It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians are discriminated against and 'treated with disrespect', senior bishops warn

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Yeah, why do the British people continue to let their rights be stripped from them? I don't get the whole CCTV phenomenon either. That is some seriously scary stuff right there. From the country that gave us Alan Moore and George Orwell, you would think that this sort of thing would germinate more in the minds of the English. It's a pity because I love the people and I would love to see the UK become a constitutional republic much like the US.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by justinsweatt
Yeah, why do the British people continue to let their rights be stripped from them? I don't get the whole CCTV phenomenon either. That is some seriously scary stuff right there. From the country that gave us Alan Moore and George Orwell, you would think that this sort of thing would germinate more in the minds of the English. It's a pity because I love the people and I would love to see the UK become a constitutional republic much like the US.

Now go back and read more than the thread title and see if you have anything to say that makes sense. This is not about people's rights. This is about an obvious and sensible hospital policy. The only thing new is someone trying to turn it into some kind of discrimination.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
No, I read through the threads and I swear I wasn't trying to post off topic. I was just commenting on what others had said concerning personal freedoms and England. I concur that I probably should have either started another thread or posted that in a more appropriate place. I do apologize.

To comment on what's going on, I find it dubious when someone tries to reject someone because of their faith, sexual orientation, or skin color. In my opinion, we should recognize Satanists as much as we recognize Christians. We should recognize Athiests and as much as we cognize Hindus. Everyone should be treated the same. For me, life is life, and the fact that someone is so bored that they have to start discriminating against a particular group is disheartening.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by justinsweatt

Dude you are right on topic... This IS about peoples rights... I used the article to highlight the loss of liberties in this country... But some would use this as an excuse to Christian bash.... Post on dude

[edit on 31-3-2010 by Yissachar1]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by justinsweatt
No, I read through the threads and I swear I wasn't trying to post off topic. I was just commenting on what others had said concerning personal freedoms and England. I concur that I probably should have either started another thread or posted that in a more appropriate place. I do apologize.

Sorry, that is not really what I meant either. Off topic is one thing but I read it as yet another post comparing this article to some huge ordeal of discrimination or a loss of rights when it clearly is not. I see what you are commenting about and I get ya there.

To comment on what's going on, I find it dubious when someone tries to reject someone because of their faith, sexual orientation, or skin color. In my opinion, we should recognize Satanists as much as we recognize Christians. We should recognize Athiests and as much as we cognize Hindus. Everyone should be treated the same. For me, life is life, and the fact that someone is so bored that they have to start discriminating against a particular group is disheartening.

At least you have a good outlook towards others and all but I think that is even really more derailing done throughout this thread to distract you from the fact that this is simply some attention seeking bishop looking to use a logical hospital policy for his own gain.

I think people like this do a disservice to genuine complaints of discrimination by trivializing the plight in order to capitalize on it.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Yissachar1

Except this had nothing to do with loss of liberty. It had to do with a woman not being able to wear a piece of jewelry against hospital policy. She signed up for the job and all it's policies.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

No actually... That was just an example.. The main crux was the comments made by bishops about the seeming increase in discrimination against Christians in the UK in the workplace... And the loss of traditions too... Like many councils cancelling Christmas and rebranding it "winterfest"... Come on!! Yet Diwali can stay that and so can Ramadan... It seems to be another divide and conquer tactic by TPTB and is yet another layer on the loss of liberties in this country... One that criminalize's a gran for selling a goldfish yet would let a burglar off with a few hours CS..

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Yissachar1

www.dailymail.co.uk...

That was a poor example then. It's what you linked. There is nothing in the bible that requires people to wear crosses so therefore it's not religious discrimination. The woman selling her gold fish might be silly but it has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

[edit on 31-3-2010 by antonia]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by antonia
These parents didn't want their kids being taught the bible in school and that's their right. The school had no business teaching it anyway.

and they also had the right to take their kids out of the said school... everyone knows they do not call the southern states of this union "the bible belt" for nothing. Heck they could even start their own school if they wanted to instead of attacking ours and the values we hold dear in our systems, crap the muslims did it and they have plenty of islamic schools in my area. Our foundations are built on these principals in our school and court systems I for one do not like the attacks as of the past 20.yrs...

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic.Artifact
the southern states of this union "the bible belt" for nothing

yeah they basically looked the same as say (you) jumping out of a helicopter in the middle of Mogadishu and then start yelling and telling everybody your a christian.

one sole case of discrimination and in the bible belt to boot ! Im sure CNN was bound to find something... heh!

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic.Artifact

and they also had the right to take their kids out of the said school... everyone knows they do not call the southern states of this union "the bible belt" for nothing. Heck they could even start their own school if they wanted to instead of attacking ours and the values we hold dear in our systems, crap the muslims did it and they have plenty of islamic schools in my area. Our foundations are built on these principals in our school and court systems I for one do not like the attacks as of the past 20.yrs...

It's not simply your school, it's the public's. I suppose you would have told all the black people who wanted integration to just go make their own schools? The law demands equal educational access for all children. In other words, you don't get to spit all over the little atheist kids because you don't like them. I live in the bible belt. I was never forced to study the bible in a public school. There is no place for it outside of a comparative religion course. You can't sit there and excuse illegal behavior because you happen to be Christian.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
the public is founded on a christian state (this is fact) not an islamic state or a atheos state ect... if they want one they are free enough here to start their own educational systems and places of worship.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Um, all of this hullaballoo because someone wants to wear a crucifix? Seriously? This is super ridiculous. Let them wear whatever the hell they want. That's a pretty subjective thing to get all bent out of shape about. I hate hot pants but you don't see me trying to make legislation saying that they should be outlawed or outlaw jerseys that people wear that are composed of teams I don't like. Wow, this is stupid. Preaching in class is one thing but someone just wearing a crucifix is totally a non-issue. Jeez, get pissed off about the fact that you have zero privacy in the UK.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Read the article. She was wearing jewelry that is against hospital code. It had nothing to do with it being a cross.

the public is founded on a christian state (this is fact) not an islamic state or a atheos state ect...

en.wikipedia.org...

Sorry, not how it works in this country.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   

I wish Abe and George were still alive so we could pose that question to them, lol

attack that which you do not understand, and surely you do not have a greater understanding of how this picture was painted... this picture which made it possible even for you to attack the foundation principals which made it possible for you.

there is not really any expression for this type of ignorance!

...like a dog that bites the hand that feeds him.

[edit on 31-3-2010 by Cosmic.Artifact]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic.Artifact

Funny you should mention George.
en.wikipedia.org...

He was quite alright with atheists. Really, if you want to speak of ignorance at least know who you are talking about. Most of the founders were deist and believed the government had no business in the church and vice versa. A public school making kids do bible studies is a state endorsement of religion as it is a state run operation.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Read the article. She was wearing jewelry that is against hospital code. It had nothing to do with it being a cross.

the public is founded on a christian state (this is fact) not an islamic state or a atheos state ect...

en.wikipedia.org...

I read it and I think the whole thing is totally RIDICULOUS. This is insane. It even says in the article that other faiths are allowed to wear their items so I really don't see what the big deal is. If it's a safety matter, a burka can get caught on a piece of machinery just as much as a necklace can, come on.

'This dedicated nurse, who has cared for thousands of patients over 30 years, was told by the Trust to remove from her neck a cross she first wore at her confirmation service over 40 years ago.
'She has worn the cross every day since her confirmation as a sign of her Christian faith, a faith which led her to her vocation in nursing, and which has sustained her in that vital work ever since.
'It would seem that the NHS Trust would rather lose the skills of an experienced nurse and divert scarce resources to fighting a legal case instead of treating patients.'

Now, if this woman is that good, I really don't care what she's wearing. She could be wearing a goat skull or a pendant of two guys engaging in copulation for all I care. As long as she's doing her job, really, who the hell cares. This is exactly what people are talking about when it comes to diversions in the press. The UK needs to get their house in order and seriously stop worrying about this crap, and that is exactly what this is: crap.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

There is nothing in the Koran that says you have to wear a burqa either yet no one would dare tell them to take that off even with health and safety issues they pose or security issues yet they do for a tiny cross... Its because left wing haters who are in charge will accept ANYTHING except Christianity...

Besides that.. There are deeper issues... This is just one branch of the attack on British culture by those who want to disassemble the UK and its traditions..... And put massive controls on our lives...... A labour spokesman admitted as much a few months ago...

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yissachar1
reply to post by antonia

There is nothing in the Koran that says you have to wear a burqa either yet no one would dare tell them to take that off even with health and safety issues they pose or security issues yet they do for a tiny cross... Its because left wing haters who are in charge will accept ANYTHING except Christianity...

Except the policy doesn't allow for the wearing of the burka. It discusses the headscarf, otherwise known as the Hijab. You may read about the Qua'ran here en.wikipedia.org...

There is not one thing in the bible that commands people to wear crosses. In fact, it can be interpreted as idolatry and a sin as the bible has passages condemning the wearing of jewelry. If the headscarf did indeed post a threat to people's health I'd say off with em. The difference here is metal surfaces can be a breeding ground for bacteria. Food service employees aren't allowed to wear jewelry for this reason and I would suspect it's the same for people who work in hospitals.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

I agree with not wearing a jewelry to show your faith. You keep your faith close to your heart not dangle it in front of others. Jesus even talk about this. He says, and I will paraphrase, if you do something good don't go to the highest mountains and tell the world. If you do something kind don't seek praise. If you fast don't gloat about it. Keep it between you and God.

As for the head scarf, I thought the myth was because the angels were lured by women and bore children with them because of their beauty. I could be wrong. I think the burqa is worn because the men get very jealous and they are very hot headed.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join