It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians are discriminated against and 'treated with disrespect', senior bishops warn

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
The disrespect may be caused by the fact that many so called Christians talk the talk but do not the walk the walk.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Equinox99

I have heard about it myself... I wonder if those guys could claim asylum in the UK so easily as their muslim counterparts??? I doubt it...

I wish i could help them.. Let me know if I can do something for these guys..

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by sadwolf

I agree... Those that dont walk the walk though are fake... Thats how you tell the difference..

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
It's the Daily Mail, I expect no less than fear mongering. As if Muslims are not discriminated against. They have to hear "terrorism" and "9/11" associated with their religion almost everyday when they turn on the TV. The Non-religious are put through hell for not being religious. Everyone has a sob story. Maybe the bishop should stop playing victim and get back to his job.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by sadwolf
The disrespect may be caused by the fact that many so called Christians talk the talk but do not the walk the walk.

That must be it, since all the Muslims are walking the walk, right? I'm not particularly religious, but I've been making a study of the "new wave" of atheism that is much promoted by the MSM. Having read the books authored by the leading lights of atheism, I've come to the conclusion that the core of hatred for Christians is fear. Not fear of Christians, but fear of what comes next. This leads to resentment of those who aren't concerned about what comes next, because they believe they know.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Errrrrm..... I hate to break this to ya but after 9/11 there was dancing in the streets in Palestine, Egypt and most other Muslim places... In the Mosques in the UK non believers are constantly being preached against and told to be killed by believers.. They also march through London with "behead all unbelievers" on bandannas and bibs put on their kids.. They disrupt marches of our troops shout at them, calling them baby killers and worse... But it is those that confront them that gets arrested.. Go figure...

Nobody is fooled by it anymore... And people are getting pissed...

But this aint about them... This is about the lawmakers cowering to them... It has to stop...

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yissachar1
reply to post by antonia

But this aint about them... This is about the lawmakers cowering to them... It has to stop...

Lawmakers ain't cowering to Muslims. They are using them as boogey men to sell wars. As for the demonziation, come off it. There are over a billion Muslims on this planet. Do you think they were all up in arms dancing in the streets because thousands of people died? No, just like there are a sizable minority of Christians who hold protests at the funerals of soldiers and hold celebrations when abortion doctors are murdered. That doesn't mean they are all like that, nor does it mean people should live in fear of them and work to actively keep them out of everyday life. Religion has become a cheap excuse to divide people and this is just further proof.

Ever thought this wave of atheism comes from the very fact people are sick of having religion shoved down their throat from every angle?

[edit on 28-3-2010 by antonia]

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Well, the minute christian institutions pay their taxes, just like any other social organisation, give up their subsidised access to our children & get their bishops out of the house of lords where they exercise disproportionate power in our democracy, then I'll agree that discriminating against them in the UK is uncalled for. In the meantime, it just goes some way to redressing the balance.
As an employer, if someone turned up to work for me wearing anything whatsoever that marked them out as practicing a particular religion, their job would be over within the week. Sadly, I couldn't just sack them for being a tool, but nobody is perfect: if I need to get rid of an employee, there's always a reason soon enough. As it happens, I've never had to sack someone for that, but then I wouldn't employ them in the 1st place.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Yissachar1

This is funny. Is there a question here?

There is a good reason they are being treated with disrespect.

They deserve it. Even the nuns don't respect this unreasonable self congratulating, patriarchy.

They brought it on themselves.

They may not ALL be child molesters... but their brotherhood of silence and complicity in harboring child molesters makes even the innocent among them guilty as sin by association.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Having been discriminated against for being a nonbeliever, I have little sympathy for them. I've never banged on some poor hungover christian's door at 7:30 in the morning and ranted at them about how wrong the bible is.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 04:43 AM
link   
my experience of Xtianity is that it is a religion that is intolerant to all who have a different faith it is also a meddlesome religion. By the age of 8 I had a complete bellyfull of their intolerant and hypocritical ways. However unlike the Xtians I have no intolerance towards those who wear crosses or anything else.

To respond to the specifics of the article what bothers me is that this brand of censoring did not appear before 911. I have a feeling that this is appeasement to Islamic terrorists which is wrong. Sadly we brits seem good at appeasement.

[edit on 29-3-2010 by Tiger5]

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 04:54 AM
link   
In my opinion this is well deserved but not to directed at one person or place of worship but at the whole idea people still believe in an outdated form of self control, im not a christian or a muslim or a jew or member of any other fundamentilist group, i think is sad that in this day and age we cant live as a member of just one group humanity!
respect your peers
live a clean life
and be true to your self not some imaginary friend
that voice you hear when you pray is YOU.
take this as you please as i said my opinion.
Flying Kiwi

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 05:07 AM
link   
I'm not a Christian by any stretch of the imagination. My own beliefs often meet with derision and frowning with a lot of Christians - although it's rare that I actually speak about them as it's none of anyone's business and I really don't like seeing anyone get too 'notice me!' about their religion, whatever it is. Keep it in your head, your heart and home, thanks.

That said, I still agree with the basic thrust of the argument in the story. Christianity does get less respect than other mainstream faiths in this country. Whilst, the Catholic faith is perhaps leaving itself open to some massive (and deserved) criticism, the Church of England et al seem to get treated with less respect and 'sensitivity' than Islam and Hinduism. It really is a case of 'don't upset the ethnic minorities' whilst Christian baiting seems to have become a sport or acceptable as entertainment.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by antonia

I concede to most of your points however there is indeed a great effort to destroy traditions that have been going on for years in the guise of not wanting to offend minorities:

IN recent years, there has been a wave of relentless and shameless attempts to hollow out our nation's deep-seated roots in the Christian faith. This is despite the fact that 72 per cent of the population say they are Christian. This week, a nurse in Devon is courageously taking her NHS Trust to an employment tribunal after being told she cannot wear a cross she has had since her confirmation 38 years ago. This follows the recent case of BA worker Nadia Eweida, who committed a similar "crime" of wearing a cross at work. Many Christians are content to practise their faith quietly and without fanfare. But these two cases symbolise a rot in our society. I and other Church leaders support these two brave women because their cases are merely the thin end of the wedge. We see many other situations, including the banning of school nativity plays, the inability of Christian charities to gain public funding and noise abatement orders on Sunday worshippers. This is not just about the capriciousness of local authorities, employers and the courts, it is also about Government and the State. The Church is facing an increasingly secular outlook which sees no place for religious believers in public life. Yet a faith which does not influence a believer's whole life is not a faith at all, merely a hobby or a preference. The Church and the family glue our society together, but they are being undermined. I urge Gordon Brown to reassure Christians, whether nominal or practising, that they matter. Nothing less will do. Read more: www.thesun.co.uk...

George Carey (former Archbishop of Canterbury)

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Well, the minute christian institutions pay their taxes, just like any other social organisation, give up their subsidised access to our children & get their bishops out of the house of lords where they exercise disproportionate power in our democracy, then I'll agree that discriminating against them in the UK is uncalled for.
reply to post by Bunken Drum

I agree about the taxes, however the fact is that there are millions of tax paying Christians and whether you like it or not have a right to be heard in parliament... They are citizens who vote too.... However those same lords you talked about have done nothing also to redress the balance of the current hatred and discrimination of Christians especially in government jobs and public services... However if you are a Muslim you are allowed to pray 5 times a day.. People are told off for eating around them on Ramadan and there are many other examples.... Also Sikhs can also wear out displays of faith... Whats wrong with a tiny flippin cross??

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 05:44 AM
link   
In the West, Christianity is probably the only faith legally and socially immune to hate crime. You can get away with some truly shocking and disrespectful behaviour when it is directed at Christians. A shame that things have come to this because the vast majority of Christians I know are great people.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 05:49 AM
link   
As far as religions go, the Church of England is a pretty benign denomination. It requires less from it's followers than any other prominent religions within our communities. Maybe this is why it's feeling discriminated against, because it doesn't shout as loud as other faiths within the UK.

I can't actually think of a religious person I know. I know no one who goes to church, most people just don't see how religion fits in with our modern understanding of the world due to the discoveries of science. The Church is a dying institution in the UK. Unfortunately other religions have a stronger hold over their followers and will therefor get more attention.

[edit on 29-3-2010 by woodwardjnr]

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yissachar1
In the Mosques in the UK non believers are constantly being preached against and told to be killed by believers..

Maybe that is your problem right there. I could care less what is preached in any private place of worship. The only people that ever come to my door or approach me on the sidewalk in the city to tell me what is wrong with me and why I will burn are Christians. Perhaps if they kept their thoughts to themselves, they would not be looked at with such disdain.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
As far as religions go, the Church of England is a pretty benign denomination. It requires less from it's followers than any other prominent religions within our communities. Maybe this is why it's feeling discriminated against, because it doesn't shout as loud as other faiths within the UK.

I can't actually think of a religious person I know. I know no one who goes to church, most people just don't see how religion fits in with our modern understanding of the world due to the discoveries of science. The Church is a dying institution in the UK. Unfortunately other religions have a stronger hold over their followers and will therefor get more attention.

[edit on 29-3-2010 by woodwardjnr]

Yes but the Church of England is in decline and the Born Again happy clappies are in inthe rise. The Church of england is being tarred withthe same brush as this new churches also the Church of England is a broad church with its own obnoxious elements in the congregation.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 05:57 AM
link   

The Church is a dying institution in the UK.
reply to post by woodwardjnr

I would have to agree as far as the church of England is concerned, hence the churches pull towards the mother Catholic church as of late... However there has been a huge upsurge of Evangelicals, Pentecostals, that are full of ex church of England members.... Home churches too are springing up all over the country....
I think the government has underestimated UK Christians numbers because the church of England is seen as the VOICE, however they should be replaced by the dominant Pentecostals as the true representation..

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join