It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what is reality?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I like all the different points of view here. All are interesting and are good opinions. I esp likes that pic of the rope. I think that describes reality quite well.
I posted a vid up earlier, a clip from the matrix. Most people believe that the things that are real, are the things that we can see, taste, smell, touch and hear. Anything that cannot be experienced through those senses does not exist, and therefore is not real. We have to realize that as humans, we are only exposed to a very small percentage of "reality". There is in fact much more to this world than we can experience and describe.
For example, our sight. We can only see the visible light spectrum. If you look at the entire spectrum, the visible light which we can see, is only a very small part of the whole. There are infrared, ultraviolet, gamma, etc. These are parts of the spectrum which we cannot see, but they exist just as much as the colors that we see.
We must be aware that everything is made up of waves. objects, which seem so solid to us, is mostly made up of empty space. the things we can feel are merely just particles vibrating at a very low frequency. Our sense of touch is only so sensitive, There is probably a whole world out there that we cannot feel because it is vibrating at a frequency that our sense of touch cannot experience.
Same goes with our other senses. There are sounds that are too high for us to hear, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. It just means that we cannot experience them.
This jst means that there is so much more to this so called "reality" than we think. The majority of people would say that the only things that are real are the things that we can sense. You have to understand that our mind has to simplify the information being sent to the brain, because this world is way too complex for our mind to understand. What we experience is a simplified version of the world around us so to speak. We would not be able to handle all the information that is around us.
There is more to the world than meets the senses.
Hope that helps you to lok at the world from a new perspective

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by OLDMATE

Dear OLDMATE

Yes nothing against it in fact if I had to chouse a religion I would probable go for Buddhism.

Having said that I live in a place that is 95% Buddhist and they go to the temple to be granted GOOG LUCK nothing more, the religion is next to none existent. Having said that Buddhism is much more a way of life than a real religion even with the best of them.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by MAC269

Thats the whole reason i beleive many of the same things as buddhists...because as you say its a way of life....The sacred texts teach you different ways of looking at things, instead of telling you how to live your life.

P.S. I don't consider myself buddhist or taoist or anything really, I have my own beliefs and i don't need other people to agree with them to be sure in them.

This i beleive is the truest for lack of better word "religion" there is....your own beliefs.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by MAC269
reply to post by ashanu90

Dear ashanu90

Obviously this post needs to be here as well.

Now then if it is reality that you want to take about try this one.

There is another PHD who is considered by other PHD’s to be on the level of Einstein and Hawkin who suggests that concusses ness is the only reality.

In other words nothing exists until someone observers it. Nothing.

Yes!!! Finally someone out there gets it. Intuitively speaking we can see the truth of this in deep meditation where one reaches a state of consciousness that is conscious of nothing. And then the only thing you can be sure of is that reality consists of nothing. Think of it like this, when you shut off all the five senses so that you see, hear, smell, feel, or taste nothing, how can you be sure that anything is real? For it is only by seeing, hearing, smelling, feeling, and tasting things that we confirm their existence, their reality as it were. In deep meditation when the five senses have been effectively shut down, then reality as we know it disappears, or rather reality as you know it ceases to exists because you the observer are no longer observing it.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Yes!!! Finally someone out there gets it. Intuitively speaking we can see the truth of this in deep meditation where one reaches a state of consciousness that is conscious of nothing. And then the only thing you can be sure of is that reality consists of nothing. Think of it like this, when you shut off all the five senses so that you see, hear, smell, feel, or taste nothing, how can you be sure that anything is real? For it is only by seeing, hearing, smelling, feeling, and tasting things that we confirm their existence, their reality as it were. In deep meditation when the five senses have been effectively shut down, then reality as we know it disappears, or rather reality as you know it ceases to exists because you the observer are no longer observing it.

It is not reality that ceases to exist but the perception thereof. You could say that reality ceases to exist for YOU (i.e. the experience ceases). This is not what reality is for me. Reality is beyond the experience. It is the origin or source of the things we can observe and not observe.

When discussing these matters language becomes everything.

Reality is there, no matter if you perceive it or not. I knew a man who got hit by a truck. He did not see it coming. He knew nothing of it. It did exist though, believe me.

For me, 'reality' is the concept of 'all' or 'source'. Everything else is the perception of a part or a single perspective on the whole.

For me it makes sense to try and explain it as that which is the origin of all that is perceivable and non perceivable. Getting into experience etc is 'qualia'.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Most Infamous

Dear Most Infamous

Yea well I didn’t say I believed it just reporting what I had heard the boffin say.

You can put me or anybody else for that matter in a sensory deprivation tank for as long as you like and while you are unable too sense anything everything is still out there.

I think it is just that when anybody mentions meditation my eyes just glaze over.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
There is no such thing as "Non-Existence". Even if you imagine a tree falling down where there was no one to witness. It was witnessed by everything that was THERE, since everything is consciousness, the ground, the soil, the plants, even the air. The fact that you imagined it, was a thought and 'Thought forms' make up the entire universe. It can be said that we are nothing but thought forms and the reason why you and i even exist is because someone 'dreamed' us up.

Everything is made up by a thought, thought manifests. Which is what the 'genie' is good at.

Starting from 4th density whatever you think will happen. Thoughts become your reality and you are the master of your thoughts.

Right now it would be cosmic joke if someone said: 'We hope your thoughts manifest'.

How hard is it to comprehend this: Creation/universe/everything is infinite existence, how can there be something that does not exist ? What you dont know is also known.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by altamash

Yes but then the question is, Does the tree exist in YOUR reality? If you don't know of it's existance, is it real for you? If something happens that is undetectable did it ever happen?

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by OLDMATE

Yes but then the question is, Does the tree exist in YOUR reality? If you don't know of it's existance, is it real for you? If something happens that is undetectable did it ever happen?

Not far away from you are beings in another country whos reality you are not aware of, does that mean they dont exist for you ?

Try to fathom this again: Non-existence is simply a mere thought and when this thought actually manifests by entering a black hole or some other means, the result is sleeping consciousness found in primordial matter. 1st density beings, rocks, minerals, water, air etc. This is also referred to as the sleeping part of 'god'.

Regardless of something is or isnt part of my reality the truth is that everything possible ad infinitum, has happened. Even if you think of killing someone, it has happened in some thought domain.

Only thing that did not exist in your above example is the awareness of the event and awareness obviously is what makes up the level of development in beings,

Food for thought: do you know what you just ate is fatal to your health, if you are not aware of it does it mean it does not exist and you will be un-harmed ?

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 03:13 AM
link   

sorry to disagree

apparantly you lack the concept of reality, objective reality always is alive it has nothing to do with god, sleeping or not

the fact that you were not real with reality to sense its life from yours concern yourself reality alone and so for god that apparantly you love to wait his signs of being awake so you could pretend confusing yourself reality with his means to your life that you invent for sure from any sense you pretend to yourself being grasp of god character powers means

the problem is also what you can invent about everyone that they are worse then you by never having any sense of existing unless they sense god telling them so
but you cant in anyways invent that objective reality dont exist independantly of any god and always alive free at infinite spots points

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 03:26 AM
link   
This is a very difficult topic as one who has been subjected to a decade of psycotronic,spiritual and technological warfare due to refusing to serve on her majestys occult secret service my reality would only be shared by one in ten million inhabitants on this planet.What I will say is that the elite are in hollywood and often give you more than a few clues as to the 'reality' of this demented planet.

Starting with the Wizard of Oz I would also include for some understanding of the red pill reality Vanilla Sky,The Matrix movies,Brigadoon,Dark City and many others.

But unless you've been through what i've been through you would never concieve of the technologies and magic available to the powers that be,quantum physics and mechanics,alterations of time and space and interdimensional experiences are not the domain of the masses,to try and communicate reality to the 99 percentile is like trying to teach a pig to sing chances are it wont work and will only piss off the pig,sheep will not change their world view.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by anglodemonicmatrix

look anyone can admit those two points

nothing exist so respect that fact is to not go under

and absolute source exist so what you know being definitely positive let it free

anyone can do this ok?? and love your gods as much as you want in between nothing and freedom absolute life

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by imans

im sorry but your weakness in english has lead you to judge me without knowing anything about my ideas. Secondly whatever you have stated does not make sense with the context of my post.

And are you using an online translator to post this from your native language ?

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 05:07 AM
link   

how am i translating anything from anywhere when obviously i am only talking about you in your expression here objectively when all there is of is your words to reply to its reality language whatever it is

i dont have time mister to translate anything nor in form or depth, i am always out and always the living source of now out

so you proove how all i said about you is exactly the best of you that you would never be and how the general justification reality source is fundamentally appliable on yourself

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by imans

i dont understand that insistence to abuse the appareance of by english weakness to use as an argument against me

with all i give in english to truth sources and realities life it is obvious how this is me and my choice freedom expression

i could write in french if i meant to structure better the form of my opinions, but obviously what i want is simply that freedom i found in english to stay always out and say whatever i want

hypocrisy work physically only since you cant hide behind what is not your moves, but words dont allow this especially infront of me so you loose forever, that is the least conclusion here

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 05:19 AM
link   
hypocrisy work physically only since you cant hide behind what is not your moves,

correction, since you can hide behind what is not your moves

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by altamash
Not far away from you are beings in another country whos reality you are not aware of, does that mean they dont exist for you ?

Yes thats exactly what i mean, reality is subjective. All realities are different.
E.g. In a housewife's "reality" there are no deaths or injuries caused by gunfire, But thats exactly the reality military people are in.

Try to fathom this again: Non-existence is simply a mere thought and when this thought actually manifests by entering a black hole or some other means, the result is sleeping consciousness found in primordial matter. 1st density beings, rocks, minerals, water, air etc. This is also referred to as the sleeping part of 'god'.

I subscribe to this ideaology aswell, all being part of the larger, but also individual aswell. I'm taking 'god' to mean a higher being, not the Catholic/Christian/Islamic god...

Food for thought: do you know what you just ate is fatal to your health, if you are not aware of it does it mean it does not exist and you will be un-harmed ?

Thats exactly what would happen, its somewhat like the placebo effect. But only if NOBODY knew it was poisonous, otherwise it would be fatal still, because somebody else knows it to be so...

[edit on 6-4-2010 by OLDMATE]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Wait... so are you saying that if you made enough people believe something was toxic, it would be so? I know if you believed something you ate was poisonous, your mind would make you feel sick just because of your belief, but what if you personally didnt know it was bad for you, but many other people believed so?

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by bulletproof_monk

well thats the idea to extremes, and it may only be possible if the person eating the food thinks its toxic. This is only speculation...

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Reality: The belief that efforted Physical Nature will result in some action.

"Where there's a will there's a way" type stuff...

Reality is a state of mind, as is having to deal with physical actions of others.

"That's Life..."

Reality is a state of mind, where the believer is sustained within oneself.

Bluff, can be rebuffed. Old game...

Talking to much, punch in the kisser, you know that one.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join