It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police accused of trespass after 'burgling' 50 homes... to show owners how insecure they are Read

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Police accused of trespass after 'burgling' 50 homes... to show owners how insecure they are

Read more: SOURCE

When it comes to fighting crime, a certain understanding of the criminal mind is essential.

But the police have been criticised for their attempts to prevent a spate of house thefts - by committing the burglaries themselves.

Officers have been entering private homes through open windows or unlocked doors, supposedly as a warning to residents about a lack of security.

Once inside, officers pick up any valuable items they see such as iPods or purses and leave them in a 'swag bag' for the owner to find.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Police to pose as burglars in the middle of the night in bid to cut break-ins.

Mod Edit: Fixed coding for member.

[edit on 3/29/2010 by AshleyD]

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Well this was inevitable, and absolutely stupid.

The organisers of this "mission" obviously don't read ATS and didn't see the myriad of pitfalls they will now be up against.

As tresspassers, I wonder if they would also be inclined to have a good search of a property and then feel obliged to report anything untoward?

Shame none of the officers were caught in the act and beaten with a rolled up copy of the Daily Mail.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

SOURCE
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Fixed broken link for member.

[edit on 3/29/2010 by AshleyD]

CX

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I am glad that this is now being seen as the crime that it really is. I appreciate that the police are trying to get a message across, but it ranks up there with some of their more stupid ways of doing it.

I've said it before and i'll say it again, i have young kids in my house...if you are stupid enough to try and suprise me or them in the middle of the night, you'll read about it in the papers.

CX.

[edit on 29/3/10 by CX]

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
So by committing a wrong act, that makes it right as long as you use it to teach a lesson hmmm?

Totally speechless..

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

I hope an officer gets caught red handed and has a shotgun shoved in his grill.

I don't care if it's a cop or not, if you break into my house and make me think my family is in danger, I'm out for blood.

Stupid, stupid idea and I hope someone is able to make a lawsuit out of this.

CX

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
So by committing a wrong act, that makes it right as long as you use it to teach a lesson hmmm?

Totally speechless..

I know what you mean.

Maybe next time i see an unlocked police car in the street, i'll take it and drive it back to the police station....just to remind them to lock their car up.

I'm sure they'd understand.

CX.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Wait.... people here are defending this form of racketeering?
Seriously????

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Once inside, officers pick up any valuable items they see such as iPods or purses and leave them in a 'swag bag' for the owner to find.

WHAT?!?
So I'm guessing because I come under the Neighbourhood Watch scheme I'm also allowed to wander into any unlocked premises I wish, "look after" any items that are left around, until at least the neighbours wake up or return from their holidays and let them find the items in question. Stupid Idea.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by SirPsychoSexy
reply to post by nerbot

I hope an officer gets caught red handed and has a shotgun shoved in his grill.

I don't care if it's a cop or not, if you break into my house and make me think my family is in danger, I'm out for blood.

Stupid, stupid idea and I hope someone is able to make a lawsuit out of this.

There's a good point..
Say said officer is caught in the act by a home owner with a gun?
does the homeowner get arrested for pointing a gun or worse shoot first ask questions later?

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Amazingly Stupid, and how is this legal?
What planet seriously am I on anymore?
What's next?
University students attacked and raped by police and security staff to show them just how vulnerable they are?
Infants stolen from strollers to show parents just how paranoid they need to be?

Honestly?
The worlds collective mind has to be melting.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Yes...
So if an officer breaks into someone's home, and they're sleeping...

Then they wake up and grab their gun to shoot the perpetrator...

Are they charged with murder of a police officer?

Hmm....
BTW, I don't call the police for robberies. I dial .45 ACP.
You got the calhone's to break in, you better run like #e11.

I don't like this story one bit.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
judging by some of the responses to the article they will be doing it more often..some people are all for it!!!!!!!

i actually guess that this is what this is...a test to see how people react...if no one complains it will be spread out and increased..until its normal to have police just walking into your house to see if anythings wrong..

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
This is really the stupidest police work I've ever heard of.
It is like some Benny Hill prank.
The public needs to be told who started this.
Who exactly came up with the idea of doing this?
I'll bet they don't have Britain's safe future in mind.
Was it a reality tv show producer?
And the police that entered the homes feel safe because you people in Britain have been dumbed down and had your guns removed.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Notice that this occurred in the UK and NOT here in the US where many US homeowners are armed to the teeth and shoot first and ask questions later !

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
This nonsense will end when some cop creeping thru an open window is blown to hell by a homeowner with a gun.

The cops DESERVE to be shot if they enter a home without a warrant. If cops want to press their luck, go ahead!! I am waiting for this headline:

" Program suspended after fatal police shooting". The controversial practice of allowing cops to break and enter private homes and' collect' valuables was suspended today after Officer Sneaky Basterd was shot to death by a homeowner who awakened to find masked men stealing his goods.

Attorneys from the firm of Dewey, Cheatum and Howe said that the homeowner was fully within his rights and this was the ineviteble outcome of a horrible idea put into practice. From now on, police snooping around peoples homes at night will only be allowed to leave a note taped to any open windows or doors, and no longer will police be allowed to violate the law to give ' reminders'.

Officer Basterd was buried with full honors by his fellow sneakies.

Good riddance!!

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
If they want to raise awareness just knock on the door and tell the homeowner his stuff is not secured....if they choose to not secure it and get burglarized (by a real burglar) then so be it....but I agree this isn't the best way to notify people....

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
What would you do if you came home and caught a policeman 'burgling' your home? Wouldn't you hesitate to dial 999 because you wouldn't trust the officer's fellow policemen to take your word against his?

What a horrible situation to find yourself in. I can just imagine the gamut of thoughts and emotions a person would have to go through until the situation was explained.

One thing I did notice was that the homes being mainly targeted for this exercise were those of students.

Of course, the police wouldn't have any ulterior motives for gaining entry into those homes, would they?

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I have to say that I thought this was a pretty bad idea when I 1st read they were planning it. However, the previous report seemed to suggest that the coppers would not enter the house, just bang on the door to give people a lecture. Actually entering homes is taking it to a dangerous level of stupidity.
From a legal standpoint, its quite tricky tho, because simply trespassing is not a criminal offence, but a civil matter. I believe that police entering a home without a warrent isn't criminal either, but a matter of required proceedure that would have to be referred to the Police Complaints Authority: a far cry from criminal court. For there to be an offence, I think you'd have to allege that they did more than just enter your house & move stuff.
On the question of violence, if you attack someone in your home in the UK, you can use reasonable force, so a shotgun would be out unless they were carrying a weapon you might be reasonably expected to believe they were about to threaten your life. Its tricky again tho, because what if the copper identified him/herself? In theory, you should desist, but they shouldn't be in your house, so it'd be reasonable to assume they were an imposter. In practice: you attack the police, you'll get no end of grief for it. If by some miracle you get off in court, they'll get you back some other way.
This idea is just asking for trouble.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Police enter home:

Alight bob lets see if we can find anything illegal.... NO? Ok wrap it up, get that swag bag set up so we can make this look legit.

CX

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by rcwj1975
If they want to raise awareness just knock on the door and tell the homeowner his stuff is not secured....if they choose to not secure it and get burglarized (by a real burglar) then so be it....but I agree this isn't the best way to notify people....

Agreed. I wouldn't mind so much about a knock on the door, or an advice slip through the letterbox saying that my property appeared to be unsecure, it's just the tresspassing i have a problem with.

On a more positive and sensible note, i phoned the enquiry line of my county's police after reading this (i'm a UK southerner too), and the officer, and his supervisor thought it was a particularly dangerous way of detering crime. They said that as far as they were aware, the police here have absoloutley no intention of using these methods.

I thought it was quite telling that the officers that i spoke to sounded concerned about the possible dangers of officers entering properties uninvited. It also makes me wonder if there are any targets attatched to this strategy? Any other reasons for it?

I was honest with the guy, i said my youngest has breathing problems and sometimes needs a window open, but wanted reassurance that i wasn't going to have an officer trying to enter my house unannounced, as that could obviously have nasty repercussions.

He totaly agreed, and said it's not something he would agree with.

CX.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join