It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians are discriminated against and 'treated with disrespect', senior bishops warn

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by teapot

Hi teapot,

As a Christian, I am sorry but I have to disagree.

The so-called Christian missionaries went all over the world force-feeding their doctrine, and did a disservice to Christ.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yissachar1

Christians are discriminated against and 'treated with disrespect', senior bishops warn

www.dailymail.co.uk

Senior bishops today claimed Christians in Britain are being 'treated with disrespect' while followers of other faiths are dealt with more sensitively.
The six bishops and Lord Carey, the former Archbishop of Canterbury, said the 'apparent discrimination' against churchgoers was 'unacceptable in a civilised society'.
In a letter to The Sunday Telegraph, the bishops point to the case of Shirley Chaplin, a nurse who was banned from working on hospital wards for wearing a necklace with a cross.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.dailymail.co.uk

[edit on 28-3-2010 by Yissachar1]

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 28/3/2010 by Mirthful Me]

Why is a bishop of the Catholic church talking about Christianity?

Christianity and Catholicism are two very different things.

One is idol worship (ANTI-Christian), the other is not.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by HIWATT

I could not agree with you more!!!

Unfortunately, Catholicism calls itself Christian.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 05:21 AM
link   
This wreaks of trying desperately to rally the troops after the head honcho has been accused of turning a blind eye to child molesting priests. More smoke and mirrors (deflection) from the vatican IMHO.

Whatever trouble the Church is currently in is completely self inflicted.

IRM

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by K J Gunderson:

Exactly, just as Christians should respect other religions as well as those without religion...

those without religion...! Everyone is born into a ethical/moral cast of some sort. One does not have to think very hard to come to the ends that religion (all of them) are our cultural identities.

[edit on 30-3-2010 by Cosmic.Artifact]

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by teapot

Ask any Christian when last they were accused of attempting to force doctrine on others just because they admit to being Christian!

Christians are trying to force doctrine on others all the time in the U.S. It must be nice to not have to deal with that in the UK.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic.Artifact

those without religion...! Everyone is born into a ethical/moral cast of some sort. One does not have to think very hard to come to the ends that religion (all of them) are our cultural identities.

Huh? Where do you get this from? Not only do not all people have religion but not even all societies have religion.

You can have ethics without religion. They are two very very different things.

I am not sure what that statement is really supposed to mean but it is incorrect. People are born without religion all the time. I most certainly was.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Huh? Where do you get this from? Not only do not all people have religion but not even all societies have religion.

You can have ethics without religion. They are two very very different things.

I am not sure what that statement is really supposed to mean but it is incorrect. People are born without religion all the time. I most certainly was.

Its there weather you acknowledge it or not... are you trying to tell me there are people out there in this world who would not ask the question (why am I here?) even at some point in their life.

this is the basis and beginnings of all religions, the questions are unavoidable !

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

The pope is NOT my head honcho dude...

I have no head honcho on earth....

Especially a priest of dagon and a pedophile enabler

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Its there weather you acknowledge it or not... are you trying to tell me there are people out there in this world who would not ask the question (why am I here?) even at some point in their life.

Not only am I telling you that, but there are also people that ask "what is my purpose in life" which has nothing to do with "what imaginary thing can I credit with it?"

You are mistaking internal existential questions for a quest for a god. They are not the same thing. You are also claiming that every single person on the planet goes through this. That is simply not true. I do not even have to try that hard to prove it to you. There was an obituary in my paper the other day for an 11 month old baby. How much time do you suppose that baby spent pondering god? Please tell me.

this is the basis and beginnings of all religions, the questions are unavoidable !

You will notice that not all peoples come to religion so either this is not just a path to religion or not all people search the way you seem to insist.

Basically, you are saying something you want to believe but you know you could never actually assess or prove for real. I am speaking as a person without religion to you right now. Which seems more realistic? Your empty hopeful rhetoric or the fact that I actually exist?

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Yissachar1

I never suggested you personally recognize the pope as your spiritual 'head honcho'. I merely speak of him in context as the publicly accepted head of the Catholic Church (which is indisputable). You are not the church.

Whether you recognize him as any type of spiritual leader is an entirely different thing.

IRM

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   

(1)You are mistaking internal existential questions for a quest for a god. They are not the same thing. (2)You are also claiming that every single person on the planet goes through this. That is simply not true. I do not even have to try that hard to prove it to you. There was an obituary in my paper the other day for an 11 month old baby. How much time do you suppose that baby spent pondering god? Please tell me.

1. so the quest for god or knowledge of god is not religion ?
2. your analogy is easily debunked because I had already stated everyone is born into a caste, had this baby not have passed away it would undoubtedly been raised by is societal environment and by that which principals were taught by the parents.

(1)You will notice that not all peoples come to religion so either this is not just a path to religion or not all people search the way you seem to insist.

Basically, you are saying something you want to believe but you know you could never actually assess or prove for real. I am speaking as a person without religion to you right now. Which seems more realistic? Your empty hopeful rhetoric or the fact that I actually exist?

and atheism has to be the biggest insult of them all, If I were an alien visiting planet earth for the fist time and I observed its religions I would lump atheism on the same side of the street as satanism... The (I am God) theory is just so self centered and ignorant, do they really think this is something new ? well it's not and it is just another religion just like all the rest so they are no better (the hypocritical side to this is they think they are) and they think they are on to something new... pfft !

1. one thing you will notice is all peoples come to the 'questions' as they come of age, what factors their intellectual level is which philosophies they come to... this is reflected bigtime in societal advancement of planet earths cultures/civilizations thought history.

imo Christianity rocks \m/

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by HIWATT
Why is a bishop of the Catholic church talking about Christianity?

Christianity and Catholicism are two very different things.

Not really. Catholicism is a subset of Christianity. Christian is simply a group who professes belief in Jesus as the Christ.

are you trying to tell me there are people out there in this world who would not ask the question (why am I here?)

Oh, no. I would bet all people ask the question. Just not everyone makes up an answer to it.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Knowledge and god are not the same thing and the search for either is not universal. Feel free to PROVE me wrong.

2. your analogy is easily debunked because I had already stated everyone is born into a caste, had this baby not have passed away it would undoubtedly been raised by is societal environment and by that which principals were taught by the parents.

But it did not live. It died. Are babies not part of everyone? I am not following at all. How can you say that a dead baby is something because of what it might have been had it lived?????

Besides, you debunked nothing. It could easily have grown up to be just like me - without religion.

and atheism has to be the biggest insult of them all, If I were an alien visiting planet earth for the fist time and I observed its religions I would lump atheism on the same side of the street as satanism...

You are perfectly welcome to have your own opinion about what you would think of Atheism were you a visiting intergalactic body. I would never try to take that from you.

The (I am God) theory is just so self centered and ignorant, do they really think this is something new ? well it's not and it is just another religion just like all the rest so they are no better (the hypocritical side to this is they think they are) and they think they are on to something new... pfft !

So...you are just using my post to rant about your hatred of Satanism? How did that even come into play?

1. one thing you will notice is all peoples come to the 'questions' as they come of age, what factors their intellectual level is which philosophies they come to... this is reflected bigtime in societal advancement of planet earths cultures/civilizations thought history.

That is just not true. You think it is but you have failed to show why twice now.

imo Christianity rocks \m/

Awesome. Enjoy it! You have no clue what atheism is actually about so how about you just enjoy your faith and stop worrying so much about what you believe EVERYONE ELSE is thinking?

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by K J Gunderson

Knowledge and god are not the same thing and the search for either is not universal. Feel free to PROVE me wrong.

knowledge (of) god, you forgot the (of)

I am brand new here and can already see you are very good at putting words in peoples mouths. (or more accurately taking words away) just as atheism is dependent on religion to exist. Just the mere fact that you/it/atheism does exist just represents Doubt...

I prefer the Truth !

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   

knowledge (of) god, you forgot the (of)

Good catch. So then we just go back to the fact that neither is universal.

I am brand new here and can already see you are very good at putting words in peoples mouths. (or more accurately taking words away)

Since you are new here, let me explain to you how accusations work. You have to show the proof, evidence, quote of what you are accusing me of. Otherwise you are a liar. I am sure you have something, so please put it where your accusation is.

just as atheism is dependent on religion to exist. Just the mere fact that you/it/atheism does exist just represents Doubt...

There is no logic there at all. Atheism is not dependent on religion to exist at all. You seem to be confusing something else with Atheism altogether. Do you know what Atheism means? You are mistakenly equating lack of belief with doubt. They are not the same thing.

I prefer the Truth !

Your posts thus far would indicate otherwise.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Wait Just a Minute Here

There is a policy against jewelry (or jewellery). This necklace IS jewelry. It's NOT because it's religious that there is a problem. It's because it's a possible danger to patients. Their policy doesn't allow necklaces!

Similar at my hospital: no necklaces unless worn under the clothes, no bracelets, no bangles, no rings other than a plain wedding band, no ear-rings other than the stud kind, no wrist-watches, long hair must be tied back, no fake nails, no nail varnish, no open-toed shoes, bare below the elbows and so on.

[edit on 30-3-2010 by Merriman Weir]

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Join the queue my Christian friends....

We are all discriminated against in one way or another, whether we are people of faith, non believers, people of colour, homosexuals, mentally ill, disabled, fat, thin, ugly, male or female.....The list goes on.

Why is this case any different to the possible 1000's of similar events that go on daily that are not picked up by the mainstream media.

I used to work as a Chef. As a rule, we were not allowed to wear jewellery for health and safety reasons. A chain like that could easily get caught in some of our equipment, it could break and drop into the food we were preparing, and ITEMS OF JEWELLERY ARE BIG BACTERIA BREEDING FACTORIES.

Does she wash and sanitise this chain daily? I bet she doesn't. Does she fiddle with it whilst on rounds, i don't know about you, but i always fiddle with my jewellery. Does she remember to wash her hands after she's touched her chain, before she puts the gloves on and sticks a canular into somebodies arm? or cleans and dresses someones wounds? What if it broke and dropped onto a patients wound site whilst she was dealing with them. What if there was an aggitated patient that makes a grab for it, hurting her neck?

This article is clearly a health and safety issue rather then a discriminatory one. But it also seems to have the subtle undertones of the media trying to divide and drive a wedge between a muticultural society by using religion as it's main argument. Don't let their words fool you.

[edit on 30-3-2010 by skitzspiricy]

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknows

Hi catwhoknows,

Agreed absolutely! But my understanding of my faith, my individual walk with God, has not shown me that I must make personal restitution to the world, or any other individual, for the sins of those who went before me.

Perhaps my path will lead me to understanding that by the very nature of my faith, my faith will be crucified? But the constant barages against Christians for the sins of those who were, clearly, not living spirit filled lives, is not what I believe my God actually wants for my life.

And as stated in the OP, there is a rise in disrespect for individuals who are not personally responsible for the disservice done to Christ.

The only real comfort this 21st century Christian can take is that these things have been foretold and must come to pass.

Peace be with you Bro.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by K J Gunderson

Originally posted by teapot

Ask any Christian when last they were accused of attempting to force doctrine on others just because they admit to being Christian!

Christians are trying to force doctrine on others all the time in the U.S. It must be nice to not have to deal with that in the UK.

Those people are idiots! They claim to be Christian but I cannot identify with anyone who attempts to force doctrine on another. I did see one post (maybe not in this Thread) advising that the poster had been awoken at 7.30am by people claiming to bringing him salvation! I do not for one moment believe that harassing people in this way is what God wants! And as such, those who do so, are idiots (and maybe worse?).

I do empathise with you guys in America, because you are right, it is nice! Although we do have to contend with the JW's!

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join