It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's Eat With Hadrian! II - Serbian Skillet Pork

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 05:19 AM
link   
You wouldn't think that just the use of paprika would result in a dish which has such an exotic taste, not to engage in hyperbole. I suppose it's the paprika, the onions and peppers, the Feta, in combination.

I guess you either like Feta cheese or you don't. No worries ... in this recipe, it's purely a garnish - you could leave it out if you wanted. However, in my opinion, it totally makes this dish. It is so good.

As perfect as the Feta cheese topping is, though, I think the flavor really comes from the onions, peppers and paprika, so you wouldn't be missing all that much. When served quickly, however, the Feta is a nice, cool contrast to the robust flavors of the onions, peppers and spices.

This recipe calls to be served on rice, but you could easily substitute noodles or nothing at all.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4adccba3c962.jpg[/atsimg]

1 - 1½ pounds boneless pork fillets
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
¼ cup water
3 medium onions, sliced
1 medium tomato, chopped
1½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon hot paprika
¼ teaspoon pepper
1/8 – ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 medium green pepper, cut into strips (red, orange or yellow pepper, or combination may be used as well)
4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
2 cups hot cooked rice

Trim any fat from pork, if necessary. Cut pork into ½-inch strips. (For ease in cutting, partially freeze pork for 45 minutes-1 hour).
Heat oil in 10-inch skillet or wok until hot. Cook and stir pork in oil over medium heat until brown, about 15 minutes; drain, if needed or desired.
Add water, onions, tomato, salt, paprika, pepper and red pepper. Cover and simmer until pork is tender, about 30 minutes. (Add water if necessary.)
Add pepper strips. Cover and simmer until green pepper is crisp-tender, 5-10 minutes.
Serve over rice. Top with crumbled feta cheese.

[edit on 3/29/2010 by Hadrian]

[edit on 3/29/2010 by Hadrian]

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Hadrian

Thanks for that mate!

Looks like a very nice meal and its also good to see a new post on this board, I normally spend the majority of my time on ATS but always come on the food & drink board here on BTS.

Unfortunately it seems to have gone quiet recently which is a shame as there has been some good articles.

Anyway, I'll let you know how the meal goes when I have the money to buy the ingredients!

new topics

join