It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Undetectable E.T.'s? World-Leading Physicist Says "They Could Exist in Forms We Can't Conceive"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   
www.dailygalaxy.com...

Quote from source:
The intriguing remark was made by Lord Martin Rees, a leading cosmologist and astrophysicist who is the president of Britain’s Royal Society and astronomer to the Queen of England. Rees, who last month hosted the National Science Academy’s first conference on the possibility of alien life, said he believes the existence of extra terrestrial life may be beyond human understanding.

“They could be staring us in the face and we just don’t recognize them. The problem is that we’re looking for something very much like us, assuming that they at least have something like the same mathematics and technology."

“I suspect there could be life and intelligence out there in forms we can’t conceive. Just as a chimpanzee can’t understand quantum theory, it could be there as aspects of reality that are beyond the capacity of our brains.”

During the conference entitled ‘The Detection of Extra-terrestrial Life and the Consequences for Science and Society’, Rees asked whether the discovery of aliens would cause terror or delight on earth, the Telegraph reported.

However, Frank Drake, the founder of SETI and Drake's Equation, told the conference that satellite TV and the “digital revolution” was making humanity invisible to aliens by cutting the transmission of TV and radio signals into space. The earth is currently surrounded by a 50 light year-wide “shell” of radiation from analogue TV, radio and radar transmissions. According to Drake, digital TV signals would look like white noise to a race of observing aliens.

Although the signals have spread far enough to reach many nearby star systems, they are rapidly vanishing in the wake of digital technology, said Drake. In the 1960s, Drake spearheaded the conversion of the Arecibo Observatory to a radio astronomy center. As a researcher, Drake was involved in the early work on pulsars. Drake also designed the Pioneer plaque with Carl Sagan in 1972, the first physical message sent into space. The plaque was designed to be understandable by extraterrestrials should they encounter it.

Now this is the stuff I like. I think if there is E.T. life who is to say they would even be similar to us? Because of our ignorance we think they would, and not to say it is an impossibility, but they could be based on another element rather than carbon.

It is very intriguing and scary at the same moment. Same thing goes with dimensions, we think they are right in front of us but yet we can't see them. Cool and scary.

I am interested in other's opinions on this subject because I like it, so let get a good discussion going.

The truth is in front of us. *X-files music in background*

Any thoughts?

Pred...

[edit on 28-3-2010 by predator0187]

[edit on 28-3-2010 by predator0187]

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

They might also be out of phase with our reality...180 degrees opposite of us right down to the subatomic level. They could be in your house and what not right now looking and studying this strange life form that is intent on polluting its planet.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   
It takes a physicist to say that and still be taken seriously, my intitial thought was duh could of asked a child, but im so glad so see the mainstream paradigm stretching.

Astronomer to the Queen of England hey, could be some disclosure build up going on, I doubt it would ever be a shocking single announcment, if it were to ever happen, slow build up from cridible people would be the way.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I agree 100% with the possibility. How can we say that every life form in the universe has to resemble ours ? I have held this belief for some years now.

This is one thing that has always disturbed me, is for those 'in the know' to proclaim that life cannot exist on planet 'xyz' simply because 'we' cannot find any evidence of water on said planet.

Just because life as we experience it requires water does not rule out the possibility that other life-forms exist which do not require water. The same goes for oxygen.

And just because we are limited by our five senses does not prove that there isn't life-forms that are beyond the perception of those senses. I have always felt this way,it is not something that I was taught anywhere.

There could be life on the moon,or Mars for all we know, simply because we don't 'have what it takes' to know how to look for it.

I'm sure that if you went to the jungles of South America,you could still find some primitive tribe that would not believe in automobiles,internet,or space-shuttles.,simply because they have never experienced these things,does not make them any less real.

Simply because we have not experienced 'proof' of e.t.life, does not 'prove' that it doesn't exist.

I have never understood the EGO of those who ridicule the possibility of life other than we know it .

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

Sir Martin is always an interesting rees - sorry, I mean read.

No aid and comfort here for the They Have Come Among us confraternity, I'm afraid. Undetectable aliens wouldn't be zooming through the sky in flying saucers or kidnapping hamburger addicts from trailer parks.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Please contribute to the ongoing discussion located here:

Ongoing

Closing

Thank you

Semper

new topics

top topics

join