It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why i think time travel is impossible

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by xxshadowfaxx

Dear xxshadowfaxx

The prime order, if someone comes back from the future the one thing they must not do is affect there history. Or they may well disappear in a puff of smoke.

That is why it is soooo dangerous.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
It's not only possible, but has been done, is being done and will be done.
Past, present and future all exist at the same time, as time is not linear.
There are those who know this, and are able to manipulate and "jump" from one time to another.
We are not just observing a time shift now, or even waiting for one to occur again...
Timelines have been altered over and over..by those who wish to oppress and rule.

I know! Here's the proof!

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by ashanu90

Dim people shouldn't contemplate time travel.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ha`la`tha

There are those who know this, and are able to manipulate and "jump" from one time to another.
We are not just observing a time shift now, or even waiting for one to occur again...
Timelines have been altered over and over..by those who wish to oppress and rule.

I know! Here's the proof!

Why yes, it takes true insight to find hard proof in a comic strip..especially when it's posted multiple times.
There is a joke forum on BTS for such..
Go read a book on physics and then come back here.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 06:35 AM
link   
The Rovers would still be able to travel as their materialistic characters (eg. Iron, Metals etc) would still be sustainable even back in 1901. Wether theoretically time-travel would keep those rover's as how they were made in the present day, or simply turn to rocks in their "present" state in 1901 is up for debate.

But as a Human would instantly either vanish/die, if we could sustain direct contact with the Rovers as we do with the ones on Mars (already a form of Time Travel), then there's no end as to how far back in time we can take them.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Whenever I hear about Time Travel, I think back to one of my Philosophy classes where the subject was brought up when discussing Paradoxes. The tutor told the class about the Grandfather Paradox. From that moment onwards I felt as though the subject was much more complex and intricate than I had previously thought it to be.

Grandfather Paradox - Wikipedia

The grandfather paradox is a proposed paradox of time travel first described (in this exact form) by the science fiction writer René Barjavel in his 1943 book Le Voyageur Imprudent (The Imprudent Traveller).[1] Nevertheless, similar (and even more mind-boggling) paradoxes had already been described, for instance by Robert A. Heinlein in "By His Bootstraps". The paradox is this: suppose a man travelled back in time and killed his biological grandfather before the latter met the traveller's grandmother. As a result, one of the traveller's parents (and by extension the traveller himself) would never have been conceived. This would imply that he could not have travelled back in time after all, which means the grandfather would still be alive, and the traveller would have been conceived allowing him to travel back in time and kill his grandfather. Thus each possibility seems to imply its own negation, a type of logical paradox.

[edit on 29/3/2010 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I have to add my 2 cents this thread has been driving me insane, iv posted on alot of time travel threads in the past so il just add my quick 2 cents in simple English for beginners to understand.
Time doesn't exist just the atmosphere changes, time is a way to quantify changes and motions. Since the earth and everything upon it is continually moving, humans need a way to measure the changes in events. some people say that aging is proof of time, but aging is only a proof that we change (our appearance) due to physical changes caused by friction, which does not support time. time is a man made concept/meaning which was invented to organize events in life. TIME IS NOT LINEAR, time is used to keep track of what you do, and to separate the day and night so the way we live is broken down into suitable arrangements. Time travel is only possible if the theory of infinite universes is correct, if that was the case then time travel would really be called, event travel, as you a traveling to a point in space when that event accured IN THAT UNIVERSE. Think about it carefully here, in our universe there exists only ONE of us, one you and one me. The infinite universes gives the infinite possibility of what accures in our lifetimes.
without this, time travel would be impossible. why? because there is only one earth in this universe (from what we know).

Time is only used to measure when the event took place for us to understand it easier corresponding to our time line language.

I could go on and on into more detail and complex explanations for the more experienced in this subject, if you wish i can post it later on with better structure and explanation and sources etc. I'm pretty sure experts of time travel will save me the hassle and post on this thread!

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Time travels in all directions, at any point of 'zero' or at an infinitely small event. That is to say, what you perceive to be an event is an event chosen by you out of an infinite set of possibilities, from the first inception of the 'event' the number of possibilities decrease until you reach a 'singularity', the point of infinite possibility. You are 'currently' a Human perceiving a limited perspective from one of infinity, the direction determines whether you'll reach a point of infinite possibility or none at all.

God is time. Time is eternal.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
One of the posters started but didnt quite finish his point; Time is how we measure motion, specifically the movement of the moon, earth, sun and planets within the solar system, and the solar system within the galaxy, and the galaxy within the Universe. This is the foundation for Time; movement of celestial objects.

Trying to travel thru time, is not possible Because you cannot travel back to the point the earth was located a year ago, a minute ago, or even a few seconds ago. That power will never exist as it means relocating the entire universe back to a point you are attempting to travel in time. Otherwise you materialize in empty space, or within a mountain range, as the earth will not stop spinning on its axis nor its orbit around the sun when you
" travel in time"
Time Travel will never occur.

Astronauts do not travel in time, but, due to the measuring of Motion, of which they are travelling slightly faster, time passes slower for them AT A RELATIVE RATE, than people on earth. However they did not Time Travel. They traveled at a slower RELATIVE RATE.

[edit on 29-3-2010 by Indigenous equity]

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   

can you explain to me how the past exists right now and how I could indeed manipulate this like you say is possible?

[edit on 29-3-2010 by jpm06002]

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ashanu90

I guess you've never taken xanax... take a half dozen of those suckers and BANG- you've just timecopped yourself 3 days ahead. Only seems to work in one direction though...

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Time is a human concept and does NOT exist in the natural world therefore time travel itself is a misnomer. Time is not the fourth dimension because it is a concept of relativity and perception.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by The Engi

you say time is god and god is eternal but on the science channel micheal kaku explained that time will eventually wither away and decompose and that we live in the "golden age" of time and time wont die for a very very long time
im not sure if any of this makes sense also are you saying god is a force and not a sentient being or what? im not sure what your saying

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by ROBL240
You could only go back in time to the point to when you know you was actually going to be.

eg. you was born in 1984, but went back in time to 1901, you'd die because you wouldn't have existed in 1901.
But IF you knew you was going to be going back in time say November 12th 2009, and a few days later you did the experiment and went back in time to that date, you would be aware you had gone back in time knowing that was the case.

I think were only limited by our physical capabilities, we could theoretically send machines (eg rovers) back into time, but not Humans.

so what if we went forward in time to a time way after we die and our bodies are completely decomposed and gone, would we just disapear?

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by ashanu90
and don't anyone even start with parrelell universe this or that if you go back in time your going back in your time not some other universes

ive heard some people say that, ive also heard something about "if your in a time machine then it doesn't matter because this or that" i don't even completely remember what was said but i do remember that it didn't sound very intelligent

Didn't sound intelligent???? Kind of like this sentence. Don't make threads if you can't support your theory.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by djbj597922

i consider this a pretty succesful thread so how about you keep your advice to yourself and actually contribute something to the thread since your so oppinionated

BOO!!!!!!!!!!!HISS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
The way I see it, if time travel were possible (which I doubt) any repercussions of changes to the past are already being felt. By that logic, the past and present are unchangeable, and only the future can be changed. But, then again, what is the future but the past of its own future?

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indigenous equity

One of the posters started but didnt quite finish his point; Time is how we measure motion, specifically the movement of the moon, earth, sun and planets within the solar system, and the solar system within the galaxy, and the galaxy within the Universe. This is the foundation for Time; movement of celestial objects.

Trying to travel thru time, is not possible Because you cannot travel back to the point the earth was located a year ago, a minute ago, or even a few seconds ago. That power will never exist as it means relocating the entire universe back to a point you are attempting to travel in time. Otherwise you materialize in empty space, or within a mountain range, as the earth will not stop spinning on its axis nor its orbit around the sun when you
" travel in time"
Time Travel will never occur.

Astronauts do not travel in time, but, due to the measuring of Motion, of which they are travelling slightly faster, time passes slower for them AT A RELATIVE RATE, than people on earth. However they did not Time Travel. They traveled at a slower RELATIVE RATE.

[edit on 29-3-2010 by Indigenous equity]

I don't see why with wormhole technology you couldn't arrive at a star at any point in it's life span observed from your planet. Therefore you could time travel. Travel deep space through wormholes and return back home at a faster rate of speed through wormholes. Think of traveling light years through space using the point a to point b folded paper theory.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Wormholes are travelling through space, not time. If they bend space and provide a shortcut its through linear space, but not through time itself. Time will pass slower for someone travelling through them, but they do not violate the tenants of time; you cannot travel backwards or forwards, but only at slower relative rate to those observing

There are certain rules in the Universe, one of them is the motion of celestial objects. They will not stop and or rotate in reverse to allow for time travel.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigenous equity

Dear Indigenous equity

From Indigenous equity “Astronauts do not travel in time, but, due to the measuring of Motion, of which they are travelling slightly faster, time passes slower for them AT A RELATIVE RATE, than people on earth. However they did not Time Travel. They traveled at a slower RELATIVE RATE.”

Please can you explain why all the boffins that I have read about heard or seen say you are wrong???

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join