It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Future of Healthcare in the US!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Here a few examples of what the healthcare system is destined to become:

Dying Patient Denied Drink of Water
Another Man Dies Begging For Water

Apparently they now have to ration even the water that patients drink!

A Letter From the UK Regarding National Healthcare
Too Many Visit Doctors When Sick, Need to Treat Themselves!

I particularly like that last one. How dare those people seek the advice of a doctor when ill!?!? That right there smacks of rationing care!

Now, what's this!? CUTS to be made in the UK's healthcare programs???
Public Healthcare Faces Major Problems!

This next one is a good example of what happens when the government runs not only healthcare, but disability. These patients, with serious health problems, are simply rushed back to work so that the government won't have to provide disability pay - despite the fact that these people have genuine problems.
Many People Wrongly Judged Fit to Work

I think you're beginning to get the idea here. The current healthcare bill is no panacea, but is thankfully lacking in the "Government run" department - for now. All of those people toting out how great universal healthcare is have only one good thing to say about it - it doesn't them cost them anything. I guess those folks just don't pay any taxes. I am in firm agreement that healthcare needs to be fixed. There are many, many problem with the existing system. It seems to me that we have only made them worse by simply adding another 30 million people to the rolls while also adding billions in new taxes and fees. There is history to learn from; examples of what NOT to do. Yet somehow we seem to being working toward doing what is being proven to NOT work in other countries. Are we really that stupid???

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
There is plenty of evidence to support that fact public healthcare is failing in countries that have been utilizing it for years. Countries that are far smaller in population and less complex than the good old US. You would think that we could learn just a little from these failed experiments in other countries.

Why not fix the current system rather than replacing it with an entirely new one that will require the creation of 140 plus new govt. departments/agencies to run it.

Wheels are round for a reason and so are manhole covers. Let's see how our nation will run on squares while being tethered by red tape.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   
It's almost as if the US has studied what has failed and is copying it. Massive military spending and endless war in Afghanistan greatly weakened the USSR - check. Socialized medicine is a huge drain on the economy of many European nations who are close to facing bankruptcy - check. California style methods of raising cash for the government that drives away business - check.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by 4ortunate1

to take your answer a step furter its as though tptb are wanting the united states to crack at the seams and have to file bankruptcy that way the eu or un can take over and they can get there one world currency going! i am not putting words in your mouth just running with what you had summed up in which is obvious to anyone that has taken the time observing failed policies of other international countries in our recent history!

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
kozmo, obviously, you have zero idea what is in the health care law do you?

Perhaps you can point to us from the law itself exactly how patients will be killed by the merciless government.

Now I am not talking about some right winger website, I am talking straight from the law itself.

Course you won't do that, it's too hard, you won't be able to back up any of your fear-mongering with actual facts.

H.R.4872

Here, I will even provide you the link so you can prove yourself. Instead of just fear mongering something that is now law.

Now you can prove how horrible and god awful this bill is and how every American will die because of it.

[edit on 3/29/2010 by whatukno]

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
kozmo, the second article raises a legitimate issue. I think you missed the point entirely.

CX

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
There's two sides to the coin though.

I wholeheartedly agree with those who doubt healthcare, and have been a victim of it's poor treatement at times myself.....however...

This morning i took my youngest daughter into accident and emergency with a suspected broken toe, she was assessed, x-rayed, seen by a nurse and a doctor, given treatment and then discharged within 90 minutes.

She's happy and back in school now, and i don't have a medical bill breathing down my throat.

How much would that have cost me in the US?

I know i pay for it in other ways, but i just wanted to say that our NHS is not all bad.

CX.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Pelosi said it best.

"We have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it"

I guess we have 4 years to figure it out before the coverage kicks in.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

You can find out RIGHT NOW! I linked to the law. If you refuse to read it, that's your problem.

I can't force you to read it. Obviously you can read so that's not the issue, so it must be an issue of sloth.

H.R.4872

There it is. Get to reading.

It's reality time, the bill is law, you can't rely on bull anymore, its there for all to see, in black and white. Time to read the bill, put facts up, otherwise we can see you are full of bull, and let me tell you, if Republicans keep harping on this law, with the truth in black and white for all to see, people will see through it.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
kozmo, obviously, you have zero idea what is in the health care law do you?

Perhaps you can point to us from the law itself exactly how patients will be killed by the merciless government.

Now I am not talking about some right winger website, I am talking straight from the law itself.

Course you won't do that, it's too hard, you won't be able to back up any of your fear-mongering with actual facts.

H.R.4872

Here, I will even provide you the link so you can prove yourself. Instead of just fear mongering something that is now law.

Now you can prove how horrible and god awful this bill is and how every American will die because of it.

There is mention of "comparative care" somewhere in the bill. Which bill should we look at?

There are even more pressing problems. I am urging people to stock potassium iodine tabs and will supply this to my family free of charge. During the last flu season I supplied them with VIT D 5000IU ampules.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by chorizo4

There is mention of "comparative care" somewhere in the bill. Which bill should we look at?

Now that it's law, well, there is only one law to look at. So time to look it up.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo
Here a few examples of what the healthcare system is destined to become:

Dying Patient Denied Drink of Water
Another Man Dies Begging For Water

Apparently they now have to ration even the water that patients drink!

It's a pity and the nurse has been sacked. However, the Daily Mail is probably one of the most unreliable newspapers in the UK, so I'd take their report with a pinch of salt.

And your last sentence is BS.

A Letter From the UK Regarding National Healthcare

Did you read it?

As someone born in the U.K., a country with a “single-payer” healthcare system that is founded on the principle, “Healthcare should be free at the point of delivery”, I would rather be sick in the U.K. than in the USA. That’s because I don’t have health insurance – and that’s because the cost of catastrophic health insurance – the only type I would consider, since I don’t wish to insure what I can underwrite myself – would be so high for me here that I (uneasily) prefer to take the gamble of not having it. The gamble is more of a calculated risk as I am very good with diet and exercise. Of course, I can imagine being in a car accident, but for now at least, I cannot imagine getting that sick.

The fact that I would much rather be sick in England than the USA today would make a hypocrite of me if I were to say that the American healthcare system of yesterday was better than England’s socialized system.

Yeah, I'd rather be treated in the UK than the US as well.

I can even go to the doctor for very minor complaints because it costs me nothing at the time...

brand=BBJOnline&category=NEWS&tBrand=BBJOnline&tCategory=news&itemid=NOED17%20Mar%202010%2009%3A33%3A13%3A573]Too Many Visit Doctors When Sick, Need to Treat Themselves![/url]

I particularly like that last one. How dare those people seek the advice of a doctor when ill!?!? That right there smacks of rationing care!

...which of course leads people in the UK to use the services on offer for very minor compliants - coughs and colds. We can go every week if we wanted to, to whine about an ache here and sniffle there.

Not much a quack can do or a bit of flu or cold in the otherwise healthy. Whereas those in the US would, I think, be more likely to think twice about going to see a quack for very minor issues when they are faced with an explicit cost.

Now, what's this!? CUTS to be made in the UK's healthcare programs???
Public Healthcare Faces Major Problems!

It does. You might have noticed that a bunch of poorly regulated idiot bankers nearly ruined us. This has led to real strain on public finances.

This next one is a good example of what happens when the government runs not only healthcare, but disability. These patients, with serious health problems, are simply rushed back to work so that the government won't have to provide disability pay - despite the fact that these people have genuine problems.
Many People Wrongly Judged Fit to Work

And many people misuse disability benefits as a better paid form of income support. Indeed, it is a real problem and one I've seen with my own eyes. In fact, I have known such people who live primarily off the state.

You do know you have a similar government-based social security for disability?

The downside of getting such shirkers back to work is that it also has the possibility of pulling in the people with real issues.

There is history to learn from; examples of what NOT to do. Yet somehow we seem to being working toward doing what is being proven to NOT work in other countries. Are we really that stupid???

Dunno, but if you maintained the system you had, I would think so. And many of those whining about the essentially republican idea recently implemented are at least verging on idiocy. But it's only a first step towards real universal healthcare.

[edit on 29-3-2010 by melatonin]

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I have been under the care of the NHS for my brain tumour for the past 8 years. The service i have received has been nothing short of amazing. as a younger patient I have always felt the compassion of both doctors and nurses. My health care would have run in to the hundreds of thousands of pounds, with regular MRI scans, chemotherapy, radiotherapy, counselling, support groups and continued support from my local GP.

Just wanted to add a positive story of the Great British NHS to counter the usual Daily Mail articles intent on dragging the nation down.

still If i were in America it would be cheaper for the insurance companies to take the fines rather than insure someone in my predicament

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
reply to post by chorizo4

Now that it's law, well, there is only one law to look at. So time to look it up.

Get some potassium iodine tabs. Have them ready but don't take as a daily supplement. Follow label directions in case of emergency. I think the morons in charge are thinking stupid thoughts. Just to be on the safe side....... Had plenty of vit. D for the last flu season in case things got out of hand. Better safe than sorry.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho

Pelosi said it best.

"We have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it"

I guess we have 4 years to figure it out before the coverage kicks in.
Yes, but we get to start paying now.

Yippee!

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   

I have read all that I need to read in this bill to realize that it is not the right move for our country. One will need to retain a lawyer to decipher the majority of this bill. I am still trying to follow the earmarks connected to this bill. Not an easy task when trying to follow a winding and disconnected path.

Earmark note:

A day after Rep. Bart Stupak, D-Mich., and ten other House members compromised on their pro-life position to deliver the necessary yes-votes to pass health care reform, the "Stupak 11" released their fiscal year 2011 earmark requests, which total more than $3.4 billion--an average of $314 million worth of earmark requests for each lawmaker. *

Of the eight lawmakers whose 2010 requests were available for comparison, five requested more money this week than they did a year ago: Rep. Jerry Costello, D-Ill., Rep. Kathy Dahlkemper, D-Pa., Rep. Joe Donnelly, D-Ind., Brad Ellsworth, D-Ind., and Rep. Charles Wilson, D-Ohio.

Despite a newly enacted ban on earmarks to for-profit firms, Stupak requested a total of $52 million for companies in his district out of the $65.9 million he requested from the Defense Appropriations bill.

reporting.sunlightfoundation.com...

I do support HCR in general but not in this manner.

This bill is a monstrosity and it will serve to only create yet another behemoth of a bureaucracy. Just what our country needs right now.
The ripple effect will be enormous and the reality will sting when all of this starts to occur.

Sadly, our "friends" on the Hill will still be exempted from this new program. They get to keep their premium and highly exclusive coverage paid for by us of course.

[edit on 29-3-2010 by jibeho]

[edit on 29-3-2010 by jibeho]

top topics

join