many people say they've had good results with coffee enemas before. Can't say I really care to try it. However, I have noticed that if I drank coffee before going on a brisk walk, my armpits would smell like coffee afterwards, lol.

Get a coffee colonic! It's like a coffee enema on steroids!

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I "suck it down like Coca-Cola". Coffee & ATS is a killer combo.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I don't like these studies at all.
I certainly don't like the simplistic conclusion that because something like coffee may benefit certain functions in your body, then it's concluded that coffee is ''good for you''.

When I used to drink coffee, it was directly responsible for instances of arrhythmia, and a contributory factor in my more extreme instances of tachycardia and it also exacerbated depression.

I conducted numerous personal experiments to identify coffee as the definitive cause and/or exacerbating factor of these ailments, and would disagree with any conclusion that coffee is unconditionally good for you.

I think most coffee drinkers don't want to admit that what they do is recreational drug taking, and I'd certainly agree with some previous contributors that Espresso coffee is a particularly strong stimulant/mood enhancer and alterer.

Sadly, people tend to tolerate coffee drinking unthinkingly because it's promoted through big businesses, and it's not just socially acceptable, but actively encouraged as being 'cool'.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Espresso has less caffine in it than regular coffee. It's all in the roast. If you have a darker roast like espresso you are actually cooking off many of the oils in the coffee seed(it's a berry not a bean). A lighter roast leaves most of the oils intact and is therefore less acidic and higher in caffine content.

15-20 shots of espresso is a lot of caffeine, but if it is spaced out it equals to about 8-12 12oz cups of coffee, at a darkish south American roast.

The darkest coffee out there are the French and Italian roasts. They have the least caffeine and offer the deepest flavor available for Western taste. If you want more concentrated coffees you're going to have to go with a combo of brewing technique and grind, but that's another thread.

I'm not surprised to find many benefits to drinking coffee regularly. I have grown up with coffee since I was a small child.

[edit on 15-7-2010 by projectvxn]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by jjjtir

I've heard about people using coffee as a means to "clean out" the system

Yes, google the term "coffee enema".

Some in the natural therapy community use it to detoxify the intestines/bowel of toxins.

Like many others, the official word is: "Doesn't work. Dangerous."

I leave it at that.

[edit on 30-3-2010 by jjjtir]

Actually, that's not the purpose of the coffee enema.

The purpose is to trigger the liver and gall bladder to dump toxins ... and yes, it does work, and contrary to being dangerous, when used correctly can be a life saver.

[edit on 16/7/10 by RogerT]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   

I cant access the article, does it say if decaf has the same effect? Or is the caffeine the beneficial substance? Or does it not address that at all?

I love coffee. But a couple years ago I suddenly became intolerant of caffeine. (It wires me up like crazy, even one cup, uncomfortably so) but I would drink a cup of decaf and deal with the caffeine in that if I thought it had some benefit.

Otherwise, even the 5mg in decaf is a bit too much to take for no good reason, that now has the impact on me two or three full strength cups used to.

Edit to add, nm this post had more info on the decaf.

reply to post by Beatrix Kiddo Jr

[edit on 16-7-2010 by Illusionsaregrander]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   
When people say 'coffee' what do they actually refer to?

1. A cup of nescafe instant with 4 sugars and half a pint of milk?
2. Freshly ground beans run through a suitable espresso machine, drunk instantly, black and unsweetened?
3. Starbucks double latte frappucino strawberry soy shake cup with a twist of chocolate berry flavor juice

Don't you think 8 cups of each would yield 3 very different effects on the body?

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Damn fine cup of coffee!

Now, my only question is: "Do I make more coffee and stay up, or pack it in for the night?" I have Italian Roast Starbucks...

[edit on 7/16/2010 by this_is_who_we_are]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by cripmeister

MUG MUG MUG MUG MUG MUG MUG MUG MUG MUG!!!!!

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Projectvxn.....

Thanks.....that's interesting info!

So.....

I got sent some "special" strong coffee from Malaysia.

This stuff seemed extremely strong.....what a big kick!!

I wonder what that would have been.....

Cheers
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by CavemanDD
Coffee does terrible things to this brain of mine, or the caffeine does. I make mistakes at work, the more caffiene the more I have trouble analyzing what I read. And it absolutely nullifys my awareness. All that wonderful clarity that comes from a night of sleep and detoxing to be taken away first thing in the morning by the casual cup of coffee.

Thank you for posting that. I say this because I have, for quite a long time, had private language lessons (one on one) and I noticed that when I drink coffee beforehand I am much slower. I'm learning Hindi so reading a different script is a large part of it and I found that this in particular suffered. I found that coffee makes my mind slower at recognising the characters.

I also found that my real time thinking (speaking, listening and translating) becomes slower and that I make far more mistakes after drinking coffee. It's almost like my mind wants to race ahead but it actually slows down quite a lot. Memory is also affected.

I thank you for writing your experience because I have never heard of this before, everyone I ask doesn't experience the same thing and I have not found a single bit of research to agree with me. I'm glad to hear it's not just me though. Star to you!

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Malaysian Coffees are usually roasted using oils from other plants like palm leaves. They do this so they can cook down the bean to a dark roast without sacrificing the effects of the coffee. It's also grown in very rich soil(this is SE Asia) which allows the plant to naturally produce more of the chemicals coffee seeds are known for. Malaysian coffee isn't the best stuff out there, but the way it is grown, cooked, and ground you will always get what you expect from it.

[edit on 16-7-2010 by projectvxn]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Frakkerface

Here is something you might find interesting then,

en.wikipedia.org...

An array of studies found that caffeine could have nootropic effects, inducing certain changes in memory and learning.

Researchers have found that long-term consumption of low dose caffeine slowed hippocampus-dependent learning and impaired long-term memory in mice. Caffeine consumption for 4 weeks also significantly reduced hippocampal neurogenesis compared to controls during the experiment. The conclusion was that long-term consumption of caffeine could inhibit hippocampus-dependent learning and memory partially through inhibition of hippocampal neurogenesis.[104].

In another study, caffeine was added to rat neurons in vitro. The dendritic spines (a part of the brain cell used in forming connections between neurons) taken from the hippocampus (a part of the brain associated with memory) grew by 33% and new spines formed. After an hour or two, however, these cells returned to their original shape.[105]

Another study showed that human subjects — after receiving 100 milligrams of caffeine — had increased activity in brain regions located in the frontal lobe, where a part of the working memory network is located, and the anterior cingulate cortex, a part of the brain that controls attention. The caffeinated subjects also performed better on the memory tasks.[106]

However, a different study showed that caffeine could impair short-term memory and increase the likelihood of the tip of the tongue phenomenon. The study allowed the researchers to suggest that caffeine could aid short-term memory when the information to be recalled is related to the current train of thought, but also to hypothesize that caffeine hinders short-term memory when the train of thought is unrelated.[107] In essence, caffeine consumption increases mental performance related to focused thought while it may decrease broad-range thinking abilities.

I started researching around when the impact caffeine had on me took a sudden and unpleasant turn for the worse after years, (from childhood) of enjoying it quite a lot. I never did find out why that switch happened, but the spider web photos and research was pretty darn cool.

www.trinity.edu...

There is also a video about it, which I HIGHLY recommend, (its short);

Ok, ok, the video was a spoof, but the research is real.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

Wow thanks for the post, very interesting. Funny that it mentions the tip of the tongue syndrome, that's exactly how i would describe the difficulties both with reading a different script and trying to formulate sentences. The short term memory thing as well, i would often forget what was said at the beginning of a sentance (not words so much but conjugations etc) by the time it came to the end.

Haha i can't believe that is on the wiki page, I actually spent a while trying to find information about it but it was one of those times where any google search brings up the wrong thing.

I'm going to research this, i really love coffee but I have an full immersion time with another language soon so drinking it probably isn't going to help.

Edit: I completely forgot about the spiders webs, I've seen that before, years ago i think, I should've thought of that.

[edit on 16-7-2010 by Frakkerface]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join