It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are ATS'ers being framed as idiots too?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Wow, wow and wow!

ATS has changed so much since I have joined. It's obvious simply obvious we have been infiltrated by BIG BROTHA but seriously.

WHAT'S UP with all these posts with very bad grammar and spelling?

I think these posts are being posted to make us look like idiots to newcomers looking for truth!

Have you noticed this and what's your take?

[edit on 3/29/2010 by Chaos Lord]

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 04:16 AM
link   
I'd say it's just the result of ATS getting bigger and drawing more people in. Not everyone who finds the site is going to have great spelling and grammar. (Though I definitely recommend a spell-check add-on if you're using firefox. Catches all your spelling mistakes for you, well most of them anyway.) Plus it's the internet and people in general are horrible about using shorthand and text-speak for forums. It's a miracle there aren't hundreds of posts an hour using numbers for letters really.

I don't think it's a concerted effort to make everyone here look like an idiot though. Just people who either don't notice or don't care if their posts are full of spelling and grammar errors. On the bright side, my bad grammar translating abilities have greatly improved.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Chaos Lord

I take the opposite view because if big brother as you say had infiltrated this site then I would assume their grammar would be impeccable as those in government - loath them or not - are not fools as the highly educated and highly intelligent tend to work in government.

Also I do not think It would serve them well to try and bring down a site such as this by flooding it with bad spellers and the grammatically (sic?) lacking because if they were to succeed then would the members not simply disperse to a new site or group of sites and the hard work of the infiltrator would have been made much more difficult as the operation would need to restart. The new sites would already be shining out like a cyber beacon into the web and suddenly be much more suspicious?

The grammatical errors that you have mentioned indicates to me more that younger members habitually firing from the hip have joined rather than that a new campaign by a government is afoot to make us here look like a bunch of yammering nimrods.

I do not think ATS has changed that much by the way as I have lurked here for a very long time and the changes I have seen are that members come and go and sometimes grammar takes a dive or a rise but in the end it is the message in the text not the spelling that matters to me.

That said perhaps I am biased and do not noticed in depth what you have noticed?

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Well after reading a few threads over the past couple weeks I'd say that some members are idiots...absolute mumbo jumbo...just words mixed together with a question mark at the end

+ I'm not a spelling and grammar Nazi...as long as I can understand what the post is about I'm fine

[edit on 29-3-2010 by Pockets]

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by SmokeJaguar67

but wouldnt that then be the perfect cover for a federal agent.... an idiot?

You would obviously never suspect it..... those clever bastards!!!! GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Unfortunitely many experienced members left ATS after one particula member quit following a disagreement with the way forward on ATS. From that day this site has certainly changed.

In regads to the gramma and spellin, I urge you not to be one of those members who pik on others because of their wordins, don't forget ENGLISH is not everyons first language.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf

I cannot see it being effective on a site that gives the option to slap the idiot on ignore as an example those who come here stammering religious rhetoric, badly thought out opinions or time after time post in anger and disrespect toward their fellow members.
Such behaviour becomes irritating and just as quickly dispatched via ignore and I am sure the ignore feature is used quite liberally on ATS.

Governments would recognize this I am sure and the last thing they would assault a site such as this with would be an army of paid fools because the use of such people would be firstly inefficient and secondly their impact would fall away dramatically with every click of the ignore button.

Of course I see your point and you may be correct but without evidence I have to disagree with such a point for being to my mind too unrealistic!

[edit on 29-3-2010 by SmokeJaguar67]

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 05:58 AM
link   
It's so funny you would post this. Just today, there is a thread on ATS where the people on it are accusing the OP of being disingenuous because he writes too well!

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   
I wouldn't say it's BIG BROTHA as you put it - just an increase of younger folk bringing in the hip new internet lingo, which, unfortunately some older folk pick up on too. I would have to agree though, it is super annoying to read. It doesn't matter if the information is logical and makes a valid point, I don't want to read it if 'its tYpD lyk DiS lol omg rofl!!!11!'
And yes, run it through spell check if they're unsure on the spelling. I do.

[edit on 7/4/10 by Ashtree]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   
I wouldnt hold it against posters about grammar and spelling. If anything that should be a sign that big brother isnt here. I mean they do have bigger fish to fry. If they were here their posts would be targeted and relevant to specific subjects of interest. To monitor ATS they dont need to post like alot of people they would just lurk.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
reply to post by SmokeJaguar67

I think you have that backwards.

Idiot is natural to them, smart is hard undercover work ... requires independent thought.

[edit on 7 Apr 2010 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Chaos Lord

ATS is becoming a tool of propaganda. I make a post that is anti-progressive and I have a group of posters I know that will attack me as soon as push the reply button. It is what it is. They know me I know them. They fight for the TPTB I fight for freedom and what the founders had in mind. They might win the argument but there movement is based in lies so in the end they will lose.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   
I am fairly new to ATS, but in my short time I have learned to ignore the people who do not take their time to write out a well written post/reply. (unless it's easily noticable that English is not their first language) But the discussion here does remind me of the great David Duchovny from Californication.

Hank Moody on LOL and Internet
Sadly his words are very true.

I will say that I have seen some of the best writing here than I ever have anywhere else as well. It goes both ways. So to answer the question, maybe the people here are trying to be framed as idiots (like every anti-government movement), but then there are millions who see/know the truth who can decide for themselves.

top topics

join